• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu/Famitsu: New Etrian Mystery Dungeon details (+ gameplay footage)

Nachos

Information's been floating around since yesterday, but I couldn't find any new threads.

mGkiHJX.jpg

Via Gematsu (and GAF user Pepsiman):
Pepsiman/Thomas James said:
...Characters are then taken into randomly generated dungeons whereby the objective is to reach their inner depths. Only the leader of the party is directly controlled by the player, however, although the others will still attack and provide support. As has been the case with the Mystery Dungeon games from the very beginning, every time players take a turn, whether it’s move a space on the map, attack, or do some other action, enemies then proceed to take theirs and the cycle continues from there. As a result of the randomly generated layouts, each floor will also have different rooms that can be visited, with the overall scale of each area gradually getting bigger and bigger as players make progress.

In addition, scans of Famitsu are out and reveal the following:
  • The game features classes from all of the mainline series games: EO1 (medic, protector, hexer), EO2 (gunner), EO3 (ninja, prince/princess), and EO4 (landsknecht, dancer, runemaster).
  • Each class receives a male and female representative, which each get four different alternate colors. Some alternate colors are brand new, while others are references to other Etrian classes and even other Atlus characters (Jack Frost gunner receives a Moh Shuvuu alt).
  • Status screens look virtually identical to the ones from proper Etrian titles – this means that you have five core stats, an attack and defense indicator, and four slots for armor.
  • Skill progression appears to be identical to the type in EO4 – there are tiers of skills that can unlock after reaching a level threshold.
  • Characters visibly change depending on the weapon they're holding
  • A carnival ringleader-themed dark hunter named Risley will offer items within the dungeons.

EDIT: In addition Atlus recently published four gameplay videos to the official website (1, 2, 3, 4).

The first showcases class selection, the second shows actual combat, the third shows level progression, and the fourth shows dungeon traps and Risley.

Leave me stranded in the dungeon without an Ariadne Thread if old.

Oh man, the game has all my favorite classes and all the news sounds amazing, I can't wait to know more about the game and get my hands on it.

We better get it, Atlus USA.

KarmaCow

So you only have direct control over the leader while the other party members move around and attack on their own in battle?

This sounds exactly what I wanted it to be. I'm happy at the character selection, but wished that imperials from EO4 got in. But Gunner and Runemaster? I'm happy still. Party customisation sounds pretty good, all those new colours <3
And best of all I love visible changes in RPGs with new gear, it makes me feel like I'm progressing.

I'm looking forward to this a lot. I can see me getting many hours from it.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Hard to tell from this what sort of penalties the game inflicts for death, if any. The addition of skill trees suggests you don't revert to L1 upon death.

rpmurphy

So you only have direct control over the leader while the other party members move around and attack on their own in battle?
Yes. At any point, you can change who is the leader, but the rest of your party will be AI-controlled.

Hard to tell from this what sort of penalties the game inflicts for death, if any. The addition of skill trees suggests you don't revert to L1 upon death.
I'd imagine they'll probably put in a Final Dungeon of sorts for that kind of challenge.

Nachos

Yeah, I've never touched a Mystery Dungeon game, but after she explained her fascination with the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, my friend really talked me into trying one of them. Now, I'm just wondering if this will have more casualized concessions like those games have, or if this will be closer to what I've heard of Shiren the Wanderer.

rpmurphy

Yeah, I've never touched a Mystery Dungeon game, but after she explained her fascination with the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, my friend really talked me into trying one of them. Now, I'm just wondering if this will have more casualized concessions like those games have, or if this will be closer to what I've heard of Shiren the Wanderer.
You should really play Shiren DS. It's not hard to find and it is a very good place to get into the series for a beginner. It's also challenging and fun for experts when you get to the trap, food, and final dungeons.

Top Bottom