• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genres/Stories that could benefit from the AAA “cinematic” experience?

While sitting watching Creed I thought to myself “why do cinematic games only focus on the action genre?” A cinematic game where you played a boxer or a doctor where you either play their relative profession in unique ways outside of “see baddie kill baddie”, would be unique and creative. Death stranding did it with the delivery aspect and it didn’t work for everyone but the risk made it worth it. What are some unique genres, fields, stories that would be cool to get the high production cinematic experience ?

Topher

Gold Member
pong GIF

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
While sitting watching Creed I thought to myself “why do cinematic games only focus on the action genre?” A cinematic game where you played a boxer or a doctor where you either play their relative profession in unique ways outside of “see baddie kill baddie”, would be unique and creative. Death stranding did it with the delivery aspect and it didn’t work for everyone but the risk made it worth it. What are some unique genres, fields, stories that would be cool to get the high production cinematic experience ?
They don't. Cinematic rewards were a thing in the very early days. You completed a mission you got a render or cutscene. In rtses turn based rpgs etc.

They don't. Cinematic rewards were a thing in the very early days. You completed a mission you got a render or cutscene. In rtses turn based rpgs etc.
A cinematic game isn’t the same thing as a “cinematic”. Many non cinematic games have cut scenes but every game isn’t trying to recreate the film experience within the game play. Rts doesn’t have slow walking over the shoulder sections expanding dialogue with perfectly cut set pieces. I’d love to see non combative stories take this approach. Imagine a cinematic game focused on the slow moments like we saw in the opening section of uncharted 4, you still get character drama but you’d have to make the mundane moment ls creatively interesting.

WitchHunter

Banned
A cinematic game isn’t the same thing as a “cinematic”. Many non cinematic games have cut scenes but every game isn’t trying to recreate the film experience within the game play. Rts doesn’t have slow walking over the shoulder sections expanding dialogue with perfectly cut set pieces. I’d love to see non combative stories take this approach. Imagine a cinematic game focused on the slow moments like we saw in the opening section of uncharted 4, you still get character drama but you’d have to make the mundane moment ls creatively interesting.
Well how can you turn an rts game with a birds eye view camera into a cinematic rts? You can but you won't see the fine details. Or you zoom in when a story part comes and then zoom out? That's essentially a cgi or a render, just made with ingame engine.

Mr Hyde

Not necessarily an story that needs "cinematic" experience but I would like a big budget "A nightmare on Elm Street" now that SSD is a thing. It would be cool to have it seamlessly switch between the real world and the nightmare realm, being chasen down by Freddy.

It's not a far fetched idea. Capcom has made it a staple in RE to be chased down by an immortal enemy, but one game that had me thinking more about how Freddy Krueger could be introduced to the player in an unexpected way was The Evil Within, particularly the chapter inside Ruviks mansion and where Ruvik is slipping in and out of reality to chase you around. It was tense as fuck, not knowing when he was gonna appear. Something similar could work for A nightmare on Elm Street.

With Killer Klowns from Outer Space coming back, and Friday the 13th already done, it would be awesome to have a game based on Freddy and Elm Street. But as a single player experience. Not multiplayer.

Come back to us Freddy, the bastard son of a hundred maniacs.

a nightmare on elm street horror GIF

I want a semi-serious inner city GTA-like game that focuses on black gang violence and has something meaningful to say ---- think GTA:SA but less satire and more serious.

These days, however, no dev would come within 400 kilometres of a concept like this, because the spoilled middle-class shits on Era, and Kotaku would scream "cultural appropriation!"

Fuck em, I say. I want my cinematic "Boyz n the Hood" game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’d love to see non combative stories take this approach. Imagine a cinematic game focused on the slow moments
I’m already getting sick of that, why would I want it on genres that doesn’t need it? It just waste of money and resource.

samoilaaa

would you people stop it with the cinematic experience ? ffs because of you games are the way they are these days

you want cinematic experience go to a cinema and watch a movie , i cant believe that in this day and age even boss fights are interupted by cutscenes , level design made for braindead people , constant handholding

bitbydeath

Sifu would fit what you’re looking for.

Top Bottom