• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

Goodlife

Thats pretty good really, Nintendo has a weird relationship with the UK as well, the marketing in store at places like GAME has been so minimal as well

Was in 3 supermarkets over the weekend, no mention of the Switch at all in any of them.
Understandable, due to the mess that was the WiiU, but still doesn't help the situation, bit of a vicious circle

18-Volt

There is only one title UK really care about, FIFA, and it did wonders for PS4. Nintendo should have had EA make FIFA ready for launch and marketed it heavily in UK.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is only one title UK really care about, FIFA, and it did wonders for PS4. Nintendo should have had EA make FIFA ready for launch and marketed it heavily in UK.
Fifa 17 is already a half a year old... Makes more sense to just release Fifa 18 in six months. Especially with Nintendo's online not being ready yet and most ppl having already bought it on other systems.

pswii60

Didn't Switch sell out everywhere by the end of Friday? So I assume we're just looking at the stock allocation.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Honestly, it will sky rocket come Pokemon. Even your regular Joe's will go and buy a Switch for Pokemon, it's probably the strongest gaming brand ever made.

dc89

And a price cut please. This thing will otherwise not survive in the UK.

Which retailer will drop it first? And which month? Place your bets!

I'd like to see some sort of cut by May :lol. Only because thats when I could consider picking one up.

cw_sasuke

It's decent for the UK.
It's pretty good tbh... Wii is the only Nintendo console that had a stronger launch, that was during Holidays and all the Hype surrounding the system. It was also cheaper and included the must have title with Wii Sports.

So the results are pretty strong for Nintendo.

pswii60

Yup above 360 numbers too I believe.

360 stock in the UK was severely crippled at launch. Months worth of pre-orders weren't fulfilled, it was a nightmare.

But, as I said before, I'm pretty sure Switch was sold out everywhere by the end of Friday regardless.

LordKano

Didn't Switch sell out everywhere by the end of Friday? So I assume we're just looking at the stock allocation.

Not everywhere, it's not that bad, but there are some stock issues. I've heard France is getting more stock in mid-march so that may be the case in UK too.

noshten

It's not like Zelda is going to disappear in the next few weeks and Wii U released during the holiday season. Zelda's performance was limited by the console no doubt and there is not really a lot of Wii U owners to fall back on. Until MK8D drops I envision that Zelda will continue to have an absurdly high attach rate - it's just a question of how the Switch does beyond the launch week.
I still think it's a great launch for Nintendo in the UK. Now it's just a question if the system is able to remain relevant unlike the 3DS and Wii U's launch years.

In France since that was Nintendo France's expectations were 100k. So I do expect Switch to be around 350-400k opening in Europe overall. In the end two million by the end of March World Wide is definitely attainable with Zelda as a launch title.

Pretty decent, especially considering it's well outside the holiday launch range that the other consoles took advantage of.

Real test is gonna be how well the legs hold up though.

guit3457

If they sold 80K in the UK I want to know how many they sold in France...

Very good numbers. i hope we get a Nintendo statement about the sales launch soon

Bumhead

Banned
This will be supply limited to an extent.

I know it wasn't a total sellout nationally but it seems to be difficult to find online and regionally. As of right now I don't think it's possible to just walk into a store and buy one where I am. Stock checks at all the major retailers for both my city and the surrounding towns are all drawing a blank.

I think the Switch is going to do OK. The software situation (as it stand right now) might see some bad news over the summer but for Christmas this year and long term I think the system will do alright for itself.

Floody

More than the 360 seems like a good start, especially after the Wii U disaster. And that's pretty much it just getting carried by Zelda, no real major 3rd party stuff or any of Nintendo's mega hits like Mario or Pokemon, both of which will probably sell far more consoles than Zelda will. I think Nintendo is in a pretty good spot, just need to keep droughts to a minimum now.

That seems.. A bit weak.

Definitely not. Much better than the Wii U and the Gamecube, and even better than the 360. Supplies of the Switch were quite low too.

It's a good start for the console, but it's up to Nintendo to keep delivering. They need some big announcements very soon.

Was in 3 supermarkets over the weekend, no mention of the Switch at all in any of them.
Understandable, due to the mess that was the WiiU, but still doesn't help the situation, bit of a vicious circle
Yeah that's going to be a big fight going forward for them in the UK, my local Asda seems to have taken a punt with it and given them a single column of shelving space but it's much smaller than PS4 or xbone and right down the end.
I think what hurts them is that big UK retailers expect to be incentivised quite heavily for prime shelf space and so far at least Nintendo aren't playing the game as well as the others.

SCB3

Honestly, this is a good way to release a new console, wait til Xmas when you have Mario, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Skyrim, possibly a New Pokemon (Stars perhaps) and a Zelda complete edition amoungst anything else Nintendo have in store

cw_sasuke

Worse than 3DS is pretty bad considering this is first and foremost a handheld.
3DS had a strong launch, was cheaper and had full BC to the big DS library. (+initial 3D screen hype)

pswii60

Is stockinformer reliable ? I must admit I've never used it. I stand corrected if it's really sold out everywere. Making it a better launch than I expected.

You could still find a Switch easily in stores on Friday morning, and with a bit of hunting on Friday afternoon, so it wasn't the instant sell out we've seen at console launches of the past. But it was still near impossible to find one by the end of Friday.

I think people are forgetting that most of these other consoles launched just before the holiday shopping season. For a system that launches after the commercial failure that was the WiiU in a market that has long been difficult for Nintendo and in March - I think this is quite respectable.

Plum

Exactly what I expected, comfortably better than Nintendo's recent failures but nothing to really set the world on fire. MK8D is a little too late to not have a minor drop off imo, but hopefully once Splatoon 2, VC and Mario start dropping it'll pick up some good steam. This is, at the very least, not a failure.

Man that PS4 number will never be topped will it.
Its crazy what a freight train the PS4 has been, I didn't expect it in the UK after the 360's massive success.

Great news for Nintendo. Glad to be one of those 80,000, its a fantastic little system and Zelda is an absolute gem. I hope the hardware issues don't negatively damage public perception though.

Flintty

Decent enough, I suppose.

I wonder if the UK will ever warm up to NIntendo "again" (as if they ever were^^).

UK is no standard to measure anything by when it comes to Nintendo sales :)

I don't understand this comment. Nintendo were huge here in the 80s and early 90s. And we were very receptive to the Wii, obviously but that was admittedly more about the hardware than the brand name.

Them console wars at school though, they were real!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't know how to feel about this.

Beating Wii U doesn't sound like a big deal. It still fell short of dedicated handheld launches, which according to some is what Switch is. It also fell way short of Xbone and PS4 sales.

This is why third parties matter. Zelda has to carry the Switch on its own until late April, and that's just for a remaster. There's nothing to carry that launch momentum.

tzare

seems ok but not great. The problem is what happens next, when is the next big game? (and not sure if 'remastered' WiiU games will be enough)

80,000 has to been seen as a success for Nintendo in the UK because I can't for the life of me find a Switch console available online or for collection anywhere near me. It stands that if there were more consoles out they would have sold more. I remember the Wii U was readily available since launch; 40,000 was nowhere near the number of consoles available.
It only seems they were sold out today online. You could still order from the NUK store over the weekend.

LordKano

seems ok but not great. The problem is what happens next, when is the next big game? (and not sure if 'remastered' WiiU games will be enough)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a big game and will likely sell more than even Zelda. The fact that it released on Wii U before has no weight on this.
They're already marketing this one even though it's not releasing until late April.

AAMARMO

Banned
Pretty good numbers for not releasing in the holiday season compare to there other devices. Switch fate will soon be determined this holiday season.

Top Bottom