• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Cancelling Wii U Waiting List (retroactively)

TheCrow

Wii Us aren't hard to find. You don't need to go to a store. Check their website and see if they have stock at individual stores. Half the Targets near me are showing stock on either or unit or both in some cases.

All the targets near me that supposedly had it were sold out last time I checked.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
There are lots of people stating that Nintendo has been aggressively replenishing stock of the console.

This is a great thing, since the flippers don't get anything and people who legitimately want to buy the console are not frustrated out of the market with insane shortages.

Kacho

Unless you're buying product the week of release, I find that Gamestop is a horrible place to shop at if you're not buying used.

GameStop will have a harder time convincing people to sign up for a program like this for PS4 and X720 when they just went ahead a game up on it.

Wii Us aren't hard to find. You don't need to go to a store. Check their website and see if they have stock at individual stores. Half the Targets near me are showing stock on either or unit or both in some cases.

Same here. I guess gamestop isn't getting as much stock from Nintendo as they wanted/expected.

Sobriquet

Interesting! I just checked and my local Target has both SKUs in stock.

Bgamer90

Banned
Stop that spin. Your just trying to manipulate Bgamer90's young mind!

Never said that some stores didn't sell out.

Considering that there aren't that many Wii Us to begin with, it selling out in certain areas was bound to happen.

However, there are many places in which they are easy to find.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All the Wal-Marts around me are sold out.

Went to a few Targets and each had maybe 1 or 2 in stock, and the reps were telling me they're selling out every time they get a shipment.

Sorry, shinobi--you're clearly lying, as an online stock-checker is much more reliable than actual human employees.

bill0527

As discussed in the other thread, website inventory trackers are very unreliable and flat out wrong in most cases. And that's for every retailer.

That said, the Wal-Mart 5 minutes away from me had 1 basic in stock, and i just walked into the door from best buy and they had 1 deluxe in stock.

Hcoregamer00

Interesting! I just checked and my local Target has both SKUs in stock.

There is quite a difference between the store stock online tracking and the website.

10 surrounding WalMarts and Targets state that they have consoles, but a quick phone call to the electronics department suggest otherwise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There are lots of people stating that Nintendo has been aggressively replenishing stock of the console.

This is a great thing, since the flippers don't get anything and people who legitimately want to buy the console are not frustrated out of the market with insane shortages.

This needs to be restated again and again in these threads, as people continually ignore it.

Eusis

I'm curious if a lot of people ended up not claiming them because they managed to get them elsewhere. I likely missed the call while out of home, but am getting one for Christmas and sold my backup Basic to my brother.

Plinko

He didn't say the stock checker was wrong.

I know. Some in this conversation tend to ignore any evidence given by employees but take the online stock checker as gospel truth.

This needs to be restated again and again in these threads, as people continually ignore it.

Yeah. Least were not getting pictures of obviously replenished stock from 9 at night though :D
Replenishment is very different from the Wii.

Which is silly of Nintendo with the years of success they got from strangling supply of the Wii...right? ;p

Its good anyway, having work load catching up with me am not getting one till I complete my dissertation. Will get it as a treat for myself too :) Don't have to worry about availability.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I just went to my local grocery store. They have 20, people, TWENTY deluxe Wii U's. I'm not sure about you but I know this thing isn't selling anywhere.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah. Least were not getting pictures of obviously replenished stock from 9 at night though :D
Replenishment is very different from the Wii.

Which is silly of Nintendo with the years of success they got from strangling supply of the Wii...right? ;p

Its good anyway, having work load catching up with me am not getting one till I complete my dissertation. Will get it as a treat for myself too :) Don't have to worry about availability.

Well, hardware sales will show in November and December if Nintendo has aggressively been filling orders or if there is a lack of demand.

I just went to my local grocery store, they have 20, people, TWENTY deluxe Wii U's. I'm not sure about you but I know this thing isn't selling anywhere.

Yeah, Vons, Stater Bros, and Albertsons are not known for pushing the Wii U that hard.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo might have shorted Gamestop stock in favor of big box stores.
Would make sense given how the wii sold at those locations. Gamestop seems more catered towards 360/Ps3 from the looks of things in the past.

Yeah its just bad business to hold onto the console when people haven't put down money as they dont feel driven to pick it up or cancel it if they don't want it. Also, Nintendo does not resupply until a certain amount are sold, so stores holding theirs for the waitlist would never get more in.

I live in Chicago and I called Target down the street and I was surprised to learn they had the 32GB version in stock.

I was going to wait until a 3D mario was released until I picked up a WiiU, but I'm really tempted.

REALLY tempted.

TheCrow

I live in Chicago and I called Target down the street and I was surprised to learn they had the 32GB version in stock.

I was going to wait until a 3D mario was released until I picked up a WiiU, but I'm really tempted.

REALLY tempted.

What part of Chicago? I haven't had any luck at the Best Buy and Gamestop near me.

Sorry, shinobi--you're clearly lying, as an online stock-checker is much more reliable than actual human employees.

I'd be more than happy to drive you around to the stores I've gone to and we can ask in person. (You pay gas though, straight?)

Edit: Sarcasm detector was malfunctioning :p

The BestBuy I work at has been receiving healthy shipments of Wii U since its launch. They don't stay on the floor for long either. Also, I'd like to note that a lady came in yesterday asking if there was a limit to how many Wii Us could be purchased. She wanted 10 Wii U consoles and had the cash for it too, but management would only allow her to take one. They flew off the shelves regardless.

What part of Chicago? I haven't had any luck at the Best Buy and Gamestop near me.

Northside...

Target - Chicago Peterson Ave Now with Fresh Grocery
2112 W Peterson Ave,Chicago,IL 60659
(773) 761-3001

M-F. 8:00AM - 11:00PM
Sat. 8:00AM - 11:00PM
Sun. 8:00AM - 10:00PM

They have both console versions in-stock.

I've been trying since launch to find one at Target where I get a discount, but no Target in the LA area seems to have one. Oh well, at least it seems to be easier to find than the Wii at launch, but it's far from easy to find.

I've been trying since launch to find one at Target where I get a discount, but no Target in the LA area seems to have one. Oh well, at least it seems to be easier to find than the Wii at launch, but it's far from easy to find.

There is a Target downtown that had a bunch last time I checked the tracker on their site.

They actually called me to say they had a reserved unit for me, but I told them I got one from Target. It was the last deluxe they haf when I went.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just went to GS to (finally) go pick up my P4G.

They had a fair amount of Wii U's in stock. Honestly the wait list was a pretty terrible idea from the get go, it basically clogs down the units they have for 48 hours. People who were only slightly interested in the system at all, or were just purely speculating, were doing so with no money down.

I got 2 robocalls for the 2 different units I waitlisted in the past week for $0. Just totally ignored it because I don't really have an interest in picking one up at this time.

blackflag

Weird GS I went to the other day was trying hard to sell me one until I told him I already got it.

Darkside has a good point. There were so many available from other retailers, they are probably wasting a lot of time holding units and calling people that have already bought it.

I just hope availability for the system is as good in EU once the initial launch "shortage" is over. I'm much happier knowing I can walk into a shop and pick up the system when I want, as I may be waiting into 2013 to get my system

TheCrow

Northside...

Target - Chicago Peterson Ave Now with Fresh Grocery
2112 W Peterson Ave,Chicago,IL 60659
(773) 761-3001

They have both console versions in-stock.

Hmm, I'm in Lincoln Park so I'm not sure about taking a 40+ minute ride on the CTA is worth it. Thanks though, you gave me hope that I'll run into one eventually.

There is a Target downtown that had a bunch last time I checked the tracker on their site.
Target's inventory tracking is unreliable at best. I would call before going to the store.

krae_man

Translation: people on the waiting list weren't picking up their consoles and people with money willing to buy them were being turned away.

Hmm, I'm in Lincoln Park so I'm not sure about taking a 40+ minute ride on the CTA is worth it. Thanks though, you gave me hope that I'll run into one eventually.

You should check on the Wilson Yard Target (4466 North Broadway) as well. Just take the Broadway bus (36) from Lincoln Park.

You can also just call the store for further confirmation but that might be a bit much for you guys.

I don't really understand the investment either way in either pointing to the online trackers triumphantly to assert that it isn't selling or in pointing to the many tales of people saying that the trackers are wrong to assert that it is.

I get that speculation is entertaining -- otherwise why the hell would I be in these threads -- but there's nothing really to be right about at this point. Sure, it's fun trying to get a read on things to add an imaginary feather to one's cap, but it won't be until after the holidays when there's a clear picture about what was sold vs. shipped and whether or not there's sustained demand.

Raptomex

Anyone can take a reservation, but you have to hold the reservation
Seinfeld+rental+car.jpg
Excellent. Good thing I got mine. I was nervous GameStop wouldn't have my copy on release day. All is good.

Hero

Wait list was kind of stupid without having to put money down.

You can also just call the store for further confirmation but that might be a bit much for you guys.

Come on man, that means some people here would have to actually interact with a real human being. That's just too much to ask.

TheCrow

You should check on the Wilson Yard Target (4466 North Broadway) as well. Just take the Broadway bus (36) from Lincoln Park.

Thanks, might just give them a call once I get off from work. At least I can just take the Red Line to get home.

Didn't think I would have this much trouble getting one considering I work a block away from a Best Buy and Gamestop.

BD1

Banned
GAF is the anecdotal evidence Hall of Fame.

That being said, I was just in Best Buy and the Wii U section was ransacked. :)

Top Bottom