• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a bad film.

A bad comedy.

I can think of nothing redeeming in it.

There were moments I cringed whilst watching it.

Base across the board.

If you want a barometer of this films weird desire to feel like the old film whilst trying to be new, the music is a good indicator. For them to use both the original musical stings and newly produced music and theme. Too scared not to use the theme and the expected stings (opening scene crescendo) but on top of using the old they have an edgy, new version too. Neither felt at home in this film. Very little of anything did.

The obsession with gadgets in the new film struck me as very shallow. The original had cool stuff but it was window dressing. The car, the uniforms, the traps and proton packs were great but they weren't the only thing of importance. They were actually icing on the top of a brilliant sarcastic, character driven comedy film. And those props and the film elevated each other. But the films visual iconography isn't needed to make the original a good film. The second one lost some of that. It became about the brand, cultivated by the cartoon and public awareness. The first film is such a scattergun of great ideas. II lost that "lightning in a bottle" quality. And had a "doing it for the money by the numbers" conventional nature. Which is batty when you consider who the first film goes form paranormal investigation to stopping a god in one film.

This new film has nothing close to the passion and creativity.

Schlorgan

I could not give that review enough thumbs up. Don't constantly mug to the cameras, have coherent and consistent characters, and for god sakes know when to have to your actors shut the fuck up.

And another thing, don't respond to your haters, just make a good movie to put them in their place.

I was so excited for this movie when it was announced, but that excitement died with the first trailer and nothing I've seen has brought it back.

Dalek

So I watched that Comicbookgirl19 video and it was predictably idiotic. I was going to say she sounds like conspiracy theorist but she literally believes that people who like this movie are lying. I don't having anything against her personally but I can't see how anyone has respect for a person that says such ignorant stuff.

Dislike movie all you want but this is just dumb.

Internet/YouTube reviewers. Says it all.

Monocle

Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the crazy one? Crazy people don't realize that there crazy usually. lol
Examples of people who are crazy but don't know they're crazy:
Trump Voters
SW Prequel Fans/Defenders
Ghostbusters 2016 Fans/Defenders

Improvement Idea #1
Leslie Jones should have been the main character.
I'm sorry but to equate the third to the first two is utterly delusional.

Schlorgan

"It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen." - Mike Stoklasa

"Mike, it's not a piece of shit. It's a giant fucking pile of garbage." - Rich Evans

"I would say it was better than the first Pixels" - Jay Bauman

There's your back of the box quotes for the home release.

Itsgonnabegreat.gif

scitek

I hated this movie. I thought the jokes fell flat, the acting was bad, the CG was surprisingly poor, and the cameos were embarrassing. Just all around one of the worst movies I've seen this year.

TheFlow

Banned
People going out of their way to save face after dissing the reboot smh. Just another average reboot that will most likely get an sequel too.

People going to hate on the all women cast which sucks

Do women find the fuckboy nerd villain to be compelling? Threatening?

Another name people call them is the "angry white nerd" villain.

I don't get these types of villains.

Except they love the new Mad Max and Star Wars, so this is a moot point.
Fury Road isn't a remake, and it's made by the same director as every other Mad Max movie, so not sure why you brought that up.

And the new Star Wars is a sequel with multiple characters/actors continuing from the original trilogy.

Oh shit I forgot they enjoyed the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie too. Yeah, really moot point now.

The Trek movie d the funniest because I've seen it held up as how to reboot right.

I can't wrap my mind around that.

The entire time travel conceit was so bloody unnecessary that it frankly distracted from the movie. They did massive changes to the Prime Universe and then fucked off into the Kelvin one forever.

Not to mentionthey literally had to redefine how time travel works in Star Trek to reassure people that the Prime universe wasn't destroyed

Movie is fine but old Spock and the entire intro are completely unnecessary

The Trek movie os the funniest because I've seen it held up as how to reboot right.

I can't wrap my mind around that.

The entire time travel conceit was so bloody unnecessary that it frankly distracted from the movie.

Movie is fine but old spock and the entire intro are completely unnecessary

The claim was that they hate and get angry at all reboots and I provided a specific example where they said they enjoyed a reboot. What more do you want?

If you wanna get technical, Star Trek 09 isn't a reboot either, it's a sequel. Just because it takes place in the past, creating a new timeline, doesn't make it a reboot. The movie literally starts in the original universe and then breaks off into its own via time travel. Sequel. ;p

The claim was that they hate and get angry at all reboots and I provided a specific example where they said they enjoyed a reboot. What more do you want?

I think I'm confused about what we're arguing.... I thought you were saying that Nudull's point was moot but I'm guessing you mean that the people flipping out about this movie's point is moot because they're clearly selective about what reboot makes them angry?

Am I right?

If you wanna get technical, Star Trek 09 isn't a reboot either, it's a sequel. Just because it takes place in the past, creating a new timeline, doesn't make it a reboot. The movie literally starts in the original universe and then breaks off into its own via time travel. Sequel. ;p

That's a good point. It's basically what Days of Future Past did

I think I'm confused about what we're arguing.... I thought you were saying that Nudull's point was moot but I'm guessing you mean that the people flipping out about this movie's point is moot because they're clearly selective about what reboot makes them angry?

Am I right?

My point was that Nudull claims that RLM has an anti-remake crusade, implying that they have and will continue to hate all remakes that come out, but I provided a specific example of them enjoying a remake. "Guilty Pleasure" sure, but they liked it nonetheless.

I mean I certainty wouldn't want to be above the footing of that argument. It is for all intents and purposes a remake.

My point was that Nudull claims that RLM has an anti-remake crusade, implying that they have and will continue to hate all remakes that come out, but I provided a specific example of them enjoying a remake. "Guilty Pleasure" sure, but they liked it nonetheless.

Ummm good thing Nudull was actually talking about Comic Book Girl 19 then... lmao

Saw this yesterday without reading anything about it. It was pretty bad. It started decent but just got worse as the film went on and the third act was some terrible cringe worthy shit. Going to be a while before the girlfriend let's me pick another movie.

I mean I certainty wouldn't want to be above the footing of that argument. It is for all intents and purposes a remake.

Oh absolutely, it's totally billed and marketed as a reboot. I was just saying, as far as the actual content/story goes it's really a sequel. But I was also just being a butthead :p

Trokil

Banned
gaffers have gone bye bye

This happens when everything is about politics, a movie can not be good or bad on its own anymore and of course people can almost find no common ground than anymore. People thinking this movies sucked big are just as often to find as people who liked it. But because all the baggage it's hard to even discuss.

That is why I also said, movie reviews should be about the movie and what is wrong or right with the movie, not about your world view or what you think, people should do. But of course it was not and it did not help in any way.

scoobs

Something tells me this RLM review will be more entertaining than the movie itself. I've been laughing out loud at work at my cubicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom