• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/16/524159953/georgia-democrats-6th-district-jon-ossoff

"It's just so wonderful to have a potential for a progressive Democrat to capture the district, and to send a message that we don't approve of the Trump agenda and the direction he's taking the country in," Bruce Johnson said as he gathered at Jon Ossoff's campaign office on Saturday morning to begin knocking on doors ahead of Tuesday's vote.

Trump sounding desperate? They won Kansas by 7 points.... 7! That was a +30 district. Oh man, please let this be the first upset in a red district.

C9sQXMQXUAAbjbn.jpg
C9sQXMPWsAAhXef.jpg
C9sQXMRXoAAlqE3.jpg
C9sQXMRXcAAum74.jpg

Yeah, and the rest of the republicans here in GA don't do shit for the people because the state has always been red. Hope it's a big upset.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
They should come back straight at Repubicans --
They want to destroy the earth, got into a war etc

Yeah, but they don't hit back like that for some reason. There is plenty of ammo they could use, but decide not to use it.

I'm hopeful, but after Trump I'm afraid of letting my expectations get ahead of me. All the GA going purple talk was bullshit in the end. Osoff has a shot though.

rjinaz

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/16/524159953/georgia-democrats-6th-district-jon-ossoff

Trump sounding desperate? They won Kansas by 7 points.... 7! This is a +30 district. Oh man, please let this be the first upset in a red district.

Ah, I remember it wasn't that long ago people actually thought Trump was a Democrat in disguise because occasionally he would mention healthcare for everybody or what have you and then of course Ivanka will influence him!

Now he just parrots the rhetoric like the rest of them. Though maybe that's a good thing because people can no longer hold out hope he's anything but a Republican.

numble

So... National Dems are going to help this time... right?

This is an R+12 district, just the primary, and Ossoff is polling at 42%, a lower number than the 46% that the Democrat got in Kansas. National Dems should save their money for a closer race or the actual runoff election. /s

andthebeatgoeson

So... National Dems are going to help this time... right?
John Lewis has been running ads for him.
But Republicans have been using Nancy Pelosi as their scapegoat. Blaming 'Washington liberals' as their target. With the bump in the Republican early voting, it probably worked.

legacyzero

Banned
This is an R+12 district, just the primary, and Ossoff is polling at 42%, a lower number than the 46% that the Democrat got in Kansas. National Dems should save their money for a closer race or the actual runoff election. /s

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee had invested resources into this race:

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/15/520216794/democrats-eye-georgia-special-election-to-test-2018-messages

Nice. Even if we lose, I'm content with this.

But Republicans have been using Nancy Pelosi as their scapegoat. Blaming 'Washington liberals' as their target. With the bump in the Republican early voting, it probably worked.
Ugh.. Pelosi. Such an easy target. She's terrible.

shem935

Banned

The actual difference being he has been the front runner for a while and is polling at the front of the pack in a crowded field at 42%. Turnout and enthusiasm matters the first time around as most think this is his best shot. The comparisons to Kansas are moot. Ossoff actually has a shot at winning. Thompson didn't. Yes the DCCC should have supported thompson, they probably slept on the race because kansas, but that is not the issue here. The issue is the special election tomorrow.

legacyzero

Banned
They are putting money into the race, yes. But money doesn't win races by itself, volunteers help more than anything. If you want to help sign up to phone bank: http://go.electjon.com/page/s/web-v...HP_FIELD_2017.04.03_X_volunteer-web_X__X__ntl
Yep! Did some volunteering for Bernie in SW Wisconsin last year. Mostly for his rally here. Was a good time
The actual difference being he has been the front runner for a while and is polling at the front of the pack in a crowded field at 42%. Turnout and enthusiasm matters the first time around as most think this is his best shot. The comparisons to Kansas are moot. Ossoff actually has a shot at winning. Thompson didn't. Yes the DCCC should have supported thompson, they probably slept on the race because kansas, but that is not the issue here. The issue is the special election tomorrow.
Yep. 2016 and the Rust Belt tells us that we can't assume shit. Even polls should be up for question. We did barely anything in those areas and got our asses kicked.

RPGCrazied

Wow, this guy is like 30 years old. Would he be the youngest if he won? This is what we need, young, new faces. The old guard needs to go.

So is this part of the reason Trump has transformed into a neocon overnight? His transformation started around the same time that Kansas race got close no? All the GOP seems to care about is maintaining their gerrymandered stranglehold of the House so these special elections being so competitive must terrify them. If gerrymandering fails what's next for them?

Wow, this guy is like 30 years old. Would he be the youngest if he won? This is what we need, young, new faces. The old guard needs to go.

North Carolina has a rising star in his early 30's as well. Millenials are coming for your jobs Boomers. Time to retire and get out of the way.

shem935

Banned
So is this part of the reason Trump has transformed into a neocon overnight? His transformation started around the same time that Kansas race got close no? All the GOP seems to care about is maintaining their gerrymandered stranglehold of the House so these special elections being so competitive must terrify them. If gerrymandering fails what's next for them?

Assuming greater strategic planning, other than he got talked to by more neocons than white nationalists the last couple weeks, is seriously overthinking it. Bannon lost a lot of influence in the whitehouse around the time trump flip flopped.

Yeah this will be a good enough barometer to see where the next general election stands.

Democrats need to start making a few upsets of their own and stop taking the Ls

mcfrank

Ossoff has no shot at getting over 50%. This is going to end with Democrats losing but saying "hey see we are making headwind".

It is bullshit to say he has no shot at getting 50%. It is unlikely, but not impossible.

ForecasterEnten: The polling story right now in GA-6. W/ an average like this, we'd expect Ossoff to get over 50% roughly 30% of the time. (Sound familiar?) pic.twitter.com/6BwrY7sodl

We just saw a KS congressional district which swung 23pts more democratic than a few months ago with far fewer resources put into it.

C9OAKnfXYAA9ux4.jpg

zelas

To those who don't quite understand that National Dems don't have unlimited resources and thus need to focus on their best shots:

Trump won that Kansas district by 27 pts. He won this Geoorgia district by a percent after Romney carried it by 24.

legacyzero

Banned
He's not asking what you did for Sanders, he's asking you to help Ossoff.
I was agreeing with his point on volunteering.... sooo?
I appreciate your help on reading comprehension though.

To those who don't quite understand that National Dems don't have unlimited resources and thus need to focus on their best shots:

Trump won that Kansas district by 27 pts. He won this Geoorgia district by a percent after Romney carried it by 24.
I don't really think anybody is disputing that. I think everybody is wanting to see ANY movement from national Dems to prove that they're building momentum to the mid-terms and GE. Seeing the DNC do nothing is unacceptable

Ugh.. Pelosi. Such an easy target. She's terrible.

Pelosi is fantastic at her job and we should all be thankful we have her given who the Republicans currently have for a Speaker.

Unfortunately, people on both sides have bought into the right wing myths about her! Sounds familiar.

Yep, Trump only won the district by 1.5% after it was regularly 20+ R in presidential vote. It was always going to be a target - even better that Trump made Tom Price his Secretary of HHS

RPGCrazied

I just want one win damn it. Nothing has gone our way since Trump becoming President. This would be a much needed morale boost if we can win this district.

numble

By your logic they should also neglect Montana and South Carolina and focus on the inevitable Georgia run-off.

I think it is fair to say that (even if you must admit it in hindsight) that a candidate that gets 46% on his own probably deserves support. Ossoff is polling under 46% for tomorrow and around under or around 46% for a head-to-head runoff.

Democrats have been sending staffers down to GA-6 for weeks and have made a huge fundraising push for this district. Arguably too much! In the last quarter, Ossoff raised more money than the Romeny 5 red state Senators combined.

By your logic they should also neglect Montana and South Carolina and focus on the inevitable Georgia run-off.

I think it is fair to say that (even if you must admit it in hindsight) that a candidate that gets 46% on his own probably deserves support. Ossoff is polling under 46% for tomorrow and around under or around 46% for a head-to-head runoff.

Please point me to polls suggesting Thompson was getting 46% of the vote. His momentum was late and the national party getting involved likely hurts him more than anything.

(Special election polling is very unreliable, fwiw)

mcfrank

I just want one win damn it. Nothing has gone our way since Trump becoming President. This would be a much needed morale boost if we can win this district.

Nothing? Travel ban over turned twice. Obamacare is still the law of the land. We have had some wins and will continue to have wins.

Watching most of Trump's big campaign promises fail spectacularly all within the first few months is a positive at least. Members of his crazy and corrupt administration are slowly getting purged as well.

numble

Democrats have been sending staffers down to GA-6 for weeks and have made a huge fundraising push for this district. Arguably too much! In the last quarter, Ossoff raised more money than the Romeny 5 red state Senators combined.

Please point me to polls suggesting Thompson was getting 46% of the vote. His momentum was late and the national party getting involved likely hurts him more than anything.

(Special election polling is very unreliable, fwiw)

I said even in hindsight.

I don't agree that providing resources hurts a candidate. Only if you are not smart about what resources you provide.

Assuming greater strategic planning, other than he got talked to by more neocons than white nationalists the last couple weeks, is seriously overthinking it. Bannon lost a lot of influence in the whitehouse around the time trump flip flopped.
That's probably a much better explanation. Yet all I keep hearing from conservatives is about how "strong" he is :/

You're ignoring an important factor here - the strength of the Democratic party in these respective states. GA Dems are organized, well-funded, and are on the verge of having the numbers to flip the state. KS Dems don't have any of those advantages. The result there was remarkable and should be an eye opener, but I think it's incorrect to assume that the national Democratic party should have been bullish on how that race would turn out.

theWB27

Ummm Yeah, referring to a guy in Georgia as a peach is a quick way to get punched in the face.

A Georgia peach is a woman 100% of the time.

I'm referring to Georgia because it's the state fruit. Plain and simple. Stop trying to create something that clearly isn't there. Who cares if someone will punch you...I'm not talking directly to a Georgian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom