• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
1. Bloodborne
2. The Talos Principle
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. Axiom Verge
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
6. Super Mario Maker
7. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
8. Contradiction - Spot The Liar!
9. The Park ; About three hours to finish the thing, but the craft that went into it is exceptional. An upsetting exploration game that finds horror in the dysfunctions of a family, with tremendous atmosphere and top class writing and acting.
10. Grow Home

arnehelst

1. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; So many great games out this year. So was hard to rank them. But probably liked the return to Dark Souls 2 the best.
2. The Witcher III : Wild Hunt ; Incredible graphics and world. Going back to it when new expansion and NVIDA card comes out to experience it again with better graphics.
3. Cities: Skylines ; Great game and looking forward to playing the expansion.
4. The Book Of Unwritten Tales 2 ; Again, great graphics, worth for the Eleven palace alone.
5. Anno 2205 ; Always liked the series, and this one - while streamlined - didn't disappoint.
6. Metal Gear Solid V ; Great game-play. Quiet's in-chopper behavior and clothing was extremely disturbing though.
7. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; Really missed Ciri in this one.
8. Kingdom ; Great little strategy game.
9. Broforce ; Old school maximum carnage.

besada

Banned
1. Sunless Sea; The most atmospheric game of the year, with some of the best writing. The slow creep through the Unterzee leaves your nerves on edge as you try to buy clay men for sale at unusual ports.
2. MGS V; My favorite open world game of the year. It lets you play missions however you want to, from super sneak to insane explosions. Your horse can shit on the road, you can knock people out with magazines, you can lead bears into outposts and laugh while they savage soldiers. Excellent fun, insane story.
3. Fallout 4; It's a Fallout. Quibbles aside, I've still put a ton of hours into it and plan on putting in a ton more. There are a thousand ways in which it might be better, but there's still great satisfaction watching someone's head explode in slow motion.
4. Beginner's Guide; Probably the most interesting game I played this year, a contemplation on loneliness, alienation, and the artists need to seek acceptance and attention.
5. Cities: Skylines; City building done right. Sure, I killed thousands when I put my inflow pipe below my outflow pipe and flooded the city with sewage. Sure, that ambulance has been stuck at the same intersection for four days while some guys dies from pollution. But it's so much fun to build out your elaborate city then rip out all of your streets once you realize what a clusterfuck you've made of traffic.
6. Amplitude; It's Amplitude. I can barely type from the finger-breaking excesses of the game. Thirty tracks, which is more than its predecessors, gives you plenty of room in which to build your skill. It's beautiful, it's slick, it's Amplitude.
7. Pillars of Eternity; Isometric dungeoneering done right. I haven't enjoyed a dungeon crawling game as much as this in a long time. Excellent writing, good systems, great visuals.
8. Life is Strange; The game with the most heart this year. Human and messy and full of weirdness and time travel. More like this, please.
9. Rocket League; Hilarious high octane fun. I love the speed with which you can grab a few games and then move onto something else. The community has been great for me, and it's nice to see a fun little game like this get so much attention.
10. TIS-100; Games for programming nerds. I enjoyed playing, and really liked the presentation, from the old manual to the character based graphics. Watching the mods try to top each other has also been a lot of fun. Seriously, the amount of discussion this game generated in Banheim has been incredible.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
1.Undertale ; On the surface, Undertale might not look like much, just run of the mill indie RPG. But man oh man those who will give it try, are in for a treat ! Undertale is a game about subverting expectations and breaking the fourth wall (in a good way) to deliver an experience unparalleled with any indie game I've played. The battle system, which mixes elements of turn based combat and bullet-hell shooters makes for a fresh take on the concept. Not to mention, it's a game where the writing is actually really good ! All the characters have unique personalities and more memorable than most games I've played.

2.Bloodborne ; After that disappointment that was Dark Souls II, I was ready to see whether or not From Software will redeem themselves with this PS4 exclusive. And I am glad to say that this is one of their best ! Removing the shield and adding visceral attacks to the formula will make you change your tactics that you learned by playing the old Souls game and in a good way. The insight system is a very interesting addition as well even though I still think it yet to reach it's full potential.

3. Rocket League ; Brevity is the soul of wit, and Rocket League encompasses that completely ! The gameplay is rather simplistic, control your car to score a goal. But that's thing about it. It does one thing so well that you cannot pull yourself from it ! I can safely say this the game I've spent the most time playing this year and I know there are more hours to come.

4.Super Mario Maker ; Yeah, this is more of a tool than an actual game, but I had tons of fun making levels with my friends and challenging each other with the levels we created and even trying out some of the levels we found online. Definitely one the most fun I had with a Wii U game to date.

5.Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
; While I had a lot of disappointments in the story side of this game, it doesn't detract from the fact that this is one of the most fun I had in a sandbox game since San Adreas. Sneaking and infiltrating enemy bases never felt so good in a metal gear game. Even though I do miss some of the more intricately designed levels of the previous games.

6.Axiom Verge ;
The comparison to Metroid is inevitable with titles in the Metroidvania genre, but I think it is appropriate in this one. Axiom Verge is one of the best Metroid-like games I've ever played and even surpasses Super Metroid in few areas like the variety of tools and weapons.

7.Splatoon ; It's a very unique take on the multiplayer shooter. It may not be the first paintball game, but it sure is the best in the market. And the character design is really fantastic.

8. Dying Light ; I thought this game will suck, but oh boy was I pleasantly surprised ! I had a lot of fun with this game more than Techland's previous zombie game Dead Island. The acrobatic moves and the changes that happen durring the night makes this a thrill ride !

9.Ori and the Blind Forest ;
While I despised the ending to this game, I must give it credit for the amazing animation in it, not even many AAA games have animation as good as the animation in this game. Gameplay is good, but Axiom Verge is clearly the better Metroidvania of the two.

10.Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
; It was an unnecessary sequel, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

DryvBy

I finally thought of a full list. Here we go...

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; This took me 5 months to complete, but the ending was totally worth it. The Witcher series has always had a nice touch on bringing a "realistic" (for fantasy) world to life with characters and side stories. The Witcher III just brings more of that and in a fantastic open-world. Every main story quest along with every side quest felt well thought out. I could only imagine their storyboard and how that looked. The graphics are great, and the voice acting just brought each character to life. There were performance hick-ups and weird bugs (like the endless loading bugs from launch), but a fantastic experience all-around. It's one of the few video games my wife has asked me to play through with her instead of watching a movie or TV show with her.
2. Bloodborne ; From Software makes another incredibly hard action role-playing game set in a cool world that's full of fast moving creatures and sweat triggering bosses. I'm a decent enough fan of the Souls games so this was going to be a sleeper hit for me. Only after playing this did I really notice how slow and clunky Souls games feel. This is definitely the best playing From Software game to date.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This could have easily been my game of the year if the game was actually complete. The gameplay is top-notch and a blast to play. It's so good that you easily forget you're spending a good chunk of chapter 2 doing the same missions you did before just on a harder difficulty.
4. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I really enjoyed the previous entries and this was a bigger version of that. The combat felt great and the world felt a lot darker (thanks to that Mature rating -- finally!). While this is clearly an unpopular opinion on the internet, I enjoyed the tank sequences a lot too. It's one of those games I used to sit back and just take in the world.
5. Rocket League ; This was an unexpected smash hit among my friends and myself. Take soccer and throw in some RC cars that do stunts. It's a simple game that ended up being one of my most played multiplayer games of this year. It's rare that I go out and buy DLC just to support them (since the PS4 version was free for Plus members), but I did just that.
6. Super Mario Maker ; Who doesn't enjoy 2D (or 2.5D) platforming with Mario physics? Being able to make and remake maps for 4 different Super Mario eras is great. It's the perfect game to play when you don't even want to play a game. And it's the first game I've played that has a very practical reason to have a screen.
7. Rainbow Six Siege ; I ate major crow on this game. I wasn't a big fan of the first beta I played. I liked parts of it, but the terrorist hunt (one of my favorite modes from Rainbow Six Vegas) was really broken and had some ridiculously mediocre A.I.. I didn't think I would ever play the final release. Now, this is my go to multiplayer game. It's a party game so if you don't have friends playing with you, I don't know how much you're going to enjoy it. But I have a rotating set of friends playing with me anytime I want now. It's one of the few games that has lasting appeal with limited maps, limited customization (compared to Vegas), and lacking a campaign. As much as I hate to admit it, I've had more fun than I could have imagined with it.
8. Mortal Kombat X ; This game doesn't hold a candle to how great Mortal Kombat 9 rebooted the MK series, but it's still a great game. I know the PC version had some issues at launch, but once you were in the game it was a bloody good time. The first month this was out, I had played over 300 matches. That's a lot of MK time for me since I suck at fighting games. And that gore. Whew!
9. Transformers: Devastation ; A Platinum game based on the Transformers from the 80s? Sure. And graphics that look very 80s anime? Sure. This was kind of a shocking hit for me because I'm not the biggest Transformers fan.
10. Dying Light ; I wasn't a big fan of Dead Island, but who was? But Dying Light took the things I didn't like, threw them in the trash, and made a game I think they originally wanted to make. A lot bigger open world to parkour through, less jank, and a great co-op experience. There was still the problem with having limitations on weapons you built, but they lasted a lot longer than in the Dead Island games.

Honorable Mentions:
* Yakuza 5 - It only missed my list because this game came out in 2013 technically.
* Axion Verge - Really close to being on my list. It would be in the top 15, for sure.
* Tales of Borderlands - I haven't finished the entire thing yet, but I enjoyed the first few chapters.
* Life is Strange - Same as Tales of Borderlands.
* Until Dawn - So close, but I picked Dying Light over this because I had more

I have a lot of games from this year that I haven't played enough to say yes or no too. Undertale and Pillars of Eternity I just bought so I can't say yes or no to it.

undertale.jpg
  1. Undertale ; After playing the demo during its Kickstarter, I knew it would garner a lot of critical and fan affection. Yet, I still underestimated the game getting a fanbase passionate enough to push it to the top of GameFAQs' poll. It's one of the most progressive games of this generation, both in design and the way it tackles social issues. Design-wise, it pulls no punches with your decisions and is not afraid to lock out content for killing or sparing bosses. It loves thinking outside the box with its battle system and expects the player to follow suit.

Undertale is socially-progressive in its inclusiveness: Your main protagonist is a blank slate to the point of having no gender, and the equipment allows the player to (consciously or unconsciously) determine their own gender if they want. One of the few female antagonists, Undyne, wears proper armor and doesn't have a needlessly "pretty" or "cute" face. You can go out on dates with the characters who don't even care about your gender.

I see lots of people comparing this game to the Mother series. I'm one to think that Undertale has surpassed them.
  2. Splatoon ; Splatoon is one of the first 1st-party Nintendo IP that I got excited about for a long time. Like Pokemon, Splatoon takes the FPS games that influenced it, removes the fluff and needless complexity, and manages to create something imaginative and deep enough to stand out on its own.

Splatoon's multiplayer also does a fantastic job at encouraging players to work in non-combat roles. In Turf War, you can be the MVP without Splatting a single opponent.

Its Single-Player mode is no slouch either. The levels are a fine showcase of Splatoon's system design. You can be equally effective as a run 'n' gun or taking the stealthy or distracting approach. The bosses, though are the biggest highlight, making you realize that more shooters need to have ones that are more than "shoot at it until it dies," with the final battle(and music accompanying it) one of the most memorable moments in gaming.
  3. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; Almost everything I want in a JRPG, lovable characters, good pacing, a deep battle system and a compelling world you want to get lost in.
  4. Super Mario Maker ; Finally, a good enough reason for amateur SMW romhackers to put down Lunar Magic and share them easily. Being able to browse levels online and edit them adds near-infinite replay value.
  5. Binding of Isaac Rebirth: Afterbirth ; More balancing, more rooms, more stuff, and more reasons to make Isaac suffer over and over again.

Vecks

1. Splatoon ; The moment I played this, I just knew it was going to be my game of the year. It's incredibly addictive. I played it until my hands hurt, and then I kept on playing. The weapon choices are quite unique for a "shooter." And the fact that they are still adding content keeps me coming back for more. My favorite aspect would have to be how fundamental the ink is to movement.
2. Tales from the Borderlands ; While the Borderlands games are not all fun to me, the same cannot be said for the universe of the Borderlands. This game takes the style and setting of Borderlands and delivers a fun, interactive adventure with a memorable cast of characters.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; The developers had said this was their first HD project and it shows through the number of strange design decisions. However, none of them really ruined my enjoyment of the game. It's a huge adventure with a beautiful world to explore. The thing that most surprised me, however, is how much I like to do the normal/affinity quests.
4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Never had the chance to play the original. It's quite an enjoyable RPG with quite a bit of freedom in how you play, and it looks great.
5. Super Mario Maker ; Never ending Mario. A lot of the levels are terrible, but thankfully, you can just search for the better stuff.
6. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 ; I really liked the first game and this is more of the same. This is just one enchanting, funny adventure.
7. Heroes of the Storm ; The casual MOBA. The thing I don't like most about MOBA's is the commitment of time in learning strats, practicing and even playing. Heroes of the Storm is streamlined to the point where I can just jump in whenever and not worry about all that.

Geg

1. Splatoon ; This game is the reason why I only played five new games this year. No other game has completely consumed me the way Splatoon has. With addictive, easy to understand gameplay with a surprising amount of depth, unique visual style and character designs, and a great soundtrack, Splatoon was everything I never knew I wanted until I picked it up and started playing. It's not without flaws, but it's by far the most fun I've had playing video games in years.
2. Undertale ; Came out of nowhere to be one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. You can just tell a ridiculous amount of detail and care went into every aspect of the writing and design. Also hands down the best soundtrack in years.
3. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; This is a pretty good game that had the potential to be something great if it had been designed from the ground up to be a full console game. The limitations of its PSP origins are obvious everywhere you go. While the gameplay is pretty fun and the world and lore interested me, the shoddy English voice work and haphazardly told story bring it down a bit. Still though, a better FF game than XIII.
4. Broken Age ; Held back somewhat by the anti-climatic ending, but overall I enjoyed Broken Age a lot. Funny writing, good voice acting and visuals, and puzzles that were difficult but never too difficult to make me say "fuck it" and look up the solution.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I went into 2015 fully expecting this to be my favorite game of the year and instead it's here at the bottom of the list. While the gameplay can be pretty fun and the visuals are amazing, in every other way it completely fails to live up to the standards of the rest of the series. It's the first game in the series where I thought "I don't want to play this anymore" after finishing it for the first time.

Honorable mentions
x. Bloodborne
x. Life is Strange

The honorable mentions are for games I didn't play myself but got a lot of entertainment out of from watching youtube videos and twitch streams of them

2015 was an outstanding year for me. As a quick preface, I bought Bloodborne this year but haven't spent enough time with it to make a definitive judgement. So yeah, I'm robbing Bloodborne. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it next year.

1. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture ; An absolute artistic triumph that isn’t getting nearly the exposure it deserves. Since Dear Esther, The Chinese Room have been exploring the possibilities that games present for new ways of storytelling, and on that score, Rapture is an unequivocal success. Every component of the experience is superlative: the writing is at turns stirringly literary and charmingly vernacular; the score and voice-over performances are moving and hands-down the best of the year; the English countryside is so well realized that you’d think it was a real place if it wasn’t constantly so jaw-droppingly lovely; the movement speed…well, maybe they could have tweaked that. PS4 exclusivity is a shame, because this game deserves the widest possible audience.

