• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

Anyone else get RE4 vibes while playing this? I feel like fov is so similar with the camera positioning behind Kratos and sometimes the environments are kinda similar like in the mine area.

Wunray

Just beat the game earlier today and I have to say and as of now without doing a single side quest the game is an 8/10 for me, it may go up as I play through the other content. There is a certain part in the late game (those of use who have already beaten the game will know what I am talking about) where a certain character acte as though a switch has been flipped and starts acting..... irregular it was laughably bad but the character is redeemed in a major way later.

DavidGzz

So many developers are going to be taking notes on the combat in this game. I really don't know how it could be much more satisfying. Combine the animations, sound effects, combos, ranged attack on the fly, sound effects, graphics, and having a second character you can control on the fly. It's just soooooo good. I fear the next game from Miyazaki will be lacking after playing this.

I never thought a God of War game would end up being potentially one of my favorite games of all time

Same here! I would have given GoW on PS2 an 8 at most and I didn't even play the others(I was mostly an Xbox guy then) but this one is on another level!

Last edited:
This is almost a perfect game for me, and absolutely a masterpiece level of work.

But if there was ONE change I could make to this game. It would be this. When you swing your Axe at wall or anything in the environment, there should always be an impact! And currently there is none... o_O That is really my only significant gripe. Every other complaint is really even more minor than that.

This is something FROM and the Dark Souls games do correctly. And to me, it really makes the character feel connected to the world. When you swing at a wall or stone whatever in the environment in God of War it just completely whiffs like you are swinging at the air. In Dark Souls or Monster Hunter or Zelda any number of other games that does this well, when your weapon hits something in the environment, it will strike, make a sound, and your weapon will bounce back. There is actual feedback. And this is unfortunately missing in GoW for most work objects for whatever reason.

And it's an odd decision, because there actually is very good world collision when you THROW the axe. But none when you SWING it... So it does not seem to be a technical reason. I am guessing they took that out for game play reasons? Swinging and bouncing off walls was breaking up the combat flow or something?

Last edited:

Fnord

The combat in this game is just so satisfying. When I started, I thought it was going to be a button-mashing fest. And honestly, as long as everything else was on point, I was kind of okay with that. I've not been a technical fighting gamer since way back in the days when Virtua Fighter was in the arcades. The first Virtua Fighter. So I've kind of missed out on the whole Soulsborne thing (I have Demons Souls and Bloodborne, but great googily moogily are they difficult!). I don't know what it is about the combat in this. I can't put my finger on it. It just flows. Occasionally, I'll get caught with my pants down, but there have been a fair number of times when I'll clear out a room and it feels effortless and rewarding - just gracefully (if you can call Kratos "graceful") sliding from one opponent to the next laying waste, but by no means button mashing to do it.

DavidGzz

I shouldn't have purchased the shield break when you double tap L1. it's screwing me VS. a certain boss. I've died 15 times probably so far.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
this is somewhat of a spoilerish question but not really.

Anyway, I am at the part of the game where I just got a new weapon and I just want to know without details if it is explained how Kratos got to Midgard from Greece and if the gap between GoW3 is explained?

Ragnaroz

this is somewhat of a spoilerish question but not really.

Anyway, I am at the part of the game where I just got a new weapon and I just want to know without details if it is explained how Kratos got to Midgard from Greece and if the gap between GoW3 is explained?
It's not. At least not in any satisfying way.

Last edited:
Just killed one of the valkeries. Does someone know how far I am?

Does not really mean anything progression wise unless knowing which one because there are
of them and some are easy and some are super hard. And you dont have to do them in order

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Does not really mean anything progression wise unless knowing which one because there are
of them and some are easy and some are super hard. And you dont have to do them in order
It was the first one, just after got the magic-fire-stone-thing

DavidGzz

The Valkyrie was one of my fave fights. Figuring her out was a treat. Died so many times on hard mode against her but when I finally won it was amazing!

Shifty

Man, internet searches are are going super hard on spoilers for this game. The top item in my youtube recommended sidebar, and even a basic google search for 'god of war' immediately smacks you in the face with them.

It's not going to ruin the game for me, but all this because the games press can't keep their collective dicks holstered for longer than a couple of hours post-release. Harrumph.

Last edited:

Kagero

Holy crap!

I just got to the dead giant corpse! What a set piece! I can't handle this. This is the game of the FOREVER!

Does this game keep delivering like this all the way through? I can't handle how awesome this is.

Neo_GAF

Banned
quick question: is the german version cut?
the previous god of war games were cencored in germany. at least the first one where you were killing a sacrifice in that one cage(instead of a human i think its a creature).

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I'm like 3.5 hours in and this game is the shit. I really thought I was done with God of War, but this is a great new direction.

RPGCrazied

I think I read this game will have no DLC. So no more content coming? I feel they could at least throw in a new game plus. Let us replay the adventure with all skills learned, equipment, items.

Pejo

Gold Member
I know that part.

