• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

pdnyc

Neo Member
If I had to guess I'd say most will be local but it probably has online leaderboards for games.

well here's hoping they have online multiplayer for those of us who don't know many gamers. The games look fun, but all seem to require more than one player.

Desert World:
NeKaH.jpg

Layer Cake Desert:
U5uG0.jpg
Hey at least change the life, score and coins number.

New Super Mario World sounds awesome. Cake world? That has potential.

Nintendo Land is sounding more and more awesome. Both will be day one for me.

totowhoa

Banned
well here's hoping they have online multiplayer for those of us who don't know many gamers. The games look fun, but all seem to require more than one player.

I liked NSMBW much more with one player. I thought it was OK with two players, but it seemed to be enough of a downgrade that I never bothered with 3 or 4 players. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm just a lot better at the platformer genre than most of my friends, and it's just not much fun for me ... I never really learned how to enjoy the game while playing with somebody at another skill level like some people did. I don't have this problem with most other genres... it just didn't work with platformers for me.

But I guess this all besides the point: I agree, online mode would be cool, but I'm not expecting it. If the Wii U ever takes off like the Wii did and my parents get suckered into buying one, at least I could convince them to play with me online since we don't live in the city. That would be fun for more casual games, especially with voice chat and such. I enjoyed the few times we played in person a lot too. It's too bad Nintendo will probably continue to cater to the nuclear family, but here's to hoping.

Edit: thought you were talking about NSMBU

hachi

Banned
Each of those 3D games added new mechanics in Mario's arsenal of jumps, attacks, and flips. And when Mario has new moves, this greatly affects the level design.

If you put FLUDD Mario into Galaxy, he'd break the game. Same with Galaxy Mario into 64. And the levels in 64 are quite different from Galaxy.

So it's not even about visuals. It's about "pure gameplay." The NSMB series isn't really defensible on the grounds of pure gameplay because it's not changing anything up at all. A level in NSMB2 could easily have been in NSMB:Wii, and I wouldn't know the difference. Everything else (except a few suits) plays the same.

I can't help but think that the "new" world map in NSMB:Zzzz is every bit the aesthetic window dressing that a new art style would be. Great, so you can play the levels in a new order. Where's the fresh gameplay? It's the same butt-stomp and triple jump mechanics. The same physics. It plays the same.

What? Not at all. The level design is quite diferent in the two. The Wii game openly structures most of its levels around the benefits of multiplayer, while the 3ds entry is a streamlined affair built on coin sequences and tricky bonuses. I could tell apart a segment from a level of either quite immediately even if it didn't reveal any of the unique items or features in the latter.

RagnarokX

What? Not at all. The level design is quite diferent in the two. The Wii game openly structures most of its levels around the benefits of multiplayer, while the 3ds entry is a streamlined affair built on coin sequences and tricky bonuses. I could tell apart a segment from a level of either quite immediately even if it didn't reveal any of the unique items or features in the latter.
NSMBWii levels are built more like crosses between SMB3 and SMW while NSMB2 feels more tuned towards SMB3.

NSMBWii also had better new ideas like the bone coaster.

I was over at a friends house today and we played this PS move game called Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest. It reminded me alot of Zelda Battle Quest from nintendo land and honestly, if battle quest plays anything like deadmund's quest, I'm sold on nintendoland from that mini game alone

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO,
The new Super Mario U sounds like a real sequel to Mario World that I have been waiting for.

BUT... its going to have that damn New Super Mario"bawp, bawp" SHIT music.

I fear that I will be unable to stomach my way through this.
I really hope they wake up and change the god damned music. How long can they ride the exact same music? Its just getting ridiculous.

While I haven't played NSMB2, these two things certainly aren't mutually exclusive. And if NSMB2 was lackluster in regard to exploration, hopefully the execution is improved in this version. The information above is touting non-gameplay features for the most part, all of which sound great. Platforming is certainly more fun than exploration, but exploration enhances the overall package. I think everybody here wants a solid platformer that improves upon NSMBW and 3DL (edit: and NSMB2, as I said I didn't play it), each of which were marred by a more simplistic early game when it came to the platforming.

Exploration just shouldn't come at the expense of platforming, which happened with SMW.

hatchx

Banned
Yeah, i know what this is*: probably a kick ass minigame, something that could be made in a full game. Amazing, fun and innovative. But just a minigame.

And you´re left thinking "whoa! this is great! I bet that for now on the big games will copy this gameplay and it will be incredible!!!"

And then... nothing.

*i dont know what this is. im just betting because, obviously, we saw the same thing happening on the wii

I would have paid good money for:

Wii Golf
Wii Tennis
Wii Bowling
Wii Archery

These games could have been 19.99 on the shop channel and just fleshed out ever so slightly....and made trucks off money.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just to be clear, these are the Nintendo Land games we've seen/heard about so far, right?

-Luigi's Mansion
-Donkey Kong
-Animal Crossing
-Nazo no Murasamejou/Takamura's Castle
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Balloon Fight
-F-Zero (?)

What's still missing?

Drago

Just to be clear, these are the Nintendo Land games we've seen/heard about so far, right?

-Luigi's Mansion
-Donkey Kong
-Animal Crossing
-Nazo no Murasamejou/Takamura's Castle
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Balloon Fight
-F-Zero (?)

What's still missing?

nintendo_land_attractions.jpg

Game & Watch, Yoshi, Pikmin, Mario

edit: shit daaamit

@MUWANdo

Banned
Right, thanks.

Have we seen/heard anything about G&W yet, or am I imagining things? I seem to recall reading that the player with the tablet controls the octopus while the others play as the divers.

Right, thanks.

Have we seen/heard anything about G&W yet, or am I imagining things? I seem to recall reading that the player with the tablet controls the octopus while the others play as the divers.
I don't believe we've heard or seen anything about the aforementioned four games.

UrbanRats

The info sound pretty great, tbh.
My problem with the NSMB games though is with the controls.

I've only played the Wii one, but since i played it just after having spent several days on Super Meat Boy, i remember being extremely pissed off by the controls, had to somewhat wrestle with them, there was something unresponsive about them, but i haven't played it in a while, so it might've been just the juxtaposition with MeatBoy that, in this sense, is as tight as it gets.

Neiteio

NSMBU is such an odd case.

Prior to NSMBU, none of the "New" titles excited me... At most, I had fun in multiplayer with the Wii one and respected its level design, but it didn't capture my imagination... But with NSMBU, I was in love literally from the first glimpse in the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct.

Those slanty mountains. That acorn tree. That Van Gogh. Those colors. The very subtle shading and shadows they added. It's so many details adding up. And it's in HD, thank goodness.

Wiz

Not that I don't want the game but I must ask, is it just because of the branching paths and world map confirmation?

Super Mario World really was that good wasn't it?

It's not just that, but the game seems a lot more ambitious overall. You can really tell with every new video/screenshot/info we get. The dev team is really trying to raise the bar with this one.

And a spiritual successor to SMW is long overdue I'd say.

Top Bottom