• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

2thepoint

Wow, so soon.

Very excited. Wonder if this event will still allow room for Paris Games Week conference?

More likely PGW is still on as its a Euro centric conference.

Is that true? Core gaming sites treat Nintendo as an afterthought, I'd actually say Neo would get more coverage even if they were announced on the same day. If anything its a move to stamp out whatever little attention NX will get.

Also if Nintendo misses TGS season for the NX reveal they are idiots, which wouldn't be surprising.
It's still a completely new console with supposedly multiple new game announcements.

Neo will be just updates on old news.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is true and what I was teasing when I was hinting Sony was in a race to announce first before Nintendo

Good.
John, maybe you got hints about Nintendo's event as well, then?

Please, be before TGS, be before TGS...

Sandfox

Is that true? Core gaming sites treat Nintendo as an afterthought, I'd actually say Neo would get more coverage even if they were announced on the same day. If anything its a move to stamp out whatever little attention NX will get.

Also if Nintendo misses TGS season for the NX reveal they are idiots, which wouldn't be surprising.

In terms of clicks I would imagine that a new Nintendo device and whatever games come with that would draw more attention from what is essentially an enhanced PS4.

Coxy100

Banned
Do core gaming websites even matter that much anymore?

I'm sure both Sony and Nintendo care more about activity on social media and Youtube.
Of course they do - they still get plenty of hits and are always being linked on here for example - they still have a part to play

goonergaz

Because a few years ago Sony released a console 33% more powerful than Microsoft for $100 cheaper.

Sony has some of the best hardware engineers in the business.

Interesting logic, I mean, MS removed the Kinect and then it wasn't $100...

Also consider the PS4 is $350 so you're expecting Sony to release 2.5x the power for just $50 more.

Xbox One S is $299

For the 500gb, you think Sony will release a premium console with 500gb? it will be a min 1tb so the XBS is $350 and Sony still have the more powerful PS4 which will likely drop to $300.

wapplew

Interesting logic, I mean, MS removed the Kinect and then it wasn't $100...

Also consider the PS4 is $350 so you're expecting Sony to release 2.5x the power for just $50 more.

For the 500gb, you think Sony will release a premium console with 500gb? it will be a min 1tb so the XBS is $350 and Sony still have the more powerful PS4 which will likely drop to $300.

Yup, Sony will add some extra here and there to justify a premium console. maybe 1TB SSHD, at $449, 2TB SSHD at $499.

samar11

Nintendo unveiling the NX is much bigger news for core gaming sites, after years of anticipation. The goal is top slots in media coverage, so you want to position yourself to maximize that for the most exposure

I still dont get it. Ok they will get all the coverage when they announce the Neo before NX, but then when NX gets announced wouldnt they get all the coverage?

Melchiah

So this is legit but the nx one isn't ? I guess that only bad nintendo rumours are legit in gaf lol

It's already been mentioned by a more reliable source as well. Do you really think, that the NX handheld hybrid would be more powerful than Neo? I'd be surprised, if it's going to be more powerful than the current systems.

PS4k is a good name, but it's a one and done name that's nowhere near as effective with future iterations like a hypothetical PS5k or PS6k.

It ideally needs to be a name that can carried over generations with just adding a number

d9b

Banned
PS4k is a good name, but it's a one and done name that's nowhere near as effective with future iterations like a hypothetical PS5k or PS6k.

It ideally needs to be a name that can carried over generations with just adding a number

PS4Bro.

(PS5Bro)
(PS6Bro)
(etc)

pottuvoi

Banned
It's not the same indeed. And using cherckerboard rendering isn't the same either since you're losing in quality. It's not 4k, that's all. If it was that easy, everyone would just use that. It's not "more efficient", it's not native and does a good job to hide it.
It's not native, but it certainly can be better than 1080p with reasonable cost.
Things like AA with gaussian resolve can look really good in 4k, even if shading resolution is not higher than 1080p. (Which is pretty close to the maximum resolution of stable moving detail in 4k.)

It will be interesting to see all the different methods developers will implement, there is a lot to gain in terms of overall quality of the image.

It's not native, but it certainly can be better than 1080p with reasonable cost.
Things like AA with gaussian resolve can look really good in 4k, even if shading resolution is not higher than 1080p. (Which is pretty close to the maximum resolution of stable moving detail in 4k.)

It will be interesting to see all the different methods developers will implement, there is a lot to gain in terms of overall quality of the image.

Of course it can be better than 1080p. But the point here was to discuss whenever its native or not

Planet

@doemaaan: how dare you, that is outright sensible!? This kind of behavior does not fit in a games forum, delete your account now! Otherwise, I fear only either a "Shut up and take my money!" or a "This is the stupidest thing any console maker has ever done!" could start remediation process for you.

Yup, Sony will add some extra here and there to justify a premium console. maybe 1TB SSHD, at $449, 2TB SSHD at $499.

i think they should go the opposite direction and ship with a barebones HDD and hammer home the idea of the user being able to upgrade it themselves. it would keep the cost nice and low.

Midas

i think they should go the opposite direction and ship with a barebones HDD and hammer home the idea of the user being able to upgrade it themselves. it would keep the cost nice and low.

I would buy a 2 TB SKU of Neo if they introduced one. If there's only a 500 GB one, I'll just buy a 2 TB HDD and replace it.

Zalman

I can see why Sony would rush the event and announce before Nintendo. Neo is just a simple upgrade to the PS4 while NX is something completely different. It's going to get much more media coverage because of that. Plus I bet Nintendo has a ton of game announcements as well, whereas I believe the Neo event will be more focused on its technical abilities. I could be wrong, of course.

SenkiDala

PS4K is the name they should go with.

Well no, it would be misleading since most of games won't be at 4K. You would expect from a machine with "4K" in it's name to have every games in 4K.

Maybe PS4+ or something like that but then it could make people think that you need a PS+ subscribtion to use it...

Honestly "PS4 Neo" wouldn't be that bad since Neo also means "new".

N.Domixis

Banned
PSForce Kin
PSMMMM
PSIV
PS4
PSM Playstation More
PS4 Playstation Super 4
PS4E PlayStation Enhanced
PSn PlayStation neo ( PSN is dead now)
PS4x PlayStation 4 X10Dead

It's probably one of these.

For all intents and purposes, the NX reveal and Neo reveal are not likely to be on the same footing at the end of it.

Sony will still hold a European event sometime this year, and there'll also be a TGS event. And then there'll also be PSX. Sony will be splitting its game announcements across 3 different events, whereas this Neo event is presumably largely going to show enhancements of games that are already announced, maybe 1-2 new stuff tops, but it's not likely to be some major PS Meeting style "boom new console boom 5 new game announcements" event.

On the other hand, with this being the official unveiling of NX, with a launch window of March, anything short of a new platform announcement with hardware reveal + a slate of launch/launch window game announcements is unbecoming.

NX will naturally be a far bigger event because Nintendo will centralise its focus, both HW and games, whereas this Neo event is seemingly HW-focused, whereas other events will talk games.

onQ123

It's not the same indeed. And using cherckerboard rendering isn't the same either since you're losing in quality. It's not 4k, that's all. If it was that easy, everyone would just use that. It's not "more efficient", it's not native and does a good job to hide it.

How is rendering in 4K with less power not more efficient?

PS4 Turbo

PS4 Ozone
PS4 2: Electric Boogaloo

breakin.gif

RPGamer92

Banned
I'm glad this is happening soon since I sold my current PS4 to Gamestop over the weekend for $200 cash. Will get a Neo when it comes out day 1!

Show me a ffxv neo enhanced mode with some quite noticeable improvements and il be there day one. Although this will be at the cost of my psvr preorder.

Top Bottom