• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

If you want to watch "Alien" on Blu Ray, you get 2 versions to choose from. "Close Encounters" gets you 3. "Blade Runner" gives you a whole boatload of different versions. The problem isn't that there's changes, but that you're not getting the same choices that other releases offer. So while it's a shiny new release, it falls short of the sort of "ultimate edition" that other movies are getting on Blu Ray. We all knew it was coming, but it's frustrating just the same.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
HammerOfThor said:
Actually most of these changes looks like their for the better.

Correct me if I'm wrong though or looked over something.

It's also been confirmed that one the new changes in the Blu-ray is CG Yoda replacing the crappy puppet in TPM.

Big-E

GrotesqueBeauty said:
George Lucas is a sad little man with an embarrassing hard on for CGI. Either all his early successes were flukes (or more likely the result of surrounding himself with more talented people), or middle age has been infinitely cruel, changing him from a young visionary into the biggest sellout whore in the history of cinema.

I am thinking it is more surrounding himself with talent and not allowing computers to destroy everything.

zomgbbqftw said:
Sleeping dogs lying etc...
But what if as they lie, there's like, some big bad ass dewbacks stomping across the background. And maybe we could ad an extra etherial shine to the dog's fur, symbolizing it's dream state. Or maybe a thought bubble the morphs into a big dog bone representing the dog's inner desires. You know, something tasteful that adds to the old idiom.

MattKeil said:
Due next year in theaters.

It will be gigantic. People who were kids in 1999 are just old enough to be hitting childhood nostalgia mode.

Plus it's the best of the prequels. I don't care what anyone says, pod racing was fun.

zomgbbqftw said:
Sleeping dogs lying etc...
sleeping dogs don't make money and take advantage of your desperately nostalgic and the definition-of-insanity dumb fanbase. Doesn't help that Lucas is one, it appears, himself.

GaimeGuy said:
Jar Jar getting drunk at Mos Eisley in ep 4, still despairing over pushing for the clone army

As long as this happens when he's there I'll consider it a worthy addition:

wZ4tN.jpg

Boba Fett appears in every single scene now. Even jump-cuts great distances away, and at times that don't make any sense.

He spends most of the prequel trilogy just wandering into frame, looking lost.

The credits are projected onto his visor.

Suairyu

Banned
Wait, I thought in the main thread people were complaining it was an identical master to the DVD version, digital artifacts, incorrect colour timing and all.

Qwomo

If he actually makes quality changes like the Adywan Fan Edit, I approve. There are plenty of things to change in the original Star Wars films. The Death Star battle in Episode IV could be spruced up, for one.

However, if he adds CG monsters everywhere I will not approve, not one bit.

richiek said:
It's also been confirmed that one the new changes in the Blu-ray is CG Yoda replacing the crappy puppet in TPM.

Well thats okay I guess. Not like anyone is really going to be watching it to notice....

B.K.

thezerofire said:
Wait what? Episode I 3D? What the fuck?

They're working on converting all the movies to 3D. Episode I is going to be released next year and the plan is to release one movie per year until the entire series has been released in 3D.

Karkador said:
All the stormtroopers' heights corrected by CG.

They won't do that. They'll just add a scene where Palpatine tells Vader that they're out of clones, so they've started recruiting regular people to be Stormtroopers.

Suairyu

Banned
Qwomo said:
If he actually makes quality changes like the Adywan Fan Edit...
If we're talking about the guy who inserted Duel of Fates into inappropriate moments and added that awful CG expansion on Alderan's explosion then fuck no.

The problem with all such additions is that it clashes so horrifically with the gorgeous practical effects. I just watched Blade Runner on blu ray for the whatever'th time last night and that thing still looks real - because it is. Star Wars did so much practically that none of the CG additions Lucas or Ady-Lucas-lite-Wan made work at all.

Qwomo

Suairyu said:
If we're talking about the guy who inserted Duel of Fates into inappropriate moments and added that awful CG expansion on Alderan's explosion then fuck no.
We're not.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Qwomo said:
You don't know what you're talking about.

Please. I've seen the guy's work. It's funny how you accept one version of revisionism, while rejecting another.

Suairyu

Banned
Qwomo said:
That is a joke he posted to his youtube channel and isn't in his ANH cut, clearly.
He kept tweaking that shit that I never followed past a certain point. Fair enough if I was mistaken. He totally added Duel Of Fates in inappropriate moments though.

Actually, on another note - nobody ask me where I read this, but I distinctly remember reading that Episode II was shot on HD cameras as less than 1080p resolution. I've always wondered how they'd address this when it came time to blu ray master.

I just want the technical issues fixed, effects improved/modernized and changing it back to Han shooting first. I'm fine with keeping all the other 2004 shit.

MEMO

To: Undisclosed recipients

Date: 22nd August 2011

Subject: Star Wars 2011/12 Star Wars Special Editions.

Dear Friends and Colleagues

Once more I have viewed our earlier works, the original Star Wars films, and once more I find them lacking. The level of action, of pacing, and continuity pales in comparison to our prequel trilogy, which I'm sure you'll agree were our defining works.

As such, I've come up with a list of proposed changes that we're going to explore, to improve the original movies and give them a chance to stand alongside their modern counterparts.

The following are the major insertions, and are sure to be the most expensive. The attached zip archive (with the usual password) contains the 1,457 minor changes that shouldn't be too much hassle.

Star Wars: Episode IV

-Renaming the movie from "A New Hope" to "The Imperial Menace" to give a long-missing sense of symmetry to the movie titles.

-The opening scene is to be a huge spacebattle over a rebel stronghold, the biggest battle we've ever seen. Leia's ship flees the battle and arrives ar Coruscant persued by 36 Star Destroyers and 12 Super Star Destroyers. Minor dialogue changes will support this new action

-C3PO will now mention that he is fed up of having his mind wiped, and turn to face the audience in a brave fourth-wall moment that that fans will love. We're thinking of changing his design so he can wink at the audience.

-When R2 and C3PO get into the escape pod, we're going to see the Force ghost of Quin Gon Jin pulling the lever that launches it to Tatooine.

-When the stormtroopers storm Leia's ship, their weapons fire is going to ignite the rebel troops, just like it does to General Greivous in Episode 3.

-Darth Vader will now stun Leia with Force Lightning.

-When Leia is stunned, she will yell "father" and we will cut to an extended flashback of her and Bail Organa, as he explains to her that her mother died very young.

-In the flashback there will be another flashback to Padme dying.

-In this flashback there will be another flashback to Padme meeting the young Anakin. The camera will zoom into Anakin's shadow which will then cut back to the present, and the image of Darth Vader.

-When the escape pod crashes on Tatooine, it will now land in a field of baby Sarlaccs, and there will be an amusing sequence in which R2 and C3PO must make their way out. The Force ghost of Mace Windu appears to help them.

-When the sand people find R2 and C3PO, one of them will comment "This one has had his memories erased" just to hit home why he doesn't remember the previous movies.

-When we first meet Luke, he wakes up having a Force Dream in which Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus and Darth Sidious are standing around his bed laughing. They all then unleash their red lightsabres and slice towards him. Luke wakes at the last second.

-When Luke looks up at the twin suns, we're going to include a sky full of CG creatures. I have a vision of some sort of flying birdmen that liven that shit up a bit.

-When they purchase the droids, we're going to have the Force ghost of Ki-Adi-Mundi using his force powers from behind Luke, making him choose R2 and C3PO.

-When Darth Vader is interrogating Princess Leia in her cell, we're going to give the interrorgation robot a cute voice to make this scene a little more family friendly.

-When R2 goes to find Obi Wan, Jabba the Hutt's barge flies past.

-When the sand people surround Luke and the robots, one of them says (subtitled) "This one looks like the son of the one who murdered our cousin tribe".

-When Obi Wan appears, in a moment that's going to knock the audiences socks off, it will be Ewan McGregor playing him, aged with CG work.

-There will be a new scene on Coruscant in which Emperor Palpatine uses Force lightning to kill all of the senators in the senate chamber. When they're all dead, he will say "Senate disbanded."

-There will be a new scene on Dagobah in which Yoda is visibly upset over what has happened. He then looks to a photo of him and Chewbacca together.

-This blends into Chewbacca and Han at the Mos Eisley Cantina. In a really clever bit of continuity, Watto sees them and goes to a screen, activates it and says to Jabba the Hutt that he has found them and expects a reward.

-There will be a new scene in which Jabba dispatches Greedo to get Han. Some minor dialogue changes will cover the continuity of this.

-When Obi Wan and Luke return to his uncle's ranch, we're removing the charred bodies. Instead the Force ghost of Yaddle will inform them what has happened. This is far more family friendly.

-Obi Wan and Luke travel to Mos Eisely and in a huge camera pan we will see that a Pod Race is happening.

-In the "You don't need to see my identification" bit, Obi Wan will now use the force to make a rock hit each of the stormtroopers on the back of their heads knocking them out.

-There will be three musical numbers in the Catina, one of which will have a dance sequence.

-In the scene in which Greedo shoots Han, we're going to cut to Obi Wan, who it becomes evident is using the Force to ensure Greedo misses Han.

-We're going to insert new dialogue following the "under twelve parsecs" line in which Han will explain how a parsec is an impressive feat under the distance measurement of the Kessel run, and further convey what I was expressing with this scene.

-The meeting on the Death Star will have more Force lightning used on the Admiral challenging Darth Vader's "sorcerers ways". We're changing the line "I find your lack of faith disturbing" to "I find your lack of faith shocking" to support this.

-The scene will now be extended to include a hologram of Emperor Palpatine, who will now be the one to order Vader to "Release him".

CONTINUED ON MEMO PAGE 2. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

hahahahahahahaahahahaha
OMG nothing will stop him!!!
oh shit!
ah
ooohh

totally not buying this

Megalodactyl said:
Seriously George, this is too much, you are pushing away your core fans!
you already have! tell your sister, you were right!

shuri

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
how is there not one 35mm print from the original run in the wild?
I remember reading how super hardcore Lucasart is about this.. like they send guys to get the prints back themselves once the run is done; theaters are essentially just renting them; its a simplified explanation, but I do remember reading about that.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't care as long as:
Han shoots first
Kray Dragon scream is the original one
There are no fucking color timing errors. Pink saber for Vader... dear god that looked horrible. And any other techincal shit 2004 versions have.
Original versions or 97' versions are available.

djm

Megalodactyl said:
Seriously George, this is too much, you are pushing away your core fans!
What? The "core fan" of Star Wars has been anyone under the age of 16 for awhile now. I lament these changes like anyone else, but it's been apparent for a long time (since around the last prequel) that they are pushing for the younger market. Old man Star Wars fan isn't going to make them the big bucks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
but it's been apparent for a long time (since around the last prequel) that they are pushing for the younger market.

since around 1977 maybe...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Surprised noone's brought up this part at the bottom of the article, as Muren details the major long-term goal all the major vfx houses are trying to outrace each other to achieve:

On a side note, I had the chance to ask Muren what he thought about the advance of CG for visual effects and if he missed working with physical models. He said that he did, but that the old way of doing things "hit a wall in the 1980s and 90s. We took those techniques as far as they could go." CG, he says, is really just another tool that extends what can be achieved. "The goal is does it look real?" I also asked him if he thought there were some things that just weren't possible even with CG, noting The Hulk as an example of a visual that's difficult to sell to audiences - a 10 foot tall green guy is just never going to look real. Dennis suggested that he didn't so much think it was impossible, just extremely hard. "You know, if you painted a real guy green and photographed him, you'd believe he was really there. Some things we just haven't quite gotten right yet."

He also noted that one day, we'll see a completely convincing, all CG-created human character carry an entire movie... but that day is probably still many years off. "It'll happen eventually, but it's just very, very difficult." He added an interesting follow-up to that, revealing that a lot of big-name Hollywood actors had themselves digitally-scanned about ten years ago, thinking that by doing so, they could continue appearing in films looking young even as they aged... but that nothing has really come of it yet because the technology just isn't there yet. Fascinating.

Qwomo

XiaNaphryz said:
Surprised noone's brought up this part at the bottom of the article, as Muren details the major long-term goal all the major vfx houses are trying to outrace each other to achieve:
The Jar Jar Chronicles

shira

XiaNaphryz said:
Xia, how hard/expensive would it be to take a totally digital character like JarJar or Greivous and "upgrade" with current gen techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom