• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

1. Tearaway; Beautiful, moving, adorable, epic. Pretty much the game that made me love the Vita again.

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; I spent 120 hours in this world, and enjoyed every minute of it.

3. Super Mario 3D World ; A case study on how to do a traditional platformer in 3D.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; A fantastic SRPG with a great storyline and graphics. Kept me interested for close to 80 hours, breaking the game through power leveling. So much fun!

5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Completely cleared the bad taste from my mouth for this series after 3. Interesting protag and cast of supporting characters, excellent naval exploration and combat, and you can kill sharks while in a tiny rowboat. BONUS: Shanties!

6. Dragon's Crown ; Gorgeous 2D art that's right up my alley, responsive contols and just enough story to keep you grinding in this beat-em-up. It's like Streets of Rage met Diablo and they hired some strippers.

7. Saints Row IV ; Balls to the wall craziness at every turn.

8. Guacamelee ; 2D Metroidvania done right with style and tongue-in-cheek humor. Nintendo should farm the Metroid series out to these guys and gals!

9. Killzone: Shadow Fall ; A real blast in multiplayer (play WarZone, fuckers!), but the campaign is a bit meh.

10. Resogun ; Shoot the ships, get the points. A bit confusing sometimes, which can be extremely frustrating.

X. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F ; I've barely scratched the surface on this game, but it's a ton of fun and basically the only rhythm game I played this year, so it gets a nod.

X. The Last of Us ; Awesome story, but the game play bummed me out. Too many combat boxes and uninspired "puzzles" to get from place to place.

2012. Hotline Miami ; Fucking FANTASTIC game I only checked out because it was free on PS Plus. HO-LEE-SHIT is it a blast! Don't pass this by if you own a PS3 or Vita (although I enjoyed it a bit more on Vita, it was still great on PS3.) DAT SOUNDTRACK!

traveler

Not Wario
Edit: I'll just post the whole thing with discussion later. Almost forgot about this and left my list blank the whole time.

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut, does it count?

If you quote the opening post, you'll find a link to a spreadsheet that details which games are eligible for voting. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut is on there, so yes it counts.

2012. Hotline Miami ; Fucking FANTASTIC game I only checked out because it was free on PS Plus. HO-LEE-SHIT is it a blast! Don't pass this by if you own a PS3 or Vita (although I enjoyed it a bit more on Vita, it was still great on PS3.) DAT SOUNDTRACK!

Hotline Miami came out on PSN this year, so if you liked it that much then it's probably more appropriate that you include the game in your top ten instead.

hal9001

Banned
TWoIDjg.jpg

1. Super Mario 3D World ; The most fun I have had in gaming this year. The level design is jaw dropping. Seriously this is a masterclass in game development and creativity. Stunning presentation and art design combined with an amazing soundtrack means that this is the best game that 2013 has to offer.

qR2tWcv.jpg

2. The Last Of Us ; The revolution in the industry that manages to give us an award winning story based game without compromising gameplay and player control. No other game effected me this emotionally this year. That opening introduction is unforgettable and the ending was perfect.

GIF_-_Wonderful_101_Thumbs_Up.gif

3. The Wonderful 101 ; Wow! This is the injection that our industry needed. Pure condensed fun that transports you back to the classic days of gaming. Only a few times in gaming have I ever felt such emotion at a certain conclusion when destroying the final boss. Rewarding and challenging control system means that this game is endlessly replayable. Best boss fights of 2013 and amazing soundtrack.

a2ytlU2.jpg

4. Grand Theft Auto V ; Captures the spectacle of gaming that manages to transport us into stunningly crafted worlds that mirror our own society's dark reflection. This is up there with San Andreas as the best in the series. The three character system is wonderful and allows you to play and influence the type of game you want it to be depending on your mood at whether you're looking for more of a story based game or just looking for straight out action.

JYntjai.jpg

5. Pikmin 3 ; My first pikmin game and it was a special experience. Never have I felt such guilt in a game since Shadow of the colosuss, whenever I left a Pikmin behind or seeing a large chuck of them get decimated. Great environments and unquie boss fights.

6. Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut ; Artistic masterpiece. One of the best games this generation.

pKHWmrx.jpg

7. Brothers: a tale of two sons ; One of the best games I have played this year. Beautiful environments and great mechanics ensure that that will be a future cult classic.

3LZGAM6.jpg

8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; What a great action game. The action never stops and the boss fights are incredible. The soundtrack is one of the best this year. This game would have been higher on the list if it had had just a little more content in terms of the main story.

3UBD6PS.jpg

9. Beyond Two Souls ; I loved it. One of the best experiences I have had in gaming. The graphics are the best of this generation and I literally had to stop all the time to admire the scenes. The soundtrack is also up there with the best of this year.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker hd ; If being honest this is truly the best game of the year. It's just that it would have been unfair to the games released this year to put first on the list. Anyway this game fixes the few minor flaws that it had and the graphical upadate looks beautiful. Definitely one fo the best games ever made.

Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-Wii-U-YouTube-Channel-Art-640x360.jpg

Cairnsay

Banned
This GAF GOTY as a member, and what a year its been for games. Exceptional games, spread across all the platforms. I must confess due to me not owning any model of 3/2DS till Christmas day I will probably have to wait to give A Link Between Worlds its proper's till 2014's 2013 LTTP category. ANYWAY without further ado.

1. The Last Of Us ; Having had pretty much a whole generation, and three games to fully understand and take advantage of the Playstation 3's complex hardware, Naughty Dog knock it out the park, across the city, over the the shitty park on the outskirts of town and into gaming greatness. The story, and telling thereof, was the crown jewel, there was no room for one dimensional, square jawed hero's who save the world, just a man completely broken by events, and the situation he finds himself. No under developed female characters who are only there to provide some eye candy, in there place the likes of Ellie, a girl who cannot even comprehend what life as what we consider a normal girl must have been like. Tess, who's character is stronger than that of our leading man, had it been she who survived and took Ellie cross country there is little doubt as to what she would have done in Joel situation. I know some people have a problem with the way it plays, for me though I think it was just about perfect, the tension of the stealth, the brutality of the physical encounters, the quiet moments when you stumble some left over reminder of the horror people have been through. It was easily my favorite game this year, may this generation.

