• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF you mislead me!! The Order!!

OCD Guy

I really want to play this game. I'm fine with an 8 hour campaign, it's certainly not the first game to be that length.

What worries me is there's so many mixed opinions, guess the only way I know is by trying it myself...

OCD Guy

Hmm.. Game is currently 30$ on psn..

To bite or not to bite..

Is it?

It's showing $59.99 for me. Are you talking about the U.S. Store, or Canada?

I've just gone on the store as I was ready to purchase at that price.

Edit: Canadian PSN shows $69.99

Grateful for the easy platinum trophy. Really enjoyed parts of it, but overall it felt like a proof of concept that is begging for a sequel. I hope RAD gets that opportunity.

It's not a bad game, but for $60 it didn't offer nearly enough content. The campaign can be beaten in 8 hours if you play at a medium pace and then that's it. Its a good game to rent, and now that the price is coming down it might be worth buying.

Raysod

Banned
The Order, in my opinion, was a great tech demo for what the RAD Engine 4 can do in PS4…

I still believe that currently it is the best looking game released in the next generation by far…

As a game though it has lots of bad design gameplay choices. For example to continuously have the user to stop the action to do a QTE and the stealth sections were the worst parts of the experience…

Other issues I had with the game was bad AI design, the (only two) boss battles that were identical and the werewolf fights (the highlight of the game since its announcement trailer) that were really bad…

I would still recommend a rent on anyone still interested on the game, just to admire its flawless and impressive technical side…

I personally finished the game in an afternoon and it took me almost 7 hours in normal difficulty…

On the other hand I also believe that The Order is a great entry point to Third Person Shooters for inexperienced/new gamers…

Gears of War its years ahead in gameplay design/campaign/scenario etc…

If someone finds the Order around 20 dollars/euro go for it, but don't spend more than this amount of money on it...

Also in eu Sony store The Order had its first sale (3 months after its release) and its 32 euro for plus members which means that the game didn't had great sales - i bet that it will soon be on ps plus games...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...nts-save-on-the-order-1886-portable-classics/

faridmon

Yea, that alternate reality steampunk shooter where the ruggedly handsome protagonist shoots his way out of every situation shouldn't be mentioned together with that other game.

First, you compared them in terms of the ''Games Gaf likes to hate'' and not the the themes .Second, yes they aren't comparable at all. One is Super Linear game that is a barely a game, while the other, Gaf complained, has a bit too much game in it.
Third, one is critically acclaimed while the other one is slammed in reviews.
Fourth, one came from one of the best video game designers, Ken Levine, while the other one is a console debut from an unknown studio, relatively speaking.

Yes, those two should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

doyoueven

Neo Member
I thought generally the response from GAF was positive re: The Order?? I remember at launch feeling like a minority on here when I posted that I thought it was absolute garbage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
More people need to come to grips that enjoyment of something doesn't mean that something is in fact good. That goes for anything not just games.

In fact, it's with games that people get the most defensive about it. With movies you will hear time and time again "man that movie is shit but I love it"

For some reason tho most of the times, with games it's "I love it so its awesome"

Edit: I didn't play the order, this is more if a general statement about several games

nib95

Banned
I really enjoyed it. Played it through twice back to back, and will likely play it through again at some point in the future. It has many flaws, but I also think it was judged far too critically by some. The core gunplay is well implemented and highly satisfying. Also quite fond of the characters, world and general premise of the narrative.

Gxgear

It's somewhere between Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls for me, I feel like everyone should give it a try at some point since there's just so few cinematic focused games like these.

I personally thought the story was pretty good; maybe there were plot inconsistencies but it's like with movies where it's not noticeable for me during the game.

Fbh

Lol. Maybe I have been desensitised by almost every game having a sequel-bait ending nowadays.

While that is true, my problem with the plot in this game is that a lot of games with sequel bait at least feel like the first chapter of a bigger story (Like Mass Effect, for example). In the order I felt like I was playing the prologue to the first chapter of a bigger story

More people need to come to grips that enjoyment of something doesn't mean that something is in fact good. That goes for anything not just games.

In fact, it's with games that people get the most defensive about it. With movies you will hear time and time again "man that movie is shit but I love it"

For some reason tho most of the times, with games it's "I love it so its awesome"

Edit: I didn't play the order, this is more if a general statement about several games

Can't agree with that.
If a movie is entertaining to watch it's a good movie. It's why something like Nic Cage's Wicker Man is a solid 8/10 in my book (best unintentional humor ever). And the same goes for videogames, if it's fun to play then it's a good videogame

Zolbrod

Yep.

Nothing mind-blowing, but still entertaining enough.
I don't regret buying it for $40 or so.

If something looks interesting to you, just try it. Don't let the Internets decide for you.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Some people also need to come to grips that opinions about a video game are subjective and just because people shouting something is bad loudly doesn't make it actually bad. The Order obviously has flaws, but they are nowhere near the complete trash like descriptions people keep trying to lob at the game. With you admitting to not playing the game however, your original statement seems disingenuous now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Some people also need to come to grips that opinions about a video game are subjective and just because people shouting something is bad loudly doesn't make it actually bad. The Order obviously has flaws, but they are nowhere near the complete trash like descriptions people keep trying to lob at the game. With you admitting to not playing the game however, your original statement seems disingenuous now.

Dude I said it was a general statement. And yes opinions are relative, but my point stands. Rarely do you hear "man that game is shit but I love it" like you do with movies. I wasn't attacking the game... like at all.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
First, you compared them in terms of the ''Games Gaf likes to hate'' and not the the themes .Second, yes they aren't comparable at all. One is Super Linear game that is a barely a game, while the other, Gaf complained, has a bit too much game in it.
Third, one is critically acclaimed while the other one is slammed in reviews.
Fourth, one came from one of the best video game designers, Ken Levine, while the other one is a console debut from an unknown studio, relatively speaking.

Yes, those two should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

Oh my, you're upset. First of all, I didn't compare them in anything other than themes just to highlight the absurdity. Second, both of them are linear experiences and in every aspect just as much a game. Thirdly, since when should we factor in critical acclaimed in comparison? Should we consult metacritic before comparing any sort of media to eachother? Fourthly, Ken Levine has made a career out of making the same game with a different shine of paint for the last decade or two. I like that game a lot so I hope he continues to make it.

I still don't see any valid arguments for them not be compared in the same sentence.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The Order: 1886 was an excellent game and an 8.5/10 in my opinion. What's truly sad is that all the bad reviews mentioned how short the game is, that it's too linear, no multi-player, etc. but yet forgot to mention that it virtually had no bugs or glitches and can be played right out of the case. I guess nowadays if your game has bugs and glitches, you get an extra few points added to the score.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Dude I said it was a general statement. And yes opinions are relative, but my point stands. Rarely do you hear "man that game is shit but I love it" like you do with movies. I wasn't attacking the game... like at all.

I never said you were, but you have to realize making such a statement in a thread about the appeal of a game and then saying, "It's a general statement. I wasn't talking about the game at all!" is a bit puzzling.

eso76

Is it?

It's showing $59.99 for me. Are you talking about the U.S. Store, or Canada?

I've just gone on the store as I was ready to purchase at that price.

Edit: Canadian PSN shows $69.99

Actually, 31,99 € / 27.99£ - EU store. (ends 05/28 iirc)
Link

Tempting at that price. also BF4 vanilla is 15€, another game i've been wanting to try for a while.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not a bad game, but for $60 it didn't offer nearly enough content. The campaign can be beaten in 8 hours if you play at a medium pace and then that's it. Its a good game to rent, and now that the price is coming down it might be worth buying.

Taking your time with the game and making an attempt to immerse yourself in that game world, trying to get some trophies too, and your completion time will probably be more than 8 hours. Considering how many people never finish their games, the prevalent thought that games need to be 30-40 hours monsters to be worth $60 seems a bit strange. People buy 2 hour movies for $12-15, what's wrong with a8-10 hour game for $60?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Order, in my opinion, was a great tech demo for what the RAD Engine 4 can do in PS4…

I still believe that currently it is the best looking game released in the next generation by far…

As a game though it has lots of bad design gameplay choices. For example to continuously have the user to stop the action to do a QTE and the stealth sections were the worst parts of the experience…

Other issues I had with the game was bad AI design, the (only two) boss battles that were identical and the werewolf fights (the highlight of the game since its announcement trailer) that were really bad…

I would still recommend a rent on anyone still interested on the game, just to admire its flawless and impressive technical side…

I personally finished the game in an afternoon and it took me almost 7 hours in normal difficulty…

On the other hand I also believe that The Order is a great entry point to Third Person Shooters for inexperienced/new gamers…

Gears of War its years ahead in gameplay design/campaign/scenario etc…

If someone finds the Order around 20 dollars/euro go for it, but don't spend more than this amount of money on it...

Also in eu Sony store The Order had its first sale (3 months after its release) and its 32 euro for plus members which means that the game didn't had great sales - i bet that it will soon be on ps plus games...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...nts-save-on-the-order-1886-portable-classics/

7 hours seem a bit like racing through it to me, but I do understand that I like to take my time with games, perhaps too much sometimes, but when the world is so well built and interesting I cannot help myself and try to explore it and take a good look at every awe inspiring scenery.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The ending was stupid (well, not the ending itself really but it's how they chose to end it.) The entire plot--or rather, how characters react in it--was stupid as well.

The last boss battle was lazy as hell. "Ugh, we need to do a final boss encounter... fuck it, let's just copy paste an entire thing from back then again" Yea yea it's not good to call devs lazy and all that but seriously how can you see that last boss battle and not have the word jumping around in your mind?

You basically run through the entire game fighting the same types of human with very basic AI routines (peek and shoot and running towards you shotgun charge) and that's it, that's the entire thing

The lycan encounters were all horseshit and a huge embarrassment.

The graphics are gorgeous, and the gunplay is alright (and the selection of guns, although basic, is okay too--love the Thermite Rifle (though of course you only get to use it a short while in the entire course of the game).

hohoXD123

I think the plot was fine, certainly nowhere near the worst I've experienced, although the weak ending probably ruined it for people. The gameplay was also fine tbh, nothing spectacular but not bad anyway. The biggest problem with this game is that neither the plot nor the gameplay stand out, although the graphics certainly do its just not enough. Would still say it's worth playing though.

Oh my, you're upset. First of all, I didn't compare them in anything other than themes just to highlight the absurdity. Second, both of them are linear experiences and in every aspect just as much a game. Thirdly, since when should we factor in critical acclaimed in comparison? Should we consult metacritic before comparing any sort of media to eachother? Fourthly, Ken Levine has made a career out of making the same game with a different shine of paint for the last decade or two. I like that game a lot so I hope he continues to make it.

I still don't see any valid arguments for them not be compared in the same sentence.

The comparison makes no sense. Bioshock Infinite is a critically acclaimed game that the overwhelming majority of gamers like (it came second place in its year's GOTY). The Order is one of the most poorly rated AAA games in recent years, and it's widely regarded as a mediocre game. They aren't both good games that a vocal minority of gamers complain about.

The Order: 1886 was an excellent game and an 8.5/10 in my opinion. What's truly sad is that all the bad reviews mentioned how short the game is, that it's too linear, no multi-player, etc. but yet forgot to mention that it virtually had no bugs or glitches and can be played right out of the case. I guess nowadays if your game has bugs and glitches, you get an extra few points added to the score.

You should check your post for contradictions.

DOWN

Banned
My favorite release so far this year. Sorry Bloodborne and W3, but I put a ton of weight on presentation.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The comparison makes no sense. Bioshock Infinite is a critically acclaimed game that the overwhelming majority of gamers like (it came second place in its year's GOTY). The Order is one of the most poorly rated AAA games in recent years, and it's widely regarded as a mediocre game. They aren't both good games that a vocal minority of gamers complain about.

Poor or rich in this context is subjective. Mediocre is also subjective. Good or bad is also subjective. What isn't subjective is that any group of gamers who complain about any game is always a minority. Them being vocal about it is also not subjective.

KHlover

Banned
I thought generally the response from GAF was positive re: The Order?? I remember at launch feeling like a minority on here when I posted that I thought it was absolute garbage.
Maybe in |OT|. In most other threads people didn't have a nearly as good impression of the game.

Poor or rich in this context is subjective. Mediocre is also subjective. Good or bad is also subjective. What isn't subjective is that any group of gamers who complain about any game is always a minority. Them being vocal about it is also not subjective.

This is the post that started the comparison:

There are several really good games that vocal parts of GAF love to hate. BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider 2013 come to mind.

Order 1886 is another one of these games.

Either it's invalid because Infinite was wildly better received than The Order, or it's completely meaningless because all games have vocal minorities that complain about them.

It's a bad post either way.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, people comparing Bioshock Infinite to the Order...? Really now.

The scene where Booker was ejected towards the sky and arrived at Columbia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any scene the Order can conjure up in the entirety of its length.

Likewise, the walking/exploration alone before in Bioshock Infinite before all hell breaks loose (where you're forced to decide the fate of the interracial couple) was way, way superior than anything the Order attempted to conjure up "atmosphere."

Not to mention all the plasmids and how you can play around with them.......

Man, they're not even comparable, in my eyes anyways. Simply put, Bioshock Infinite is a "higher" game than the Order, both figuratively and literally.

ArcLyte

I felt like I got smashed over the head with a bag of hammers. The Order's ending should never be allowed to happen in anything outside of an episodic game.
Oh please, your extreme over exaggeration is killing me. What exactly was wrong with the ending? Why do people need such absolute finality in stories? Use your imagination a bit.

kinoki

Man, people comparing Bioshock Infinite to the Order...? Really now.

The scene where Booker was ejected towards the sky and arrived at Columbia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any scene the Order can conjure up in the entirety of its length.

Likewise, the walking/exploration alone before in Bioshock Infinite before all hell breaks loose (where you're forced to decide the fate of the interracial couple) was way, way superior than anything the Order attempted to conjure up "atmosphere."

Not to mention all the plasmids and how you can play around with them.......

Man, they're not even comparable, in my eyes anyways. Simply put, Bioshock Infinite is a "higher" game than the Order, both figuratively and literally.

You managed to compare them quite adecuately for something that is in your own words "not even comparable".

The word Compare said:
estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between.

KC Denton

Oh please, your extreme over exaggeration is killing me. What exactly was wrong with the ending? Why do people need such absolute finality in stories? Use your imagination a bit.
Hard to use your imagination when there were so many threads deliberately left hanging for a sequel. The only thing you managed to do was kill an accomplice to the actual bad guy while in the process raising more sequel-bait questions. I'd be more forgiving if there was some actual resolution with openings for more in the future like how Mass Effect did it, but this game was almost entirely setup for a sequel like Too Human and Halo 2 since the developers probably ran out of time.

OCD Guy

Well I'm obviously in a very small minority as I've recently bought witcher 3, bloodborne etc and didn't find them enjoyable, I just couldn't click with them.

Today I decided to purchase the order on the psn, I was naturally a little apprehensive due to the negative feedback, but my logic was that I've bought games with critical acclaim and hated them so....

Anyway I'm really enjoying it, in terms of enjoyment it's defintely one of the best I've played on the ps4. I can defintely see the validity in some people's complaints, but for me those complaints are almost a nice change of pace.

I'm certainly not a fan of big open worlds where you need to explore, do side quests etc, I like a hand holding linear experience, and as most of you know you can't get more hand holding and linear than the order lol.

The fact it looks incredible is a really nice bonus.

LiK

It's a beautiful game with high production values but the gameplay was boring and the story was half-baked. It was a good experience, not a good game.

DOWN

Banned
If this doesn't sweep every best graphics award I'm gonna implode

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

2429434-0506425036-order.gif

Replayed some of it yesterday. Alluring beast.

Finally got around to playing this. Got it off redbox for 3 bucks and I guess it was worth it. Beat it in one sitting and wow what a disappointment. Gunplay was mediocre, stealth was terrible. And those lycan fights are downright embarrassing. The knife fights were decent at best but what the fuck was up with the other fights? I sat in a corner as the lycans bum rushed me one by one and I shot at them and pressed X. What is this? Babies first boss battle? I feel bad for who ever designed those.

It's funny, when you take the game out of The Order it's pretty decent: great graphics, excellent atmosphere and world, and a decent story (when you ignore the ridiculously obvious betrayal). I really do hope they make a sequel where they add multiplayer and good gameplay because I really like the world.

One question:
Are vampires pure bloods and lycans half bloods? So there aren't any werewolves, just hairy vampires?

Top Bottom