• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isomac

I have been impressed and motivated by all the things I have seen in this thread. I decided I would show what I have been doing myself. I am currently messing around with blueprints in UE4 to try different things with it. This week I have been working on a loot system. It can spawn gold and items of different rarity. So far I only got different colored cubes as the items.

Here is the system from yesterday, with rest of the things I have done to this test project. I know it's a real mess looking thing overall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSuQMSkJV0&feature=youtu.be

Today I made the gold system actually to do something. I made couple gold spawners here to see how things work.
6gwBjjDu9xwuQ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1i5C1tYO4g&feature=youtu.be&t=3s

GAMETA

Banned
Hey guys, it's the first time I see this thread around here. I'm an artist looking for freelancing, is it okay if I post my portfolio and contact info here?

Timeaisis

Looking for feedback for an .io game made with some fellas:

http://slaim.io

2d arena shooter with slimes + katanas + AK-47 :D

TIBJaR3.gif

That was really fun. :)
Just went a couple round with gem. Movement feels fluid and fun. I like the hiding grass.

The only thing I can't think of (it's not really a problem) is the level might be too big? Like, you have to trek for item boxes sometimes. Makes it hard to comeback if someone's got some good weapon. Again, not really an issue that took away from the fun, just an observation. That might be due to only playing with 1 other person though.

I didn't play with any more than 3 people. How many is possible?

Just pop my head in here to find out Missile is getting a sprog. Congrats! :D

...can we call you daddy now? :p

Looking for feedback for an .io game made with some fellas:

http://slaim.io

2d arena shooter with slimes + katanas + AK-47 :D

TIBJaR3.gif

That was really fun. :)
Just went a couple round with gem. Movement feels fluid and fun. I like the hiding grass.

The only thing I can't think of (it's not really a problem) is the level might be too big? Like, you have to trek for item boxes sometimes. Makes it hard to comeback if someone's got some good weapon. Again, not really an issue that took away from the fun, just an observation. That might be due to only playing with 1 other person though.

I didn't play with any more than 3 people. How many is possible?

Oh, that was you shooting me? XD
I thought time was a bot at first because they weren't collecting the boxes :p

It seemed ok from the time we played though it was only really us 2 for the majority. I found myself often wanting to use Right click to dash instead of katana and I never really used said blade outside of opening a few boxes (which is odd as I usually melee in just about any game that will let me.)
I noticed some kind of DNA pickup and a DNA bar at the top of the screen but was none the wiser as to what it stood for by the end of our lil play session :p
The MOBA styled bush stealth was a nice touch and while the box weapons are an advantage that was worth grabbing, I noticed plenty of occasions where the other person could either take them out or draw with just the basic weapon so it wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the comments! :) sure it may seem big for 2 players but with 8 players (max per room) is a bit crazy hehe.

If you fill the DNA bar at the top you become super slime :D

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
06P4rsD.gif

Couple new effects I'm working on -- clouds and flower fields. Trying to use these to help communicate scale.
I love the speed and looks of the game :).

Does anyone here have experience with Unity for New Nintendo 3DS? I'm wondering how Unity performs on New Nintendo 3DS and if it would be a viable platform to release my 3d platformer I am currently working on (in addition to the SRPG, but that is very much bound to be Wii U exclusive) on. Due to the age of the 3DS I am feeling unsure if it still a wise idea to invest in development hardware. If a port of my Wii U project (currently running at ~90-120fps on an old laptop with integrated video card in development mode) is viable, it could be a nice thing to add, but since I have not seen a lot of Unity 3DS projects, let alone 3D games with relatively large game areas (say, Banjo size or a bit more), I'm feeling a bit insecure about that "adventure".

Timeaisis

Just pop my head in here to find out Missile is getting a sprog. Congrats! :D

...can we call you daddy now? :p

Oh, that was you shooting me? XD
I thought time was a bot at first because they weren't collecting the boxes :p

It seemed ok from the time we played though it was only really us 2 for the majority. I found myself often wanting to use Right click to dash instead of katana and I never really used said blade outside of opening a few boxes (which is odd as I usually melee in just about any game that will let me.)
I noticed some kind of DNA pickup and a DNA bar at the top of the screen but was none the wiser as to what it stood for by the end of our lil play session :p
The MOBA styled bush stealth was a nice touch and while the box weapons are an advantage that was worth grabbing, I noticed plenty of occasions where the other person could either take them out or draw with just the basic weapon so it wasn't too bad.

