• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb @ E3 2015 | L.A. on Lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I think Sony created an E3 event that would excite a specific but very vocal part of the gaming industry. Whether or not journalists care wasn't really their focus. Guess I think about Shahids recent presentation on doing things right vs doing the right thing. I'd say doing the right thing was giving these fans who constantly ask them about the trio of games we seen a presentation they'd go bananas over. #4thegamers not #4thepress or something like that...

GB do not deserve some of the crap thrown in here, just accept their ability to have views and move on. May just be that the gamers Sony wanted to excite aren't the gamers who are at GB. Shenmue for example caused meltdowns over at GT.

Real Hero

Not listened to their reaction yet but as someone who doesn't even own a PlayStation that conference felt legendery. Shame if they didn't like it

Noaloha

I feel like this is Youtube's fault. Looking at the most popular Youtube people, everything is extrem overreacting, be it fright, joy or anger.

I think they're related, maybe not the cause, dunno. Maybe just another displayed symptom of an otherwise wider cause. Like, Twitch also I think falls into a similar place. During darker nights, I often suspect large rabid swathes of Twitch's userbase cannot actually physically or mentally experience enjoyment unless it is accompanied by some fuckin.. groupthink-esque, all-caps, peer approved and clique-reinforcing chatspam down the right-hand side of the monitor. At times it can seem like a chicken and egg situation, but replaced with 'group-hype' and 'fun', which comes first for your average stereotypical Twitcher?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Smash had its own direct few days ago and smaller games like chibi robo had a direct a few days before that. They must be clearing the way for something

That's what I thought every year for the last three years or so. They tricked me every single time.
#metroidorbust

Myggen

Not listened to their reaction yet but as someone who doesn't even own a PlayStation that conference felt legendery. Shame if they didn't like it

They liked it and said a lot of positive things about it, but also brought up some negative points.

Anyways, I guess I'm just used to movie coverage in general being very much like GB. My favourite working movie critic, Wesley Morris, is an example of that: Generally always sceptical about something until he sees it, and even then demands a lot of films when he reviews them. That seems pretty normal among movie critics, which is probably why they also use the whole scale when they review movies as opposed to most gaming sites.

Mohonky

Heh, I love their cynicism, its what makes me laugh.

Damn some of you guys are uptight. I would rather watch these guys and their cynical but humorous jests than being bombarded by fanboys cheering and crying tears of joy over the usual stupid shit like how awesome it was watching someome get torn in half or the introduction of some new gimmicky mechanic or feature.

Game conventions are the worst in a lot of ways for how much circle jerking goes on, or people getting hurt that they didn't go ape shit over some peoples favourite manufacturers stuff.

Volotaire

I'ma skeptic for Nintendo this year, but grew a bit more optimistic after Sunday. Star Fox. I've been waiting for this for years. Do not mess this up Nintendo.

Square Enix is the most exciting. Hitman. Deus Ex. Just Cause 3. Tomb Raider. Hitman and Deus Ex alone are gigantic games.

Jintor

These days I think its best not to try predict Nintendo.

They are tossing ideas at the wall left and right now. It has no rime or reason and its wonderful to see.

and then they dive into the idea remnants and swim up the wall

man aisha tyler is so genuinely funny. she's gotta get better writers tho

Myggen

These days I think its best not to try predict Nintendo.

They are tossing ideas at the wall left and right now. It has no rime or reason and its wonderful to see.

Yeah, either Brad or Jeff said that they like Nintendo the most when they have their backs against the wall, and I agree. It's refreshing.

Jintor

i am really interested to see where hitman is going. I don't believe their words, but I'll believe their gameplay.

Maybe.

God signage in trackmania is rocking

jaina

and then they dive into the idea remnants and swim up the wall

man aisha tyler is so genuinely funny. she's gotta get better writers tho

I imagine she writes most of her presentation herself, based on some marketing phrases provided by Ubi. But her best jokes today were the off the cuff responses.

Hyped for the Nintendo presentation with GB. Hope to be surprised by more than Illusory Revelations and Paper Mario. I'll watch several reaction videos of it on youtube, so in the end I'll have 1. facts 2. GB fun commentary 3. GB industry insight 4. hype & excitement 5. opinions of people I disagree with.

Nottle

I'm excited for FFVII remake just because it can finally become the game everyone thinks it is.

I wonder how they will handle all the totally goofy and not cool stuff Cloud does during the first half of the game? I wonder if he and Squall will still have switched personalities.

Volotaire

It's full GT vs Giantbomb war now in the 'reaction videos' to FFVII /s.

I'm glad I can enjoy both outlets and both reactions (and more!).

Zoggy

remember that video of them playing windjammers where they get all excited to a crazy match finish, but instead of the windjammers footage someone put a my little pony clip in there?

i can't find it.

You guys gotta realize Giant Bomb has been covering E3 for a combined total of decades now and we've all gotten hyped for games that have been shown at E3 that turned out to be total fucking bummers... i.e. Watch Dogs. E3 is a marketing conference for business people loaded with corporate speak. I have no intention of buying a PS4 and sure, I got pretty giddy watching the Sony stuff play out, even the Shenmue announcement got a genuine kick out of me, but yeah. It's a kickstarter and a remake of a game with a heavy nostalgia overlay and not much in the way of exclusives for first party stuff.

If I had super fond memories of Shenmue I'm sure I'd be losing my shit like that GameTrailers guy, so I can't really blame him. But I also can't blame Giant Bomb for being the voice of reason when in proper context there wasn't anything that terribly mind blowing, and I say that as a man who is unbelievably excited for the new Ghost Recon announcement.

I wonder how they will handle all the totally goofy and not cool stuff Cloud does during the first half of the game? I wonder if he and Squall will still have switched personalities.

Given the teaser, I'm guessing a lot of the comedy will be toned down. Which is a shame - besides the crossdressing shit, anyway.

Curufinwe

MS losing the CoD relationship tells a very clear story about how this gen has gone and the importance of the monster 3rd party games, and Jeff acts like its no big deal and maybe MS didn't want it anymore anyway.

Bizarre.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
MS losing the CoD relationship tells a very clear story about how this gen has gone and the importance of the monster 3rd party games, and Jeff acts like its no big deal and maybe MS didn't want it anymore anyway.

Bizarre.

He specifically stated that it's what Microsoft want the public to think, which probably means he doesn't believe that NS didn't want it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If it's cynical to not get excited for some HD remake of a mediocre entry in a far too long running franchise that should've rebranded almost a decade ago and another short lived (and average) franchise getting its dying wish granted in the most half hearted way imaginable then I guess I'm being cynical as well... Or maybe I'm just tried, as a consumer, of being stroked off by company with more flash than substance.

If you don't like the coverage, stop watching. Go get in the bath house huddle in the reaction vid thread, they could always use the extra hand.

Bizarre.
Yeah, it is a weird one. I wonder if he thinks that MS feel that holding onto it won't help them, that the people who really care have gone with PS4 and buying the dlc again won't help, that that money can be spent in better ways.

Tainted

Heh, I love their cynicism, its what makes me laugh.

Damn some of you guys are uptight. I would rather watch these guys and their cynical but humorous jests than being bombarded by fanboys cheering and crying tears of joy over the usual stupid shit like how awesome it was watching someome get torn in half or the introduction of some new gimmicky mechanic or feature.

Game conventions are the worst in a lot of ways for how much circle jerking goes on, or people getting hurt that they didn't go ape shit over some peoples favourite manufacturers stuff.

exactamundo....it seems like people feel the need to have their enthusiasm for something justified by seeing their favorite game journos enthusiastic about it as well.

That GT reaction video to Shenmue was just cringe-worthy....I don't know why they are being hailed as gods now because of it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
NA0F8CD.gif

Fox Mulder

Bizarre.

i always thought it was a stupid deal to do for a console leader to pay for CoD shit. MS did it and was evil, now Sony does it, yay. I don't own a ps4, so it's nice that Sony paid for the rights to show Cod and Destiny shit at their conference, MS didn't have a second of either unless i missed them.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
exactamundo....it seems like people feel the need to have their enthusiasm for something justified by seeing their favorite game journos enthusiastic about it as well.

That GT reaction video to Shenmue was just cringe-worthy....I don't know why they are being hailed as gods now because of it.
"Because they're just so relatable and like me you know?" People love having their opinions validated in the lamest way possible.

Myggen

Speaking of Jeff, Burnout Paradise is on sale today on Steam. Worth picking up?

The best part of that game is the online racing, and I don't know how active that is now (probably not much). But the single player is still very good, with some of the best arcade racing ever. I say go for it.

edit: People are not allowed to still shit on Justin McElroy's Skyrim reaction if they liked GT's Shenmue reaction. I don't care either way, but that gif of Justin is brought up every single time there's a thread involving him or gaming journalism.

GavinGT

Banned

Bizarre.

I think Phil Spencer just wanted to prioritize first party games over a silly co-marketing deal.

Watching the Ubisoft conference after the Sony one was pretty interesting. The difference in the GB crew's attitude and humor was pretty striking. Maybe they had a tiring couple of hours between the two...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So the Shenmue KS video, is that the game or Shenmue 1 or 2? Whatever the case I hope they keep the voice actors in that trailer cause they sound HILARIOUSLY uninterested in everything.

I dunno, there is something fun about seeing people getting that excited for something. The world needs it's Jeff Gerstmans as well as it's that-guy-from-GTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom