• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are far from perfect that you really enjoyed

Terminator resistance, it reminded me alot like of OG metro 2033 before redux, also OG metro 2033, shooting was ass but the story and atmosphere was always topnotch
For me, Terminator Resistance was a real sequel to the Terminator 1-2 movies, I was just blown away by how good the game was.
+Amazing atmosphere that makes you feel like you are playing your part in the Terminator films. The last battle was epic.
+Rewarding exploration and fun combat. It takes time to upgrade your character and laser weapons to the point where you can take out T-800s with ease, but it's worth it.
+The T-800s in this game are very tough and can be scary exactly like the first terminator film.
-Graphics isnt the worst because it's UE4 after all, but there are imperfections like blury textures and poor facial animation.
Overall it was easily 9/10 from me.

Shut0wen

For me, Terminator Resistance was a real sequel to the Terminator 1-2 movies, I was just blown away by how good the game was.
+Amazing atmosphere that makes you feel like you are playing your part in the Terminator films. The last battle was epic.
+Rewarding exploration and fun combat. It takes time to upgrade your character and laser weapons to the point where you can take out T-800s with ease, but it's worth it.
+The T-800s in this game are very tough and can be scary exactly like the first terminator film.
-Graphics isnt the worst because it's UE4 after all, but there are imperfections like blury textures and poor facial animation.
Definitely if you can get past the urojank its an incredible game and like you said its incredibly faithful, im glad the team has improved massively with robocop because rambo was an awful game lmao

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Rush 2 on the N64, specifically the stunt track. I’ve probably put like 1000 hours into that game in my lifetime.

K8tfXei.jpg

All Dontnod games even the ultra woke Tell Me Why.
All Ninja Theory games.

Those two consistently made games with more heart than the cynical AAA machine that I can overlook most flaws.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Red Faction: Armageddon and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst immediately come to mind.

ME:C especially didn't deserve the lower scores it got.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
FF XV is a good example. That game is so flawed but I ended loving it a lot.

Obviously forspoken !!! (don't worry, I am tired of mentioning this game too. I will end soon, I promise :p )
1pwXpR6.jpg

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Assassins Creed Black Flag
Uncharted 1
Legend of Legaia
Borderlands 3
Days Gone
Syphon Filter
Tenchu
True Crime: LA
Def Jam NY

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Dis

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Drakengard 3.
derdd28-c59c708c-d733-4352-90f4-04cbcadc1c77.png

I'm the only person who can enjoy this game.

Last edited:

Aion002

Exo Primal:

It's a flawed game that has some really frustrating things.... But it's also quite fun and addictive for me.

Wo Long:

In many ways a huge downgrade from Nioh 1 and 2, yet the combat is top notch and entertaining.

MGSV:

Incomplete and a mess... However, the gameplay is just perfect.

HercRaato

I would have to say Trails of series. All of them. They are my comfort games when I don't know what else to play. The world building, story telling and music just soothes me.

Johnny2Bad

Godfather 2 fits well here. The graphics were downright shit, it was packed with glitches and the cars handled like 4 wheel turds. There was some good music but there could have been a lot more and the length of the game was far too short.

However, I got really addicted to that game. I liked the strategy of choosing your gang members based on their attributes building up your crew accordingly. The strategy of which businesses to take first and how to defend them was also a lot of fun.

I wish there would be a remake only done well and made a lot longer.

BlackTron

StarCraft 2. Despite letting me down in so many ways from the Brood War fandom days, I kept playing it as recently as last week.

It's like the shiny graphics easy to play version for washed up players who don't care anymore and just want to be entertained for 20 minutes.

I just play a custom game and a pretend the new story never happened.

I find that the overall game-design is very close to Recore in Sonic Frontiers. But Recore is a much better game. It is 4K and 60fps as well now.
I loved Recore at times it's was a wonderful blend of games like Tomb Raider and Metroid , but the choice of Unity basically just killed it performance wise on the XBox One and the game difficultly needed a bit more work

omegasc

Lots of those Digital Pictures FMV games on the Sega CD and 3DO. Special mention to Sewer Shark and Tomcat Alley.
Some might say "far from perfect" is a big compliment for those. I had lots of fun!

IAmRei

final-fantasy-xv-button-2016jpg-19b146.jpg

I was thinking about the fact that even if i could see so many flaws in a game like Final Fantasy XV, i really enjoyed the entire experience from going through all the things released about that world / characters: anime, movie, the game (with all the updates released, not the day one version), all DLCs with all characters, etc.

You can still feel a much bigger game trying to show up, but it simply fails at doing so. Going through cities that are 100% made...but with plenty of places you never visit was frustrating...the story is fragmented and missing a lot of pieces. But still, in the end i ended up spending like 70 hours with it, and even got the Platinum, lol. There's something about it i really enjoyed, from the road trips, to the team that's with us every step of the way, etc. The group is honestly great and by the end of the game i was attached to the characters tbh.

I'd much rather play this again than plenty of +90 metacritic games tbh.

What about you?

same here, i like FF XV and spent many hours on it. for me.
i'm also like FF XVI as well, despite many flaws, but still good for me, if not, one of the best this year for me
there are lot of cool games but sadly not many like it.

Roberts

Objectively 6/10 games that I liked better than majority of players.

Redfall
Crackdown 3 (tbh, I think it is a great game not not just 6/10)
Mass Effect: Andromeda
We Happy Few
Steelrising
Atomic Heart
Deliver Us to Moon (and Mars)
Breathedge
Mafia 3
Trek to Yomi
Shadow Warrior 1
Serious Sam 4

Probably tons more but can't remember any at the moment.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Terminator resistance, it reminded me alot like of OG metro 2033 before redux, also OG metro 2033, shooting was ass but the story and atmosphere was always topnotch
I played OG Metro 2033 once and have no recollection, but have played Redux many times. I am tempted to checkout the OG version again.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm definitely going to pick this up soon.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Splinter Cell Conviction

I think it's actually one of the best in the series. Invented marking enemies, copied in many games. The quick shot is great. The cover system remains the best cover system I've ever used in a game, with slick animations to run from cover to cover. Blacklist is the better game but it's just building on everything innovated in Conviction. And I like the interrogation stuff. 24 is one of my favorite series of all time, and this game was trying to emulate that. They were on the right track but people were too conservative with the name "Splinter Cell" and their negativity ended up killing the whole series.

I really liked the parkour in Assassin's Creed: Unity and think the game still looks stunning today. It's lighting is incredible considering when it came out.

Assassin%27s_Creed_Unity_cover.jpg

Splinter Cell Conviction

I think it's actually one of the best in the series. Invented marking enemies, copied in many games. The quick shot is great. The cover system remains the best cover system I've ever used in a game, with slick animations to run from cover to cover. Blacklist is the better game but it's just building on everything innovated in Conviction. And I like the interrogation stuff. 24 is one of my favorite series of all time, and this game was trying to emulate that. They were on the right track but people were too conservative with the name "Splinter Cell" and their negativity ended up killing the whole series.

I didn't like it more than Chaos Theory, but I thought it was an awesome game and it ended up being my second favorite in the series. It was the absolute best 24 video-game not called 24. And I say that as a passive fan of 24 at best, having watched only maybe the first 3 seasons(which I enjoyed). Conviction was very cool, though I'll say I was interested in what they originally pitched for Conviction at the time too and couldn't help but wonder if that would have been more like Chaos Theory. I spent a lot of time on the 360 version though. I should replay it again on PC.

I'm playing Mafia 3 at the moment, and this game is a real hidden gem for me. I can understand critics, because the game is clearly broken, for example, you cannot start or finish certain missions (restarting the game and trying again helps most of the time). I feel that developers never finished this game even once, because you just cant ingore obvious problems this game has if you just play it. Despite its flaws, I still like mafia 3 simply because the world in this game is extremely detailed and beautiful, so playing this game is like being transported back to the 60s in a time capsule.

+Awesome soundtrack (only the GTA VC soundtrack can match it).
+An amazing story.
+Fun combat and stealth (enemy AI isnt good though, you can kill almost everyone and they still walk like nothing happened :p)
+Car driving in this game is very satisfying.

It took me many hours before I mastered car driving in this game, but once I did it it was a pure joy to drive in this game (with realistic driving settings). The correct use of the handbrake and brakes is key, and once you master it you can cut corners like in bullitt film (or Fast & Furious tokyo drift). I just wish the missions in this game were more varied (like in GTA games). Also, a good crafting mechanic and resource menagement would change this game completely, as it would give the player a motivation to explore this beautiful world and indoor locations. IMO the developers who created the Mafia 3 map / graphics have done a fantastic job, but the game director for some strange reason ruined their efforts by making this game so shallow. Mafia 3 had the potential to not only compete with GTA5, but to surpass it. It's still fun game, but not as good as it could be.

-Unacceptable game-breaking bugs.
-Repetitive "missions".
-Lack of good ideas to make player more invested into exploration.
-TAA in this game is just horrible, it makes everthing blurry.

"Reshade" helps a lot in this game. Not only does it help with 60Hz lock and input lag (you need to change the ForceDefaultRefreshRate line in reshade.ini to "1"), but it also fixes blurry image without destroying the game's color grading and artistic intent. I recommend to use CAS and lumasharpening filters at the same time, because only then you can get sharp edges without artificial look (ringing).
I'll say I really remember the shotgun being really standout and fun to use. The combat in general worked pretty well for the game and it was an improvement over 2.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
Kane & Lynch 2

Yes it was super short - finished it in one sitting, but it was also like 2 bucks or something on steam when I got it.

I thought the atmosphere was well executed. I'm clearly the only person on the planet who thought the video/documentary effect was neat.

It was a fun one-night fling and I was perfectly satisfied with my purchase.

And I've had absolutely no desire to revisit it since.

Topher

Gold Member
Another vote for Mass Effect Andromeda. Played it months after release so didn't have all the bugs that were there at launch. The poster child game for justifying game delays, that one.

Also, Mad Max, Vampyr, Greedfall and pretty much every Assassin's Creed ever made.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't like it more than Chaos Theory, but I thought it was an awesome game and it ended up being my second favorite in the series. It was the absolute best 24 video-game not called 24. And I say that as a passive fan of 24 at best, having watched only maybe the first 3 seasons(which I enjoyed). Conviction was very cool, though I'll say I was interested in what they originally pitched for Conviction at the time too and couldn't help but wonder if that would have been more like Chaos Theory. I spent a lot of time on the 360 version though. I should replay it again on PC.
You've got to run through all of 24 sometime. I rewatched it last year and it still holds up. It just keeps getting better. 5 and 8 are my favorite seasons.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Another vote for Mass Effect Andromeda. Played it months after release so didn't have all the bugs that were there at launch. The poster child game for justifying game delays, that one.

Also, Mad Max, Vampyr, Greedfall and pretty much every Assassin's Creed ever made.
Is Greedfall worth $11 for the deluxe edition?

Koenigssee

Everytime a thread like this comes up i'd just have to mention Killer7.

Unique in every facets.

Also, Enter The Matrix. However short i enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I played OG Metro 2033 once and have no recollection, but have played Redux many times. I am tempted to checkout the OG version again.
Redux pretty much fixed the game, og metro had no stealth because it was that bad, shooter was pretty eurojank though the og metro did give you way less ammo though, pretty sure currency were bullets that did more damage

soulbait

I am glad I have seen Mafia 3 mentioned on here a few times. I really enjoyed the game even though it had its flaws. Not playing it straight through helps IMO, so you do not get burned out on some of the repetitiveness.

The presentation of the game as a documentary format is great, the setting and soundtrack is amazing, and some of the bosses are really fun to encounter.

SHA

Gtav, being a murderer, a thief to enjoy content is far from perfect, it just lower lifes standard in my pov.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alone in the Dark: Inferno
Silent Hill: Homecoming
TRAG (Hard Edge)
Vampire Hunter D
White Knight Chronicles

There's so many good games out there that were written off and are kind of lost to time.

Chastten

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII comes to mind. The first 20 hours took me 3 months to get through, but once I reached Gran Pulse I spent like 80 hours in 2 weeks just doing all the hunting quests, achievements, etc.

I fully understand and agree with all the criticism this game gets, but I absolutely loved running around Gran Pulse and killing stuff. Also, the music in the game is great.

Top Bottom