2. GTA V ; If The Last Of Us is the thought provoking masterpiece, this is the balls out, insanely fun, action film. Rockstar clearly learned some valuable lessons from both the issues people had with GTA IV and the praise that was heaped upon Red Dead Redemption. To me the biggest improvement, the mission design, aside from a few 'Get X number of these cars' mission were fun, rarely did I find myself bored or frustrated at something the game was asking me to do. The characters were far better, I feel all three were more interesting than Niko, the supporting cast also being a notable step up.

3. Bioshock: Infinite ; Had this come out in another year it probably would have been number 1, and I had to seriously consider it at number two, ultimately I feel that GTA V was more fun to play. However were there a category for 'Game that had me staring at the screen, jaw increasingly getting closer to the floor' then the ending of Infinite would take it.

4. The Stanley Parable ; Brilliantly questioning the notion/illusion of choice in video game narrative.

5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD ; A lesson in how to release a HD version of a 10 year old gaming classic, the updated graphics are beautiful. As much as people may claim Nintendo games strike a chord with younger gamers, 27 year old me was far more touched by some of the scenes in the game than 17 year old me. Being the last of my siblings to fly the coup this year, the scene Link see's his Grandma standing alone on the balcony of there house as he sails away really got to me, as did his first return to Outset, where he finds his Grandma in poor health, seemingly being brought on by being left alone, I stopped everything else I was doing I went and got that fairy dust to fix her straight away. Then turned off the Wii U and checked on my Mum.

6. Gone Home ; A touching two hour experience that brilliantly took a left turn and didn't take the way out everyone expected it too.

7. Arkham Origins ; In terms gameplay this isn't a patch on Rocksteady's efforts, and there are a lot of technical hiccups. That being said, as a big Batman geek I feel WB Montreal really nailed the story, to the point where I feel its actually stronger than Asylum and City.

8. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag ; Assassins Creed is back to being big dumb fun, and was my 2nd next gen experience. Speaking of which...

9. FIFA 14 ; I know, its the same every year, however it was the first game I played on my PS4, and for me its still the best sports series out there.

10. Device 6 ; I feel this year wasn't up there with 2012 for mobile games, Device 6 however was a highlight.

2012. Far Cry 3 ; I always admired Far Cry 2 from afar, it looked brilliant but I thought I just wouldn't be able to deal with it. I finally took the plunge with Far Cry 3 in February and was just blown away, sure it goes downhill a little in its final third, but its just so much fun you barely notice.

1. Dragon's Crown ; This is the anti-TLOU, anti-Tomb Raider, anti-GTAV. Any game that is the perfect counterpoint to the barrage of self-serious filmic shit is the hands down GOTY. George Kamitani is fighting the good fight.

2. Path of Exile ; Best free game ever. It's probably even better than Diablo III, and it's free. How is this not the story of the year? It would be GOTY if not for Sorceress.

Chorazin

If you quote the opening post, you'll find a link to a spreadsheet that details which games are eligible for voting. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut is on there, so yes it counts.

Hotline Miami came out on PSN this year, so if you liked it that much then it's probably more appropriate that you include the game in your top ten instead.

I don't think 2012 ports to home consoles this year counts for 2013. Plus, I could have played this it in 2012 if I had really wanted to, I think i'll just keep it in the LTTP category.

1. Dragon's Crown ; This is the anti-TLOU, anti-Tomb Raider, anti-GTAV. Any game that is the perfect counterpoint to the barrage of self-serious filmic shit is the hands down GOTY. George Kamitani is fighting the good fight.

My man.

ThisOne

1. The Last of Us; Excellent story, gameplay was very polished and a lot of fun, the setting, graphics, pretty much everything was great. Even the multiplayer was surprisingly fun and intense. Easily my favorite game this year.

2. Grand Theft Auto V; Heists were a lot of fun. I also really enjoyed the character switching aspect. Los Santos felt so much like a real world to me than Liberty City from IV. Some of the side missions were pretty boring (searching for submarine parts, nuclear waste, etc.), but overall, this game was a lot of fun. Disappointing online aspect. Soundtrack was much better than IV.

3. Guacamelee; Loved the art style and the game controlled perfectly. I still want to try out the DLC level.

4. Bioshock Infinite; While I missed the Big Daddy fights from previous Bioshock games, the story and setting helped this game still really stand out for me this year.

5. Battlefield 4; This was my first time experiencing Battlefield and anything close to 60 frames per second and it was marvelous. Too bad the launch was filled with so many bugs and glitches. When it works, it is a lot of fun.

6. Hotline Miami (Vita); Easily the most fun I had with a Vita game this year. The twitch gameplay was addictive and the music was sublime.

7. Dota 2; Had this game officially been released in 2012, it would have been my number one game last year. I actually didn't play it much in 2013 but was glued to my computer in 2012 playing it. The community is kind of shitty and rude but it's so much fun once you learn the basics and play with a few friends.

8. Resogun; Not as good as Geometry Wars but it does have a pretty great score system and that "just one more" mentality going for it.

9. Bit.Trip Runner2; I got this game for free thanks to Playstation Plus and really enjoyed it. The game's aesthetic and music were good and it really was great to just pick up and play for a few minutes here and there.

10. Killzone: Shadow Fall; I honestly didn't play this one very much but from what I did play, I really enjoyed. Good showcase for the power of the PS4.

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; Breathtakingly beautiful world. Fantastic characters (even the fucked up ones). Great visuals. Great soundtrack (phenomenal soundtrack). Great acting. AND FUCKING HEISTS MAKE THIS NUMBER ONE, HEISTS MOTHERFUCKER, EVERY GTA GAME SHOULD BE ABOUT HEISTS CAUSE FUCKING HEISTS ARE AWESOME.

rsggtavscreenshot344jpg-e94291_640w.jpg

2. The Last of Us ; Naughty Dog finally brought me to the edge of tears. Fantastic performances, great story, beautiful world, haunting soundtrack. It's hard to say I had fun with this game, because it feels so oppressive... but at the end, the entire journey was worth it.

lastofus2gc03jpg-9d8388_640w.jpg

3. Tomb Raider ; I'll be honest: I like cinematic action/adventure games. Uncharted fucking owns my soul. But Tomb Raider... Tomb Raider was a fucking great ride. I wasn't attached to the old TR games, so I was actually really amped to see a game of this style: Cinematic action, survival horror atmosphere, likable protagonist (I liked her...). Plus, great visuals and soundtrack. I have a few niggles with the story, but I ended up loving the game. Perfect blend of horror and adventure. I hope the next one amps up the fear and terror of the unknown. Loved this game.

tombraidergc09jpg-4406f1_640w.jpg

4. Bioshock Infinite ; Like Tomb Raider, I wasn't particularly attached to the predecessor BS games. But I really, really enjoyed Infinite. Booker and Liz are fantastic characters. The world is really cool. And I adored the crazy, fucked up storyline.

lizbookonlinejpg-48a8a3_640w.jpg

5. Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag ; The modern day storyline still angers me. AC3 left me furious (I liked the main game, but the meta game, DEAR GOD THEY SHIT THE BED). However! AC4 is a great title. Being a pirate is a ton, a ton of fun. The world on PS4 is incredibly vast and gorgeous. Great soundtrack as usual with AC games. Good acting. Even the Assassin/Templar stuff was tolerable. Plus, they threw in a few neat twists into the meta-game that I wasn't expecting that were actually neat.

atv-nh4ubn-tbos01jpg-883650_640w.jpg

6. Batman Arkham Origins ; YOUNG PISSED OFF RAGEAHOLIC BATMAN IS THE BEST BATMAN. WB Montreal did a fantastic job with this title. Yeah, it basically plays like AC, but why fix it if it ain't broke? The actors did great. Looks lovely. Great soundtrack. And the story is the best one out of all the Arkham games. It's genuinely fantastic.

baobatmangroundpunchjpg-50f842_640w.jpg

7. Splinter Cell Blacklist ; I liked Conviction. I liked the three original games. This one is pretty great. New actor for Sam is eh... but it's a really fun game.

scbimage5png-9f0c65_640w.png

8. Dead Space 3 ; This game should not have been co-op. Story and pacing do suffer. I hadn't noticed it while playing, but time has distanced me and I overcame my love of the Dead Space series and space horror in general to become aware of its flaws. That said, beautiful game, great soundtrack, plays awesomely, love the suits, Isaac, and crafting system. Great ride, sad that the Dead Space series is dead.

ds3space3-copyjpg-44207d_640w.jpg

9. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon ; Michael Biehn for the win.

far-cry-3-blood-dragon04jpg-acafbf_640w.jpg

10. dmc - Devil May Cry ; I started this game last week, only three missions in. It's fun. Never played the other DMC games, but I'm really liking this so far. Since I'm not finished it, I'm tossing it at the end of my list.

dmc-devil-may-crys02jpg-9d9321_640w.jpg

x. Saint's Row IV ; SR4 is my honorable mention. Fun. Didn't finish it.

1. Killer Instinct ; I've been saying for years that if Microsoft brought back this series, I'd throw all of my money at them. They did and I did. It doesn't disappoint. It's everything I could have wanted. The fighting system is fun, the graphics really pop, the soundtrack is amazing, and it's so much fun even just playing against the AI. Easily the game I've spent the most time with this year.

2. Call of Duty: Ghosts ; Dogs! But seriously, I always enjoy CoD. The campaign is usually a fun, explosion-filled rollercoaster and the multiplayer is like laser tag. I actually enjoy things being slowed down a little this year, and that you don't need to grind for hours with iron sights any more. When I come home from a long day, it's either Ghosts or Killer Instinct, so to #2 it goes.

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Assassin's Creed III was one of those rare games that left me actually angry and bitter. I didn't like the changes to the series, but I slogged through it for the sake of seeing the ending. What a mistake. When I saw IV announced, I was even more enraged. But the more I saw of it, the more I calmed down, and now I'm quite enamoured with the game. They've done a good job of opening it up for the pirate theme while still allowing it to feel like an Assassin's Creed game. It's fresh rather than stale. A good direction for the series, it's at #3 for me.

4. Pokémon X & Y ; I'm not really into JRPGs, but Pokémon Y (in my case) has proven to be the exception. I think there's just something charming about the whole affair, and the evolutions and catching critters keeps you chugging away longer than usual. I think the simplistic battle system actually works to its advantage, and the fact you can actually battle other people is a huge plus. There was also a panda pokémon this year, and I'll be damned if that doesn't get it some brownie points.

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; This was a game series in danger of becoming stale, but I think the changes with you becoming (fake) mayor are enough to keep it feeling fun. It's a charming game that's really suited to its platform. You can play it on commutes, in lunch breaks, and just before bed. It's a great way to just unwind from everything. Sometimes, you don't want it all to be about shooty-shooty and that's where New Leaf comes in.

6. Tomb Raider ; I found it odd that I liked this, given that I don't like Uncharted. I think the difference is that for all its narrative pretensions, the game was still actually really fun to play. Yes, Lara turns into Rambo at the end and that's pretty silly but, again, it's fun. It didn't invoke memories of 1996 and playing the original (a game still close to my heart) but I did feel that it was successful as a reboot and bringing Lara into the modern age rather than leaving her as a figurehead for mid-90s tat.

7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Another series that I find it odd that I like, given that the gameplay is nearly non-existent. However, the whole experience is just so wonderfully charming that it's hard not to get swept up in it all. The game was at a solid price, had a wonderful visual upgrade, and basically was a great justifcation for my little 2DS. You'll only ever play it once, but it will stay with you forever.

8. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F ; I used to be really, really good at DDR. I was young and thin and I used to play it in the arcades for about an hour every morning. Now I'm old and fat and balding and I'm sure going to play DDR in the arcades would probably get me a visit from Chris Hansen. Project DIVA F allowed me to get that DDR gameplay vibe without being fit and all while confining my shame to my own home. Helps that the tracks are catchy, too. I listened to World's End Dancehall on repeat for days.

9. Injustice
; This was a fighting game where the fights really did feel epic. I thought the actual gameplay was quite shallow but it was still really fun to throw motorbikes and stuff at each other. The fleshed out story also really helped matters, as I'm not one to take fighting games online. In fact, I enjoyed it so much it actually got me into reading DC Comics.

10. BioShock Infinite ; I did not like BioShock. I thought it was a pretentious affair trying to be too smart for its own good. It's commentary on agency in linear video games and the illusion of choice meant that we got a linear video game that wasn't very much fun to play. I did not feel that way about Infinite, which I bought on a whim when it was on sale in the PlayStation Store. The gameplay was much more engaging, going around on those skyhooks things was super fun, and while I saw the twist coming a mile off, how the ending was handled was actually pretty impressive. It left me going "Wow!" Sure, the plot was full of holes and whatnot, but I still enjoyed this game, so it comes in at #10.

x. Batman: Arkham Origin
; Another game I really enjoyed when I didn't enjoy its predecessor. I felt that Origins was a better paced, more directed affair and that there was a much better grip on the characters, especially Batman. Sure, it was buggy (although I played on the Wii U, so it wasn't as bad) but it was still a good, solid romp.

x. Halo: Spartan Assault ; Playing this on windows 8 with a 360 controller was great fun. I'm always a big fan of twin-stick shooters and I'm a huge Halo nut, so this was a great little purchase. It's a bonus I get the Xbox One version for a cheaper price because I already own it. Not quite cross-buy, but better than a slap in the face.

2012. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ; Got this of PS+. Took me by surprise as with all the negativity surrounding the studio and the tax-funding scandal I got the impression it was a bad game. It's actually really, really fun. Reminds me of a cross between Fable and WoW. I really enjoyed the aesthetic and vibe. I kind of wish I'd discovered it last year as there was enough content there and enough variety to keep me entertained for a while. Too bad no one wants to touch the IP. :(

I don't think 2012 ports to home consoles this year counts for 2013. Plus, I could have played this it in 2012 if I had really wanted to, I think i'll just keep it in the LTTP category.

According to the spreadsheet, it does count. But hey, it's your list and it's up to you. I just thought you might have wanted it in your top ten, considering how much you liked the game.

Strider

1. The Last of Us ; Incredible, emotionally charged story with very interesting characters. Great graphics and surprisingly addicting multiplayer as well.
2. Dota 2
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. Tearaway
5. Bioshock: Infinite
6. Pikmin 3
7. Pokemon X/Y
8. GTAV
9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
10. Rayman Legends

2012. Sleeping Dogs ; PORK BUN

b0bbyJ03

Just wanna say that threads like this make me love gaming culture cause the passion pretty much jumps of the page as you read peoples thoughts... i myself am a AAA gamer for the simple reason that my job and life only allow me a few hours a week to really game so i don't have the time i use to have to dive deep into random titles but i will say this was a great year for AAA.

1. The Last of Us ; I cant describe how much i enjoyed this game... beautiful scenery that looked like artists's paintings come to life, great characters with amazing acting. great story. i mean it had everything.

2. Battlefield 4 ; multiplayer! i was addicted to 3 and sunk hundreds of hours into multiplayer and it looks like ill be doing the same for this one.

3. Resogun ; im sooo addicted to this games scoring system.

4. GTA 5 ; Best open world game i've ever played that wasn't an RPG. hilarious script and characters, fun as hell.

5. Bioshock infinite ; Elizabeth! the story, the world, could have had slightly better gameplay but still great.

6. Tomb Raider ; nice to see they can still make a great tomb raider game. It had a lot wrong with it but in the end it was fun and that's all that matters to me.

7. Assassin's creed black flag ; playing this one on ps4 and so far its been amazing

Nasreddin

1. MirrorMoon EP ; The perfect "lost in space" atmosphere makes this game an interactive version of 2001: a space odyssey
2. Hotline Miami ; Never before had a game a better "flow".
3. The Stanley Parable ;
4. The Wolf Among Us: Faith ;
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ;
6. 140 ;
7. Antichamber ;
8. State of Decay ;
9. Teslagrad ; My favorite Metroidvania in years
10. Luxuria Superbia ;
x. Gone Home ;
x. Tomb Raider ;
x. Guacamelee ;
2012. Catherine ;

Levyne

Banned
Guess it's about time I do this.

All of the Assassins Creed IV mentions are interesting as well. I wonder how 3 was represented in last years list. I'll have to look that up.

b0bbyJ03 said:
Just wanna say that threads like this make me love gaming culture cause the passion pretty much jumps of the page as you read peoples thoughts....

Yep :)

Sorry, dude:

Ineligible games:
  • Games released on PC in a previous year and released on Steam or other sales portals this year

Confirmed ineligible games: Final Fantasy VII (Steam),

Wikipedia said:
Microsoft Windows
NA January 25, 2000
EU February 18, 2000
JP March 23, 2000

Final Fantasy VIII doesn't appear to be eligible for this poll, regardless of its quality.

GREATNESS AWAITS

The_Last_of_Us_Banner.jpg

1. The Last of Us ; Words can't explain the effect this game had on me. The character development/interactions are enough to make this game shine brighter than most. The atmosphere, gameplay, voice acting and script is just a plus. After playing TLOU you find yourself stuck on these characters. You want to live in their dangerous world just so you can be around them. The ending is perfect, in my opinion. This game made me laugh, made me cry, made me cringe, made me shiver and it was all worth it. GOTY.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; This game shakes up the traditional Zelda formula by letting you attack any dungeon in whatever order you wish. Who knew such freedom would bring me so much joy. Renting items also made the cost of dying more pricey. The visuals are outstanding and the boss battles are fun/entertaining. The 3D visuals really do stand out in this game. With the inclusion of Lowrule and Link's new wall ability this game kept me content through and through.

3. Bioshock Infinite ; Bioshock 1 has long been one of my favorite FPS games of all-time, so you can imagine the disappointment the sequel brought me. Bioshock Infinite was all I wanted it to be. It proposed a perplexing story that kept your head spinning during the entirety of the game. Infinite also introduces one of the most admirable characters in gaming history: Elizabeth. I also found the Lutece "twins" to bring a comical spin to the story. I loved the atmosphere, tone, vigors, and story. But Elizabeth's innocent, ignorant and sometimes naive dialogue is what kept me going.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; I was never good at tactical RPGs but I still loved playing them. FE:A taught me how to play this certain genre correctly. With the inclusion of difficulty settings and well-taught gameplay mechanic I quickly found myself hooked to this game. The ability to marry your characters was great. Also, the narrative between each character was unique among every relationship. This game made me a true Fire Emblem fan.

5. Pokemon X and Y ; I will keep this one short. PXY brought a visual innovation to Gamefreak's longtime Pokemon game franchise. With the addition of a new Pokemon breed to shake up the way people choose their primary Pokemon and a new world to explore, this game kept me playing for hours on end.

6. Tomb Raider ; A protagonist revamp goes a long way in this case. It made me actually enjoy the game more than I'd imagine. With a big focus on survival instead of "get dem dual pistols and shoot errything" I felt more challenged while playing. Crystal Dynamics you're moving in the right direction.

7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; I'll keep this one VERY short. The game gave me the perfect sense of what it would actually feel like to be a pirate on the seven seas. ARRRRG. A pirate's life is the life for me.

gta5trevor-banner.jpg

xx. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; While people are just about to freak out for me not adding this to my actual list, let me explain first. I HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME YET. It would be a crime for me to add this to the list without even finishing 50% of the game or more. I had to mention that the time I had playing the game was fun and interesting being that San Andreas is my favorite GTA game. The gameplay dynamic involving the switching between characters is smoother than expected. The story is pretty bland in my opinion but the world and always entertaining character interactions make up for it. I love how just about everything in modern culture is parodied. Maybe if I finish this game before deadline I will add it to the list.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
1. MirrorMoon EP ; The perfect "lost in space" atmosphere makes this game an interactive version of 2001: a space odyssey
2. Hotline Miami ; Never before had a game a better "flow".
3. The Stanley Parable ;
4. The Wolf Among Us: Faith ;
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ;
6. 140 ;
7. Antichamber ;
8. State of Decay ;
9. Teslagrad ; My favorite Metroidvania in years
10. Luxuria Superbia ;
x. Gone Home ;
x. Tomb Raider ;
x. Guacamelee ;
2012. Catherine ;

Question for the OP's, does Hotline Miami count? Since it was released on VIta this year, even though there is nothing 'new' about it?

1. The Last of Us ; One of the best told stories I've experienced in any media, period. The ending punched me in the gut and it still hurts 6 months later.

2. Super Mario 3D World ; This is the epitome of my love for Nintendo. From the art to the level design it's the best 3D platformer since the Galaxy games.

3. Battlefield 4 ; Bugs and crashes aside this is a huge improvement over BF3 and is my go to multiplayer.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD ; Wanna remake a game? This is how you do it. Improve the broken parts (triforce fetch) and crank up the visuals to 11 while keeping the integrity of the original game.

5. Guacamelee ; Another Metroidvania game with huge amounts of charm and fun gameplay. If we get one of these every year like we did last year with Dust: An Elysian Tail I'll be one happy guy.

6. Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag ; This is my first Assassins Creed game so the formula is all new to me but I'm enjoying the open pirate world.

7. Resogun ; Next gen's Geometry Wars. It's challenging, pretty to look at, and addicting, exactly what an arcarde shooter should be.

8. Bioshock Infinite ; I struggled through the middle-end of the game but the first 3 hours is some of the best at setting a tone and atmosphere.

9. Rayman Legends ; It's the game my son and I go to for some fun side scrolling platforming. Oh and what a great looking game.

10. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; I spent about 3 hours on night hot swapping a controller with my buddy as we tried to launch our super car farther than the other guy. The sandbox was lots of fun in just messing around. The single player didn't hold my interest however.

2012: New Super Mario Bros. U ; Strangely enough the Wal Mart demo of this game sold me on the Wii U. HD Nintendo games are glorious and I have no regrets jumping in the sinking ship.

Acccent

I'm not going to vote because there are way too many games I haven't played and I don't really like the whole list concept anyway but:

damn - how can one keep up with this thread? I'm a bit amazed by the amount of time people are willing to put into writing up their impressions, even though they probably won't be read by a lot of people - impressed and a bit overwhelmed. I know I won't have time to read it all, let alone write as much. So, kudos to you guys. :)

All of the Assassins Creed IV mentions are interesting as well. I wonder how 3 was represented in last years list. I'll have to look that up.

Anecdotal and personal obviously, but AC 3 did not make my top 10 or even warrant a honorable mention last year...AC IV is my GOTY this year.

level44

Vorschau-The-Last-of-Us-Banner.jpg

1. The Last of Us ; Absolute masterpiece of a game. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The pacing just sucks you in and couple that with it's ongoing twists and turns of story you have something really special. The game makes you empathise with the characters, it makes you want them to succeed and most of all they feel human. They feel like real people, something that many, many other games have failed to do. The gameplay is also fantastic with it's stealth-esque approach but it also gives you a chance to assess the situation and plan out attacks. Couple that with crafting ability and every play through becomes different. I cannot speak more highly of this game and it is the game of 2013 that most deserves the title of GOTY. I look back on the other games released in 2013 and really, they pale in comparison.

Connor really brought the enjoyment of AC3 down by a lot for me. I did not like his character at all.
I'm glad that Ubisoft listened to the fans about what they liked the most about the game (naval combat) and rolled with it.
I love AC4

Pro

The Last of Us ; Absolute masterpiece of a game. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The pacing just sucks you in and couple that with it's ongoing twists and turns of story you have something really special. The game makes you empathise with the characters, it makes you want them to succeed and most of all they feel human. They feel like real people, something that many, many other games have failed to do. The gameplay is also fantastic with it's stealth-esque approach but it also gives you a chance to assess the situation and plan out attacks. Couple that with crafting ability and every play through becomes different. I cannot speak more highly of this game and it is the game of 2013 that most deserves the title of GOTY. I look back on the other games released in 2013 and really, they pale in comparison.

Better put a 1. at the beginning of that so it's counted :) Gotta get those LoU votes tallied after all.

krioto

1. The Last Of Us ; Fantastic story, characters and game-play
2. Killzone Mercenary ; Blew me away that this was on the Vita - great re-playable campaign and the multi-player is really good fun
3. GTA 5 ; Many others have said what needs to be said about this - mainly, it was miles better than GTA4
4. Far Cry 3 ; Another return to form
5. Killzone - Shadow Fall ; Multi-player is superb, no auto-aim, and the campaign is a call back to old-school FPS. No hand-holding, and a nice mix of intense action and exploration/stealth.
6. Tearaway ; just an all round fantastic experience - so innovative

Levyne

Banned
Anecdotal and personal obviously, but AC 3 did not make my top 10 or even warrant a honorable mention last year...AC IV is my GOTY this year.

Connor really brought the enjoyment of AC3 down by a lot for me. I did not like his character at all.
I'm glad that Ubisoft listened to the fans about what they liked the most about the game (naval combat) and rolled with it.
I love AC4

Guys stop.

I only have a finite amount of money and time x_x

But I'll definitely put it on my radar, haha.

Empty

1. the last of us ; great character driven story. amazing environmental design. fun and fluid stealth-action hybrid.
2. tearaway ; infinite charm
3. guacamelee ; such fun combat. good challenging platforming and bosses.
4. gome home ; kinda contrived but i love the sense of optimism in this game
5. luigi's mansion 2 ; the attention to detail is amazing. feels almost like a good animated film in the way luigi reacts to things. suffers from padding.
6. animal crossing: new leaf ; best version of a delightful and unique series.
7. bioshock infinite ; such vivid colours. fast paced shooting was fun.
8. sly cooper: thieves in time ; way more fun than i expected. return to form for series.

kpaadet

1. The Last of Us ; For me one of the things to decide how good a game is, is who long you thought about it while not playing it, and since I still often think about the characters and the ending there no doubt this is my GoTY it might even be my GoTG.

2. Ni No Kuni ; Studio Ghibli's art style really shines and with its heartwarming story and pokemon-esque gameplay makes it one of the few jrpg I cared enough to try out, and now I want more.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; I doubt there is a game this gen (PS360) with a bigger and more detailed world than GTA5, I have put so many hours into it yet I only feel like I scratched the surface.

4. Tearaway ; I cannot play this game without smiling, it rides a thin line of using too many control gimmicks but manage to stay on the right side at all times.

5. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; As a spiritual successor to my favourite Zelda game, it only needed to be half as good to make me happy, luckily its much more than just half as good.

6. Guacamelee ; If Nintendo doesn't want to give me a real 2D Metroid then I guess I will have to go to DrinkBox.

7. Bioshock Infinite ; While it might have been the most disapointing game of my top10 it is still very much worth playing through with its beautiful world and twist ending.

8. Killzone: Mercenary ; Guerrilla Cambridge made a better Killzone that Guerrilla have since KZ2, that they did it on the Vita only meant they also created the best FPS on any handheld.

9. Papers Please ; If it wasn't for TLoU this might have been the most depressing game of the year, but depressing like The Road or Requiem for a Dream (that is awesome depressing), very few games can make a normally mundane job look exciting and addicting.

10. Beyond: Two Souls ; Say what you will about David Cage (and what hasn't be said tbh) but he does make games that dosn't follow the same cookie-cutter pattern most games these days follow. Also playing as Jodie Holms/Aiden was really fun.

x. Hearthstone ; Its still in beta, but its so much fun and I can't wait until I can play this while at work/school or on the shitter.

2012. Persona 4 Golden ; As I mentioned with Ni No Kuni I am not a jrpg guy, but there are exceptions and this is one of them. Amazing game, and I will continue to play it long after we hit 2014.

Tabular

Banned
tumblr_mr44h9e2Kg1sq5nd0o1_500.gif

1. The Last of Us;
2. Grand Theft Auto V;
3. Mario 3d World;
4. DOTA 2; great game, I still like LoL more
5. Bioshock Infinite;
6. Tomb Raider;
7. Pikman 3;
8. Ni No Kuni;
9. Killzone Shadow Fall;
10. Battlefield 4;

I_Am_CC

1. The Last Of Us; No other game has ever pulled me into its world the way TLOU did. Nearly everything about it was top notch, graphics, story, voice acting... the perfect blend of stealth and oh so satisfying gunplay and brutal melee combat. I played through the story three times only then to get hooked on the excellent multiplayer.
2. Bioshock Infinite;
3. Dragons Crown; Proving that a old school 2D beat em up doesn't need to be confined to being a downloadable title. We need more of this
4. Ni No Kuni;
5. Guacamelee;
6. Resogun;
7. Tomb Raider;
8. Need For Speed Rivals;
The most fun I've had so far on PS4 out of the disc based games I own.
9. Diablo III; Even after 500+ hours on the PC I was able to get right back into the action on consoles and have a blast.
10. Grand Theft Auto V;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
forgive my laziness, I suppose, but is there a complete list of major game releases in 2013?

1. The Last of Us ; While the story and the characters are probably the main draw in this game (and they are great), what seals this game for me is the setting and atmosphere. I love a game that can create a well-imagined and believable world, and this is it (other than the mass-murdering that goes on, but that's an argument for another time, and that is a part of almost all video games - not just this one). I love Naughty Dog because of their attention to detail in the worlds they create, and how they make you care about the characters. Naughty Dog existing is the primary reason I purchased a PS4 rather than an XBoxOne - there is very little chance I won't buy Uncharted 4 and whatever they put out after that.

2. Rayman Legends ; Pretty much the polar opposite of The Last of Us. I almost didn't buy this game because I thought retrofitting the touch controls for non-touch-based-systems would be nonsense. But a sale convinced me to give it a try, and am I ever glad I did. The only word I can really use to describe the game is delightful. It's so colorful and charming and fun, and the music is wonderful, and everything is just so happy - I can't sing this game's praises enough. In a world where there are so many games that are dark and gritty, it's refreshing to play a game like this once in a while.

3. Antichamber ; Just an all-around excellent puzzle game. This game drops you into the world and lets you figure out everything, and I appreciate the lack of hand-holding. One of those games where you feel great when you figure out how to get past something you were having difficulty with before.

4. Spelunky ; This game sort of came out of no where and ate a significant chunk of my time. I was deep into Super Meat Boy when this game initially came to XBLA, and I was hearing a lot of hype for it, and I thought maybe it would scratch that same itch that Super Meat Boy did. I played a bit of it on my 360, but I didn't get it. Didn't seem like my thing.

Then, earlier this year, it came out on PC with some new features. I bought it again and gave it a try again, and it started to click more, but it fell by the wayside as I played other things.

Finally, late in December (after I made this list), I started playing it yet again, and it consumed most of my brief Christmas break. I don't know how to explain why I like it so much all of a sudden. It just started to click. I completely understand why people wouldn't like it, because it is super unforgiving, and having very little progress carry can be annoying, but setting a goal for a play session can be super-rewarding. For instance, the first time I learned the final item to complete the shortcut to the temple was the key from the caves, I thought getting it there would be impossible. Then, one play session, I set the goal of getting the key there so I could focus on the temple for a while. Finally getting the key there was a great feeling. After beating the game (using shortcuts, of course), I set a goal of making it to the City of Gold, which I was able to accomplish...and immediately died while there. But at least I made it. Next goal: kill the alien lord on the mothership.

5. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus ; I love mainline Ratchet & Clank games (not Full Frontal Assault, etc.), and this is definitely a Ratchet & Clank game. I only wish it was longer, but for the brief time I played it, I was happy. When I wonder to myself how people can still care about games like Call of Duty, I have to remind myself that I would be perfectly happy if Insomniac released a new Ratchet & Clank game every two years for the rest of my life. Something about the combination of their cartoony world and absurd weapons just always works for me.

6. The Swapper ; Even though it's mostly a puzzle game, I thought the atmosphere and story of The Swapper were almost as big a draw as the puzzles. It's very short, but some of its puzzles are brutal, and the art style and sound direction contribute to the fantastic atmosphere. I always enjoy something novel, and this game is definitely that.

7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; My qualms with the game are few. First, it's too easy (although I thought I heard there was an additional difficulty? Was it unlocked immediately, or do you have to beat it first?), I don't think the item rental is quite the revelation it was made out to be, and as much as I liked going back to this world, I wish it had been an all-new world.

That being said, it was a fantastic game, and I could scarcely put it down once I started playing it. I hope Nintendo applies the design of this game to their next console Zelda - if they do, I might purchase a WiiU.

8. Saints Row IV ; Look, I know the game isn't as good as The Third was, and it wasn't as crazy, but I want to include this for how much fun I had in the game's open world. And not necessarily the activities of the open world, but just getting around. I played on the PC, and moving around the city at a high speed at a high resolution with a high frame rate was just plain impressive. I also really, really liked the dubstep gun.

9. BioShock Infinite ; The story was pretty good and the combat was fine, but what really got me here was the world they created. Those guys really know how to give their games a sense of place. Near the opening, when you get your first glimpse of the floating cities, is incredible.

10. Grand Theft Auto V ; Another game where I'm sort of more impressed by the world than the game itself. I still find the core of GTA enjoyable, though, and this is definitely a GTA game.

2012. Mark of the Ninja ; Not a whole lot to say about this - the art style is nice and clean, it controls great, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game while staying as stealthy as I could. It's a stealth game that mostly eschews the trial and error structure of some other stealth games, which makes it more fun to play.

fastmower

1. The Last of Us ; The most believable and immersive game I have played. I was blown away.
2. Super Mario 3D World ; Fantastic bite-sized levels, great power-ups, lovely music. Tons of game for game's sake fun.
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; The most fun I have had playing a GTA game. The world felt so rich and alive.
4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; Surprise of the year.
5. Metro: Last Light ; Excellent shooter with great art, graphics, and a cool story to boot.

My man! I'll ignore the Tomb Raider love since you gave the 101 their due. And, yeah, anyone who thought Galaxy's final boss music was great needs to give this a listen. Truly the goat.

I didn't love Tomb Raider, but it was one of the better games I personally played this year. I don't think it did any one thing particularly great, but I thought a lot of aspects were at least above average and I was surprised that I actually played through the entire thing. I think it laid a solid foundation but has plenty of room to improve. I'm stoked for a sequel as I think if it were to improve on things the first one didn't do very well it could be a phenomenal game. Had I played more games this year (waiting for the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed IV for example) it may have not made the list. Games like GTAV, while I enjoyed (first GTA I've bothered to play through), I find the gameplay something of a chore and I don't think I could ever replay through the story-- despite being a pretty good story with pretty good characters.

But yes! Wonderful 101's final boss theme is godlike and saying it's my favorite of all time is nothing I'm saying with ease, considering Bayonetta's, Galaxy 2's, many of the Final Fantasies, Resident Evil 2, and so on. But for me it just edges those out.

mancan92

Banned
1. GTA 5 ; I know gaf doesnt want this game to win but for me this emphasises the best the medium has to offer in absolutely every way. well done rock star

2. tomb raider; One of the best exploration games Ive played this generation. So few people bothered with the item searching which is sad especially how strong traversal is in this game.

3.nino kuni; Oh Ghibli you guys really are the gods of animation. This truely is another master piece. I just hope one day someone throws huge money at another Ghibli game as it has the potential to other throw the greatest of videogame characters

4.Bioshock; that ending......................

5. Rayman fiesta run; yes an IOS game. This is the most addictive platformer Ive played for a long time.

6. Last Of Us; One of the great video game stories. But for me it has one major pitfall which drops it from ever being one of the great games. and thats its gameplay (the whole point of the medium). It is just a very boring game to play unfortunately

7. Wolf Among Us; Dont know if I can add this but it was an awesome start to what will be another tell tell classic.

1. Journey ; This video game is utterly honest in its delivery of atmosphere, tone and story. It is earnest, and there is nothing here that has not been lovingly created for any other reason than to try and communicate with the player on an emotional level. There is no wasted time or space, no excess fat. I found it completely immersive; and, at times, actually eliciting an emotional response from me. I've not felt quite like this playing any other video game in my life. It's the only time that I've ever forgotten that I was holding a controller and looking at a screen whilst playing a game. Journey does so much as an expression of artistic endeavour, all without a single word of dialogue ever being spoken (and also featuring the best conceived multiplayer component of any video game since 2009’s Demon's Souls).
Released in the EU on the 7th of June, 2013 (PlayStation 3, retail)

2. Tearaway ; “such charm – much nice – wow” This game gives the Pied Piper of Hamelin a run for his money (well, the money he didn’t get, as the story goes). But, y’know, without all the creepy mass kidnapping of a bunch of kids. Yeeeah. An awesome little game packed to the rafters with joyous moments, paced and structured to perfection. As with Journey, there is no excess fluff or filler here. Media Molecule have put exactly everything they needed to into this game in order to provide the player with a constant stream of funtimes and good feelings.
Released in the EU on the 22nd of November, 2013 (PlayStation Vita, retail/download)

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; It’s just the second or third best Zelda game ever created. That’s all.
Released in the EU on the 22nd of November, 2013 (3DS, retail/download)

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; This was my second ever Assassin's Creed game, making the jump all the way from the first game in 2007. And boy, what a jump that was. The improvements to the engine technology, visuals (in particular, the choice of environment and setting were highly appealing to me) and the storyline, along with the characters that take part in the plot, were pretty gobsmacking. Everything feels great to actually do in this world, you have choice and variety on what to do and where to go, how to approach encounters and side quests and much else besides. All that good stuff. It definitely feels like a game that is the culmination of a great many iterations and incremental improvements, a product of a long and winding development history. But most of all...sea shanties. That’s what earns this game its spot on this list.
Released in the EU on the 22nd of November, 2013 (Personal Computer, retail/download)

5. Papers, Please ; Also, here is a man from Giant Bomb playing this video game for 25 straight hours, for the benefit of Child's Play 2013.
Released worldwide on the 8th of August, 2013 (Personal Computer, download)

6. Persona 4: Golden ; To Be Writ.
Released in the EU on the 22nd of February, 2013 (PlayStation Vita, retail)

7. Hotline Miami ; Bold. Brutal. Beautiful. Bloody. Bastardingly hard. A twisted story told amongst the dark corners of a grungy, neon-washed Florida in 1989. As with a few of the other games on this hallowed list, Dennaton Games have clearly concentrated much their time and effort on making the core gameplay super solid, tight, clean. The core mechanics never falter in their implementation or their quality, the player is tasked with pushing their own reflexes and timing to the limit in order to solve the various combat puzzles presented throughout this messed up narrative. Oh, and that goddamn soundtrack. Shit.
Released in the EU on the 26th of June, 2013 (PlayStation Vita, download)

8. Guacamelee! ; To Be Writ.
Released in the EU on the 10th of April, 2013 (PlayStation Vita, download)

9. Spelunky ; A video game experience that is both deep and hard.
Released in the EU on the 28th of August, 2013 (PlayStation Vita, download)

10. Civilization V: Brave New World ; To Be Writ.
Released worldwide on the 12th of July, 2013 (Personal Computer, retail/download)

[Addendum]
The ranking of these fine video games may well change, as might my words. The Tearaway image comes from NeoGAF member donkey show.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Okay, here we go.

1. Gran Turismo 6 ; The best, deepest, most authentic, fully featured driving game ever.
2. The Last of Us ; Great characters, fun, diverse gameplay, genuine tension, and great setpieces. Incredible game
3. Batman: Arkham Origins ; Criminally underrated. An excellent Batman game with a great story and voice cast. As good as Arkham City, better in some ways.
4. God of War: Ascension ; Another gem of a game that's underrated and pushed aside. Best graphics of the year and the usual solid, rewarding combat of God of War.
5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Story missions are meh, but the open world sailing and exploration is some of the most fun I've had all year
6. Tomb Raider ;
7. Guacamelee! ;
8. Lego Marvel Super Heroes ;
9. Divekick ;
10. MLB 13: The Show ;

2012. Far Cry 3 ; Would likely have been my GotY 2012 if it hadn't come out so late. Fixed a lot of things that FC2 did wrong, but suffered from a terrible protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom