• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Unravel dev: Nintendo is very secretive about NX, Unravel port talk.

We got the full reveal for the PS4 and Xbox One about 8 months ahead of release. I would expect a similar path from Nintendo. Neither Microsoft or Sony had fully revealed their plans to indies at this point either. It's probably just a case of Nintendo not wanting leaks to potentially give their competitors enough time to get the jump on whatever the unique tech is they have in NX.

Everyone should bear in mind that, no matter what crazy gimmick/perspective innovation Nintendo has up their sleeves with NX, everyone will try to mimic it. Do you think Wii U haven't influenced the creation of Xbox SmartGlass and PS Vita Remote Play?

If im Nintendo and my system has some kind of unknown USP i would try to get the bigger fishes on board first before spilling the secret to every developer a couple of weeks before the announcement.
If I'm Nintendo I would try to get everyone on board. By the time you've announced your system it's too late for devs who weren't already in the know to have games ready for the launch window.

AdanVC

NX is such a secretive mess. We're about to enter the third month of 2016 and we still haven't heard anything for a platform that is supposed to come out this holiday... PS4 was already revealed at this point when it released in 2013. Nintendo should follow something similar to bring hype to the masses and let them know they still got it but no, they continue being "selfish" and secretive af like if their concept idea for NX was so magical and original that every single tech company would rob their idea if they show it early, ha! Just show the damn thing so we can have something to look forward because right now, as a Nintendo fan, I feel nothing but frustration.

The problem with this is...

"Surprise, here's the NX, we think it's amazing!"

...followed by:

"Surprise, we have no software for it for the time being!"
Followed by...

A statement at a shareholder meeting saying that the problem was a software drought and we've learnt our lesson for next time.

(for the gazillionth time)

AdanVC

Followed by...

A statement at a shareholder meeting saying that the problem was a software drought and we've learnt our lesson for next time.

(for the gazillionth time)

Followed by a panic mode Nintendo Direct showing games that are at least 2 years away and they have nothing to show right now but the random title of the game moving neatly on the screen followed by an apologize for the lack of games.

c0de

It sounds like a repetition of what we heard from devs when they talked about the early stages of wiiu development with technical documentation only available in japanese.

killroy87

Man, I hope a port of Unravel isn't what Nintendo has in mind for "third party support". That gives me flashbacks to the Wii U launch lineup, a ton of ports of months old games.

MK_768

NX is such a secretive mess. We're about to enter the third month of 2016 and we still haven't heard anything for a platform that is supposed to come out this holiday... PS4 was already revealed at this point when it released in 2013. Nintendo should follow something similar to bring hype to the masses and let them know they still got it but no, they continue being "selfish" and secretive af like if their concept idea for NX was so magical and original that every single tech company would rob their idea if they show it early, ha! Just show the damn thing so we can have something to look forward because right now, as a Nintendo fan, I feel nothing but frustration.

This has been stated before but Microsoft announced their system in May of 2013. And, as this has also been stated before, that was not why the system failed. So let's not go down that route again haha.

This "mess" is minimal. It's only a mess to a small amount of gamers and once the system is formally announced all this speculation will mean nothing. At the end of the day what matters is how Nintendo communicates the system when they do. Don't screw up like Microsoft. They can't exactly do what Sony did by dragging Microsoft through the dirt and then some.

If I'm Nintendo I would try to get everyone on board. By the time you've announced your system it's too late for devs who weren't already in the know to have games ready for the launch window.

And rumblings suggest they are at least somewhat trying to do, but that has to do more with the business side and NX ports would likely be done by small teams secluded from those working on other projects or versions of the same game. Nintendo not giving devkits to indies they've never even worked with before before they have even announced the system is not really weird in the slightest. The decisions for what 3rd party western games are coming to the NX platform at this point in time is likely being made on a business level, not a developer level.
It sounds like a repetition of what we heard from devs when they talked about the early stages of wiiu development with technical documentation only available in japanese.

Not giving a devkit to an indie team they've never worked with = shitty documentation for non Japanese studios? I don't really see how those two are similar to you.

KaneU

I love how secretive Nintendo is, it's a part of their charm imo. I am sure that NX unveiling is going to be something special :)

Man, I hope a port of Unravel isn't what Nintendo has in mind for "third party support". That gives me flashbacks to the Wii U launch lineup, a ton of ports of months old games.
Where did you see anything about an Unravel port? From the article it sounds like they were being asked to pitch something new.

And rumblings suggest they are at least somewhat trying to do, but that has to do more with the business side and NX ports would likely be done by small teams secluded from those working on other projects or versions of the same game. Nintendo not giving devkits to indies they've never even worked with before before they have even announced the system is not really weird in the slightest. The decisions for what 3rd party western games are coming to the NX platform at this point in time is likely being made on a business level, not a developer level.
Perhaps you're right, but if we take this developer's statement at face value someone acting on the behalf of Nintendo was interested in them making a game; he could have signed an NDA and discussed the system.

L Thammy

Maybe Nintendo is trying to drop a neg on indies. If they act like they don't want them, the indies will want NX more.

(not a serious post)

Where did you see anything about an Unravel port? From the article it sounds like they were being asked to pitch something new.

Perhaps you're right, but if we take this developer's statement at face value someone acting on the behalf of Nintendo was interested in them making a game; he could have signed an NDA and discussed the system.

If we take this at face value he had a friendly discussion "a while back" that that doesn't even seem like it was business related, just a "fun" talk. We don't even know what that person's position was at Nintendo.

jay

I wonder how many generations of Nintendo having shitty/declining third party support it will take before we all just assume their next console will have shitty third party support.

RK128

I wonder how many generations of Nintendo having shitty/declining third party support it will take before we all just assume their next console will have shitty third party support.

No more generations, as I'm expecting nothing from a NX on the third party side.

That was why I didn't get a Wii U this generation (saving up for the console with the most games, so PS4 is it for me this June) and stuck with a 2DS for Smash Brothers and my Nintendo Fix :).

The NX will have to do a lot to impress me and push me to pick one up.

Please don't have the Sonic Anniversary game be a NX exclusive launch game :(. Really want to get a PS4 this year and can't afford TWO systems X(.

diaspora

Didn't the EA/NX thread mention that EA has devkits and probably have had them since late last year? How does the Unravel dev not know what the system entails?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You truly think Nintendo would be well-advised giving NX kits to Rockstar? Why would Rockstar care at this point about the NX? When was the last time Nintendo did anything for Nintendo machines? Yes, they could port GTAV and yes, that would be a good thing, but it's an old game by now that's already on every other system, so it probably wouldn't have that big of an impact. Nobody was excited about playing an old version of Batman on the WiiU, I doubt a GTAV port for NX would kick up much fuss.

Nintendo shouldn't just support the big studios that MOST LIKELY aren't going to be too hot on putting a lot of development resources into an unproven system with an installed base of 0. They should have a few people who're spotting out smaller studios that could theoretically have shipped something on NX at or near launch - And they shouldn't be as crazy secretive about it as they are. Yes, Nintendo is constantly and always being copied - for god reasons. But we live in a time where what really matters is good software, not another hardware gimmick.

Nintendo should be out there, trying to get at the very least timed-exclusives for their hardware and work hand-in-hand with developers of whatever size. We like a secret as much as the next guy, but if your entire studio is dependent on software and you're not getting the software if you keep everything close to your chest, then maybe, just maybe, running with the same old strategy that worked 15 years ago isn't the right strategy anymore?

To be really honest, I think a GTAV port with some additions (and well done overall) wouldn't be as bad as some late/very late ports Wii U got at launch. The reason? GTAV is still selling amazing despite being more than 2 years old, thanks also to ports on other platforms.

About all your posts: I simply hope that dev kits general distribution starts soon enough so indies developers of all kinds can be able to bring their games on the platform without problems. Combining some of the stuff from WSJ, Trevelyan's third party dev and the recent Tamaki's rumour + John Harker's posts, I'd go with the following schedule

Before E3: Some developers start talking with 3rd parties about NX (John Harker knew about this, so I suppose Ubisoft was involded since then)
At E3: More widespread discussions with different parties about NX (Fortune article, then confirmed by John Harker)
July 2015: DQX and XI get "leaked" for NX directly by DQ producers themselves at the conference where they announced DQXI
October 2015: WSJ shares the news that SDK distribution has started, alongside other tidbits (two "powerful" devices, "industry-leading chips"). Around this period, there's also John Harker saying that Nintendo is throwing NDAs here and there, a huge amount of them, which makes me think this is when Ubisoft received dev kits as well. Recent Tamaki's rumour makes me assume this is when EA received dev kits too.
February 2015: We've started hearing more from Western developers, through both Trev and Tamaki + random tidbits here and there.

What I can gather is that the key partners are publishers or developers with a relevant and ongoing relationship with Nintendo / major publisher that Nintendo feels the need to get on their platforms again (EA). I wouldn't say it's impossible that some indie developers who are nearer to Nintendo are among key partners. They got access to dev kits before anyone else. There's a date for distribution of public dev kits, but it can't be shared right now due to NDAs. Also, there's a possibility of Early Access before that date, but there's a lot of bureaucracy involved.
I don't know when you asked about a dev kit to them, but I hope you can try again and that you get a better answer this time.

Also, now that I think about it: that rumour from Trevelyan listed this too

The Developer’s Nintendo Account Manager stated that Unity and Unreal Engine 4 will both be ready in time for when developers outside of key partners are able to purchase dev-kits of their own.

And now we have M3d1on saying something similar right in this thread (validation pending on the veridicity of what he said, though)

If we take this at face value he had a friendly discussion "a while back" that that doesn't even seem like it was business related, just a "fun" talk. We don't even know what that person's position was at Nintendo.
True. Well, we'll see. I want the NX to be successful and having a healthy indie ecosystem is a big part of that.

Papacheeks

Banned
Everyone should bear in mind that, no matter what crazy gimmick/perspective innovation Nintendo has up their sleeves with NX, everyone will try to mimic it. Do you think Wii U haven't influenced the creation of Xbox SmartGlass and PS Vita Remote Play?

No as Sony with kojima were toying with the idea during PSP/ps3.

And you think that Sony and Microsoft are nothing but copy cats? Yea, sure PSP totally copied Ds with its one screen. Sony/Microsoft totally copied the mini disc format of GameCube.

Sony definitely copied N64 with its cartridge based console. And definitely copied 3D from 3ds even though they had tv's out before 3DS that did 3D.And had games in production to use with 3D.

This is actually THE singlest most annoying thing for every dev out there. We also talked to Nintendo and got absolutely nothing - I'll never understand that. And just to be clear, it's not just Nintendo, every hardware manufacturer is treating their devkits and their unreleased consoles like they're the second coming and are insanely secretive about it to a stupid degree in todays time. It's not even that the hardware isn't finished (duh), but you could at least give me the goddamn specs, so we'd know what to build shit for!

What's needed to sell hardware is goddamn good software. With Nintendo not having any devkits out there at this point and probably even wanting to sell it in 2016, I can already guarantee that they'll just not have any software support, since nobody can just jumble games together in less than a year. I mean, you can, but it'll be garbage.

The same is true for Engine Support - Get Unity and Epic to support these consoles WAAAAY ahead of release. By the time the console launches, it should be EASY for developers to develop games for these systems, things shouldn't just only start at this point. I want the goddamn devkits or at least proper hardware specs ideally 2 years before release - Keep all the developers updated, start a forum where devs can chat and figure out all the problems everyone's having, instead of everyone just having to deal with it. None of that's happening anywhere and it's just braindamaged.

So thats why there have been so few leaks about NX, most western devs dont know shit about it. Maybe Nintendo said fuck it, its not worth it or they are just insane and think people can make good ports in the months between the reveal and the launch.

VariantX

I just hope there's good tools and devs have decent documentation this time. Heard this was something something both sony and microsoft had and Nintendo dropped the ball hard with

Instro

Didn't the EA/NX thread mention that EA has devkits and probably have had them since late last year? How does the Unravel dev not know what the system entails?

Coldwood is an independent studio not owned by EA. EA just published their game.

This more than likely isn't some dev tied to, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, 2K, Warner Bros or any other major pub out there. Could be a Indie dev, that doesn't have much clout.

udivision

Followed by a panic mode Nintendo Direct showing games that are at least 2 years away and they have nothing to show right now but the random title of the game moving neatly on the screen followed by an apologize for the lack of games.

At the next shareholder's meeting:
"It only takes 1 hit game to turn things around."

Schnozberry

No as Sony with kojima were toying with the idea during PSP/ps3.

And you think that Sony and Microsoft are nothing but copy cats? Yea, sure PSP totally copied Ds with its one screen. Sony/Microsoft totally copied the mini disc format of GameCube.

Sony definitely copied N64 with its cartridge based console. And definitely copied 3D from 3ds even though they had tv's out before 3DS that did 3D.And had games in production to use with 3D.

All successful divergent video game technology is eventually mimicked by competitors. If Nintendo feels like they have something truly unique, then it's worth protecting to the extent of their ability to do so.

Papacheeks

Banned
Of course no! But it's not like Nintendo's decisions won't have any influence outside their own ecosystem.

Not this time around, they are the ones trying to catch up. ANd having some kind of mobile integration, with a shared library is something Sony has been doing since PS3.

And if it's some kind of VR, other companies are all ready ahead of the curb.

It's Nintendo who will be copying Sony and Microsoft in how their OS, ecosystem works, linking account systems, having a shared library.

All successful divergent video game technology is eventually mimicked by competitors. If Nintendo feels like they have something truly unique, then it's worth protecting to the extent of their ability to do so.

The thing is technology has surpassed them for almost 7-8 years. What else could the possibly implement that other companies outside of gaming haven't?
They really don't have a lot to choose from if they are going to have some sort of gimmick. And even if it's some kind of weird display controller, I don't think it will make the splash they think it will.
VR is truly in a league of it's own and after 2017, it will start to get more and more attention with better software. What Nintendo needs right now is just a solid plan in executing a great console without all the gimmicky stuff.

And with how it sounds they have been approaching the issues that have plagued them throughout their whole console history, seems that they haven't learned anything. So unless these quotes are totally out of context, it sounds like it's going to be mostly Nintendo on their own in the beginning to prove to developers that they are a viable option, and willing to work with developer's/publisher's outside of their Japanese relations.

Ansatz

If NX console is merely another form factor that plays the same games as the handheld, then it doesn't have to sell crazy amounts to be regarded a financial success so I'm not sure things will play out like the previous hardware cycles.

NX is not automatically doomed, there are valid strategies independent of 3rd parties that can result in success as long as you're OK with niche status.

This more than likely isn't some dev tied to, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, 2K, Warner Bros or any other major pub out there. Could be a Indie dev, that doesn't have much clout.
They are an indie.
So thats why there have been so few leaks about NX, most western devs dont know shit about it. Maybe Nintendo said fuck it, its not worth it or they are just insane and think people can make good ports in the months between the reveal and the launch.
Just read some other posts, it's known that NX devkits and SDKs are out there and western publishers have known NX details for a while and have even had devkits for awhile, Nintendo just isn't giving them to indies they've never even worked with before and the NDAs are super strict, NX versions of games are likely being worked on behind closed doors by small teams.

Turrican3

But we live in a time where what really matters is good software, not another hardware gimmick.
I know the chances are extremely small, but what if they can pull another wiimote?

Regarding droughts, I'm fairly confident that, if NX actually pans out as an ecosystem allowing most, if not all of Nintendo first/second party output to run on both the home and the handheld, that alone should bring a huge improvement.

Okay, the sooner we'll start...

EY4sS4m.png

Ninty needs to out and reveal this thing while they've got the element of surprise.

It's out this year Nintendo, show it off already!

Razzorn34

I love how secretive Nintendo is, it's a part of their charm imo. I am sure that NX unveiling is going to be something special :)

Seriously. When has Nintendo NOT been secretive? This isn't anything new, guys. Nintendo could be announcing a new toaster that has a big N on the side and they still wouldn't reveal it early.

With all of the leaks this day in age, I honestly applaud them for taking steps to keep secrets as secrets.

I have no expectations at all for 3rd party support at launch for this thing so anything will be a pleasant surprise. At this point with their history expecting a turn around is just asking for disappointment

Top Bottom