• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

On Demand

Banned
Or maybe they focused on the consoles that would generate the most revenue. Here, let me break this down:

Source

So maybe they spent 3x as much effort and focus on current gen consoles, because they're getting 3x as much revenue from current gen consoles. Companies will always focus on the platforms that bring the most revenue for them, and thus they won't be ignoring the PS4 users until a time that PS4K users start outspending them. And that's not going to happen for at least another couple of years, if at all.

Ok so providing a worse experience than usual is acceptable to you because there's less money to be made? Even though people still play on those consoles?

Hexa

Ok so providing a worse experience than usual is acceptable to you because there's less money to be made? Even though people still play on those consoles?

Yes? I mean, that's capitalism. Big budget projects will always cater to the majority. That's just the way things have been in the industry since it began.

Blanquito

Let's just take this as an example: you have 80 hours to finish two jobs in a week, and you cannot work more than 80 hours.

Job A will give you $100 if you complete it, and job B will get you $33 if you complete it. However, for every 1% you don't complete of a particular job, you'll lose 1% of the total.

Both jobs will take you 50 hours, thus you need to do decide: I only have 80 hours to work on these jobs that would take 100 hours to complete.

So what do you do? (Or in this case, what do all businesses -- whether they be video game publishers or grocery stores or tech startups -- do?) You focus on the one that will give you the most money (job A), and then with the time left over you do your best to do what you can for job B.

This is business 101. You will never have enough time to do 100% of whatever you want on any project, so you have to do ROI calculations and prioritize your time.

[edit] to finalize: yes, that by necessity means that some people get left behind, or get a suboptimal experience. But you have to focus on what makes you the most money, and then give best effort to help those that are behind the curve. Why do you think that older phones are no longer supported? Is it because it's impossible to support them? No. It's because the majority of people have moved on from the iPhone 1,2,3, and the amount of time it takes to support them wouldn't be worth the effort you put into doing it.

On Demand

Banned
I would rather they not waste time making it then if i'm not going to get the quality the system is capable of. It's still being sold on the market and it still has a audience. Why subject buyers to a half assed product?

And this is where the concern comes from with PS4K. What if its sales start to replace the current PS4 this holiday (new owners will be buying it)? PS4 owners are suppose to be ok with the possibility of games getting less development focus after just 3 years? You can't be 100% sure this won't happen.

Blanquito

I would rather they not waste time making it then if i'm not going to get the quality the system is capable of. It's still being sold on the market and it still has a audience. Why subject buyers to a half assed product?

You may feel that way, but the fact that Activision still got 12% revenue from old gen consoles means that's there are a bunch of people that will still buy their products, even if it's not a good as current gen games.

And this is where the concern comes from with PS4K. What if its sales start to replace the current PS4 this holiday (new owners will be buying it)? PS4 owners are suppose to be ok with the possibility of games getting less development focus after just 3 years? You can't be 100% sure this won't happen.

Do you think that the 1-2million PS4K owners this holiday are going to buy more software than the ~40 million PS4 owners? That's why I said I don't know if PS4K owners will overtake PS4 owners for at least a couple of years in terms of revenue. Just look how long it took current gen to overtake previous gen in software sales.

From a "deveoper's focus" point of view, I don't believe you need to be worried for at least a couple of years. Now, there are other completely valid reason that one could be worried about PS4K, but I've only focused on the "devs will stop targeting PS4" one.

Because it undermines their purchase. It doesn't matter if they don't have to buy it. Call that dumb, but again there's certain expectations from the console market.

I don't know what kind of response everyone expected. It's a big change to a 30+ year proven formula.

Just because something is different, does that make it automatically wrong? Do expectations change over time or remain static? If iterations happen, how will you fill in 10-, 15- years time once we've got 3 or 4 iterations under our collective belts?

The problem isn't the model, the problem is that this is the first iteration.

AmyS

x8mEbXp.jpg

Full article here:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/21/is-the-playstation-neo-part-of-sonys-new-strategy.html

Giantbomb on CNBC.com - congrats, guys!

spwolf

it is not the same situation since old gen requires complete ports which are very hard to do. This is not hard to do at all.

And you cant be sure that meteor wont hit you next time you exit your house, can you? Can you?

Krisprolls

Banned
The negative reactions in this thread and the threats of "going PC" are not a good picture of what will happen in the mass market. GAF is just not the mass market.

Most people will just keep their PS4 and not care. Some will upgrade but they will be the minority. Ultimately, PS4 Neo will never come close to base PS4 numbers. People will mostly wait a few more years to upgrade. They'll upgrade when PS5 releases.

People won't "go PC" because they didn't choose consoles for technical reasons. They chose it because of convenience and price, and nothing changed here. Mass market will never ever go PC, it's just not an option for them. Which means for Sony, PC has never been a competitor and it will never be one. That's why they don't care PS4 has a PC-like architecture making easier for PS4 games to be released on PC. That's also why all those threats of going PC are hilarious. I doubt Sony cares that much about the few hardcore gamers who'll do that. Most people concerned that much about technicals went PC long ago anyway, and they're just a tiny minority.

I think Sony thought they had to give that option as a reactionary move against NX and the soon to be released upgraded Xbox One.

Sony is in the leading position, they don't want to get caught offguard by more powerful consoles (notably an upgraded Xbox) that would steal part of the market. They had to give a competitive option, especially with VR and 4K now incoming.

AmyS

The negative reactions in this thread and the threats of "going PC" are not a good picture of what will happen in the mass market. GAF is just not the mass market.

Most people will just keep their PS4 and not care. Some will upgrade but they will be the minority. Ultimately, PS4 Neo will never come close to base PS4 numbers. People will mostly wait a few more years to upgrade. They'll upgrade when PS5 releases.

People won't "go PC" because they didn't choose consoles for technical reasons. They chose it because of convenience and price, and nothing changed here. Mass market will never ever go PC, it's just not an option for them. Which means for Sony, PC has never been a competitor and it will never be one. That's why they don't care PS4 has a PC-like architecture making easier for PS4 games to be released on PC. That's also why all those threats of going PC are hilarious. I doubt Sony cares that much about the few hardcore gamers who'll do that. Most people concerned that much about technicals went PC long ago anyway, and they're just a tiny minority.

I think Sony thought they had to give that option as a reactionary move against NX and the soon to be released upgraded Xbox One.

Sony is in the leading position, they don't want to get caught offguard by more powerful consoles (notably an upgraded Xbox) that would steal part of the market. They had to give a competitive option, especially with VR and 4K now incoming.

This is a really good post, and I'd tend to agree with everything here.

The 360 was TEN YEARS OLD when BO3 released. People should be happy the game was still released on it.

People might still play FIFA on PS2s, does that mean companies should use an equal amount of effort for that version too? Dude.

The God

Did anyone actually say that the mass market will move to PC?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The 360 was TEN YEARS OLD when BO3 released. People should be happy the game was still released on it.

People might still play FIFA on PS2s, does that mean companies should use an equal amount of effort for that version too? Dude.

It amazes me when ppl compare last gen to this gen in the same context as PS4 to Neo as a reason one wont be optimized, get left behind and whatnot.

Are some seriously thinking doing 1 game for 2 different SKUs within the same generation will be as bad as doing a cross gen game?

Those are 2 wildly different hardware specs. Yea ppl should be happy cross gen games are still being made at all, especially in 2016.

And its not even going to be 2 different games like PS3 and PS4. It will be the same game just with extras for Neo owners.

As far as focus....I believe part of the reason why the PS2 continued to get that focus well after the PS3 launched was because of Sony's mistakes launching the PS3. With the PS4 still the sales leader...I cant see the PS4 getting left behind anytime soon or given less focus.

The reason why we see less last gen DLC, features and cross gen games is because of how well the PS4, XBO are selling and how poor their last gen cousins are selling.

MS just announced the 360 is getting discontinued....its just the way business works.

You may feel that way, but the fact that Activision still got 12% revenue from old gen consoles means that's there are a bunch of people that will still buy their products, even if it's not a good as current gen games.

Do you think that the 1-2million PS4K owners this holiday are going to buy more software than the ~40 million PS4 owners? That's why I said I don't know if PS4K owners will overtake PS4 owners for at least a couple of years in terms of revenue. Just look how long it took current gen to overtake previous gen in software sales.

From a "deveoper's focus" point of view, I don't believe you need to be worried for at least a couple of years. Now, there are other completely valid reason that one could be worried about PS4K, but I've only focused on the "devs will stop targeting PS4" one.

This is a dumb thing to say to begin with, for the person that said it). The 2 million ps4k owners will be buying the exact same software as ps4 owners.

They should be thinking of this like the games that supported kinect, the better with kinect line, where you can still play the game no problem without a kinect, but if you have the beefier hardware you get some "extras" in the game. (Not really extras, just better frame rate/graphics.)

So I was curious as to how sites like IGN would handle PS4 and PS4.5 reviews if there is a major difference between the two games, so I straight up asked Steve Butts at IGN. Here's his response:

https://twitter.com/SteveButts/status/723659768171126784

Magnificent Steven
‏@SteveButts
@EmpyreanHeaven If the two platforms are distinct enough and there's enough interest, it's definitely something we'd consider. @DanStapleton
4:48 PM - 22 Apr 2016

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I was curious as to how sites like IGN would handle PS4 and PS4.5 reviews if there is a major difference between the two games, so I straight up asked Steve Butts at IGN. Here's his response:

https://twitter.com/SteveButts/status/723659768171126784

Magnificent Steven
‏@SteveButts
@EmpyreanHeaven If the two platforms are distinct enough and there's enough interest, it's definitely something we'd consider. @DanStapleton
4:48 PM - 22 Apr 2016

Yep their PC reviews are the identical score and text as the consoles (other than a few added lines about performance/IQ).

Nothing will be different gameplay/content wise over the PS4. Just performance/graphical bells and whistles if they so choose. So it is silly to 'now' all of a sudden consider it.

Yea seems very silly to have separate reviews.

Separate reviews in the past made sense between PC and consoles, because generally the game versions were completely different sometimes for the same title.

But that was a long time ago. Nowadays that barely applies for cross-platform games.

AmyS

So far in May, there's seems to be little news on PS4K Neo. Anything more from Giantbomb this past week that I missed?

Yesterday was in Gamestop, talked to one of the employees because I had some questions about the newer DS4 controllers and their triggers. Before I left I asked him about the new PS4, is that real? He said something like 'yeah the PS4.5 / PS4K' and proceeded to mention output or upscale for 4KTVs, and I said yeah I know, but I asked 'is it actually happening, or is it just a rumor', and he said no it's real, it's really coming out. I asked, this year or next, he said late this year or early 2017. So okay, that in itself doesn't mean a darn thing as far as the question of if PS4K / Neo is real or not, but does show that random GS people are well aware of it.

So far in May, there's seems to be little news on PS4K Neo. Anything more from Giantbomb this past week that I missed?

Yesterday was in Gamestop, talked to one of the employees because I had some questions about the newer DS4 controllers and their triggers. Before I left I asked him about the new PS4, is that real? He said something like 'yeah the PS4.5 / PS4K' and proceeded to mention output or upscale for 4KTVs, and I said yeah I know, but I asked 'is it actually happening, or is it just a rumor', and he said no it's real, it's really coming out. I asked, this year or next, he said late this year or early 2017. So okay, that in itself doesn't mean a darn thing as far as the question of if PS4K / Neo is real or not, but does show that random GS people are well aware of it.

Sounds like the dude just reads Neogaf. Doesnt sound like he has been given any special insight, which makes sense because until a memo from corperate comes down, thats all he will know.

Alastor3

Should i wait to have official information on PS4.5 until I buy a ps4? With uncharted 4, last of us, and every other cool exclusive, im really tempted to get a ps4, but i wonder, will 4.5 be a gamebreaking for fps and antialiasing etc, or should i get a normal ps4 and hope for a price drop?

FTF

Should i wait to have official information on PS4.5 until I buy a ps4? With uncharted 4, last of us, and every other cool exclusive, im really tempted to get a ps4, but i wonder, will 4.5 be a gamebreaking for fps and antialiasing etc, or should i get a normal ps4 and hope for a price drop?

With E3 only a month away might as well wait. Though if you have the disposable income to purchase a PS4 now to play all those games you mentioned/want to play in the interim, then trade it in for a PS4K when it comes out, that's a good a plan as any.

STEaMkb

Sony will probably market Neo as "PS4 Elite". And far from signalling the end of this console generation, I can see Andrew House on stage remarking that the Elite "strengthens and extends the lifespan of PS4".

The standard model will continue to drop in price, enticing first-timers and casuals, while the Elite will cater to users who value high framerate and resolution. Many people who upgrade to the Elite will either sell their old console or hand them down to siblings, recruiting a younger generation into the PlayStation ecosystem.

PS4 basic; PS4 Elite. I'm ok with this.

THE:MILKMAN

Pachter on PS4 Neo (been waiting for him to talk about it).

The relavent parts start here.

How much insider knowledge does Pachter have? I don't know if he is holding back or if he knows nothing.

I think his 2 million bundle prediction (~$800) is a bit optimistic depending on how much of a time frame he's talking about.

dukeoflegs

I'm curious to see if the mass market treats the ps4k and new xbox the same way as the Wii U. Most people didn't understand the need for the Wii U when they had a Wii, I could see the same happen with these new iterative consoles.

AmyS

Forget Pachter.

Have you guys read this? I think the info is pretty questionable, but didn't see it mentioned before.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...utely-necessary-for-vr-slams-ps4s-performance

Did Sony actually want to build a PS4K?

The current explanation for why Sony built the PS4K is simple: It wanted to improve top-end performance using newer hardware than was available when the console launched. VRWorld has speculated that this isn’t actually what drove the decision. According to Theo Valich, Sony initially planned on doing a straight die shrink from 28nm to 14nm, but didn’t want to pay the cost of moving from a 28nm planar design to a 14nm FinFET architecture. The difference between the two manufacturing nodes is significant enough that the SoC would need to be completely redesigned, at a cost between $100 million and $200 million dollars.

Instead, Sony and AMD hammered out an agreement in which Sony would adopt the 14nm successor to Jaguar as well as a GPU based on the Polaris architecture. According to Valich, the PS4K isn’t actually based on Jaguar at all and will instead leverage four “Zen Lite” CPU cores. We’ll have to wait and see if this proves true; we haven’t previously heard of a Zen Lite CPU core. But it’s at least theoretically possible that AMD built a version of its upcoming architecture for Sony rather than going to the trouble of taking Jaguar down to 14nm FinFET. Everyone agrees that the GPU is based on Polaris, so there’s no argument there.

I don't see Zen CPU cores happening in a new consoles coming out late 2016 or early 2017. Xbox Scorpio won't be arriving until fall 2017 which makes it a perfect candidate for Zen.

However, it was said from the beginning that Sony was or is considering a new CPU for the more powerful PS4. It's also a question of launching the new PS4 soon in the short-term (fall-winter 2016-2017) or in the mid term (fall 2017) to take on Scorpio directly. Personally, I believe NEO will launch sooner rather than later, as reported.

Some are overdramatic and 90% shouldn't even worry unless you have a 4k tv.

Games will look and feel the same on both platforms if you care about those little advancements "ps4k" will provide buy a PC.

There are requirements and sony will be verry clear about these, so don't think your games will run 20fps on your ps4.

neogaf loves to see the world burn, but in the end everything will be just fine, Sony knows exactly how not to F*** their customers. ps3 was a great lesson.

Those requirements didn't stop Lichdom: Battlemage, Broforce and Assassin's Creed Unity from releasing in the low FPS states they did. I doubt Sony will be policing the differences in quality unless there are major bugs exclusive to a particular model for the PS4.

mitchman

Gold Member
Nah. Professionally he's an analyst for other tech related stuff. He does this just for fun.

Actually, no, he specializes in gaming, but not Japanese or Chinese gaming companies. He even said that in one of the earlier episodes when asked how he got into gaming analyst stuff.

Planet

I am. Just the fact that Pachter can be very wrong in 2 out of 3 things, yet still people consider him a wise man when he finally got something right. Predictions are hard, especially when they concern the future. Just most people rambling wildly don't get paid for it. I have yet to see Pachter do anything earning his fame.

Top Bottom