• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLIXEL: Is Halo Broken?

Flipyap

Can we get rid of that stupid ground-pound attack? Every time I see it... just, no. Why?
Why not? The butt stomp is a really funny ability. It's a good kind of dumb that fits well with the goofiness of Halo's gameplay.

Destiny's the real Halo 4.
It doesn't have ANYTHING in common with Halo beyond being a shooter featuring faceless space dudes, but sure, it's the real Halo 4.
Honestly, it's probably closer to Halo 420 by now if that's the criteria we're going with.

Mr. Sam

If the Halo games were more important than they were good, they must have been very, very, very important. Before Doom 2016, which was astoundingly good, I would have said they were still the benchmark for first person shooters.

I'll echo what others are saying in that the single player campaigns have been a mess under 343i - and 5 was two steps forward, five steps back, three steps to the side in that regard - but that 5 has some of the best multiplayer, if not the best, of the series.

It's all subjective, but I can't relate to any of that. Halo 3 is my favorite campaign.

The idea that Halo = Master Chief is flawed, considering ODST and Reach had fantastic campaigns (not to mention the Halo Wars games). And playing as Arbiter wasn't the problem with Halo 2's campaign, it was the awful cliffhanger.

This is also true.

I have heard lots of very good things about H5's MP.

Very bad about it's campaign though.

The campaign is OK apart from the recycled boss fights which really suck. Other than that it's fairly forgettable, which in this day and age = worst thing ever created

Multiplayer is sublime.

Halo 5 deserves way more credit. As a shooter it felt solid and the multiplayer was awesome. Those boss fights can fuck off and die though.

I'm quite confident 343 can learn from the feedback and give us a bangerang story in Halo 6. The story is the weakest link and they need to fix that. I think they know this.

But thats the problem, 343 should have learned from Bungies feedback back in 2004. Even though i would totally play a side story game focused on arbiter today, at the time no one wanted to play half the game as someone other than MC. You dont do that in main halo games. Ever. How did 343 not learn their lesson in 2004? I know they weren't around but still. Theres no reason to bring back the shit that Halo didnt do right, especially in a main Halo game. Youre just asking for failure.

Plus, look at Doom. The game managed to keep its gameplay 'classic' while bringing a new updated progression system to your character while playing the SP. Why cant halo take doom as an example of how to 'evolve' Halos SP?

It just seems to me like they hired too many COD people, and not enough Halo people.

Outrun

[/B]

... Master Chief is a very generic super soldier, and i totally get what he stands for, but prior to H4, he could just have been replaced with anyone like him, i actually think Locke or someone similar could have replaced him if it was implemented well. But now since Locke and his team and somewhat blueteam felt like an unnecessary addition, people are quick to draw the conclusion that it's due to John not being the main protagonist.
And you could easily argue that the arbiter in Halo 2, games like ODST and reach still remain as good entries, even though it wasn't chief we played as.

I have heard of this criticism leveled at MC. However, I feel that the character's charisma is evident even in Halo CE. I have no qualms playing a split campaign, once every 3 games. But, for me, it is John-117 that resonates with me.

jem0208

Lmaoo at all the responses and ones that follow that say H5 is the best gameplay in the series, yall are repeating shit you read, and cant even say why its the best in the series

Shit isnt fun, better than halo 4 though
Or people maybe just have different opinions? Crazy thought I know.

H5 is amazing.

Gestault

Lmaoo at all the responses and ones that follow that say H5 is the best gameplay in the series, yall are repeating shit you read, and cant even say why its the best in the series

Shit isnt fun, better than halo 4 though

It's not possible that people played it themselves and enjoyed it?

Or people maybe just have different opinions? Crazy thought I know.

H5 is amazing.

It's not possible that people played it themselves and enjoyed it?

Guns feel amazing, movement feels amazing, the melee, gun & grenade gameplay is exactly what halo is all about and its never been better than this. No other halo game comes close other than maybe h2.

If he still doesnt know why, then he should go back to COD.

Cranster

Banned
A soft reboot could be cool, something done a bit like the recent Star Trek.

Like send a message back to Chief or Keys that alters how the new time line plays out but only a little.

(I don't think I explained that very well).

Time travel sounds stupid. Let alone the
ending of Halo Wars 2
shows 343i is committed to what they set in stone.

32991308766_92f9156fe6_z.jpg

The premise of Halo 5 was fucking ace.

I remember that e3 demo where the Locke crew went through a trashed covenent level, the set up being Chief had been through and wrecked everyone. I had dreams of playing levels as Chief and then Locke seeing the damage Chief wrecked.

I thoroughly enjoyed what we got, the campaign is far from trash as so often claimed. They ending of 5 is a great platform to build off imo.

Time travel sounds stupid. Let alone the
ending of Halo Wars 2
shows 343i is committed to what they set in stone.

32991308766_92f9156fe6_z.jpg

I haven't played Halo Wars 2 but so fucking what?

The original game was big fucking stupid sci-fi. Bring it back I say.

Halo and
Gears
are in massive decline.

Microsoft need to either give the IP's a break or create new ones,

Gears 4 is great imho, like Halo 5 the ending sets up a potentially great sequel. Differing from Halo 5, the campaign on the whole is great and full of fantastic moments. All that was missing for me for the campaign to raise from a 8/10 to a 9-10/10 was a throwback mission towards the end
playing as Marcus and crew. I'd have cried nostalgic tears.

The online is also great for both games.

Gears 4 is great imho, like Halo 5 the ending sets up a potentially great sequel. Differing from Halo 5, the campaign on the whole is great and full of fantastic moments. All that was missing for me for the campaign to raise from a 8/10 to a 9-10/10 was a throwback mission towards the end
playing as Marcus and crew. I'd have cried nostalgic tears.

The online is also great for both games.

They are both great games for sure but both franchises are selling less and less with each iteration. In consumers eyes, both franchises are starting to lose relevancy.

As Guerilla have shown, it is never too late to reinvent yourself.

The only question is if Microsoft will allow them to.

They are both great games for sure but both franchises are selling less and less with each iteration. In consumers eyes, both franchises are starting to lose relevancy.

As Guerilla have shown, it is never too late to reinvent yourself.

The only question is if Microsoft will allow them to.

Yeah I agree with this, I doubt Halo will ever reach the commercial heights of Halo 3 - that was a one off event in Gaming history in terms of hype imho.

It's a shame Coalition was made into a Gears only studio, although they did a fantastic job, a new successful IP would do Msoft a world of good - especially with the Scorpio launch.

Cranster

Banned
This is a very oversimplified way of looking at it. Halo 5 might indeed be a more refined package, but Destiny clearly has something Halo 5 lacks in regards to initial appeal and player retention.
Bungie overhype and multiplatform release! Halo 5 has the best player retention rate for a Halo game since Halo 3 aswell.

:/ Sorry, I'm very drunk.

I think the super heavy going story at the moment is lame.
When they were riffing off Alien, etc it was amazing.
I agree that the nods to Aliens worked really well, but it was for the most part only really prominent in the first Halo.

Yeah I agree with this, I doubt Halo will ever reach the commercial heights of Halo 3 - that was a one off event in Gaming history in terms of hype imho.

It's a shame Coalition was made into a Gears only studio, although they did a fantastic job, a new successful IP would do Msoft a world of good - especially with the Scorpio launch.

I think that the reason for this decline is that their SP model has not "evolved" so to speak. Playing through a campaign with no character progression whatsoever or "openness" is a very "old" style of game design. Practically no games do this anymore and the ones that do, often dont review great.

People expect a progression system at the very least now. Kinda like how Doom did it. Its gameplay felt like Doom but with an updated progression system where you could get points and upgrades to your guns, armor, etc. all the way through. This is how people play their games now. If 343 continue to make the SP without these elements, they will continue to get criticized about their campaigns.

Top Bottom