Press the switch first. Then throw the axe. Twice.
Alternatively, I threw the axe so it stuck right behind the bottom node, then pull the switch, recall the axe (Which will allow the door to rise, then you just have to hit the top one while the door is open.

MastAndo

I'm about 2/3's of the way through (I think), and I can already tell I'm going to be bummed when this one ends. I suppose there are things to do afterwards, and while the combat is really fun, my main draw right now is I'm finding the story (and character development) really compelling. I do plan to
take out the Valkyries
but beyond that, I feel like this is going to be a one and done experience for me...but what an experience it's been so far.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Minor issue, but I really wish I could kick down chains to open shortcuts without automatically climbing onto the chain.

This game does nothing new. But what it does, it does with perfection.
In my opinion they nailed the balance between story and gameplay. I was invested in the story and never felt that my control was being taken away.
What a great journey that was. I'm sad that it's over.

A.Romero

I was just thinking the same thing last night. It’s gotta be some sort of oversight.

I've heard this before. I'm sure they will patch it up soon.

I just reached the summit and feel like I'm just scratching the surface of the game itself although I'm pretty much complete with unlocks. This game just keeps on giving!

J3nga

This game some quite a bit of wisdom, here's few:

- Keep your expectations low and you'll never be disappointed.

The other one was while sailing on the boat from Kratos story where point was that son did some stupid shit because his mother showed him just love and nothing of consequences.

On both I can relate to my own real life examples in which I'm not necessarily involved.

DryvBy

Is there any gore in this game? I know there's violence but every God of War game had a MK fatality move to perform on just about every enemy. And by gore, I mean ripping people into pieces.

Moneal

Is there any gore in this game? I know there's violence but every God of War game had a MK fatality move to perform on just about every enemy. And by gore, I mean ripping people into pieces.

Worst one I know about is the
Werewolve type enemies. Kratos basically rips their jaws a part all the way down their torso.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just beat the game earlier today and I have to say and as of now without doing a single side quest the game is an 8/10 for me, it may go up as I play through the other content. There is a certain part in the late game (those of use who have already beaten the game will know what I am talking about) where a certain character acte as though a switch has been flipped and starts acting..... irregular it was laughably bad but the character is redeemed in a major way later.
I don't know how you can throw a rating on the game without doing about half of the content...aka the side quests.

Some of the side quests have amazing character moments and a lot of humor, if that's your thing: also loot and boss fights galore!

Fnord

Are there any numbers about sold copies of the game already?

There were some UK numbers somewhere. Don't remember exactly what they were, but it is the best selling opening week for a God of War game ever. Took the #1 spot for the week. And I'm pretty sure it is the best selling first party PS4 exclusive (again, UK) on release week.

nowhat

There were some UK numbers somewhere. Don't remember exactly what they were, but it is the best selling opening week for a God of War game ever. Took the #1 spot for the week. And I'm pretty sure it is the best selling first party PS4 exclusive (again, UK) on release week.
And the best selling physical game in the UK this year, behind FC5 (which was multiplatform). But these are just physical sales, in a single country. I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks, I pretty sure we'll get a press release from Sony at some point gloating about sales.

So many developers are going to be taking notes on the combat in this game. I really don't know how it could be much more satisfying. Combine the animations, sound effects, combos, ranged attack on the fly, sound effects, graphics, and having a second character you can control on the fly. It's just soooooo good. I fear the next game from Miyazaki will be lacking after playing this.

I'm so baffled on comments like this and how this over-the-shoulder view/shoulder button/FPS style can be better then the previous games. GoW2 had multiple weapons with great movesets and various properties in terms of stuns, aerial attacks and specials. Each spell has special properties for different situations and all were effective so it was up to the player. You had proper block-cancels, jump-cancels, loads of i-frames that made sense, a pretty robust dodge system, good stun properties on enemies with non of them tanking hits, and inputs couldn't have worked better. It had a great variety of bosses with only a few environmental bosses with most as humanoid bosses that were fun to go at.

I can't imagine from what I've seen from this new one how it could possibly be some standard in terms of combat in games, especially with GoW2 was maybe the most perfect form of hack and slash that was made. I don't see how any H&S developer is going to change into the hybrid that nuGoW has become. Are we sure this isn't just early-reaction euphoria from people?...I'm just not seeing the level of detail the original games had.

Don't remember exactly what they were, but it is the best selling opening week for a God of War game ever.

Would have been nice had Sony promoted those past GoW titles as much as they did this one. Why this one got so much attention while those didn't is beyond me.

Last edited:

nowhat

How the hell do you free
those dragons? Just got to 1.
I did very little side content on my first playthrough (that's just me, if it's a story-driven game I'll usually rush through the main story first, then if I'm liking it do a more complete run the second time, which is absolutely what I'm going to do with this game), but
I did free one dragon, and it was a matter of finding the three runes in the "stone" that hold the dragon (hidden somewhere within the environment - look for places to climb and such), smashing them (whether getting up close and personal or just throwing your axe), then returning to the stone holding the dragon and freeing it. Also be prepared to receive enemy waves after destroying each rune.
But that was just one, perhaps the others are different.

Top Bottom