Haha, yea that was me.
I didn't need the boxes to win!
at first
:p

Oh, yeah I had no idea what the DNA was either. I think it increased your health?

It's really two different things, though - a bigger canvas doesn't mean harder, in fact I'd argue the opposite :-D You have to make every pixel count, whereas I can afford lots of approximation!
I more or less agree that smaller is harder, in a way. Gotta be way more precise, where as bigger means you can be way looser. But that said, traditional animation is a completely different beast to pixel art, and is hard in it's own way.

RAM will definitely be an issue for you for the bigger art, with upwards of 1000 frames of animation, at least for the player character. I probably would've had similar issues for a fan game I was working on. A HD, 2d, "Smash-like" with 4 players. Unfortunately we had to abandon the game before we really got to test it out. One big plus on our side was we were using compressed, indexed sprites, so they were quite small, bit-wise. Here's one of the big ones:

If anyone is even slightly interested, you can download and play the last version before we quit here.

DNAbro

I more or less agree that smaller is harder, in a way. Gotta be way more precise, where as bigger means you can be way looser. But that said, traditional animation is a completely different beast to pixel art, and is hard in it's own way.

RAM will definitely be an issue for you for the bigger art, with upwards of 1000 frames of animation, at least for the player character. I probably would've had similar issues for a fan game I was working on. A HD, 2d, "Smash-like" with 4 players. Unfortunately we had to abandon the game before we really got to test it out. One big plus on our side was we were using compressed, indexed sprites, so they were quite small, bit-wise. Here's one of the big ones:

If anyone is even slightly interested, you can download and play the last version before we quit here.

oh shit you were making a Homestuck fangame? That looks pretty damn good.

oh shit you were making a Homestuck fangame? That looks pretty damn good.

Thanks. I'm pretty dang proud of what we managed to produce.

During the height of the comic, it was actually one of the biggest fan projects. Unfortunately it had to come to an end. At the very least, me and my dev mate learned a whole bunch, became friends, and are now working on an original game.

fin

Can anyone recommend any required reading for monitization strategies? Specifically which services are popular and how to use them in games? I've never released a free game before, and honestly I'm not looking forward to the monitization part of the project, but it's coming up soon...

From my limited googling looks like chartboost and admob are the best bang for the buck. Use chart boost for cross-game advertising (ie hey play my new/old game), or even setup ad campaigns with other devs.

Admob for static banner ads and well...because Google.

Also any reading on best ways to show ads and best ways to get people to watch/click on them would be great. I'm thinking offer an in-game power-up if the ad is watched/clicked.

embalm

I'm creating a top down RPG. Does anyone have good insight or some articles into the Mobile/tablet RPG scene? I'm looking for games to try and articles on the market.

Using Unity 5, I just finished my dialog engine. It makes great use of their UI tools and loads everything from JSon files. I'm working on the battle engine next, which should be good fun.

Nothing to show, I just wanted to join the thread again.

Thx man! Yes, I'm becoming a father!!! :D Six month to go... Holy!
Congrats, missile!

So you can set ghosts on fire. This is a thing. I think it looks cool but it also makes no sense. Hmmm what to do.

Just make it a feature -- ghosts are almost invisible until they're set on fire. You can only fully see them when they're burning.

I mean, it doesn't make any sense "physics"-wise, but gameplay-wise I think it'd be pretty sweet. Especially if burning ghosts can spread smaller amounts of fire to others, so you can have instances where you think there's only one until a whole crowd of ghosts light up.

Timeaisis

Well, my greenlight ain't going so hot. I was really hoping to get this out on steam and move on to the next thing, but looks like I'll be in limbo for a while. I wasn't expecting like crazy numbers or anything with minimal lead up, but I was expecting at least some traffic...
Kind of sucks, because I'm ready to move on, but can't in good conscience do that at this point, even though the game is 90% done.

Are there any like fantastically obscure promo methods I'm not keen on? It seems like if you aren't hot day one, you got nothing.

snarge

Well, my greenlight ain't going so hot. I was really hoping to get this out on steam and move on to the next thing, but looks like I'll be in limbo for a while. I wasn't expecting like crazy numbers or anything with minimal lead up, but I was expecting at least some traffic...
Kind of sucks, because I'm ready to move on, but can't in good conscience do that at this point, even though the game is 90% done.

Are there any like fantastically obscure promo methods I'm not keen on? It seems like if you aren't hot day one, you got nothing.

I just gave you a vote!. I'm definitely no expert, but here are some non-secret things: I couldn't find your game by searching for it on twitter. Get at least a few hashtag #aquickdeath's in there. Also, overall, hashtag more. #gamedev #indiegamedev...I mean, they kinda pick up dirt followers sometimes, but you also get some RT bots that are followed by game dev'rs, so that's not too bad. And sometimes, actual game devs and people interested in games. Tomorrow's #screenshotsaturday, so don't forget to engage in that.

Also, don't forget to engage with people on twitter. Don't just promote your game, but get in there and talk to people about their games.

I'm pulling this all from a real recent article I read, but I can't find it. However, here's a link to all the good social media stuff for indie devs:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Yole...moting_your_indie_game_on_social_networks.php

I think your game looks great, it's a wonderful concept, btw.

It's really two different things, though - a bigger canvas doesn't mean harder, in fact I'd argue the opposite :-D You have to make every pixel count, whereas I can afford lots of approximation!

Oh! Congrats :-D :-D

Ah, I see!

Well, in my case it's really an aesthetical choice: as far as I know, there are few to no pros on the technical side to use that animation technique (and most others are designed expressedly to cover for its faults) - it's longer, it's harder, it costs a lot more... I just find the aesthetical gain to completely offset those cons and make it ultimately "worth it", but it's obvious I couldn't do this in any kind of traditional industrial setting! Very few "standard industrial" mid-size studios can afford it (in fact, I can only really think of Lab Zero these days), and I only can because I work solo, on my own schedule every day with little in the way of short-term external deadlines, and where the main pressure comes from my source of funding (french welfare system, with oversight by the people in charge of my situation) - meaning if they decide to cut me off at any point, I have nothing left, as I have barely enough to make it month to month as it is. (To be clear, I'm not complaining, far from it: just trying to answer your question as detailed as I can to underline that it's not a choice to be made lightly, and that I made it because I believe it's one of the few things I *can* do and bring to the table at this point).

Regarding C2, I've talked about it a few times and I may have been unclear: there is no actual "max memory size limit" that I know of, but the engine had a memory warning when going over an arbitrary size (1Gb of estimated RAM usage), which is what I have repeatedly complained about. After enough complaining, though, C2's devs have very recently removed this warning and the associated hassle (many thanks to them!!) meaning I'm free to stuff as many assets as I want in C2... at least, so far! Maybe I'll run up against an actual wall later down the line :-D

I'm using C2 because it's the only engine I know of that is explicitely designed *not* to rely on written code by the user. Even Game Maker expects users to know and use GML after a while, and I simply cannot learn/use proper programming syntax (spent enough years hitting my head against that specific wall to know that's a major issue for me). If I'm to work solo, C2 is the only engine I *can* use, as everything about it is accessible through visual building blocks (Unity and Unreal have some "visual scripting" plugins I know of, but in my experience, they're still very limiting and don't allow for use of the whole engine's capabilities, like C2 does).

So it's basically a "make do with what I have" situation, where I'm lucky enough that C2 can do what I want well enough! :-D
But it's true that it's primarily designed with mobile games in mind, so one has to watch out for issues specific to bigger projects that might pop up: if you intend to use C2 for your own ends, look into the trial version/other games (most notably: Yonder, Klang) that have been done with it first to see if it suits your needs!

EDIT: shoot, top of the page, I was hoping someone else would've posted something while I was typing that novel. Well uh, have one of the latest animations:
ValuableNervousBullfrog.gif

(one of the last for a while, actually, as I'll begin cleaning/coloring all of the sketches so far in the coming days and for a likely big part of the year, so updates might get a bit scarce).

Also, I hadn't posted the finished version of the illustration I had posted prior, so here it is as well for those curious/interested:

This is awesome. I was just about to ask if you had any coding experience. I didnt realize Construct was setup for non-programmers. I'll definitely look into it. I'm currently spinning my wheels on learning all these programs when i would love to just get started.

Congrats Missile

missile

Thx for all the sympathies, guys! Appreciate it!

My last months being a free man! xD I'm curious how all my gamedev work will
change. I think I have to cut lose of some of my research projects and work
more towards a productive end in the sense of combining the things I have and
go with it. I hope I have my renderer ready that time for producing some of
the looks I am after for the game I have in mind.

What engine are you using for your kid ?
100% homebrew xD

Congrats missile. I'm so jelly. My biological clock is tickin'! ...
Don't wait for too long, unless you know your wife can get pregnant in an
instant.

General speaking, the problem is that you or your wife can have problems
getting pregnant (her). And if the cause isn't fully clear or some of you needs
special treatment to foster pregnancy, the years can go by pretty fast.
Closing in on the age of around 40 can make everything more complicated
for getting pregnant, or you may lose one or two kids due to a higher risk
at that age and may need one or two more tries etc.. So I would say, if
someone wants to wait a lil longer (s)he should make clear at the age of
around 33-35 that there are no obvious issue for getting pregnant. If there
are any, you will need these years to accommodate on whatever rises the chance
for getting pregnant. It's around this time when you come to realize you may
have waited for too long. And this time will be a pretty tough one esp. for the
wives. So for every man in here, if you wanna have kids, don't put you wife
into such a position getting older than about 35 because you aren't ready
yet. There will never be the right moment (as it is said). There will always
be work, a project, a thesis etc. to finish, I know. But in the end that's
all bullsh!t.

Anyhow, what I wanna say is; for anyone who wants to wait a lil longer, don't
think everything runs according to plan just because you are ready now. Factor
in the possibility that it may actually take much longer. 5 years is a good
safety factor. Subtracting from the age for 40 gives 35. Around that age you
should really start to think hard about it all, if you haven't already.

Also, I hadn't posted the finished version of the illustration I had posted prior, so here it is as well for those curious/interested:
Oh yeah, wow, well done! That bloom looks good. It (as an overlay) also
separates well from the lighting, for, it's only an effect happens in the
eyes (scattering) (Edit: not to confuse with atmospheric scattering). This
blending gives the feeling of looking through her eyes, actually. I think
without the bloom it would be like she and I are looking at the pyramid.

Guys.

I'm not sure you if you know this or not.

But making games is hard.
If I hear this again it will be the second time. ;)

missile

Missile's kid will have the finest dithering. Congrats. ...
ROFL (thx!).

Introducing one of the first summons for helvetii, Cernnunos ! Still some tweaks to do but i'm pretty happy so far

27cae2c5d5.gif
I think this is awesome (the painted look, too).
Curious how it looks in action.

... So you can set ghosts on fire. This is a thing. I think it looks cool but it also makes no sense. Hmmm what to do.

example: https://gfycat.com/ChillyDenseLadybug
Make them shy of fire.

missile

Congrats! :D
Thx, Sir!

brsxYni.gif

Some more texture mapping. Here I compute the UV coordinates on the fly,
per pixel, by actually projecting the texture onto the square, which is a bit
over the top for standard planar mapping, but I want to animate the texture's
frame of reference (sitting in 3d world space) and also want change the way in
which the texture gets projected with the projection possibly changing per
pixel (non-linear projection). The animation looks a bit crappy without any
filtering and at that resoution, but that's not a big deal for me at the
moment. Hey Pe, hope you don't mind using some of your assets? :D

HcoytBo.gif

I also reworked my HDR mapper in now being able to better manipulate the color
channels in such a way that I can control how, when, and how quickly the
colors start to blow-up to white. This also gives me better colors (more
saturated) when the colors are still within range, under my current settings.
This fine blow-up produces a better sensation of the whole scene getting
bright, in a uniform fashion and without bands in the colors if the lights
go up strong. It needs some more work, but I like it so far.

Scripting advice. I'm just starting in Unity after exclusively using Game Maker Studio. I'm trying to figure out how to do things as close to how I did them in GMS as possible and I had some questions for anyone who knows about this.

Here's basically how I handled movement in GMS
Code:
hsp = 0 //this is my horizontal speed
if moveright hsp = movespeed
if moveleft hsp = -movespeed

x += hsp;

Crude example, but that's basically how I'd move my character. Is there a way in Unity for me to simply get the X and Y position of my GameObject and reposition that in code using my own movement and collision variables? I'm mostly struggling right now just trying to figure out how to get those position variables, and then reset them, as in Unity you can't simply refer to them as X or Y, etc.

Tips?

Timeaisis

Scripting advice. I'm just starting in Unity after exclusively using Game Maker Studio. I'm trying to figure out how to do things as close to how I did them in GMS as possible and I had some questions for anyone who knows about this.

Here's basically how I handled movement in GMS
Code:
hsp = 0 //this is my horizontal speed
if moveright hsp = movespeed
if moveleft hsp = -movespeed

x += hsp;

Crude example, but that's basically how I'd move my character. Is there a way in Unity for me to simply get the X and Y position of my GameObject and reposition that in code using my own movement and collision variables? I'm mostly struggling right now just trying to figure out how to get those position variables, and then reset them, as in Unity you can't simply refer to them as X or Y, etc.

Tips?

You have to get the transform.position (a Vector3) and adjust it all at once, because x and y are read only values. Transform.position, however, is not.

E.g. (if you are in 2D)

Code:
//variables
GameObject myCharacter = GetMyCharacter(); //or however you do that
float moveX = 0;//here you calculate your x movement via hsp or whatever
float moveY = 0;//here you calculate your y movement

//movement
Vector3 myNewPos = myCharacter.transform.position;
myNewPos = new Vector3(myNewPos.x + moveX , myNewPos.y + moveY , myNewPos.z);
myCharacter.transform.position = myNewPos;

You have to get the transform.position (a Vector3) and adjust it all at once, because x and y are read only values. Transform.position, however, is not.

E.g. (if you are in 2D)

Code:
//variables
GameObject myCharacter = GetMyCharacter(); //or however you do that
float moveX = 0;//here you calculate your x movement via hsp or whatever
float moveY = 0;//here you calculate your y movement

//movement
Vector3 myNewPos = myCharacter.transform.position;
myNewPos = new Vector3(myNewPos.x + moveX , myNewPos.y + moveY , myNewPos.z);
myCharacter.transform.position = myNewPos;

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Now that I understand how to change the position of a game object I can start figuring a few more things out.

EDarkness

Thx man! Yes, I'm becoming a father!!! :D Six month to go... Holy!

Oh shit! That's awesome, man. Congrats! I wish you the best. Gonna be even crazier from here on.

I haven't been posting here as much as I should, but I figured I'd give an update on how things are going with my game. I want to say things are moving fast, but alas. The last couple of weeks have been tough since I haven't been sleeping well, so most of my time is spent lying around and being tired. I think it's about time to solve this job issue or it's gonna kill me.

Still, progress hasn't stopped and I've managed to get the first part of the game working nicely. Cutscenes and the like aren't there yet, but the actual structure and flow is there. I have my wife run through the early story and quests to give some feedback and it's been pretty good. She doesn't like action RPGs, but seems to be enjoying herself when she plays. That's pretty encouraging, to be honest. Having a lot of fun crafting the main story and mapping out the dialogue. Took a lot of time planning the story over the years and it's been through a few revisions, but I think what I have now is pretty engaging and works well as a game. I guess the proof will be in the playing.

I posted this screen on Twitter, but for those who don't follow me there, I've posted it here to kinda join in with others who are showing their stuff. The game has come a long way from where it was, yet it still needs a bit of love. I hope to have it done this year, too. We'll see about that. I'm hopeful, though.

Skullforge_122.jpg

Anyone else have a rough time moving from Game Maker to Unity? The jump from GML script to C# is pretty brutal. I know GML well enough that I feel like I can pull off anything using it, but even figuring out the basics of how both Unity and C# works is really daunting.

If anyone else has made that transition, what helped you out? I've done a few of the basic tutorials on the Unity website. I've been messing with the Rigidbody2D and Collision boxes, and my main issue so far is that any collision I do the player object actually kind of goes into a wall and sort of bounces back out. It's weird getting the built in physics stuff to work the way I want it to.

snarge

My screenshotsaturday:

n24zPwT.gif

Sent out an alpha for feedback and the responses were that it was just plain fun, needs menu work, and sucks without a controller. I agree! And so I'm building pause menus, better menu flow, and trying SO HARD to get a viable KB&M control scheme to work.

Well that & what's shown in the gif...I myself was finding it hard to track what my multiplier is and what it means. So I made it
1.) White (was green)
2.) Bigger
3.) Move to the combo bar, to make the connection
It's funny how something not tied to the core gameplay can improve the experience so much!

Anyone else have a rough time moving from Game Maker to Unity? The jump from GML script to C# is pretty brutal. I know GML well enough that I feel like I can pull off anything using it, but even figuring out the basics of how both Unity and C# works is really daunting.

If anyone else has made that transition, what helped you out? I've done a few of the basic tutorials on the Unity website. I've been messing with the Rigidbody2D and Collision boxes, and my main issue so far is that any collision I do the player object actually kind of goes into a wall and sort of bounces back out. It's weird getting the built in physics stuff to work the way I want it to.

One solution is to not make a physics-based game until you have a better feel for how Unity works :)
Oh, also -- for physics collisions, make sure you use continuous mode.

snarge

Sounds like you might be moving or affecting the Transform of the object with a Rigidbody2D attached to instead of using the Rigidbody2D to move it.
1.) Don't manipulate Transform.position directly if using a rigidbody
2.) Do use AddForce or Velocity to move things around

And keep in mind, if you want to do precise, platform like controls, you're probably better off doing your own approach than Unity's physics based stuff. I use Prime31's platformer controller for the basis of my movement in ShellStorm: https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D

Timeaisis

I just gave you a vote!. I'm definitely no expert, but here are some non-secret things: I couldn't find your game by searching for it on twitter. Get at least a few hashtag #aquickdeath's in there. Also, overall, hashtag more. #gamedev #indiegamedev...I mean, they kinda pick up dirt followers sometimes, but you also get some RT bots that are followed by game dev'rs, so that's not too bad. And sometimes, actual game devs and people interested in games. Tomorrow's #screenshotsaturday, so don't forget to engage in that.

Also, don't forget to engage with people on twitter. Don't just promote your game, but get in there and talk to people about their games.

I'm pulling this all from a real recent article I read, but I can't find it. However, here's a link to all the good social media stuff for indie devs:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Yole...moting_your_indie_game_on_social_networks.php

I think your game looks great, it's a wonderful concept, btw.

Thanks for the tips! That's very helpful. Also, appreciate the kind words.

As per Unity's physics system, in 2D yeah it can be a bit confusing and weird. Honestly, I find it better to write your own movement system or use a third party library than wrangle with rigidbody2d and Unity's physics things in my experience. Most 2D "physics" are just gravity and collision detection after all.

Ranger X

How do you guys do when you plan your controller support?

I am trying to find stats about what controller PC gamers are using the most because I'd like my button layout to be the less wierd possible. (lets say I don't make a button configuration for gamepad). Those stats seems impossible to find, nobody gives a shit. Do you design your layout with a 360 / XboxOne controller in mind? I know there's alot of third party controller modeled around that standard.
How do you guys do?

Oh and, its still saturday so...

ControllerSupport_zpslxmsum88.png

HelloMeow

Actually...

Neither transform.position or any of Vector3's members are read only. Vector3 is a value type, so transform.position returns a copy. Trying to change its value would be pointless, since essentially what you're doing is changing the value of the copy, which is not a variable anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom