• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCN x Wii: A Catalogue Comparison.

Its not exactly rocket surgery fellas.

Its a grid of games in varying genres, one grid for each, with Wii titles on the left and GC titles on the right, with a text key below specifying each games title if you dont recognise it from the screenshot.

How am I supposed to know what is what when theres just a group number at the top of each grid for most of them?

Weng

The Wii had some great games, but when you do direct comparisons of games in a series the GC almost always wins out.

Monkey Ball series GC >>>>> Monkey Ball series Wii
Mario Kart DD >>>> Martio Kart Wii
SSBM >> SSBB
Resident Evil 4 >> Non existent wii entry
Wind Waker >> TP

EDIT: Thinking of more
Metroid Prime >>> Zero Mission
Animal Crossing GC >>> Animal Crossing Wii

Wii had its list of awesome exclusives (Mad World, NMH) but in a lot of ways I think Wii games suffered from laziness that kept that from being great. It's like developers knew their games would sell a ton of copies from soccer moms so why make awesome games.
Fixed some things for you:

Resident Evil 4 << Resident Evil 4 Wii Ed. + Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles
WW + TP << TP + SS (or at least equal)
Metroid Prime 1+2 << Metroid Prime 3 + Other M + Trilogy

Scoops

Banned
Good stuff.

Definitely liked the Wii's output better. Much more diverse, more games that were at least good (Gamecube library was top heavy) and enhanced versions of the Gamecube's best games such as MP1/2, Pikmin 1/2, RE4.

Loved the action games like MadWorld, NMH1/2, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill SM, the CoD's and Goldeneye and the 2D platformers NSMB, Epic Yarn, Return to Dreamland, Rayman and DKCR. The Galaxys were way better then Sunshine. MKDD and Melee only slightly better then Brawl and MKWii. Great party games on Wii. And then there's Xenoblade.

Yup. Loved the Wii's library.

Yes Boss!

Whoa. Was not expecting that in the OP. A Lot of work!

Personally, from a first-party point of view (usually all I care about) the Wii way out-performed the Cube.

Plus, you have all those be Wii-Line IPs which collectively were awesome.

And then, VC adding infinite more value.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm honestly pretty surprised how attitudes towards the Wii are changing. It's like now that the system is dead, people are finally starting to acknowledge that it had a really strong library when you look past the waggle. And that's cool.

That console war is over, and the casual influx failed to doom all of video gaming, so people are now ready to look at Wii as something other than a personal insult.

That is some impressive stuff there. Great job Refresh!

I loved both systems pretty strongly, but I honestly don't think it's a question that Wii has the better library. And then you have full BC anyway. On top of the VC and other downloadables.

Scoops

Banned
I'm honestly pretty surprised how attitudes towards the Wii are changing. It's like now that the system is dead, people are finally starting to acknowledge that it had a really strong library when you look past the waggle. And that's cool.

The Wii ended up with more third party exclusives then the 360 or PS3 and had the best first party output.

wildfire

Banned
The Gamecube was barely on my radr=ar with only Resident Evil 4 being its most notable title.

The poor image of the Wii has to do with many games we were expecting to see on the #1 selling console never came to pass and the last 2 years left a bad taste a lot of of people's mouths.

kswiston

Wii's image as a casual shovelware system has led to people underestimating its library. There are a ton of great gems on the system, from both Nintendo and Third Party developers. Most of the third party stuff just happens to be not fall under the AAA banner.

Nymphae

Banned
Just wanted to say that I think it's stupid the Gamecube is still being referred to as GCN, which never really made any sense.

Davey Cakes

I'm a Nintendo guy anyway so I loved my GameCube more than my XBOX and my Wii more than my X360. The games appealed to me and the quality was always there, even if the game libraries didn't stack up the same way.

Both systems were quite underrated but I feel like the Wii faced a lot of unnecessary ridicule throughout its lifetime. It may end up being considered one of the most underrated consoles of all time for its high quality Nintendo output and also the vast array of unique exclusives otherwise. Especially for multiplayer, the Wii was utterly fantastic.

Taste aside, it's pretty easy to see why the Wii could be considered better than the GC.

The Boat

That's a lot of work OP. Personally, I think the Wii completely wastes GC's library. There are more and better 1st party games and the 3rd party support is much, much more interesting.

Great post OP.

Wii trumps GC

GC's Exclusive Strengths

-Killer7
-PN 03
-Viewtiful Joe
-Eternal Darkness
-Mario Sunshine
-Wind Waker
-Ultimate Muscle (Game was awesome. Come at me)
-Tales of Symphonia
-Skies of Arcadia
-Capcom vs SNK

Didn't list Resident Evil 4, ReMake & Zero because they got ported

Wii had an amazing library that has already been covered

Celine

Great post OP.

