• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer July cover story: Halo 5 [Up: Character Shots]

One of the more exciting sounding things about this game besides the awesome sounding squad based commands, of course, is what sounds like will be a lot of very explorable play spaces where you have to pay attention in order to locate all the different paths you can take. And by explorable I don't mean playspaces that are just big for no damn good reason. I just hate that. It sounds like a lot of thought is going into the different areas to give the player (AND HIS TEAM) options, almost like that kind of stuff will be a game all to itself. It's apparently such a big deal that Locke's team has special technology that the Chief's team won't have that will instantly identify these different opportunities and paths for them.

Blue Team will have to do things the old fashioned way by simply just being more observant and mindful of their surroundings. And as you go forward in the game and environments get larger, more of these opportunities and alternate paths will present themselves. I'm just loving how they're making these games more and more to feel like the kind of stuff we read about in the books. The teamwork possibilities that the squad commands open up are exciting to me. I'll now really get to feel like I'm commanding a proper fireteam and will have a proper role in actually enhancing their chance of success and survival. I always hated when I'd be in team situations in other Halo games, and I just knew the people I was fighting alongside had very little to no chance of survival. In order to even guarantee they'd stick around long enough, you had to be downright suicidal, making yourself a target in hopes they could survive long enough to be helpful.

It won't just have to be pre-staged by the dev now if I feel like positioning Linda at a spot that I think would be perfect to have her snipe from. I can send Fred to scout out the left side, meanwhile me and Kelly can go down the center and check things out. If we get pinned down, Linda will likely be firing away, but if there's a specific target I want her to take care of, I am now able to give that command and then confidently push forward because I know Linda will take care of it. Kelly's the fastest among the Spartans so I might use her to sprint across a location to a piece of cover if I suspect a trap may be looming. Depending on where the shots are coming from, the enemy will have revealed their position and then I'll move in with the rest of Blue Team. God this Halo will be exciting.

Ushay

Wait what, Nathan Fillion is in this now?

Yes I missed ODST, just realized he was one of the characters in this.

Very excited about the audio improvements also. That was one of the more awesome improvements in Halo 4. Loved the mjolnir noises that would be made when the chief broke into a full sprint. I liked being able to hear more of the armor and how heavy it was. Sound design was just fantastic all around.

i actually couldn't stand the "crunchyness" of 343's sound design in Halo 4. All of the sounds were mechanical and tinny and ruined the uniqueness of Bungie's effects. Guns, vehicles and lifts were homogenized and it just lost the series' iconic identity. The Halo 5 beta also sounded this way to me with all of its beeps and clinks.

The anniversary games do a much better job of beefing up the "peashooter" effects while keeping their identities.

It's only me or buck look like Nathan Fillion?

xPnWXql.gif

One of the more exciting sounding things about this game besides the awesome sounding squad based commands, of course, is what sounds like will be a lot of very explorable play spaces where you have to pay attention in order to locate all the different paths you can take. And by explorable I don't mean playspaces that are just big for no damn good reason. I just hate that. It sounds like a lot of thought is going into the different areas to give the player (AND HIS TEAM) options, almost like that kind of stuff will be a game all to itself. It's apparently such a big deal that Locke's team has special technology that the Chief's team won't have that will instantly identify these different opportunities and paths for them.

Blue Team will have to do things the old fashioned way by simply just being more observant and mindful of their surroundings. And as you go forward in the game and environments get larger, more of these opportunities and alternate paths will present themselves. I'm just loving how they're making these games more and more to feel like the kind of stuff we read about in the books. The teamwork possibilities that the squad commands open up are exciting to me. I'll now really get to feel like I'm commanding a proper fireteam and will have a proper role in actually enhancing their chance of success and survival. I always hated when I'd be in team situations in other Halo games, and I just knew the people I was fighting alongside had very little to no chance of survival. In order to even guarantee they'd stick around long enough, you had to be downright suicidal, making yourself a target in hopes they could survive long enough to be helpful.

It won't just have to be pre-staged by the dev now if I feel like positioning Linda at a spot that I think would be perfect to have her snipe from. I can send Fred to scout out the left side, meanwhile me and Kelly can go down the center and check things out. If we get pinned down, Linda will likely be firing away, but if there's a specific target I want her to take care of, I am now able to give that command and then confidently push forward because I know Linda will take care of it. Kelly's the fastest among the Spartans so I might use her to sprint across a location to a piece of cover if I suspect a trap may be looming. Depending on where the shots are coming from, the enemy will have revealed their position and then I'll move in with the rest of Blue Team. God this Halo will be exciting.

Now imagine a Blue Team mission to use Osiris' technological strength against them e.g. Blue Team gather this enemy team intel then set an ambush on the best route selection Osiris team will use.

i actually couldn't stand the "crunchyness" of 343's sound design in Halo 4. All of the sounds were mechanical and tinny and ruined the uniqueness of Bungie's effects. Guns, vehicles and lifts were homogenized and it just lost the series' iconic identity. The Halo 5 beta also sounded this way to me with all of its beeps and clinks.

The anniversary games do a much better job of beefing up the "peashooter" effects while keeping their identities.

Definitely have to disagree here. Sound design was a major step up in Halo 4. The weapons sounds of the chief's movements, the various sounds of whatever environment you were in, it all represented a series best for me.

Now imagine a Blue Team mission to use Osiris' technological strength against them e.g. Blue Team gather this enemy team intel then set an ambush on the best route selection Osiris team will use.

I can totally see this happening. Another thing that worries me about what was said in gameinformer is that there's a strong possibility members of blue team may end up dying. I reread the part about them highlighting how the chief is coping with the loss of cortana, but it also sounded like they wanted to further test the chief in that regard and show us how he responds when faced with a situation where even more people he cares about are dying around him. I mean, I would seriously hope neither Linda or Kelly die, and the same goes for Fred. For people that read First Strike, Linda already survived a scary, near death experience, and she was so amazingly badass in that book. It really did wonders to build up her character and showcase just how truly dangerous she was. In fact, I think it was even suggested that she may be the only thing in the world the Chief would ever fear going up against. It would suck if she somehow didn't end up making it out of this game. And that was a book where they really dove a bit more into the chief and how he felt about possibly losing her. Due to that particular experience, I can see that being something they want to explore in this game. Hell, I'd love to see that legendary ricochet sniping she did in the books on that Covenant ship to conceal her location somehow come into play in one of the cutscenes (or during actual gameplay) in this game.

Doubtful, the models we've been shown are in game and will probably be used in cutscenes. Halo 4's cutscenes were real time on the 360 so I think we can expect some pretty incredible stuff with H5.

Just looked up the Halo 4 cutscenes on Youtube.
They still look fantastic.

Toxi

Banned
Ugh, 343 is making it really hard for me to avoid Halo 5. I loved Republic Commando, and if the fireteams have anywhere near the fun dialogue of Scorch and Sev, they''ll be a blast. Love seeing Blue Team back at John's side.

Also, BUCK! I wasn't a huge ODST fan, but I remember Buck and am glad to see his familiar face.

One thing that does bug me is that there's not enough visual difference between the Spartan IIs and IVs. They should have exaggerated the blockiness of the Spartan II armor and the sleekness of the Spartan IV armor to hammer in the difference in technology and time.
So i assume this is the official face of Halo without his iconic helmet?
Nah, the chief is a redhead and pale as a ghost. I wonder if they'll actually do a full face reveal at the end to build on what Halo 4 showed; I think it's frankly time.

yooooo Buck. where's the Rookie at?

lol you won't like that answer

I laughed too

Curiously, I was wondering the same thing since Buck was in Reach but Rookie wasn't the the 6th of Noble six.

Umm, heavy major spoilers for the new Halo book so read at your own risk.

The Rookie is killed

I'm so sorry.

Major Spoilers

Dead..........

New Blood spoilers
Lying in a grave

fml

I can totally see this happening. Another thing that worries me about what was said in gameinformer is that there's a strong possibility members of blue team may end up dying. I reread the part about them highlighting how the chief is coping with the loss of cortana, but it also sounded like they wanted to further test the chief in that regard and show us how he responds when faced with a situation where even more people he cares about are dying around him. I mean, I would seriously hope neither Linda or Kelly die, and the same goes for Fred. For people that read First Strike, Linda already survived a scary, near death experience, and she was so amazingly badass in that book. It really did wonders to build up her character and showcase just how truly dangerous she was. In fact, I think it was even suggested that she may be the only thing in the world the Chief would ever fear going up against. It would suck if she somehow didn't end up making it out of this game. And that was a book where they really dove a bit more into the chief and how he felt about possibly losing her. Due to that particular experience, I can see that being something they want to explore in this game. Hell, I'd love to see that legendary ricochet sniping she did in the books on that Covenant ship to conceal her location somehow come into play in one of the cutscenes (or during actual gameplay) in this game.

I'd love to see flashback tutorials at the start from the books when the Spartans first received their MJOLNIR.

Also would love to see something like Linda's sniping of the Banshees to save John's hide.

There are so many awesome Blue Team moments from the books.

solis74

7KIXjLg.jpg

:O

From the write up.

After getting the run-down, we were shown a brief campaign teaser. It moved so fast it was hard to point anything out. That being said, what my eyes feasted upon was jaw dropping: massive enemies, space battles, and more. I saw Hunters forming from worms (Lekgolo) on the ground, Banshees flying past a space station, and a flying Forerunner vehicle shooting at a massive covenant station (it almost looked like a mining rig). The scale was unlike anything we’ve seen in Halo, specifically the giant vehicle scene. There were vehicles flying around, Covenant shooting plasma through the air, and explosions illuminating the landscape. It was hard not to get excited. We watched it twice. I am very certain that the space banshee scene was a playable experience. Halo 5: Space Battles. Colour me hyped.

http://www.readyuplive.com/2015/06/my-halo-5-guardians-experience/

All over my face!!! :D

Nah, the chief is a redhead and pale as a ghost. I wonder if they'll actually do a full face reveal at the end to build on what Halo 4 showed; I think it's frankly time.
I agree, i know it'll probably be considered sacrilegious by most people in the Halo community, but the faceless,silent protagonist doesn't really have a place in gaming anymore, it's a relic of an age where game writing and graphics weren't as strong as that ate now.

Plus, we've already kind of seen it, someone said that the face model they used in the epilogue was based off his voice actor, Steve Downes.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They said Halo 5 will be a story on its own so people who have never played previous games will still be able to enjoy this one. Thats pretty awesome.

Toa TAK

Banned
They said Halo 5 will be a story on its own so people who have never played previous games will still be able to enjoy this one. Thats pretty awesome.

That's fantastic. I love digging deep into the books and overall lore, but this is great for casual fans and the like.

Top Bottom