• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Summer Swap - "Unlimited" Used Games for $60 This Summer

$60 for six weeks is literally twice the price of the Gamefly introductory offer which runs for twice as long.

So four times the effective price. Is shipping really that much a drain on the value proposition?
I'd say it depends on where you live. If you don't live close to a gamefly distribution center and your local postal service isn't great, games through the service is going to suck and you'll be waiting several days for games. Also, it seems like you'd have a way better chance of picking up newer releases faster than through gamefly if you don't have the system figured out. So for some, I'd say this might be a better proposition.

ChrisD

Uuuuhhh
UUUUUUHHHHH
This sounds REALLY COOL actually holy *
NieR, Nioh, Horizon, and a few other games I'm interested in but not sure if I'd play more than once. Hmmm. I may have to try this.

Edit: Our stores don't seem to be doing this, dang.
We have Family Video, but our selection sucks. I should try GameFly some day. I just like the idea of getting the games immediately.

I would ABSOLUTELY need to be able to keep a game at the end, though... Mostly because if that's how it works in some areas, that's what I expect to also get. I would hard pass if you couldn't.

Chjemah

Neo Member
If only I had a summer vacation to be able to play a bunch of single player games for $60. Seems like a great deal especially with so many good games having come out earlier this year.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
From a business perspective, I'm fascinated at the ways GameStop keeps itself alive in an industry they're well aware will eat them whole in ten years.

From merging their stores with ThinkGeek to developing a publishing company and short term promotions like this. So interesting to see how they hustle to keep afloat.

Onaco

Shit... That's tempting... If only you could guranteed me some new pre-owned titles at a reasonable wait time.

I feel like this isn't how the system is supposed to work

No I don't think it is but it does work so why the heck not right.

If I really like the game or want to play it beyond a week or two then I just keep them but considering how quickly games drop in price now, its another incentive to get my fill initially and wait for half price or less later on.

At $60 I bought impulsively but just that $20 jump to $80 in Canada has made me way more selective with what I buy (And actually keep).

Alphahawk

So where exactly do you see this offer? It's not on Gamestop's website and googling it only leads me to a reddit and neogaf thread?

Einhandr

I mean you can basically do this now anyway, with their 7 day return on used games for any reason. My friend calls it "GameStop renting".

Mash83

If you can walk into a store and exchange on the spot then this is better than gamefly IMO. I had gamefly and the turnaround times were horrible, it's the main reason I cancelled.

Also, if you live in a city with multiple gamestop's you have a better chance of getting a game you want.

Don't they already have this? Its called a 7 day return policy.

Back in summer 2013 I must have played 5 games on the same 45 bucks.

When I was a kid, it cost $2 to rent a NES or SNES game from the video rental store. This isn’t much cheaper. So is Gamestop reviving the video rental store??

Lots of people I know have basically already been doing this for years for free.

Makes sense to do this, solid idea. We'll see how the selection plays out though.

Fantomex

I asked about this today. You end up keeping the game all the way up to the deadline. So if you end up swapping for a game on 8-30, it's yours. In the end you keep a game period.

renzolama

Hmm, a business built around loaning media to customers for a fee that is less than the customer would be required to pay to purchase it directly. This is genius, why hasn't anybody ever tried this before.

I'd do this, but the nearest GameStop is five miles from my house, I don't have a car, and there is no way to get to its location legally on bike without taking a 1 hour detour.

I asked about this today. You end up keeping the game all the way up to the deadline. So if you end up swapping for a game on 8-30, it's yours. In the end you keep a game period.

The trick would be to see what game has the highest trade value on the last week, then wait until a 50% bonus to recoup at least close to $60, so about $40-$50

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is their existing policy.

You can return used games within 7 days of purchase - just don't let them notice you abusing it.

Top Bottom