2. Undertale ; This one joins To The Moon and Hatoful Boyfriend on the shortlist of games that at first blush have no right to the kind of emotional heft that they wield. What distinguishes Undertale is the way it embraces in its mechanics the same playfulness displayed in the writing. It starts with an inventive and utterly brilliant combat system, then continuously subverts the conventions of its genre and of games generally to surprise the player at every turn. The word “determination” is thrown around a lot both in the game and in the discussion around it, and it’s cute, but I’ll be damned if Undertale doesn’t instill real determination better than almost any game out there.

3. The Beginner’s Guide ; Davey Wreden’s previous game, The Stanley Parable, humorously explored the relationship between developer and player (and it was my GOTY choice in 2013). The Beginner’s guide is in the same wheelhouse, but it asks much deeper and more fundamental questions about the nature of art and the space between artist and audience. It’s as frank a confessional as I’ve ever heard or seen in any medium, but at the same time…maybe it really isn’t. Beyond the silly and, if I’m being honest, childish concerns about the origin of the game’s content, there’s a lot to think about after the hour or two the game itself lasts. I’m still thinking about it. And I’m so glad something like this exists in games.

4. Splatoon ; I would never have guessed that a multiplayer shooter would make my top 5 of the year, let alone that it would be from Nintendo, but Splatoon is so fresh and exciting that it could very well have taken the number 1 spot if 2015 wasn’t such a great year for affecting indies. The elegance of the shoot/move/reload system represents the sort of mechanical refinement that has sadly become the near-exclusive domain of Nintendo among large publishers. I’m eager to see what else their small teams come up with in the future – and a Splatoon 2 on NX, of course.

5. Her Story ; A monumental achievement in interactive storytelling. Her Story deserves every bit of praise it has received for the sheer meticulousness of its construction. While the plot doesn’t hold up to close scrutiny, it was propulsive enough to fuel a night of obsessive searching and a morning of intense speculation between me and my wife, who doesn’t play a lot of games but loves guessing how movies will end. With any luck, this game and Cibele (which I have yet to play) will mark the start of the Desktop Simulator as a worthy companion to the Walking Simulator.

6. Metal Gear Solid V ; I’m about 25 hours into MGSV and I know I’ve barely scratched the surface, but the volume of content and the openness of the sandbox take a distant backseat to the responsiveness of the world to player action. The sorts of artificial barriers, systemic limitations, and literal invisible walls that so often kneecap open-world games are nowhere on display here. The fulton recovery system simply cannot get enough credit for brilliantly tying together the base-management and stealth-action parts of the game and at the same time providing a tangible incentive to take the non-lethal approach to infiltration.

7. Super Mario Maker ; Another Nintendo title that was unthinkable until it was announced. Self-evidently a dream game, but one that genuinely was not possible (or not possible at this level of accessibility) until the Wii U. It’s a shame that the strongest case for the tablet controller had to come so close to the end of the console’s life. I have a feeling the release of Super Mario Maker will be remembered as a watershed moment by an entire generation of game developers a few decades from now.

8. Life is Strange ; With the rewind mechanic, Dontnod found a great solution to one of adventure games’ thorniest problems – the conflict between the player’s desire to explore every outcome of a choice and the game’s desire to make those choices matter. What’s more, they chose a setting and a story that make the mechanic meaningful thematically. In the end, though, the real surprise of Life is Strange is that the slice-of-teen-life bits work better than all the high concept time-travel/apocalypse/missing person mystery adventure story crammed into its five episodes. It suffers from some pacing and storytelling issues, especially in the later chapters, but the fullness of the characters and their world are what make the game memorable.

9. Grow Home ; Gets the Proteus Memorial Award for Best Chillout Game. What a surprise from Ubisoft, home of the giant, slick, soulless open world, to get a small game so tactile and full of personality. I’ve tried to give each of the picks on my list around 100 words of description, but I fear saying too much about Grow Home, as anything too effusive might oversell its simple charm. Climbing in games is rarely so enjoyable.

10. Majora’s Mask 3D ; I struggled with the decision to put a re-release on my list. I played several new games this year that could have laid claim to my number 10 spot, but I couldn’t bring myself to give them space ahead of MM3D. Majora’s Mask remains a uniquely atmospheric Zelda title, exploring emotional space that even today gets short shrift in mainstream games (although see my #1 for another achingly humane take on the end of the world). The conversion to 3DS was handled thoughtfully, simultaneously enhancing and preserving the core experience.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
1. Bloodborne ; Quite simply, this is the game that I put the most time into this year. The art style is fantastic, the combat feels tight, and all the bosses are memorable. I even think the chalice dungeons are a good first try. I really think there's something there that FROM could build off of. Add in the awesome DLC, it becomes my GOTY.

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; What an amazing game. If it weren't for Bloodborne, this would have easily been my game of the year. The graphics are phenominal and I still have the soundtrack on my rotation. Add in a story that I became invested in and memorable characters, it's a game that I will recommend to anyone.

3. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; This game looks absolutely stunning on the XB1 and my guess is that it's going to look crazy on the PC when it comes out in January. The tombs are fun to explore and the hubs are littered with things to do. The input lag is unfortunate, but you get used to it after a bit. When it comes out on PC and PS4, it's a must buy for anyone remotely interested in the franchise.

4. Until Dawn ; This game is probably my surprise of the year. I played through it multiple times just to see the different paths it could take and I still haven't seen all of them. Watching Dave Lang play through the entire game was one of the best streams I saw all year.

5. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; So weird and so memorable. If you have a special place in your heart for Deadly Premonition, then you should really check out this game. To say that the characters are memorable is an understatement and the soundtrack will drill itself into your brain and stay there for a long time. I really hope we see another season. Get well soon Swery!

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This game should be higher up on my list, but honestly Metal Gear games just aren't really my thing. But with tight controls, gorgeous graphics, and that Kojima quirkiness, how can it not be an instant buy? I hope the Fox engine is used for other games because that thing is quite the marvel.

7. State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition ; I love this game. This game is only second to Bloodborne for hours played this year. I'm normally not a fan of games that just let you loose out into the world, but somehow they managed to find the perfect balance for me where you can do what you want while still having a goal to eventually work towards. With this edition packing in both dlc's and updating the graphics, it's extremely easy to recommend. The frame rate is still shit though.

8. Pillars of Eternity ; Fantastic game and I love the return of the old school western RPG. It would be higher on my list, but I haven't finished it and it got shelved for a bit. I'm really looking forward to digging into it come the new year.

9. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; See #8. I love these types of games, but as I get older, it's getting difficult to find the time to dig into these games like they deserve. I really want to try the coop!

10. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; They made smart changes to the base game and I contest that the packed in dlc has some of the best level design that FROM has ever created. While the PC has been able to do it from the get go, having the game run at 60 fps on consoles is a welcome addition.

Iryx

1. Undertale ; I went in with moderate expactations and this game just blew all of them away. It's memorable and hilarious and without a doubt for me GOTY 2015. I feel like I have a lot I want to say but no words come to mind.
2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; I've loved Monster Hunter ever since I found out about the series, and MH4U is great. Tons of monsters to hunt, tons of weapons to learn and master. I finished everything on my Hunter Card with the exception of Crowns. Can't wait for MHX.
3. Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth ; Surpisingly, I wasn't that fond of a lot of additions in Afterbirth, I don't care about daily runs, I didn't like Greed Mode at all, I hate the scaling health of Ultra Greed and Hush, Keeper isn't fun to play and all the new pills sucks. But the normal gameplay of Rebirth are so good that just the additions of new items, trinkets and enemies from Afterbirth makes it an worthwhile DLC. I put about 50 more hours into this than I did in Rebirth.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; A sequel to one of my all-time favourite games. Story-wise, it failed to live up to my expectations. I dislike the wierd party system where you have find people around New LA to have them rejoin your party after they got thrown out because a mission required only you, Elma and Lin to be in the party. It just makes the majority of the cast feel pointless. I love the combat though, Skells were more enjoyable than I though and I loved exploring Mira. Been playing trough the post-game but it's grindy as hell so I don't know if I will finish my survey.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; An old favourite revisited, still holds up well and I didn't really mind the changes from the original. Not much to say about this one.

I didn't really play a lot of new games this year. Out of the games on this list I played one for 150 hours, one for 200 and one for 400. Nothing else comes to mind that I played long enough to get a good impression or like enough to put on a top anything list.

lt519

Gah, after much waffling I decided to buy The Witcher 3 on sale from Amazon. Long 3 day weekend to sink my teeth into a meaty game so decided on it over Bloodborne as something a little lighter on the difficulty side and maybe a bit more cheery. Putting off Talos Principle until I have smaller chunks of gaming time. I'll get to Bloodborne soon too. Hooray for no-rush credit too, ended up being $19 with 10% back from Chase.

Gah, after much waffling I decided to buy The Witcher 3 on sale from Amazon. Long 3 day weekend to sink my teeth into a meaty game so decided on it over Bloodborne as something a little lighter on the difficulty side and maybe a bit more cheery. Putting off Talos Principle until I have smaller chunks of gaming time. I'll get to Bloodborne soon too. Hooray for no-rush credit too, ended up being $19 with 10% back from Chase.

Crossposting from the OT:

Don't rely on quen, learn the movesets of enemies. Don't use lock on. Dodging is usually better than rolling in most circumstances. Read the bestiary and learn enemy weaknesses.

Potions and bombs are essential. Buy diagrams for them. Oils aren't necessary, but they do make a difference. This isn't a game that you can just burn through. Take your time.

Mix in sidequests(sidequests are amazing in this game) with the main quests so that you're not overleveled for them later. Gwent is really fun and even if you don't get it initially, it's worth sticking with because it has great payoff later.

I also don't recommend trying to beeline from POI to POI at all. Turn them off after leaving White Orchard.

Also, turn on alternate movement controls.

1. Bloodborne ; It may not be Dark Souls, but it's very similar and just as magnificent. Bloodborne was easily the best game of the year, though it did take some adjusting to "get good".
2. Dying Light ; This one caught me by surprise. I picked it up on a recommendation and loved it.
3. Transformers: Devastation ; This game gripped me so hard, I played through it twice in a row. That's very rare for me.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Crystal Dynamics improved on their last game. This one is damned good. Too bad about the poorly thought out exclusive deal, because more people should be playing this excellent game.
5. Just Cause 3 ; I think I like 2 better, but this is still maybe the most fun "blow stuff up" open world game there is.
6. Rocket League ; Car Soccer! What's not to like?
7. Axiom Verge ; This is a pretty good Metroid clone. I liked it.
8. Splatoon ; Nintendo delivered a fun take on the competitive shooter game, and left out the blood. Very fun and a great twist.
9. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This was pretty good. Very beautiful and a decent take on the old tried and true ability-based progression design.
10. Rock Band 4 ; It's more Rock Band. Kudos to them for figuring out how to make last gen instruments and songs carry over, even if it is pretty messy. It's still a great, fun game and welcome in this gen's lineup.

randomkid

Let’s start things off with an ineligible list of the 10 best old games from this year, because whether they’re official digital releases or fancy remasters, there’s nothing better than old games. Also, shout out to Mega Man Legacy Collection for getting curation right (even though silence on the needed patch is inexcusable) and Rare Replay for an alternate model (even as someone who actively dislikes Rare games, the package is astounding).

TEN: Twinkle Star Sprites (PC, Humble)
NINE: The Last Blade (PC, Humble)
EIGHT: Megaman Legends (PSN)
SEVEN: System Shock (PC, GOG)
SIX: RE Make HD (PSN)
FIVE: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS)
FOUR: Gunstar Heroes 3D (3DS)
THREE: Grim Fandango Remastered (PSN)

TWO: EarthBound Beginnings; (Wii U) God it hurts to type that title, which is so 2015-sounding it’s painful. Mother became one of my favorite Famicom RPGs by not only impressively setting up the template for Earthbound, but also achieving its own beautiful somber atmosphere, with certain story beats that I found to be legitimately moving. This song is absolutely incredible.

ONE: Outrun 3D; (3DS) When you read a post or thinkpiece about Outrun, the prose will often become downright theatrical. What is it about this game that drives people to lyrical excess? I had to stop myself from typing out the sentence “Outrun teaches us what it means to be human” seriously wtf? The truth is that all it takes to inspire such emotion is Blue Skies, the charm of a carefree couple on the road, a picaresque journey across the globe in five minutes, and three of the best songs that have ever been composed for a videogame (I’m a Splash Wave man myself). I’m not even going to bother making the case from a score-chasing perspective since today’s content tourists don’t care, aesthetics and that nebulous “gamefeel” make this a DRIVING game that even non-racing fans should adore. If you want to dig deep you can drown yourself in this wonderful exhaustingly detailed four part interview on Sega Blog wherein you will see photographic proof of M2 taking the time to painstakingly record pedal and environmental sounds from real cabinets in order to improve the simulation for 3DS. The highest class of videogame developer in both technique and artistry mastering a 30 year old classic for you, this is the kind of game that will fill you with the urge to give Yu Suzuki money, Outrun is videogame perfection.

eINlVqR.png

And now here’s another list of ten good games, the longer write-ups re-use content and pics I posted throughout the year, please enjoy. (also shouts to a buncha ports I didn’t get to, namely: D4, Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition, 80 Days, Trails in the Sky 2, Little Battlers Experience, Fantavision, Tearaway Unfolded, and also Yarn Yoshi).

10. Boxboy; this probably doesn’t even belong on the list but this game compelled me to finish everything, including post-game content, so it must have been doing something right. If the music wasn’t awful and the final exam had come earlier this could have been great!
9. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse; the gated level design and slower Kirby speed was a real disappointment and learning how to play without looking at the Gamepad is a steeper learning curve than needed. But it might be the best looking videogame ever made so
8. King’s Quest: Episode 1; kind of a frictionless babygame when it comes to puzzles, didn’t really remind me much of the particular older games in the series I’d played, but fantastic warm comedic writing, nice looking forests and some A+ vocal performances.
7. Yo-Kai Watch: I’ve always loved yokai (spoilers for my number 1 pick!), I love monster fusion, and I’ve been a Level-5 handheld game apologist for years. This game would have had to really shit the bed to not end up on my list. The dialogue and the main dude’s portrait art is understated and great!
6. A-Train 3D: City Simulator; Does Cities: Skyline have an optional eight hour tutorial that will lead you down straight up insane paths of micromanagement? No? I didn’t think so. (note, I don’t actually know anything about Cities: Skyline)
5. Oh, Deer!; If you managed to get through that earlier over the top paean to Outrun, this game’s placement will make sense, since Oh, Deer! is Brandon Sheffield from Insert Credit’s loving tribute to Outrun (particularly, the drifting of Outrun 2). Released for 49 cents for a 4 week period on the Playstation Mobile store before it was shut down this year, you probably can’t even buy this game any more (although maybe this link still works if you use your Vita browser?) and since it doesn’t seem like publishers are interested in making a complete version you will probably never get to play it. But this is a game that deserves to be remembered. It feels great to play, it features gorgeous authentic sprite scaling, and the hook of a “morality” system where either avoiding or running over deer changes the scoring and the music (and in the planned future version, the environment) is a compelling contribution. The music is the first lead soundtrack by Streets of Rage 3 composer Motohiro Kawashima in 20 years and it’s one of the best soundtracks of the year, you can listen to him performing a live mix of it here.

CIPPWjJW8AE3V5b.jpg

4. Bloodborne; I like the way the bosses look.

3. Undertale; There are so many ways it could have gone wrong but ignore the obnoxious fans (see also the game above), this game was great. Some things I didn’t like were the designed to be ambiguous but nevertheless atrocious main character sprite, occasional ugly programmer-art environments, characters that varied wildly in design and animation quality (although I was generally very fond of the black and white monster visuals), and some of the reference-based jokes that relied on intimate familiarity and respect for modern day anime. But any misfires pass so quickly you barely even recall them amidst a steady series of absolutely excellently constructed jokes. There are punchlines, premises, and scenarios here that are designed to actually make you laugh out loud and not just nod in recognition like so many other videogames, this kind of thing is CRAZY tough to nail and deserves to be recognized.

Thematically the game touches very closely on Moon Remix RPG Adventure as I understand it (this is based on hazy recollections of that giant rambly years old GAF thread), with some very neat conceptual gimmicks that are extended logically to well-considered conclusions. The game’s developer has also said his goal was to build upon the Megami Tensei negotiation system, and by limiting battles to a series of almost bespoke game encounters, he succeeded. Instead of traditional SMT binary questioning, the negotiation options in Undertale most closely resemble the (superior) system from Revelations: Persona, where you select repeatedly from multiple seemingly random actions to influence the monster’s mood, puzzling out the choices you think will best fit the monster’s personality, and learn through reactions and background knowledge what works best before reaching a success state that allows you to end the encounter without fighting. I never got tired of this. Abstracting enemy emotional states mid-negotiation into clever Cave-like bullet patterns on top of that is basically just the game dev styling on everyone. I can’t believe this game all came from mostly one dude.

Anyways, here are two out of context jokes I remembered to capture, I laughed a lot (Spoilerz???)

yvkPtEk.png
Fcvc6h8.png

2. Legend of Legacy; As far as I can tell, basically the only people who stuck with this game and loved it all the way through are me, 1 other poster in the OT, and Christian Nutt. Normally I'm good at recognizing the flaws in games I like but everyone kept on talking about how miserably repetitive the game loop was and I honestly don't know what to say. I don’t think it’s just my peculiarities this time either, I actually think Unlimited SaGa is one of the worst games there is. Is it possible that I just somehow lucked into an unusually addictive and natural-feeling skill unlock progression scheme, unlike the ton of folks who complained about a tedious grind? Yeah, there is certainly a stretch in the game where everything looks the same, there was no budget for enemy variety, and yes all you do in the game is fill out maps and return to town. But most of the maps are dense with environmental variation: small gimmicks like spikes, poison trees, freezing ice, mirages, burning torches, F.O.E.s to avoid or engage, and even some late game endurance trials that reminded me of SMT dungeons when it comes to resource depletion (those spikes!). And with each map sold, the changing townsfolk dialogue was something I looked forward to, with all these neat little details on warring kingdoms, trade federations, churches, elementals and god-people to fill your imagination and expand the world scope.

I loved the game resonance of randomly but steadily unlocking not only skills and equipment, but also maps and story. I loved the lack of yammering dialogue portraits. I loved the pop up aesthetics, the gorgeous music, the impeccable localization, and the challenge. I loved the frog. It's too bad everyone hated this game, and maybe I was helped by rock bottom expectations, but this is a great little RPG and it's nice that I've been able to find so many nostalgic but fresh RPGs to play in 2015. If you give it a shot, just remember to play as the frog, this is not optional.

CSMA9XnVAAE2CKx.jpg

1. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines; If there’s another game that was played less than Legend of Legacy, it’s this one, which Sony dumped in a manner best described as “contractual obligation” in March. No one really knows what this game is, and the few reviewers who played it found the need to constantly try to compare Oreshika to other games, because we’ve all forgotten the time period when experimental marquis RPGs were the norm. The experience of the game is so fresh and one of a kind for those of us who never played the original PSX version that we don’t know how to talk about it without contextualizing in some way others will find familiar. So you get a lot of things like:

This game is Okami! With its unbelievable ukiyo-e visuals, shamisen, taiko and bamboo flute filled music, oni enemies and folkloric story references. Or, this game is Persona 3! With its time and calendar management, tendency to guide party members rather than directly control them, the same kind of roguelike-like fatigue elements that prevent you from grinding endlessly in dungeons, and a traditional Megaten fusion system with mythologically inspired gods and goddesses. Or, this game is SaGa! With its secret arts learned suddenly in battle from under the hood stat gains, an HP/LP analogue with Stamina and Vigor, and a less awful version of Unlimited’s reels.

The truth is this game has a lot of games in it but it’s very much its own thing, with its uniqueness in the current RPG landscape mirrored funnily enough by efforts to ensure a good deal of uniqueness and special one-time content in each playthrough. There’s a lot of attention to detail in places you expect and places you don’t, from death quotes that are never repeated, to hidden pre-dungeon cutscenes for those that return to dungeons in odd order, to unique in-game heirloom weapon appearances, to dialogue from onigami that changes each time you beat them, to the weasel-girl familiar humming flower related songs in the spring when you leave the screen idle.

The main plot and virtually all of the game’s very repetitive pre-boss cutscenes unfortunately never really rise beyond the level of an anime TV show, but the background story elements of gods and demons traveling between the heavens and earth was pitched exactly at my sensibilities. It’s basically impossible for me to avoid being engrossed in any game with such a loving focus on yokai, japanese festivals, Megaten-ish god fusion and demon parades, which I’ve been fascinated by ever since I saw Pom Poko’s famous parade sequence on VHS as a teenager.

Reading through the few reviews and threads that exist for this game really made me appreciate the almost staggering number of special activities that can occur. I’ve heard of people who never competed in festivals or tournaments or betrothed/adopted outsiders or visited unique online player dungeons and lands (which all change each season!), but you can also run into restless spirits of former clan members in dungeons, have weapons cursed by specific demons who you need to seek out and destroy, have Nueko offer to sacrifice herself to give your younger dying clan members some extra months of life, and have parts of your city demolished by plagues, famines and hurricanes, none of which happened in my playthrough.

What it comes down to is that despite the game’s flaws (occasional repetitiveness, the potential for very bad luck in feast of all demons or key placement, overblown but still valid Nueko complaints, a Strange Journey-ish jerk of a last boss) there’s something kind of wonderful about a PSX-era game like this being revived with substantial production values and released into the current RPG market. It’s a game too many people will forget or overlook because it doesn’t check the right boxes for today’s RPG fan, but it’s something I’m really happy to have played and will hopefully be remembered by the dozen or so folks who experienced it.

ALSO THIS GAME IS ON SALE UNTIL TUESDAY FOR FIVE OR TEN FREAKING DOLLARS, JUST GET IT ALREADY -> https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ines/cid=UP9000-PCSA00155_00-ORESHIKA2EUUS000

That’s it, The End.

B_OuTt1XEAEVHc-.jpg

NIGHT-

Bloodborne seems to be killing, not totally unexpected. Sony exclusives always get a stronger following on gaf than most other sites. Can't wait to see the final results

Tainted

6wtoH0s.jpg

1. Fallout 4 ; Just brilliant and everything I wanted in a follow up to Fallout 3 / New Vegas. Spent countless hours lost in post apocalyptic Boston. Bethesda did it again

eCrotsq.jpg

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Newcomer to the series myself so the story was mostly lost on me...but what I experienced was probably the best implemented stealth game I have ever played with some crazy mechanics and upgrade trees.

bN4o99Q.jpg

3. SOMA ; Engaging and thought-provoking single player experience. Had some annoying monster bits but made up for with the most powerful story portrayed in video game form this year. Long after finishing it, the game still lingers on in my mind.

2QtvfPs.jpg

4. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth ; It's odd to me listing DLC in my GOTY list, but BOI: Afterbirth provided 50+ additional hours to my Binding of Isaac: Rebirth playtime which cannot be ignored. Fantastic add-on with tons more enemies, items, floors and secrets to discover.

kr5c5cx.jpg

5. Cradle ; This one came out of nowhere for me, fantastic sci fi world and after watching the first couple of mins I knew this was something I wanted to experience for myself. I'm glad I did

O4804dm.jpg

6. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; Fantastic expandalone and follow up to The New Order which easily was one of my favorite games of 2014

HCr18Jj.jpg

7. Cities: Skylines ; Easily the best city building game since the peak of the Sim City series. Takes everything which was great about those games and adds an additional layer of polish to bring it up to today's standards. Fantastic community support as well.

Honorable Mentions

aQejWck.jpg

x. Grand Theft Auto V (PC) ; Third year running of having this in my GOTY list and deserves a place due to the brilliant PC port Rockstar did and oh my, Los Santos at 60fps+ is just glorious

c3ZS1oz.jpg

x. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Decent follow up to HM1, although did not quite reach the heights of that game but still fun.

4FUV82V.jpg

x. Broken Age: The Complete Adventure ; Deserves mention with the long awaited conclusion released in 2015. Thoroughly enjoyed this adventure as a whole.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; The original Xenoblade was one of my all time favorites, and X lived up to the hype it set for me. The world is expansive and gorgeous, and incredibly well fleshed out. While the main story was somewhat disappointing, the side stories in the side missions more than made up for it for me.
2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter; An amazing experience. As a new trails fan I played both back to back upon hearing good word of mouth on gaf, and was definitely not disappointed. It was a ton of fun, with an amazing story and characters
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel; Just finished this game a few days ago, and it really did bring more of what I loved from the previous two trails games. Exploring Erebonia, a country that was mentioned many times in the sky games, but never visited, was really interesting and helped to continue fleshing out this wonderful world. The ending was a tease for Cold Steel 2, but it was still amazing in it's own right and I definitely can't wait for the sequel
4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate; While I had played a few MH games before, this was the first one to really get me hooked. The monster designs are amazing and the combat is some of the best I've seen in any game
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D; Zelda is one of my favorite series and Majora's mask is a much beloved game for good reason. The main reason this isn't higher is because I had experience with it before this year, unlike other ports on the list, though this was the first time I actually beat it
6. Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The fafnir knight; I love Etrian odyssey and this game gave me many, many hours of play. While IV is still my favorite in the series, 2 untold gives it a run for it's money
7. Splatoon; One of the freshest new ips around, and a great game. Might've been higher on the list if I had been able to play more during launch before being distracted by other games, but alas, I was very busy this summer
8. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows; This was an amazing piece of free dlc that was really enjoyable and different. While the stages were largely the same, playing as plague knight with his new mechanics and abilities made them feel completely new and different. It was a really fantastic game
9. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: As I said earlier the original Xenoblade is one of my favorite games. Main reasons for it being this low are that it's a port that doesn't add much new to the game, and while being a damn good port it does make some compromises such as menu ui

saucylion

1. Rocket League ; The most I've enjoyed a multiplayer game in a long time.
2. Cities Skyline ;
3. Fallout 4 ;
4. Halo 5 ;
5. Just Cause 3 ;
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ;
7. Project Cars ;

1. The Witcher 3 ; Was in the top 10 for a long time but the more I played the more I was drawn in. it's so good.
2. Undertale ; Was not sure what I was getting other than "undertale is good." Undertale is really fucking great. Soundtrack, characters, writing, all superb
3. Bloodborne ; not my first souls game but the first one I loved enough to complete. Monsters are gnarly, combat is fun.
4. Crypt of the NecroDancer ; I get so frustrated with this game because it's so god damn good and I am not very good at it.
5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Wonderful to look at and so fun to play.
6. Rocket League ; I dont play Multiplayer games, and I dont organize playtimes with friends but Rocket League was the exception. So addictive.
7. Disgaea 5 ; Fun characters, fun battle system.
8. Kerbal Space Program ; I haven't ever even made it to the moon and yet I have had nothing but a wonderful time every single time I play.
9. Heroes of the Storm ; as a long term DOTA player, I'm glad theres a MOBA thats "lower stakes" and much more casual that I can play when I'm not feeling in a DOTA mood.
10. Resident Evil Revelations 2; I had a friend come over the day it came out and we played the raid mode for like 13 hours. so much fun

Honorable Mentions
1. Rock Band 4; Brought back a series I had really enjoyed. Was worried that all of my love for it was nostalgia but it turns out that the game is still super good.
2. Until Dawn ; Didn't finish it, absolutely loved every moment of it that I played though.

pariah164

XvgxqPq.jpg

1. Ultra Despair Girls: Danganronpa Another Episode ; I was leery about this game ever since first hearing about it; I am bad at shooters, and anyone who's seen me play one can confirm this fact. However, after a sale, I caved in and bought this game, and boy, am I glad. This game, which takes place between Danganronpa 1 and 2, is wonderful. Just like with the first two games, I can't talk much about this game without spoiling it, but the story, characters, and twists were all just as amazing as its predecessors. If you haven't played this and you're a fan of the Danganronpa series, remedy that immediately.

DdMkiIQ.jpg

2. Superbeat Xonic ; Rhythm game fan though I am, I was never really a hardcore fan of the DJ Max series. Portable 3 was the one I tolerated the most, and Technika Tune left me cold. When I heard this game was coming out as a successor to the series, and heard that the gameplay was changed up, I was more than a little curious. Then I downloaded and played it, and just like that, I was hooked. The song variety is great; there is something for everyone here. The gameplay is challenging, and there are some songs I can't even beat on the easiest difficulty. Easy to learn and tricky to master, if you're a rhythm game fan, do yourself a favor and download this game.

pWhOSVg.jpg

3. Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth ; Take your typical otome formula (one cute girl, a bunch of cute guys, plenty of drama), make the girl poisonous to the touch, add some steampunk and some literature references, and you get Code Realize. It sounds a little strange, but this was not just one of the best otome games I've played, but one of the best games to come out this year. Sweet Fuse came out two years ago, and the heroine was one of the reasons I liked it so much. Cardia is the heroine this time, and she was definitely not just a damsel in distress; she learned how to survive, how to use her cursed body to get out of sticky situations. Her relationships with almost all the guys were deep and meaningful, and I got sucked into the story each time I played. It was hard to put down, and even harder to delete once I platinumed it. One day though, I will definitely journey to this crazy world again.

SLjOqpv.jpg

4. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; When I heard the words 'Persona 4' and 'rhythm game' in the same sentence, I wasn't sure what to expect. After playing it, I realized that I had not only a good game, but a fitting send off to one of the most memorable casts in recent JRPG history. This is one of the few rhythm games to actually have a story, and though for some it may be one of the weakest in the series, for me, it was crazy and zany enough to fit with the universe Persona 4 is set in. It's not the best rhythm game I've ever played, but it's definitely not the worst, and the free play mode is still challenging me long after beating the story.

cUI5J2i.jpg

5. Box Boy! ; There are a few gems scattered among the junk and free-to-start titles in the eShop, and this was definitely one of them. Difficult puzzles matched with loads of charm and a storyline that will nail you in the feels by the end, Box Boy! was a joy to play from start to finish. The post-game content will really put your puzzle-solving skills to the test, and the production values are very impressive for a black-and-white game, though that is expected from HAL Laboratories. Definitely worth your time and money.

EY4vDwJ.jpg

6. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ; 2015 was a good year to be a Falcom fan; the long awaited Second Chapter of Trails in the Sky was released, and then, XSEED released an early Christmas present with their newest title, Trails of Cold Steel. As a fan of Trails in the Sky (though I haven't had the chance to buy SC yet), I was excited to play Cold Steel. And it was worth the excitement; the characters and the gameplay are a joy, and though the game itself is pretty linear, it still feels like a huge world, and there's a lot to do. If you are at all a JRPG fan and own a Vita, you need to pick up this game.

Rj1o6FJ.jpg

7. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX ; The influx of rhythm games this year was not something I expected, but was happy to get. After a devastating delay and little to no promotion for it, this game had a pretty quiet launch, but that didn't stop it from making my list. It's right up there with Theatrhythm for the best rhythm game on the 3DS, and not just because it's adorable (and it is). Like with its fellow games on the PSP/Vita, it combines catchy songs and addictive gameplay with beautiful visuals to make a glorious feast for both the eyes and ears. Despite the super-deformed style of the characters, this game is just as challenging as its predecessors, and a must for fans of the genre.

6zmtzSt.jpg

8. Amnesia: Memories ; Another otome game, the adventures of an amnesiac heroine with worlds based around each guy was an intriguing premise that led me to picking it up on a semi-whim, and I'm glad I did. Save for one, the guys in the game were all great, and I was happy to see that very few events repeated themselves, leading to a unique experience each time I played it.

F7zNKGJ.jpg

9. Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2: Sisters Generation ; The only reason I knew about this franchise was because my significant other played it. When Rebirth 1 launched, I was urged to skip it and play Rebirth 2 instead, since the first game wasn't canon. I didn't, and played the first game, and it left me a little underwhelmed. This game is much better, and is a very entertaining RPG in it's own right. The characters really make the game; Nepgear's earnest personality has its own charm, and the other girls that join her on her quest each have their own quirks and are very unique.

sMZrJiM.jpg

10. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer ; One of the things I liked best about New Leaf was decorating my house. So when I heard a whole game was coming out based around that concept, I was sold. The game is great to play if you want something relaxing and soothing after a long day, or want something less intense after playing a more action-paced game. It's just as cute as New Leaf, Lottie is a great new character, and even Isabelle pops up every now and then. For a spin-off, this one hits all the right notes for me.

Honorable Mentions:

p3RLw1U.jpg

x. HuniePop ; This game was one of the most addictive games I've played this year. I'm not even kidding. The dialogue is laughable, the characters walking cliches, and the art is just okay. But the match 3 aspect of the the game got challenging fast, and tested my save-scumming abilities like no other. It is an adult game, so I knew what to expect going in, but for the most part, I speed past the adult bits so I can play more of the matching game.

ZxXnTu4.jpg

x. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines ; A game centered around a cursed family where nobody lives past the two-year mark is not gonna be a very happy one, storywise, and it's not. There are parts that lighten the mood, but the whole theme of the game is about revenge, getting back at the one who killed and cursed your family, and it's done through an RPG that is as interesting as it is serious. One thing that is beautiful is the art style; it's gorgeous, and puts the game in a category all it's own.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Incredible game, favourite game I've played in years easily. Beautiful world, great characters, great writing, stories, combat. The game has it all.

Kangi

10. Agar.io ; Please don't eat me.

9. Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 ; I'll be honest, just kinda padding the list with this one.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; Zelda and I have a troubled relationship. Why did I like OoT so much yet wind up so "meh" on Majora's Mask? Whatever the case... it's good. Just didn't resonate but so much with me.

7. Cosmochoria ; The adventures of a tiny naked astronaut. Loads of fun, but comes up a bit short on content.

6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Don't like it quite as much as Epic Yarn, but Good-Feel still makes some dazzling games. This would easily be the best-looking game of the year, but...

5. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; ...This game also came out this year, and dang. We need some more games that innovate aesthetically like these two. Unfortunately, this game does come up a bit short of its predecessor, Canvas Curse.

4. Super Mario Maker ; No, you're not clever for placing seven Hammer Bros. at the start of the course.

3. Splatoon ; This game could drive me to murder some fool teammates, but it's too well-crafted, fun, and engaging to ever let that drag it down. Add in some great post-launch support and free DLC, and you've got Nintendo's best new IP since Pikmin.

2. Undertale ; Brilliant, funny, charming... heartbreaking, disturbing, horrifying. A game that shows you what only games can. It's subversive, clever, and something everyone should experience. This game's the best MOTHER-like RPG since the actual MOTHER series. What game this year could possibly be better?

1. EarthBound Beginnings ; ...Maybe an actual MOTHER game. Sorry, Undertale.

1. The Witcher 3 ; Incredible story and incredibles atmosphere. Best game of the year for sure

2. Fallout 4 ; Say all you want and hate it as much as you can but I like this game. Its so fun. The main story is not that good but still one of the best games I ever played.

3. Bloodborne ; Best souls series game. The best gameplay in the series

4. Until Dawn ; Far far better than what David Cage ever done. This guys are AWESOME

5. Life Is Strange ; Ending was not satisfying but the rest was good

6. Starwars Battlefront ; Fun game to play with friends

7. Telltale Borderlands ; Best Telltale game I ever played

8. Tearaway Unfolded ; Pure magic from Media Molecule

9. Splatoon ; Great game

10. Super Mario Maker ; So creative. You can play it hours and hours and still so many levels left to do

Ultimadrago

1. The Witcher 3
Incredible story and incredibles atmosphere. Best game of the year for sure

2.Fallout 4
Say all you want and hate it as much as you can but I like this game. Its so fun. The main story is not that good but still one of the best games I ever played.

3.Bloodborne
Best souls series game. The best gameplay in the series

4.Until Dawn
Far far better than what David Cage ever done. This guys are AWESOME

5.Life Is Strange
Ending was not satisfying but the rest was good

6.Starwars Battlefront
Fun game to play with friends

7.Telltale Borderlands
Best Telltale game I ever played

8.Tearaway Unfolded
Pure magic from Media Molecule

9.Splatoon
Great game

10.Rock Band 4
This is the finest party game you can have.

Please read OP to format your post for voting eligibility. "Game A ; Comment."

TheXbox

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Greatest western RPG ever made.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Good story for one chapter, no story in second. Who cares? Best stealth game ever made.
3. Halo 5: Guardians ; Best Halo MP suite in years. Not enough content, but it's getting there. Let's not talk about the campaign.

Don't care to order the rest of these, maybe I'll fix it up before the deadline.

x. Star Wars Battlefront ; Shitty follow-up to Battlefront 2 but a decent game in its own right.
x. Bloodborne ; I played about half of this before my friend carried me through the rest of the game in an hour, but it was alright.
x. Rocket League ; Good game, I suck at it. Still fun.
x. Final Fantasy X HD Remake PS4 ; I don't know if this counts and I don't really care. Game is still awesome, Blitzball remains terrible

1. Undertale ; Undertale was just the unique experience I was looking for. It was a short playthrough when you consider the typical lengths of RPGs, but every moment was memorable. The way that the game's narrative and morality systems interacted with my agency as the player completely blew me away. It's impacted my perspective of player choice in other games as well, mostly to their detriment. While a lot of the games I play nowadays feel like shallow, fleeting affairs, this one will stick with me for a very long time.
2. Rocket League ; Rocket League was the other side of the Undertale coin in my case. I had been starving for a good competitive game for my friends and I to just jump into and get good at, and there Rocket League was. Like all good competitive games it's easy to grasp, but has a high skill ceiling in the form of car control and teamwork. It felt rewarding to just get good and learn how to fly, and the communication and teamwork was just icing on the cake.
3. Life Is Strange ; I haven't really succumb to the TellTale dreariness that others have, yet I still have to say that I really like this take on the formula. While some of the ending elements left a bit to be desired, I still enjoyed the characters, story, and mechanics.
4. Tales from the Borderlands ; I really like this for the same reasons I do LiS.
5. Bloodborne ; It's a souls game with Trickster dashes, sick ass Victorian era outfits, and some of the best monster design in the series to date. What more could you ask for? Ah yes, a DLC with more fantastic bosses, outfits, and weapons. Best thing since Artorias of the Abyss.

