• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gi.biz: The Nintendo Switch indie gold rush

Cerium

They had a deal with Sony? On what did it consisted? If it was an exclusivity window, I can see how they had low priority when the devkits were scarce.

It was a marketing deal afaik, I'm not sure about the details. The game was certainly heavily associated with the Sony brand; it's even coming to Vita.

Oh neat. The Flame in the Flood is coming out on Switch on the 12th. Published by Curve, developed by ex-Bungie, Irrational and Harmonix devs.

LsvRfsy.jpg

Interfectum

I think indies will continue to thrive on Switch even when the eShop gets flooded. This system is absolutely perfect for most indie experiences.

AColdDay

I wonder if it was the deal with Sony that led Nintendo to prioritize other titles.

I follow Robert at Zeboyd here and on Twitter. From what I understood, they reached out to Nintendo but didn't really get a response back (or a vague non-response) in regards to dev kits. IIRC, the stated response was that they were trying to minimize ports.

That type of RPG is still lacking on the Switch, so I'm hopeful that they will get a port of it there eventually and get rewarded for their hard work. However, I'm beginning to wonder how much longer the gold rush window is going to be open.....

The_Lump

Banned
Huh, I never considered the Nindies branding clashing with the whole point of Indies (non affiliation with large developers) but now it seems obvious that it does. Oh well, don't think it does any harm and devs seem happy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Phamit

They had a deal with Sony? On what did it consisted? If it was an exclusivity window, I can see how they had low priority when the devkits were scarce.

It was a exclusivity window, but they said they would have needed the time anyway to Port it to another platform.

Huh, I never considered the Nindies branding clashing with the whole point of Indies (non affiliation with large developers) but now it seems obvious that it does. Oh well, don't think it does any harm and devs seem happy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The willingness to use that wordplay seems more like a willingness to throw marketing weight behind the titles, more than taking any ownership of them.

Robiin

Honestly the eshop is insanity at the moment, trying to keep up with getting everything I want on Switch is getting ridiculously expensive.

I purchased more games this month than ever in my life I think. Got an SD card for the Switch which was a Zelda and Mario+Rabbids machine and figured I would give the eshop a chance. Now I own:

Fast RMX
Sonic Mania
Thumper
Steamworld Dig 2
Picross S
Golf Story
Overcooked
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Stardew Valley
Axiom Verge
Volgarr The Viking

In addition to Splatoon, Zelda, Mario Rabbids and soon Odyssey, this year has been crazy and I've spent way more time with the Switch than I ever anticipated.

Salvadora

I think indie games will continue to benefit from the lack of (major) 3rd party support and gaps in 1st party titles beyond this year.

Increased competition, sure, but nowhere near PS4/XB1/PC.

Nintendo would do well to get some to retail.

Raven117

I mean...yeah....

Im just glad Nintendo saw this as an opportunity for them as they have historically been a little cold sholdery to other developers.

Indies on a handheld just makes perfect sense due to the nature of most indies...Enough sense that the "Nintendo Tax" is happily paid to have the convenience of a handheld.

So long as Nintendo continues to court great indies on their platform, releases their mega franchises, and get a few of those quirky smaller Japanese houses that developed for 3DS making games...maybe a large publisher or two...and they will have a monster on their hands.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have to say, I have bought more games (first party and indie) for my Switch since launch than I bought for WiiU in its first two years, if not three.

I have games I have bought and played only a couple of times (FAST, Shovel Knight, Jackbox, Snake Pass) but know that I can go back to them at a later date on a long trip.

I bought Golf Story the other night and that has tided me over to Stardew Valley today, and I'm still eager to sink my teeth into Yooka Laylee.

I don't see my appetite for new content on the Switch dying any time soon, whether I have time to play them or not.

sfried

YoYo Games are still working on getting Game Maker 2 support for the Switch.

What?

They are?

Does anybody have a link to this announcement that says something else other than "Please stay tuned for more information"?

Edit: Also thanks to the poster for bringing The Flame in the Flood to our attention. It looks great!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh neat. The Flame in the Flood is coming out on Switch on the 12th. Published by Curve, developed by ex-Bungie, Irrational and Harmonix devs.

This looks pretty awesome!

Also wanted to say that indies to me are a replacement for old school traditional handheld games. They seem to have similar design philosophies to games of that era and as a bonus they're coming from all over the world instead of just japan. They're a natural fit for the switch.

Glad to hear it. I bought my switch for Nintendo games and indies. Wife is playing stardew on it right now actually. It’s been a great purchase between that and golf story alone. Gonna jump on steam world next.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What?

They are?

Does anybody have a link to this announcement that says something else other than "Please stay tuned for more information"?

Edit: Also thanks to the poster for bringing The Flame in the Flood to our attention. It looks great!

Well, they have a roadmap where, for Q4 of 2017, they will work on adding additional platforms for GM2.

And right now, GameMaker Studio 2 allows you export your game directly to Windows desktop, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Android, iOS, fireTV, Android TV, Microsoft UWP, HTML5, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Which other platform they could add?
Vita

Unai

They should also have a section for what's trending/popular. Unless they have one already that is.

Isn't the best sellers just that? Or do you mean a list that is ordered by global play time instead of number of new owners?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This looks pretty awesome!

Also wanted to say that indies to me are a replacement for old school traditional handheld games.
They seem to have similar design philosophies to games of that era and as a bonus they're coming from all over the world instead of just japan. They're a natural fit for the switch.
Yes! Was thinking the same thing earlier this week :D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Axiom Verge seems to be doing "quite well"!

Source.
Awesome to hear, if you are indie right now you really wanna check out all possibilities to bring your game to Switch.

Crazy first year when it comes to the indie portfolio... And we still have 6 months to go.

shaneo632

I've been going through AAA exhaustion this year so the Switch being so indie-friendly is what convinced me to get one. Fucking love it.

Nintendo has really mismanaged the eShop
unacceptable

Its the Switch news section where games shine, not only at launch but later too in other news stories.

Fishing for games in an eShop is just so last gen, yhe eShop is reduced to something you can link to, but people being made aware of games elsewhere.

qko

Its the Switch news section where games shine, not only at launch but later too in other news stories.

Fishing for games in an eShop is just so last gen, yhe eShop is reduced to something you can link to, but people being made aware of games elsewhere.

I think was the news section that sold me on Gonner.

R00bot

My Switch games:
NBA 2k18
Minecraft
Steamworld Dig 2
Golf Story
Stardew Valley
Thumper
FAST Racing RMX

Only one AAA game (2 if you count Minecraft, I guess).
Indies are great on Switch. Cheap, impulse buys get me every time.

Top Bottom