• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The snake catch is great, I'd never have noticed this. What's the theory on the enemy in the first gif?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is this a real question? Shoulder-cam games are really common and many of them have big bosses, what are people playing?

The real problem is the kid, will Kratos protect the kid or will just climb giants because they will ALWAYS find an excuse to ignore the kid? Maybe a mix of both i guess, but i can't see the game be super gory with a kid, unless
the kid dies and Kratos becomes the Kratos we know
or
the kid is the Kratos we know

Raylan

Banned
giphy.gif

Hm.... this looks more like moving ice water to me. An iced river, or something.

Boss fights are not my biggest concern, Cory Barlog directed God of War 2, he knows what God of War is made of. My biggest concern comes with the Norse mythology they chose. Sure, they have cool deities and myths but the Norse people never appeared to me as great builders like the Greeks or the Egyptians were so environment variety worries me a bit. Wilderness is good but I like it mixed with huge temples or mythic places.

Yes... I'm still salty they went for Norse instead of Egypt... :-(

Shin-chan

I think the whole next saga whatever it is will have Kratos and the kid at varying ages. I can't see them introducing this whole new mechanic of having a kid button and then scrapping it in the sequel. Obviously they could introduce new characters if one of them dies in this game, but it seems the whole fatherhood thing is really important to Cory so I can imagine they have planned out a series of games developing this and their relationship. I also hope if this is the case then it avoids a revenge plot line, although I am very intrigued what it will be that will drag Kratos' rage out and be the impetus for this adventure.

I'm thinking about Skidbladnir. It's a ship that can hold all the gods and their equipment. We could fight the Midgard Serpent with this ship. Also, this ship can travel to air and land, it would be pretty cool to see a ship on the sky.

giphy.gif

nah, man, those are scales.

and they're clearly moving in front of the treeline - if that were a river, you'd see some kind of shoreline.

nopenopenope, the kid can fight that thing, Kratos and I are outta here.

The detail in the trailer is incredible. It's not helping the wait until the game releases!

test_account

XP-39C²
This is like an atom of Midgard Serpent's poop, if they use the actual Midgard Serpent of norse mythology.
I dont think theres really any definitive answer to how large the Midgard Serpent really is. I mean, it grew so large that it circled the whole world, but at the same time, Tor managed to fish for it, only using a bulls head as bait, and the Norse gods are usually being thought of as humanoids in size and shape. And the world was most likely thought of as much smaller back in the days when this was written.

Until I see actual gameplay footage and not kratos slowly hacking away with his tree axe on a skeleton, I'm dubious of everything they say. The exp, the ellie/elizabeth helper button, the dumb title despite it supposedly being a sequel, nothing here sounds right about GoW. Change is fine, but the DNA has been changed. Am I going to be able to grab onto a large enemy and the camera will just pan out as I press the right buttons to take it down? We went from a fps plague to a tps plague. The Last of Us was a mistake.

Looks like the camera will automatically adjust based on the enemy and the distance from it, they did a great job imho

2 quick screens from the video

hjkhjkhjrujah.png

gyuufyuyi5khp.png

It will stay really close only during exploration and in fights with little and few enemies or when you are distant form a big enemie imho, like in the first encounter of the video.

Maybe this is a stupid question but can't you just pull the camera father away when a boss fight is happening and close it in again when that is done?
Why should the entire be different?

I dont think theres really any definitive answer to how large the Midgard Serpent really is. I mean, it grew so large that it circled the whole world, but at the same time, Tor managed to fish for it, only using a bulls head as bait, and the Norse gods are usually being thought of as humanoids in size and shape. And the world was most likely thought of as much smaller back in the days when this was written.

Maybe Thor fishing it was a hyperbole of the mythology and not something about the serpent's size. Even if the serpent has potrayed as being smaller in some stories, I think Santa Monica should use the biggest version possible, it would be a great boss fight.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe Thor fishing it was a hyperbole of the mythology and not something about the serpent's size. Even if the serpent has potrayed as being smaller in some stories, I think Santa Monica should use the biggest version possible, it would be a great boss fight.
Well, its all hyperbole in the sense that its just a made up story :) But yeah, i'm sure that the boss will be of quite a big scale in the game.

I could have sworn that Cory Balrog said the big GOW boss battles will still be in the game but the reason they weren't in the E3 demo is because it should have been obvious and they wanted to show a new side to Kratos.

Yep iirc that was said

I can see them doing/showing that crazy epic battle for the next showing. PSX maybe

Flipyap

Those are possibly draugur. I just can't for the life of me think of something from norse mythology that resembles those flying, insect-like things.
The insect fella looks like a grimdark take on a fairy, which could make it an elf/dark elf.
It might be a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't expect God of War to go with the common "skinny and pretty" or "small and hairy" depiction of elves.

No, I didn't express myself very well. Maybe Thor was potrayed as someone who fished the serpent, while the serpent was still huge. I mean that Thor fishing it maybe didn't mean that it's not that huge.

Norse mythology is known for its absurd exaggerations, e.g. Bilskirnirs 640 floors (the home of Þórr and his family). Most of the descriptions found in the two Eddas and other related texts are so over the top high-fantasy style, even the people back then (let's say 8th - 9th century) weren't supposed to take them literally ;-)

test_account

XP-39C²
So I'm guessing we'll find out what happened at the end of GoW3 then? I thought
Kratos died

Also if this is a continuation of the story they shouldn't just call it "God of War"

That's fine if it's a reboot, but give it a subtitle or call it God of War 4, there is already a game called God of War

On topic, it would go without saying they would try and keep the elements the series is known for, like the big boss battles, even with the change in perspective
At the end of GOW3,
Kratos appears dead, but in the next scene he is gone, and there is a big bird icon on the ground, which i think is a phonix (rise from the ashes). There is also the "two worlds collide" stuff in GOW3, which might be related to what happened.

Norse mythology is known for its absurd exaggerations, e.g. Bilskirnirs 640 floors (the home of Þórr and his family). Most of the descriptions found in the two Eddas and other related texts are so over the top high-fantasy style, even the people back then (let's say 8th - 9th century) weren't supposed to take them literally ;-)

I'm not disagreeing with you in the last part of the post, but I don't think the developers care about what people thought about these myths. Maybe there were many people that didn't take literally that there was a cooked pig in Valhalla that its body grew back every time someone cut a part of it, but I think Santa Monica cares about the mythology only, so we might see that pig.

I could have sworn that Cory Balrog said the big GOW boss battles will still be in the game but the reason they weren't in the E3 demo is because it should have been obvious and they wanted to show a new side to Kratos.

Yeah, the same goes for set pieces. He said you know they're going to be there so there's not much point in them showing them to you. This was about them showing what's different. And I think you could see that by how the demo of this GoW ended (with Kratos kneeling down over a deer with his son) compared to the last two games

God of War 3 - Kratos getting ready to face a Titan
God of War Ascension - Kratos attacking a giant Kraken

Xevren

Yo this gifs showing the snake in the background got me hype. I can't wait for this, I love Norse mythology.

Anyone who even had this thought definitely have not played any previous God of war game. This is basically what makes the series....

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
so is the game a reset of the franchise?

or is Kratos' march continuing?

i havent followed the media this week

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do people really think there won't be large setpieces and boss fights in a new GoW?

This. I have been reading all the threads and I don't feel like people are saying this.

The camera probably means we won't be fighting Cronos-scale bosses, but the gameplay of that setpiece wasn't anything special anyway.

so is the game a reset of the franchise?

or is Kratos' march continuing?

i havent followed the media this week

It's the same Kratos (though they obviously have big plans for character growth), after the events of GOW3. How he got where he is now is currently unknown.

Arkeband

Banned
There were people taking this into question, due to the new camera angle. I just saw no need for fingerpointing.

Btw, there are more lovely details in that trailer, like this:

ClCzupdUgAA5gZU.jpg

Oh, I should add that those are not my finds, Kudoz belongs to the guys from DetectiveGAF, not me, I just summarized the findings so far.

I thought he discarded all of his artifacts on the cliff at the end of GoW3.

TyrantII

Dark Souls has plenty of epic boss fights.

I doubt we'll be running on a titan again, but most of the epicness in GoW was the QTE critical take downs anyways.

Top Bottom