I didn't play a lot of new games this year. This is what stood out to me.

1. SOMA ; It was the single most thought provoking thing (not just game) I've come across in a long time. The Story was incredible and ended perfectly. The game itself was beautiful, well made and nicely paced. I'm shocked about how much I've thought about it since I completed it. It is that good.

2. Bloodborne ; I hate souls games. The combat is slow, the fantasy settings are super generic and the stories are pretentious messes. Bloodborne is not a souls game. The world is beautiful, haunting and singularly unique. The combat system is fast, stylish and incredibly satisfying. The world and story are intriguing enough that they add to the general mystique. Bloodborne is the most coherent game I've ever seen - everything just works perfectly together to the point that it feels like one person made the entire game.

3. Rise Of the Tomb Raider ; Its a shame this game was released against Fallout 4 as a timed exclusive on an unpopular platform. Once it releases on PS4 people are going to realize this is the best Tomb Raider game ever. Yes its more like Uncharted but that's a very good thing imo. Its beautiful to look at, well made, not too long and really fun to play.

4. Halo 5 ; The campaign's story sucked. Everything else was amazing. The gameplay, weapons, level design and graphics are the best I've ever seen in a Halo game.

5. The Witcher 3 ; I never liked the game itself too much but I can't not be blown away by the magnitude of the achievement here. The scale, depth, variety and quality of the game world is something I've only seen on Rockstar's games. Its a pity the combat and main story couldn't match the rest of it. I also got bored of all monsters being either re skinned ghosts or big bird like creatures.

That's it, all I've played this year that's new. I did play Far Cry 4 which I loved but that was a 2014 game so its not fair for me to include it here.

Nori Chan

1. Batman Arkham Knight ; A certain character's performance made this game amazing and it's such a beautiful game to a series.
2. Fallout 4 ; My first fallout game and I've been so overwhelmed with what to do that it takes me hours to decide what to do
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Amazing looking game that pushes Xbox one to the limit. It saddens me that I'm so close to finishing the game.
4. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; One of the best looking games to date and plays so well.
5. Halo 5 ; Story really lowered it's rankings, but the multiplayer is the best in the series.
6. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Best looking game of the year.
7. Bloodborne ; playing this game with my best friend made for some epic moments bro
8. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; Reviving the series that I love so very much makes this game top 10 of the year.
9. Yoshi's Wooly World ; IT'S JUST SO ADORABLE AND I LOVE PLAYING IT
10. Black Ops 3 ; Multiplayer and zombies are all that should be mention. Idk how this game would be up here since it has the worst campaign in franchise history.

I'm glad to see the Hotline Miami 2 and Batman Arkham Knight love in this thread.

Those two games were great but seemed forgotten by many.

Hasney

1. Witcher 3 ; I still need to finish this, maybe it would have gotten higher if I had, but damn this year of long video games sometimes. UPDATE: DID FINISH. NUMBER1.
2. Fallout 4 ; I thought that all I needed was more Fallout 3 and for it to change very little and it would walk to the top of the list. It ended up being much closer due to the quality improvements of the next game over it's predecessor, but my god. Well worth taking some time off work, drinking some Fallout beer and smashing through it for
3. Yakuza 5 ; What an improvement over 4 which was already a spectacular game. I'm just so glad we finally have this in English.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; People can talk about the story being incomplete or just not that enjoyable, but because this plays so goddamn well, I couldn't give a damn. Even now I'll pop it in and just drive around taking over guardposts.
5. Rocket League ; Probably the only time you'll ever see a multiplayer game on here from me. What an addictive blast.
6. Super Mario Maker ; I wasn't expecting this to be as fun to share levels as it was. A total triumph.
7. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; I actually forgot it even came out his year as it feels so long ago, but it gripped me harder than offline FF has since XII
8. Splatoon ; Probably would have been higher, but I hate using the gamepad. Give this in my hands with no motion control on the pro controller and I would be in heaven
9. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood ;
10. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ;

1. The Witcher 3 ; One of my favourite gaming worlds of all time. Got completely lost in this for hours on end and can't wait for the next DLC.
2. Bloodborne ; Best atmosphere in the series and the new combat system is great once you get used to it. I do miss the medieval setting though and the multi player is bit more difficult to get into than DS2 imo.
3. Until Dawn ; Sleeper hit of the year. If you haven't played this and like teen slashers and amazing graphics pick it up now.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Not quite as good as I hoped but my expectations were very high. Very good story and setting let down a bit by the combat for me.
5. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; Much better than Unity and the best setting since Brotherhood has somewhat restored my faith in the series.
6. Total War: Attila ; Finally Rome 2 delivers on its promise. AI is a challenge and time period is very interesting. My second most played game of the year.
7. Pillars of Eternity ; So deep, love the writing and setting. Good old style RPG that while hard is very good. Hope we get another with a bit more voice acting.
8. Halo 5 ; Better than Halo 4 although the campaign is still a let down. Multi was worth the investment of an Xbone for me.
9. Star Wars Battlefront ; Maybe shallow overall but I can't remember a game throwing up as many great scenes as this one.
10. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Batmoble sucked and the bosses were mostly awful, but I loved the combat and story. A real looker too.

11. Mad Max ; Nice little surprise this. Vast world and good car combat only let down for going on a bit too long.
12. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Very disappointed that this isn't number one. Poor story and repetitive missions make this the first MGS game I haven't completed. First few hours are great though.

prag16

Banned
1. Star Wars Battlefront ; Yes, lots of valid criticisms have been leveled against it, but the gameplay is fun and the atmosphere is absolutely stunning.
2. Splatoon ; Was kneecapped by questionable decisions by Nintendo, but at its core was an insanely fun new kind of shooter.
3. The Witcher 3 ; I never did get around to finishing this, and it dragged in spots with some MMO-esque nonsense, but this is CDPR's magnum opus to date, and I'm super pumped for Cyberpunk.
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Another one that I still have a ton of work to do on; my gaming time is limited these days. Impressive as hell that this type of scope and scale was competently achieved on the Wii U.
5. Fast Racing Neo ; I wish the controls were more like F-Zero, but that's not all bad; the game is its own thing, and it does a ton of stuff really well. Great indie game.
6. Wolfenstein The Old Blood ; Not quite at the level of TNO, but still excellent.
7. Disney Infinity 3.0 ; Okay it's not incredible or anything, but lots of great Star Wars content, and criminally underrated in my opinion (at least on gaf).
8. Lego Jurassic World ; Haven't played many Lego games, and got this mostly to play with my son, but enjoyed it much more than I expected.
9. Life Is Strange ; Haven't gotten through all the episodes yet, but what I've played has been fun and deserves mention.
10. Star Wars Battlefront Base Command ; This is partially padding out the list to get it to 10, but not entirely; this was a fun little time waster that gave in game credits to use in Battlefront, and was more entertaining than I expected it to be for a throwaway mobile companion game.

The rest of the stuff I played this year I didn't really dig into, or really didn't like very much, or both. Or old games. Solid year though overall. Looking forward to 2016 greatly, and hopefully I'll have a little more time to play games.

impact

Banned
1. Bloodborne ; The best game I played all year. Somehow FROM Software made the best series in gaming even better. This studio are clearly a couple tiers above all other devs, I don't know how they keep doing it. Speeding up the gameplay is EXACTLY what the series needed to take the next step.
2. Rocket League ; If you can make soccer fun to me, you're doing something VERY FUCKING RIGHT. One of the best multiplayer games to come out in the last several years.
3. Dying Light ; Dead Island X Mirrors Edge X 4 player online co-op is all I ever really needed.

Honorable Mentions
x. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; great gameplay, awful everything else

Overall a horrendous year in gaming honestly. Most of the big games were garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom