• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Visual Novel/Dating Sim elements?

cj_iwakura

You should still buy it even if it's starring characters that can't possibly live up to the iconic Sakura and Ichiro duo, and doesn't have one of the greatest opening themes of all time that's been forever ingrained into JP game culture. I ain't saying to avoid it completely, just letting people who bought it/thinking about buying it that there's even better that they're missing.
Yeah, completely untranslated. NIS did a stellar job translating V, and it was the most sensible move by far, so they deserve more credit than they got.

Khort

* Sakura Wars (played 3+4 with a translation on paper. Got the 5 and started enjoying it until with PS3 fat died :()
* Yakuza series (hostess club for the dating part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKYUON7wSY )
* Persona 3 / 4 (never played the two first)
* Tears of tiara 2
A little bit:
* Ar No surge
* Sword Art Online

edit: added link for yakuza since my neighbour below seems to not understand :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Growlanser series. The PSP one had more love interests than any other game I've played.

Good choice. Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP) and Growlanser Generations (PS2) are both excellent, and Generations is actually two games in one. I wouldn't recommend Growlanser: Heritage of War (PS2) as one's first introduction to the series. It's not nearly as good as the others.

Avalon Code lets you romance some spirits and humans, IIRC. I never finished the game completely, but I'm pretty sure the romance was on the light side, yet persists throughout the game. You can play as either gender.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a lot of games like this for girls. If anyone knows any, please share. :)

Francis-and-Peach2.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
t1VyRnJ.jpg

Azure Dreams

Yeah, I remember being excited about this because this was one of the first games with dating sim elements to get western release. Too bad it turned out to be a roguelike, which I soon discovered I don't particularly care for.

Raggie

I have to say I agree with the OP. One major thing I so much enjoy in Bioware games and the Persona series is how it feels like you slowly get to know other characters and grow all sorts of personal connections with them, be it romantic, friendship or even rivalry. I end up building my party out of characters I like, instead of characters who are best in battle. I have to take this one because he's my sweetheart, and her because she's my BFF, and that one because he's got this funny antagonistic relationship with another character and it's amusing to follow their exchanges. I wish more RPGs would treat your party members as more than mules to carry around all your stuff.

Top Bottom