• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Nexus 9 |OT| Looks like an iPad, must be an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still undecided between this and the Xperia Z3 Tablet. Kind of concerns me with some of the build quality issues that have been talked about, but the extra screen real estate, aspect ratio, and performance might outweigh those.

ukas

I'm still undecided between this and the Xperia Z3 Tablet. Kind of concerns me with some of the build quality issues that have been talked about, but the extra screen real estate, aspect ratio, and performance might outweigh those.

I think it's hit or miss. My first one had bad gyros and the loose back. My replacement, on the other hand, is rock solid.

ukas

So loose back is indeed a production screw up? I assumed it was just a bad design

I would say yes by my experience. The amount of give on the back of mine is hardly perceptible. The first one I had almost seems like there was a very small pocket of air on the backside.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I really cannot recommend the 9, the light bleed is terrible and it has other quality issues. The whole package comes out to mediocre at best.

todd360

I would say yes by my experience. The amount of give on the back of mine is hardly perceptible. The first one I had almost seems like there was a very small pocket of air on the backside.

I really wanted to get one until I heard about the light bleed and loose back. If they fix that stuff then I'm back on board I think.

I have light bleed but its really only annoying when looking at the screen at an extreme angle; I don't have a loose back.

Edit: But I do have a lack of storage, if you're unsure if 16 gigs is enough GET 32 GIGS. I have a 32 gig phone because the last phone I had was 32 gigs and I was still running out of space now and then--for my Nexus 9 I thought I might be able to pull off 16 gigs, nope. You get 11 gigs to start with and just with apps I use/might use and no filler apps, and a few gigs of comics (2-2.5ish) I only have 4 gigs free. Ugh.

Dat battery life though.

e02634c577.png

e406cbc385.png

08a07503af.png

I was mostly reading comics. When you don't push the SoC it really does overperform battery wise.

Milpool

Just got LRX21R pushed OTA, I got the LRX21Q error multiple times when it tried to update last week so it looks like they've fixed the problem.

Drifters

So I just read that this POS doesn't do HDMI out via slimport so pretty much cements me getting the shield tablet now. What an fning joke.

EmiPrime

I haven't had a problem with performance. No stuttering or lockups on my end.

So no standout flaws then.

Looks like Google were onto a winner with this one but early Lollipop release bugs and a dodgy first production run have ruined perception of it.

Argyle

Anyone flash 5.0.1 yet? It's too early for me to form an opinion, but you can get it yourself as the factory image has been released...

Argyle

Go on then. Give us an opinion anyway.

Well it's been about half an hour since I flashed, and so far the tablet doesn't seem any more or less likely to catch fire.

Hopefully the update fixes a lot of the crappy memory management issues but it's probably too soon to tell...

JordanKZ

5.0.1 doesn't seem to be a big deal, just minor bug fixes surrounding the initial setup... At least from what I've heard anyway.

Lollipop's memory management is pretty terrible though. Yesterday I had a gig of RAM free and it just kept forcing the launcher out of RAM. It's maddening.

I'm also very tempted at that price but reading through the thread over at XDA about the new revisions it doesn't seem like it's fixed sadly. People getting units yesterday still report light bleeding and such.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-9/general/nexus-9-revision-t2961927/page6
A shame. I'm in the market for an Android tablet and was looking at getting this one so I can have access to Lollipop.

I still might order one from Amazon anyway and if I'm not satisfied, just return it. I really am tired of my iPad 3 and iOS.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just got a 32GB White one.

Very minor lightbleed in a few corners, and the back does not have that issue with being able to press it down, there's an extremely light give, but something you would never notice during use.

Very minor lightbleed in a few corners, and the back does not have that issue with being able to press it down, there's an extremely light give, but something you would never notice during use.

Same with my 32GB white one. The light bleed is hardly noticeable and the back is fine. I'm really happy thus far.

Dead

well not really...yet
I really wish there was an option to leave the 3 on screen bottoms transparent, rather than shove a black bar under every app im using, including the browser.

One of those things I keep hoping Google does, but never do

davidnic

Same issue with mine for white 32GB, but I notice it once on the lock screen.

One feature I like, is double tap to wake I use this all the time.

Rankun

Neo Member
So I recently bought a used 16 GB Nexus 9 for about $150 and it arrived today. It seems like a great device but the auto-rotation seems buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I did a sensor check to see if this was an hardware issue but the sensors are detected correctly and seem to be working fine. So I figure it's a software bug with Lollipop, but my Nexus 5 doesn't have any issues.

Did anyone else notice this?

I guess I'll play around with it some more and flash a custom ROM or something, see if that does anything.

Man this thing. It has so many weird quirks. Like only certain AC adapters/USB cables allow it to charge quickly. I pretty much had to dig up an old LG charger (one without a USB socket) so I could charge it quickly. Nothing else I owned worked. What?

I was getting 12 hour + charge times lol. Now it's only a few hours.

Dead

well not really...yet
So after finding out mine had the buttons issue I went out and swapped it. Got one with even worse button issue. Swapped again, this time perfect buttons but massive lightbleed and the unit crashes every time it updates to 5.0.1 and it doesn't recognize any login attempts

Think I'm through with this lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom