• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm thinking about what the smartphone Metal Gear will be like and it'll probably be pretty cool! You can make it grid based, sort of like Hitman Go, but instead of a premium product they may go with an energy thing so missions and being spotted will drain your lifebar (rations restore it but cost extra). Collecting cards of MGS characters, weapons, and vehicles and using them AC!D style will be a hoot too, and they can have special monthly events so you have a chance at "capturing" special characters like Tuxedo Snake or Pliskin with their own unique attributes.

They'll probably be able to pump it out pretty quick, too, what with Kojima not being able to stop it. A win-win situation all around.

You truly have a gift.

Oh shit I just realised how lifeless the E3 trailer is going to be with Kojima not being there. I can't believe he isn't allowed to promote the game. Fuck off Konami with that shit.

This is sad, but MGS5 caps off the MGS saga anyway. There's really nothing left to cover at this point unless you want a remake of MG1/2, which is not really necessary for the whole story loop to be complicated. It kinda feels right.

Brofield

Stripping his name off the boxart, I guess that means there's no going back.

I agree this whole week is a roller coaster between Nintendo going mobile, this, and EA announcing the curtains are rising on Battlefront.

NINTENDO BUY EVERYTHING

I really hope Silent Hills doesn't end up going to shit now...

Boke1879

I'm starting to think that the whole Phantom Pain revenge plot is a metaphor to the Konami struggle.

Kojima has stated in various blogs and has used MGS as a symbolic metaphor for his struggles with management and his life.

This is really interesting stuff

Akainu

Does Konami even makes games anymore beside that soccer one? (Do they still even make that?) I hope Kojima and crew land on their feet.

And not with platinum they are better than that.

Kama_1082

Banned
So when do y'all think we'll read about the new studio, accompanied on its website by a countdown that will lead to a Kickstarter page for a not-Metal Gear or a not-Snatcher, that'll eventually get picked up and published by idk Ubisoft or Microsoft or somebody
Please no Kickstarter. I refuse to fund those things.

MayMay

Banned
This is really tragic, but I don't mind it too much.

Kojima deserves better, so I'm actually glad that he's finally gonna be free to do whatever he wants after this.

Sucks for Silent Hills though

ec0ec0

I met Hideo Kojima back in an industry event in Koln in the autumn of 2006, where he was signing autographs for fans.

The queue was abating towards the end of the night and Kojima was talking in Japanese to a management type, so I walked up. I shook him by the hand and said I just wanted to quickly thank him for his games, and he smiled and nodded and said something quietly about me being too kind. The manager turned away to look down the hall, and Kojima suddenly gripped my hand tighter than I ever though possible, so much so that I let out a tiny yelp, and pulled me right next to his face to whisper 'Everything I do is pain'. All the love had gone from his eyes. The manager turned around, but by that time Kojima has let go of me and was smiling and nodding and mumbling something in broken English; 'so kind, th-thank you', etc.

I watched him from afar, other fans occasionally coming to greet him. My hand was still red the next day.

thread delivered xD

Cosmozone

Pretty sure he'll form an independent studio now. Wonder what he's up to next. The success with Metal Gear will be hard to recreate.

mattp

so kojima totally saw this coming and planned for it by realllllly making mgs5 the last mgs game. the first 2/3rds of the game you play as big boss building outer heaven, and the last 1/3rd of the game it skips ahead to controlling solid snake(voiced by david hayter) infiltrating outer heaven and killing big boss

right?

...right?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well there went Silent Hills and pretty much everything else. I don't get it. He got to make what he wanted. His games embark his work. They're just throwing ownership on everything now that this is going on. I for one think that's BS. Scratching a man's name off his own work.

March 19, 2015.... April 1, 2015

I don't know

But if that ever happens you have my opinion.

Remember there was 1 other thing before all this happened:
trio.jpg

1 and 1..together...make..2

CTLance

Ah, yeah, my brain blanked out on that. Metal Gear Solid: Base Operations will probably make a mint.

