• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Okay, yeah, DAMN is growing on me. Beautiful shit.

HiResDes said:
Des, I'm curious, which tracks do you think drag it down? I still only dislike God. I even like Humble now, after I thought it was trash when it came out. Not sure how it fits in the narrative context though, since I still haven't fully understood the concept yet, tbh. I can't pay full attention to the lyrics right now, as I'm busy with studying.

Rooster12

So DAMN.

YAH
ELEMENT
FEEL
FEAR
XXX
GOD
DUCKWORTH

Enjoyed these songs more than just about anything on his previous albums.

Don't really care for the rest.

Replay factor is high though.

Dereck

This Carti track where he's talking about how he has tats on his neck and on his arm sounds like he doesn't know how good the beat is that he's rapping on.

Actually the whole tape sounds like this

This Carti track where he's talking about how he has tats on his neck and on his arm sounds like he doesn't know how good the beat is that he's rapping on.

Actually the whole tape sounds like this
Yeah, there's normally this disconnect between beat and bars on trap albums, but this one is especially egregious.

The beats are really good but Carti wastes them.

Helmholtz

Carti is 15/15
Magnolia, Let It Go, Dothatshit!, Yah Mean, Flex, Had 2...
Yeah yeah Kendrick released another masterpiece, cool man, it's so deep, wow. For a fun listen though? Carti did it.

Dereck

https://twitter.com/hannibalburess/status/853109711888982017

BATMAN DUNDUNDUNDUH
b8f1d156b2085a0e404cb1c98b2c7b54.500x280x8.gif

HiResDes

I love pretty much the same tracks as Helm, like Carti could have rapped a little less repetitively but flower over those like a battle rapper or lyrical miracle fashion doesn't work over those beats either. I still think Key is probably the best at making swag rap sound less repetitive while maintaining that nonchalant flow.

I will do a bigger write up on Damn. Still listening to it still delving into the lyrics trying to find hidden gems here and there. I'm gonna shut up about it for a little, but my least favorite songs are Love and Loyalty by far. Those are instant skips now and there are a couple of other middling ones for me.

Koozek

I forgot that album even existed already lol, I had to think again who made that album.
LOL. I was just about to say how I already forgot about it too.
I love pretty much the same tracks as Helm, like Carti could have rapped a little less repetitively but flower over those like a battle rapper or lyrical miracle fashion doesn't work over those beats either. I still think Key is probably the best at making swag rap sound less repetitive while maintaining that nonchalant flow.

I will do a bigger write up on Damn. Still listening to it still delving into the lyrics trying to find hidden gems here and there. I'm gonna shut up about it for a little, but my least favorite songs are Love and Loyalty by far.
Ohhh nice, looking forward to it. I need a few days too to digest. LUST is probably my fave, just for the Vibrate-like beat (Love Below is in my all-time Top 3). I assume it's a deliberate nod to it? Can't be the only one who immediately thought of that.

Helmholtz

Yes, absolutely, Key probably could have done something with these beats too, it'd be cool if he worked with some of these producers. I'm not sure I've heard many Pierre produced tracks before but after this album I'm an instant fan, he has a fantastic producer tag too. I haven't been following Carti for too long but it seems to me that this repetitive style is just something he's gravitated toward, with tracks like What leading up to this. Some of his older tracks were not nearly as repetitive, we know he's capable of stringing verses together, it's just a conscious style decision he made love it or hate it. I dig it, it's earworm stuff, simple catchy words strung together that you know off by heart and can just vibe along to, and of course it only works because of that stellar production backing it up.
I don't like Lust the let me put the head line makes me cringe when it's repeated over and over
Yeah that shit is just terrible.

Dereck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom