• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game characters who gain a level in sexy

G-Fex

So he is too strong is what we are saying? Is that it?

Fine and normal

3E4hFIB.jpg

Cool, that's Chris. Definitive version.

bbWkSht.jpg

Mainstreamed Fanservice Bullshit Chris that now whines about every goddamn thing.

Kinyou

Yeah they did tone it down a bit, although she still has freakish proportions. Also, how can no one have mentioned Lara? FOR SHAME:

Lara+Croft+then+and+now.jpg
Lara doesn't quite fit the thread. She always looked attractive. The only difference is that the graphics got better.

Yopis

I don't know how can people prefer the "Dorky looking" RE:1 Jill (seriously, those shoulder pads...) to RE:3 Jill. I agree the later is a ridiculous outfit when facing a zombie breakout, but nothing tops dat sexyness...

Gotta make it mom approved. Hey somebody post a pic of a cheerleader or womens gymnastics they should be in pants....wait thats real. Honestly I don't think ash from Mass Effect is that bad. Ivy...well hey they did It to the max lol.

strata8

Here's Taki:

Soul Calibur 1:

387px-ScItaki.jpg
Taki02CGISC.jpg

Soul Calibur II:

31668.jpg

Soul Calibur III:

31588.jpg

Soul Calibur IV:

59533.jpg

I think the real reason she was taken out of V was because at the age of 46 her massive rack would be sagging too much. Ivy is immortal or whatever so she defies aging.

Obviously they reached critical mass.

CTLance

Man, this thread is so depressing. I certainly do appreciate some T&A, but damn, if they're shoved in your face at every corner it gets tedious.

ME3 EDI is the right answer.
Yeah, it's quite difficult to top the transformation from ship computer with spherical hologram interface to hypersexualized cameltoe sexdroid.

Seance

Banned
Cortana is an awful example. She was always naked and her proportions have remained the same. It's purely improved fidelity that makes each new iteration of her design more sexy.

CorvoSol

Ubisoft thought Rayman players wanted some T&A in their cartoony platformer.

It did. It so did. Rescuing them curvy faeries was the best part of the game.

Look, man. If Brazil can have Xuxa and say it's for children, they can put a hot bbw forest nymph in a colorful platforming game.

You leave Xuxa outta this! She's the most respected octogenarian sex symbol in the history of the world!

She looked the same

Not even. Aya suffered a terrible back injury between the two games that clearly makes her run different, because in PE2 she doesn't shove her ass out two feet behind her as she runs. In T3B she most definitely does.

Anyway, Porom from FF4:

To:

Not female, but Chris is one of the best examples to me, and roid arms aside the boost they gave him in sex appeal (which I wouldn't mind happening more with male characters) can be noticed at how rapidly he raised in popularity between gay fans.

And it's not only related to better tech since this is how his upgraded original model looks like in the remake:

I prefer the CV version. Am I alone?

CorvoSol

So here's the cast of FF1 when it came out on NES:

(according to Nintendo Power)

And here they are now:

(Dawn of Souls version of WoL and the 3 Mages)

(Dawn of Souls Red Mage, most recent version)

(Dawn of Souls Monk, most recent version)

(Mario Hoops White Mage, most recent version)

(Mario Hoops Ninja, most recent version)

(Mario Hoops Black Mage, most recent version)

(Duodecim Warrior of Light, most recent version)

So really, only White Mage and Warrior have gotten "sexier" but the whole cast has gotten visibly better looking since their Nintendo Power shot.

VARIA

Samus was sexy from day 1.

sCKX8FO.jpg

Metroid 3 ending Samus looks a bit manly so here's her in motion:

j7Mxjyl.gif

Justin Bailey anyone?

gU3GHZf.png

Two questions for folks:

-Does, or was Setsuka's hair color change from jet black (SC3) to blonde (SC4) meant to make her sexier? I never could figure out that design change.

-When the sexiness of a character (not NPC) increases in-game insteasd of just their art, does that turn you off from playing a character if there are other optional characters? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it's possible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyway, Porom from FF4:

To:

Well, you kinda picked the worst possible pics, no? That first one is some unofficial Nintendo Power thing and looks nothing like any official art or rendering for Porom. And the other one shows her as an adult in the After Years, kinda unfair comparison (the child Porom still visible looks fine).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think she's even hotter in the latest one though.

that's the weird thing about the new game to me

yeah Lara's theoretically less sexualized, because it's less overt as far as her clothing goes, but I feel like the new design is still based on trying to be attractive to the male audience, but in a more... I don't know, manipulative way?

Read here.
Art Director said:
"We wanted to make a girl that was somewhat familiar, yet had a special quality about her – something in the way her eyes look and her expression in her face that makes you want to care for her," art director Brian Horton explained to Game Informer.

"Her skin is still bare on the arms and there are going to be rips and tears on her clothes, but it won't be about being revealing. It's a way of saying that through these tough situations, there is a beauty and vulnerability coming through. I think that is sexy in its own way.

. . .

Horton and team decided to "soften up" Lara almost right away, but kept distinguishing features such as the ponytail, brown eyes and M-shaped mouth. Horton also "wanted a little bit of that baby fat" and "roundness of the face" to emphasis Lara's younger age.

I don't know, it just still seems off to me.

LakeEarth

Came here to say Guitar Hero 2 -> Guitar Hero 3. All the girls got skankier. Why? To appeal to teenage boys? Guitar Hero appealed to both genders, across all age groups? Just a dumb move.

CorvoSol

Well, you kinda picked the worst possible pics, no? That first one is some unofficial Nintendo Power thing and looks nothing like any official art or rendering for Porom. And the other one shows her as an adult in the After Years, kinda unfair comparison (the child Porom still visible looks fine).

Yeah, but that's the joke.

CorvoSol

Oh ugh. That's not real. What are those weird little lizard/toad/frog men things. Did they even glance at the portraits from the menu? did they even glance at a factory sealed box? have they even been in a kb toys?

Nintendo Power did an amazing job of convincing people not to play great RPGs.

Xilium

Half the examples in here just seem more like a difference in tech more than anything else. More specifically, the ability for developers to actually recreate their vision in-game.

For some of these in-game before pictures, I would be interested to see what the concept art was.

Anyway, it looks like it's mostly just larger breast and moe-fication (in the case of Japanese games). For the most part, they were always sexy.

Htown said:

yeah Lara's theoretically less sexualized, because it's less overt as far as her clothing goes, but I feel like the new design is still based on trying to be attractive to the male audience, but in a more... I don't know, manipulative way?

I just think she's more realistic and comparable to an attractive women you would see in your everyday life. In a way, she is more obtainable and less of a fantasy figure compared to the old Lara (by this, I simply mean she's not Angelina Jolie levels out of a typical guy's league).

G-Fex

Read here.

I don't know, it just still seems off to me.

I still don't like new Lara's look.

GorillaJu

There are almost no compelling examples in this thread except the Rayman Origins one. Almost everything here is just improving technology bringing a clearer representation of how the character was meant to appear.

For examples like Sophitia, she was heavily sexualized in the first Soul Edge game when considering the standards of that era.

The argument I could see is that girls tend to get prettier - again I think that's just modeling getting better and allowing modelers to do what they had wanted to all along.

antitrop

Came here to say Guitar Hero 2 -> Guitar Hero 3. All the girls got skankier. Why? To appeal to teenage boys? Guitar Hero appealed to both genders, across all age groups? Just a dumb move.
The change in developer from Harmonix to Neversoft is notable.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There are almost no compelling examples in this thread except the Rayman Origins one. Almost everything here is just improving technology bringing a clearer representation of how the character was meant to appear.
Except, you know, with increasingly less clothing and much larger boobs. Come on now.

Top Bottom