And they can even bring in other old defunct Konami properties too. Special soldiers can include Pyramid Head and Alucard and the like!
Joke all you want, but Square made something quite similar on Wii (My Life As A King) and it was freaking awesome. They later even switched sides and released My Life As A Darklord, and it was quite swell too.

Not that I'd think Konami could make something of that caliber. Especially not on mobile.

Yen

He's been there for thirty years, created their most iconic and acclaimed series and he gets shoved out? Crazy.

I'm sort of glad. He's pretty much done nothing but MGS his entire career outside of a few blips like Boktai. It'd be like if Stephen Spielberg spent the last 30 years making nothing but Jaws sequels. Maybe that's how he wanted it, maybe Konami forced it on him, but either way it will be interesting to see him forced to do something new. It could be amazing, or it could be a trainwreck (whatever it is hopefully he doesn't just pull a Mighty No 9) but either way I want to see it.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed.

Kojima gonna be like an All-Pro QB hitting the free agent market. Cant wait to see who scoops him up!

aerts1js

Really? DAMN. I'm just glad he was able to finish his Metal Gear Saga....

But what about silent hills!? Seemed like so much promise there.

Ludist210

So what does this leave Konami with now? PES and what else, mobile stuff?

I can't say I didn't see this coming eventually, but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

Alienous

Imagine how lonely it must be for Kojima there.

Over the years he's seen the slow exodus of all the other studios and talent.

Hopefully he lands on his feet with a publisher that understands to just give the man the budget he wants and wait for the profit.

Yeah but who knows if support for the game will still continue.

I guess that'll depend on whether they intend to continue to make MG games. If yes then I don't see why they wouldn't support it. Of course the type of support it'll have will likely differ if Kojima isn't there to steer the ship.

iqDOzmt.jpg

I am happy about this news. Kojima is a brilliant game designer and it's clear he's quite tired of this franchise.

I met Hideo Kojima back in an industry event in Koln in the autumn of 2006, where he was signing autographs for fans.

The queue was abating towards the end of the night and Kojima was talking in Japanese to a management type, so I walked up. I shook him by the hand and said I just wanted to quickly thank him for his games, and he smiled and nodded and said something quietly about me being too kind. The manager turned away to look down the hall, and Kojima suddenly gripped my hand tighter than I ever though possible, so much so that I let out a tiny yelp, and pulled me right next to his face to whisper 'Everything I do is pain'. All the love had gone from his eyes. The manager turned around, but by that time Kojima has let go of me and was smiling and nodding and mumbling something in broken English; 'so kind, th-thank you', etc.

I watched him from afar, other fans occasionally coming to greet him. My hand was still red the next day.

Brilliant.

I'm sort of glad. He's pretty much done nothing but MGS his entire career outside of a few blips like Boktai. It'd be like if Stephen Spielberg spent the last 30 years making nothing but Jaws sequels. Maybe that's how he wanted it, maybe Konami forced it on him, but either way it will be interesting to see him forced to do something new. It could be amazing, or it could be a trainwreck (whatever it is hopefully he doesn't just pull a Mighty No 9) but either way I want to see it.

Kojima's been saying the latest MGS is his last one for over a decade now. I don't think that's exactly how he wanted it...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine had this come April's Fool day. Man, what rollercoaster that would have been.

Silent Hills wont be dead cause the deal is between Del Toro and Konami

You're right. It will be dead because the devs (KojiPro) are probably closed down right after MGSV releases. Or will only remain as a skeleton crew. Or who's going to develop the game, Mercury Steam? Bahaha.
My emotions :(

Mooreberg

Is Namco the only Japanese publisher that has not done something bat shit crazy lately? What the fuck is going on over there? I don't have a problem with MGS V being the last game in the series, because both ends of the saga will have been neatly wrapped up. But do these companies actually have plans for 2016 and beyond? Good lord. They've got more than enough money to buy out the market cap of a DeNA-esque company, so "going mobile" cannot be the whole story here. It is like they all want to turn into intellectual property holdings firms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom