• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

Nags

Banned
I bought this game twice, Asian version when it came out and NA. This game is so worth it and glad to see this available for anyone who hasn't experienced it or just anyone who wanted a digital version (like myself).

Tenrius

:lol I had the exact same thought but my gear is on my dead PS3 so that isn't possible.

Tip for new players: PLAY IN SOUL FORM UNLESS YOU NEED HELP to prevent Ponpo from ganking you.

Which means you need 16 gigs free due to Sony's stupid PS3 swap file bullshit installer.

What's this cowardly talk? Stand up and fight, for the true Demon's Souls starts here!

Ostinatto

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Seanspeed

Banned
Dont have a PS3, but thats pretty freakin cool of Sony.

After falling in love with Dark Souls, I would love to play the original torture fest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's this cowardly talk? Stand up and fight,

Some people don't want to have to deal with Scraping Spears and so giving them a fighting chance of getting better gear than Japanese assholes with S. Spears invading at level 1-40 is not "cowardly," it's SMART.

AAK

Is The Walking Dead Season Pass free? WHat does that mean? Do you get to play all the episodes or something?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is The Walking Dead Season Pass free? WHat does that mean? Do you get to play all the episodes or something?
Ep 1 is free for everyone. Ep 2 - 5 will be on sale for $3 each or $10.50 for the season pass if you have Plus.

Tenrius

Some people don't want to have to deal with Scraping Spears and so giving them a fighting chance of getting better gear than Japanese assholes with S. Spears invading at level 1-40 is not "cowardly," it's SMART.

I was only joking. Actually, I never fought an invader in Demon's Souls during my ongoing first playthrough (40 hours in, SL about 50-60) and whenever I invaded someone, it was a fair fight. My point is that being in Soul form most of the time just because you're afraid of getting killed by a skilled player isn't the best choice because there are also normal invaders, and a lot of them, who add a lot of fun to the game.

dEvAnGeL

I actually enjoy the design level and sort of base/hub that demon's souls have, it makes the game more organized IMO, dark souls was a good game but demon's souls is still my favorite

Mxrz

1-1 doesn't pull any punches like the Undead Burg in Dark. If you can stick with it until you can start leveling up, and make a mad dash for the crescent falchion in 4-1, it gets easier.

Demon's isn't global like Dark. This is the NA version, so it'll mostly be NA players. I've never heard of any significant number of Japanese players in the NA version, especially since the Asian server always had a higher population. The scraping Spear itself is pretty awful. Just about any magic/dragon weapon does more damage. Its really only a danger to Uchi-users, and people that -- for whatever reason -- want to hide behind a shield vs it. It doesn't stunlock, and there isn't any poise crap, so spamming R1 with about anything beats it.

Izuna

Banned
Eh?

Isn't it, "so THAT the world might be mended"?

Either I'm EU and already platinumed, no death, SL1, 2HR run etc.

I couldn't get through or enjoy much of Dark Souls. Focus was changed, and everyone I try to talk Bout it to shoots me down and says Dark Souls isn't sp different =[

So depressing. They need to port Demons's Souls to PC so I can archive this game. It's in my top 5.

For those new to the franchise, don't try to figure everything in your first playthrough, wait for NG+ before you try to be a completionist.

I only died 20 times in my first playthrough
, and 10 of them were from the Old Hero. I didn't know he was blind and thought him like it was Ninja Gaiden.
the thing about DS' is that's its focus isn't like DarkS... It doesn't try to kill the player for the sake of it, Demons's Souls has all of this difficult based on knowledge and not execution.

The problem with that is that after you know what to do, it's rare that you will even get hit, even if your dexterity in action games isn't so good. It just makes it amazingly rewarding.

Dark Souls is... I won't say it's bad, but I don't like it one bit.

This game alone would justify the purchase of a PS3. Now you can get it for free!

Edit:
@TheSeks
I am in complete agreement. Demon's Souls is WAY BETTER than Dark Souls. How I wish Sony had not been so STUPID, we could be playing Demon's Souls 2 right now. Instead, SCAMCO got involved :-(

Nope.

Lucis

Have PS+ no demon soul

Always wanted to get in to see what its about but because of lack of time I haven't got around.

So.... do i need to read up anything about it or I can just start the game. Usually for those games I'd like to know exactly what I get into before I make unreversable decision about choices for character/stat

It's a dark and moody adventure RPG wiith a large focus on strategic sword combat. It has unique loot and upgrades, yes, but it's far from a "loot game".

I have a hard time calling it an RPG to be honest. The gameplay focus is definitely on the action. I put about 8 hours in before I got tired of playing the same sections multiple times. It's a good game but I don't have the patience any more.

Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Plus I fucking hated that bitch and her annoying voice.

Izuna

Banned
Have PS+ no demon soul
So.... do i need to read up anything about it or I can just start the game. Usually for those games I'd like to know exactly what I get into before I make unreversable decision about choices for character/stat

Don't read up on anything, wait for NG+ before you care about missing anything.

Demons's Soul is knowledge based so reading up would completely kill the experience.

Seanspeed

Banned
Have PS+ no demon soul

Always wanted to get in to see what its about but because of lack of time I haven't got around.

If its anything like Dark Souls, it probably wouldn't hurt to read some sort of beginner's guide and then take it from there. Dont read any walkthroughs or anything, though.

TEJ

I have a hard time calling it an RPG to be honest. The gameplay focus is definitely on the action. I put about 8 hours in before I got tired of playing the same sections multiple times. It's a good game but I don't have the patience any more.

The game is a love letter to classic 80's/90's pc role playing, made by the same people brought us kings field which was a love letter to games like ultima underworld.

How it isn't an rpg is beyond me. You remind me of the people who don't consider pokemon to be an rpg, giving it a bullshit genre like "monster raising".

Izuna

Banned
So is Demon's Souls like a loot game? I don't really care for loot games.

Sorry I really don't know much about it.

Hmm, only if you want trophies. The game itself doesn't require any kind of looting at all. Only upgrade paths that are actually rather pointless for 1st playthrough.

Basically, notable loot isn't random. Grinding is possible and pretty effective, but entirely unnecessary unless you are purely a melee character type.

The truth is Demons's Souls IS easy if you know what to do, or you're going to have to be patient and have a good feel with the mechanics of the game. Most of it's difficulty boils down to whether or not you're good at using the invincibility frames on the dodge (like Lost Planet or Ninja Gaiden)...

It's more about it's action than RPG.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So, so many new players from PS+ are gonna get fucking trolled by invasions

Good God I can already feel the RAGE of a thread being created once DS drops tomorrow

Pro-Tip: For fuck sakes don't stay in body form!

soldat7

I'm firmly in the Demon's is better than Dark camp. These are two of the very best this gen has to offer, though.

GraveRobberX

Also get ready for that Orgasmic Experience that is Maiden Astrea =3 level and DAT MUSIC!
DAT Ambiance cant be matched

So the World Might Be Mended!

Mxrz

Have PS+ no demon soul

Back when PvP and online was still a thing. Most people limited themselves to sl-120, so stat placement was more important. But now min-maxing isn't all that big a deal. At worse you end up a few levels higher than you'd be otherwise.

World & character tendency can be a big pain in the backside. Its the only way to get a number of items, which you need for the platinum. But waiting for NG+ makes it easier to understand.

Basically there is white & black tendency for each world, and your character. Killing bosses and black phantoms / invaders makes them more white. While dying with your body (the full health bar), invading other players, and killing 'good' npcs makes them more black.

The really annoying part is world tendency is affected by the servers each time you log in or even reload. It can take you from Pure-white, to 'almost' pure white, and thus screw you out of all the pure white events. It'll also take you from pure black, up to near neutral. So its best to do all your tendency crap in one sitting, or even stay offline altogether for it.

The point of no return for a cycle is when you kill the final Arch-fiend / World boss. You could, for example, do all of world 2, 3, 4, 5, and up to the last boss in 1-4. You can go do any farming you need before jumping into the next cycle.

Hopefully this means the community will increase,and I could get back to it. beating it once is not enough,this game is so much fun.

And more people to invade/get invaded. :')

GraveRobberX

I bought the collector's edition and swapped comic books for Asian version

Need European Version and I'm set for the trifecta, need to finish these up someday once I stop my trophy addiction

Top Bottom