Wii trumps GC

GC's Exclusive Strengths

-Killer7
-PN 03
-Viewtiful Joe
-Eternal Darkness
-Mario Sunshine
-Wind Waker
-Ultimate Muscle (Game was awesome. Come at me)
-Tales of Symphonia
-Skies of Arcadia
-Capcom vs SNK

Didn't list Resident Evil 4, ReMake & Zero because they got ported

Wii had an amazing library that has already been covered
Not exclusive (most of them were the leading version though).

For me, the Wii is right up there with the Super Nintendo with just the pure amount of awesome (especially first party) games for it. Still have quite a backlog left for it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm sorry, but that's one clusterfuck of an OP.

And, IMO, the Cube's library is better and it's not even close. Take away the Galaxies(and Xenoblade) and the Wii library starts to look like real ass. Not to mention that many of the Wii sequels to Nintendo franchises were also the worst games of their respective franchises.

SS>WW, since never
also Other M singlehandedly makes Metroid on Wii worse

People will look back at the Wiis library highly. Especially once the WiiUs cycle ends

well yeah, everything looks nice compared to Wii U

Wii library shits all over GC library. How is this even a question? Most of the best GC games came out on Wii anyways in some form.

Only thing GC actually has over Wii is that Paper Mario 2 never got released on Wii... we just got that Super PM trash instead.

Seriously... why did PM2 never get rereleased anywhere? Even the first game is downloadable on Wii.

Platy

For me the most impressive thing about the Gamecube is how EVERY mainline Resident Evil was playable on the system

Resident Evil Zero ("exclusive")
REmake ("exclusive")
Resident Evil 2 (ps1 port)
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis(ps1 port)
Resident Evil Code Veronica X (dreamcast port)
Resident Evil 4 (timed exclusive)

Not bad for a "kiddy console" xD

georly

That's a hell of a lot of work for something completely incomprehensible.

Can someone explain this to me? I have no idea what im looking at.

I dont entirely understand every grouping. Maybe label what each group is supposed to represent? I get the racing, fighting, party games, but not all of them.

Also, maybe some bar graphs/pie charts?

I appreciate all the work, but i think it makes it a bit hard to get the point OP is trying to make. Throwing out data points is nice, but data analysis is nicer.

zma1013

For me the most impressive thing about the Gamecube is how EVERY mainline Resident Evil was playable on the system

Resident Evil Zero ("exclusive")
REmake ("exclusive")
Resident Evil 2 (ps1 port)
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis(ps1 port)
Resident Evil Code Veronica X (dreamcast port)
Resident Evil 4 (timed exclusive)

Not bad for a "kiddy console" xD

Those prices for the old ones were rip-offs. $30-$40 for a single straight up port? Come on. Should have been $40 for 2, 3, and Code all in a single package.

MrT-Tar

I far prefer the library of the Wii, it just had so many overlooked, underapreciated gems. I've felt this way for a while, but I've only realised the extent earlier this year, when I picked up games like Project Zero II, Pandora's Tower and Sakura Wars cheap.

I saw One Piece Grand Adventure in one pic, that game was... meh.

Some of the dialougue was terrible, and they took a lot out of the game since the English One Piece weren't as far ahead as the Japanese one. For example, they took out Foxy The Silver Fox and Aokiji. Along with a stage or 2.

The build your own crew part of the game was pretty fun and addicting, and when played with a friend the game gets really fun. After those 2 things, the rest of the game was meh.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm sorry, but that's one clusterfuck of an OP.

And, IMO, the Cube's library is better and it's not even close. Take away the Galaxies(and Xenoblade) and the Wii library starts to look like real ass. Not to mention that many of the Wii sequels to Nintendo franchises were also the worst games of their respective franchises.

Take away the best games from the Gamecube library and it looks like ass too.

Too bad the best games also count, for both systems.

Yes Boss!

Really the only thing the Cube has over the Wii is Waverace and Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero and Sunshine and Donkey Konga for me.

Plus Wii has Rhythm Heaven Fever.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Take away the best games from the Gamecube library and it looks like ass too.

Too bad the best games also count, for both systems.

Ok, take away the two Metroid Primes and say.... Wind Waker and you still have a very competent Gamecube library. I can't say the same for the Wii.

I mean I don't like pulling up reviews, but they do speak for themselves, Gamecube, in general reviewed much better than the Wii.

TunaLover

Just a question, Super Paper Mario is considered a platform? I ask because neither of its core gamplay elements is quite dominant, it has RPG elements, but battles and leverage are not so dominant, neither platforming which is more based in puzzle solving more than platform skills.

zroid

Banned
I have always believed the Wii had the better library, but it's nice to see this comparison regardless. Nice job, OP.

Just a question, Super Paper Mario is considered a platform? I ask because neither of its core gamplay elements is quite dominant, it has RPG elements, but battles and leverage are not so dominant, neither platforming which is more based in puzzle solving more than platform skills.

The RPG elements mostly aren't there. If I remember correctly it auto-levels everyone, so it isn't like regular Paper Mario where you could assign points yourself.

The only RPG element is that it shows how much damage you do when you attack. So it's mostly just a platformer.

Great OP! Yes the Wii has a better library and I find it has actually some of the most varied libraries, but is lacking in sim racers and fighters.

Actually I want to play some Wii games I have in my backlog and maybe will get. Indeed the control input worked great for some games, this was the success of the Wii.

off topic. I love my Wii U and the gamepad and I am of the opinion that not every Wii U game has to make something incredible with the gamepad. Why not also use the Wii control method more for Wii U releases? I would love a Dead Space on Wii U with wiimote controls for example, but yeah not going to happen.

My personal take is pretty simple, and maybe not objectively fair, but I tend to see the Gamecube - a struggling 3rd place system - as one that got more than its fair share of incredible games.

Meanwhile, the Wii, with an objectively comparable game library - as the OP shows - was the market leader, and the fastest-selling console ever during its first 3 years or so. Which makes me think of it as criminally under-supported.

Picobrain

Banned
This list is confusing, which are GC games and which are Wii games?

Edit: Ok i figured it out, but still its confusing.

It's sad but true that several of the very best Wii games are slightly enhanced Gamecube ports.

The Wii had a few games that went toe to toe with the best in their genre. I don't think the GCN had a library that reached those heights.

stuminus3

I think an apples to apples comparison is a tough thing to do because Wii games can feature gameplay that isn't actually possible on a Gamecube, from flat out not do-able (Wii Sports, Skyward Sword) to can-be-replicated-but-not-as-good (pointer controls). Though I guess "a regular analog controller" is a selling point for some.

Either way whichever system has Excite Truck has the best library. ^_^

Exclusive wise I think the Wii easily wins. Once you include the multiplats the GC got it's not even a question. RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evi, etc. are just amazing. Also personally I think Nintendo of the GC era was slightly more appealing even if all the games from the big franchises weren't the best

rjc571

Banned
Are you saying that Resident Evil 4, Twilight Princess, and the Metroid Prime games are NOT among the Wii's best games?

3 games doesn't count as "several", and RE4 and Metroid Prime on Wii aren't "slightly" enhanced -- their pointer controls blow the original versions' controls out of the water.

Might help to label the genres for each Group, but nice OP.
Uh I have to look through the list more thoroughly, but wouldn't the groups be better labeled as genres?

I prefer the Wii's library BY FAR but can't help missing ones like F-Zero and Waverace. Nintendo's output is massive in retrospect. It could've used some rounding out though.
@ponpo and MisterHero: The absense of explicit genre clasification if for the greater good. Just a dry group number to attempt to keep the disscussion as focused as possible. Genre clasification is not the purpose of the thread. For example:
OP, as an FYI, you have Doshin the giant listed as an RPG - it really, really isn't.

3 games doesn't count as "several", and RE4 and Metroid Prime on Wii aren't "slightly" enhanced -- their pointer controls blow the original versions' controls out of the water.

There was also the entire "New Play Control" series, and the re-releases of REmake and RE Zero, some of which could easily be argued as among the Wii's best games.

As for the pointer controls, I liked that change quite a bit, but many have argued that they go against the grain of the original games' design. Considering how stellar RE4 and the Prime games already were, I most certainly would call the pointer controls a "slight enhancement", even though I enjoyed them.

rjc571

Banned
There was also the entire "New Play Control" series, and the re-releases of REmake and RE Zero, some of which could easily be argued as among the Wii's best games.

As for the pointer controls, I liked that change quite a bit, but many have argued that they go against the grain of the original games' design. Considering how stellar RE4 and the Prime games already were, I most certainly would call the pointer controls a "slight enhancement", even though I enjoyed them.

I never want to play Metroid Prime or RE4 with their original controls again. I wouldn't call anything that makes the original version obsolete a minor upgrade.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider any of the New Play Control games or the other RE ports to be among the Wii's best games. MAYBE Pikmin 2 would crack my top 25.

Top Bottom