• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2024 | State of the Industry | Majority of devs work less than 40 hour weeks and paid digital downloads is the preferred business model

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://gdconf.com/news/gdc-2024-st...edit_gdcsf_gdcsf_le_x_17_x_2024&kcode=BLG_GDC

I picked out the most interesting slides but you can add more to the thread by slicing them out the full pdf here

We asked over 3,000 game developers about their work and the industry. We found they’re implementingmore accessibility options into their games, they’re growing frustrated with social media, and they’redivided on mandatory return-to-office policies.

7ZKxOW.jpg

R01Tgw.jpg

XsRWbo.jpg

vDakmA.jpg

A4tcPb.jpg

RM78tz.jpg

9RqKd7.jpg

jTDC1X.jpg

L7aP95.jpg

mixoIu.jpg

ManaByte

Before the drama begins over physical/digital, a lot of devs saw what Larian was able to do without having to rely on a massive cut to a publisher to get a physical game on shelves and want that for themselves.

Three

Before the drama begins over physical/digital, a lot of devs saw what Larian was able to do without having to rely on a massive cut to a publisher to get a physical game on shelves and want that for themselves.
Larian released physical copies though. Nothing to do with 'cut to publishers'.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Does that mean they aren't salaried if under 40 hrs?
Most likely, yeah. But it looks like 40% of people are working between 30 and 40 hours per week, and that makes sense. The fact that most people are between 3 and 10 also makes sense. A lot of these studios hired a lot over that last 3 years, and a lot of those developers were working at other tech companies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
First thing GDC has to is get someone to make effective charts. The answer should be beside the bar, not under it.

Never the less, it looks like most people work less than 40 hours per week with a bunch even under 30(?). They must have a lot of PT workers or FT people with nothing to do. I thought game makers are all crunching and sleeping in their cubicle? lol

Xtib81

Interesting data.
So, who are those workers who work more than 80hrs a week?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
First thing GDC has to is get someone to make effective charts. The answer should be beside the bar, not under it.

Never the less, it looks like most people work less than 40 hours per week with a bunch even under 30(?). They must have a lot of PT workers or FT people with nothing to do. I thought game makers are all crunching and sleeping in their cubicle? lol

Some of those people probably work on the business\marketing side though.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
"The majority of devs are working less than 40 hours in the week" ... That sounds surprising. My guess is that a very large number of the people who filled in the questionnaire are really hobbyists or part-time indie developers, not professionals working in a studio or for a major company.

You can tell by the percentage of people working on PC (66%) compared to PS5 (35%). The barrier of entry to become a PS5 developer is high, while there's none for PC.

kiphalfton

I'm sure they will.

Unfortunately a lot of devs are delusional though too, and think they too can be like Larian (without looking at and understanding why Larian was ultimately successful).

Three

"The majority of devs are working less than 40 hours in the week" ... That sounds surprising. My guess is that a very large number of the people who filled in the questionnaire are really hobbyists or part-time indie developers, not professionals working in a studio or for a major company.

You can tell by the percentage of people working on PC (66%) compared to PS5 (35%). The barrier of entry to become a PS5 developer is high, while there's none for PC.
I think it's more telling that Unity was the top engine in the poll. I would say attendees are a mixture of both but the ones working for a major AAA studio are the minority.

Mr.Phoenix

There is a job role percentage there that is a direct correlation with why most modern games are buggy AF. It's not even in the double digits.

HL3.exe

That top slide is depressing and indicative of an industry that can't maintain its veteran talent, and therefore losing experienced devs with knowledge.

Brain-drain is a problem, instead they opt for fresh young devs, just graduated without any real-world work experience. This cycle is fucked, needing to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Rather unhealthy for solving decade old design and tech problems in the industry, rather then pushing boundary with experienced devs.

Desless1

That top slide is depressing and indicative of an industry that can't maintain its veteran talent, and therefore losing experienced devs with knowledge.

Brain-drain is a problem, instead they opt for fresh young devs, just graduated without any real-world work experience. This cycle is fucked, needing to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Rather unhealthy for solving decade old design and tech problems in the industry, rather then pushing boundary with experienced devs.
Yes, that is quite intereseting. At the same time its nice to see the business attract new talent. They are in there somewhere. Still, the mix between veterans and new ones are still good.

Do we know where the veterans goes when they leave? Type of businesses?

HL3.exe

Yes, that is quite intereseting. At the same time its nice to see the business attract new talent. They are in there somewhere. Still, the mix between veterans and new ones are still good.

Do we know where the veterans goes when they leave? Type of businesses?
From what I've heard, they transfer into another tech jobs with better pay or has better protections. But I've heard this a few years ago.

Game dev burnout is a real thing. That's why crunch mitigation should be a thing in all companies, stress does not make a better project, it only creates rushed/hacked together products.

Last edited:
Top Bottom