• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Nexus 9 |OT| Looks like an iPad, must be an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

I don't want to go back to my iPad. What's the best android tablet going at the moment which also has great battery life similar to ipads?

Probably the Galaxy Tab S. Great battery life. Looking at it myself and hoping for some deal come black Friday.

malyce

I've had the device today. Here is what I think of it.

The screen is nice but there is some flicker sometimes. Others have mentioned this I think but I would have noticed this myself. The screen ever so slightly inceases/decreases in brightness. There is also some light bleed at the top and at the bottom also.

Build quality... There is definitely gap that you can feel at the back. For me its in the middle but also on the lower left side. So when I hold it in portrait mode with my left hand, I can feel it in the lower left of the tablet. I wouldnt mind the gap too much if it was just in the middle... But I feel it every time I hold the device. Worse still is that it makes a slight click/tap noise every time I hold it.

Battery life is also not good. Currently as I type this post on the nexus itself, I've had just roughly 4 hours of screen time! With about 15% remaining and its stating that I have about 50 mins left. This is with no gaming or anything intense at all. Just GAF internet WiFi browsing. This is the biggest deal breaker for me. How google is getting that 9 hour plus figure I dunno.I haven't even tried any gaming yet! Wonder how long the battery would last then!

Charging is also really slow with this.

Yes the back top right of the device gets warm. But I don't think its really an issue. But bare in mind I haven't done any gaming on it so don't know how hot would be when under load.

I did have an update when I set the device up about 300 Meg ish. Brightness is set to about a third which is bright enough.

This is my first android tablet coming off an iPad air 1. I wanted to switch since I like the freedom that android offers (love my nexus 5 except the current shitty battery life). I hated the tab reloading/limit in safari, the placement of the speakers, having to jailbreak in order to do simple things like using emulators and constantly having to get new charging cables which cost a bit. This nexus solves all those issues... But now I have lacklustre battery life and build quality issues.

Say what you want about the iPads but their battery life has always been great for me.

I was considering getting a replacement, but with even HTC discounting it hugely after only one day...doesn't seem like they have faith in this product. I'm going to send this back to google and ask for my money back. Shame really since its got many nice things going for it. Lollipop is nice.

Any questions feel free to ask. I have one myself though...

I don't want to go back to my iPad. What's the best android tablet going at the moment which also has great battery life similar to ipads?
You should probably wait till the 12th before you make any rash decisions.

Rengoku

Xperia Z3 Tablet, Its lighter than it's competition (even lighter than the Nexus 7), nearly as thin as the new ipad air 2 (6.1 mm vs 6.4 mm) and currently has the best battery life.

Weight Comparison:

Ipad Mini 3 - 331g
Ipad Air 2 - 437g
Galaxy Tab S 8.4 - 294g
Nexus 7 2013 - 290g
Xperia Z3 Tablet - 270g

Rdm4RCS.png

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z3-Tablet-Compact-Review_id3843/page/4

kinn

Probably the Galaxy Tab S. Great battery life. Looking at it myself and hoping for some deal come black Friday.

Xperia Z3 Tablet, Its lighter than it's competition (even lighter than the Nexus 7), nearly as thin as the new ipad air 2 (6.1 mm vs 6.4 mm) and currently has the best battery life.

Rdm4RCS.png

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z3-Tablet-Compact-Review_id3843/page/4

Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose the bloatware isn't too bad on the sony?

kinn

Final final Lollipop release........ maybe.

That's a big maybe though. I can't see an update almost doubling the battery life. I have 14 days to return and get a refund so I might try the nexus out for a couple of more days. Read that some people are getting a better battery life after a full drain etc.

That's a big maybe though. I can't see an update almost doubling the battery life. I have 14 days to return and get a refund so I might try the nexus out for a couple of more days. Read that some people are getting a better battery life after a full drain etc.
Don't wait, return your device before that deadline. There was a lot of hardware variance with early 2013 N7s in terms of flickering and inaccurate screens as well as build quality and ultimately the issues were hardware based with limited software remedies available.

The woes of being a tech early adopter. If you liked what you saw though, maybe consider getting one a bit later.

TxdoHawk

Battery life is also not good. Currently as I type this post on the nexus itself, I've had just roughly 4 hours of screen time! With about 15% remaining and its stating that I have about 50 mins left. This is with no gaming or anything intense at all. Just GAF internet WiFi browsing. This is the biggest deal breaker for me. How google is getting that 9 hour plus figure I dunno.I haven't even tried any gaming yet! Wonder how long the battery would last then!

Wow, that is awful. Have you checked your battery usage screen to see if it looks like something is using an abnormal amount of juice?

kinn

Don't wait, return your device before that deadline. There was a lot of hardware variance with early 2013 N7s in terms of flickering and inaccurate screens as well as build quality and ultimately the issues were hardware based with limited software remedies available.

The woes of being a tech early adopter. If you liked what you saw though, maybe consider getting one a bit later.

Yeah I'm thinking I'm done with this. Especially after the big fuck you to early adopters that HTC did with that 200 dollars off offer. I'm probably gonna stick with the iPad air for now...

Wow, that is awful. Have you checked your battery usage screen to see if it looks like something is using an abnormal amount of juice?

Nothing just android os, android system, chrome and screen. And only the latter two taking up the juice.

And WTF! Its at 7% and charging and its saying that its gonna take 1 day and 1 hour to fully charge to 100%?!!

NotBacon

That seems very abnormal. Well only slightly. Some reviewers were reporting similar findings, but others were reporting phenomenal battery life, so.....

That's a big maybe though. I can't see an update almost doubling the battery life.

Moto 360

kinn

That seems very abnormal. Well only slightly. Some reviewers were reporting similar findings, but others were reporting phenomenal battery life, so.....

Moto 360

I don't know about the Moto. Did it improve the battery life dramatically?

With Lollipop and project Volta I thought battery life would improve? The sony x3 has a battery life as almost 10 hours...so with the update to Lollipop that figure would increase even further right?

L-gon

Amazon is now showing the 16GB white in stock for those interested. I had this model pre-ordered but received an email this morning with an estimate of a December delivery prompting a cancellation and stern conversation with Amazon customer service. That chat resulted in a $40 credit which I just used to place a new order. I am a huge supporter of Amazon and their logistical capabilities are usually spot-on but they really fucked the pooch with this release.

I'm suddenly at peace with some of the potential shortcomings of the device at a $359 price point.

How is the Nexus 9 sold out and hard to get? I thought the iPad Air 2 would be the hot item for Christmas, since it has 2GB RAM and many more improvements.

L-gon

How is the Nexus 9 sold out and hard to get? I thought the iPad Air 2 would be the hot item for Christmas, since it has 2GB RAM and many more improvements.

It's not.

Google Play Devices shows it leaving the warehouse in 1-2 days and many Best Buys apparently still have stock of the black models. I only mentioned Amazon because GAF is flush with Prime members that enjoy free shipping and no tax (in many states).

Amazon is now showing the 16GB white in stock for those interested. I had this model pre-ordered but received an email this morning with an estimate of a December delivery prompting a cancellation and stern conversation with Amazon customer service. That chat resulted in a $40 credit which I just used to place a new order. I am a huge supporter of Amazon and their logistical capabilities are usually spot-on but they really fucked the pooch with this release.

I'm suddenly at peace with some of the potential shortcomings of the device at a $359 price point.
Seriously? What bullshit, I cancelled after that same email. Going to have to contact CS now.

What a joke, my chat guy offered me the same lowly, shit deal of removing one-day shipping charge. Like I care about $3.99 shipping at this point. I really want to know WHY this whole thing was so bungled. I try not to be a dick to these people but it's hard when just yesterday I was told by two of the CSR's that my order would be fulfilled on the noted date and then I receive the email that it was unavailable until Dec. 24th! Bah, I've done enough bitching about the whole thing, it just really soured the whole experience for me.

shamo42

Chrome uses almost 3x the energy of the huge 8.9" display... Doesn't look right to me. Can you try to disable Chrome in "Settings - Apps - All Apps - Chrome" for your next charge? And use some other browser like Dolphin or Firefox Beta instead?

Edit:
dat wide screenshot!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So far my battery is fine. I've been on charge for like 3+ hours now, brightness at 1/3. Spent most of it playing Blackwell Legacy and I'm now at 55%, and it says I have 5 hours left. Sounds about right. With expectations of 9 or so hours.

Aiii

So not worth it
http://i.imgur.com/nuYAjJH.jpg

Download ES task manager, close all programs, kill all tasks, hell, do a reboot just for the hell of it and check if your findings are the same. This might be a faulty battery, but just might be some background process that's remaining active. If all else fails a factory reset is worth a shot to make sure.

Last night I took my device off of a full charge at 7PM, used it almost constantly for all kinds of tasks, web browsing, Chromecast streaming off of Hulu, a bit of YouTube and various other apps. I took a break around 9PM for about 90 minutes, but other than that I used it consistently until 1PM and at that point there was 26% charge left. Not bad for the amount of use I gave it.

kinn

Download ES task manager, close all programs, kill all tasks, hell, do a reboot just for the hell of it and check if your findings are the same. This might be a faulty battery, but just might be some background process that's remaining active. If all else fails a factory reset is worth a shot to make sure.

Last night I took my device off of a full charge at 7PM, used it almost constantly for all kinds of tasks, web browsing, Chromecast streaming off of Hulu, a bit of YouTube and various other apps. I took a break around 9PM for about 90 minutes, but other than that I used it consistently until 1PM and at that point there was 26% charge left. Not bad for the amount of use I gave it.

Well I've done a factory restore since I'm going to return it. But since I'm waiting a day or so for Google to send the packaging to return it, I've got time to keep playing around with it.

So I've done a factory restore, killed tasks etc with es task manager and won't be using chrome. Will see how it goes.

On a positive note, the gap that I had in the lower left of the nexus nows seems less severe. I was pushing down on the nexus in various places and I swear I heard a click like sound. Since then there's no click type sound that in had before. There is still a gap in the middle of the device however.

Phoenix

Moto 360

Yeah. The update in battery life made me want the 360 again. Wouldn't do it for just 1 day (kinda) but all the reports are that it has definitely increased massively from the update while becoming smoother as well.

Sound like a lot of these products are being rushed to market to reach a strong inventory state by Black Friday.

e_i

Why are there no cases for this thing? I accidently ordered one from Amazon, not realizing it's coming from Hong Kong.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I definitely want to pick up one of the branded covers, but they are pricey. But I don't want to keep this thing without some kind of cover.

ukas

Is anyone else having issues with auto-rotate? Sometimes the screen will get stuck in landscape or portrait even though auto-rotate is turned on. Flipping it on and off doesn't always seem to do the trick either.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is anyone else having issues with auto-rotate? Sometimes the screen will get stuck in landscape or portrait even though auto-rotate is turned on. Flipping it on and off doesn't always seem to do the trick either.

Nope. No issues there. I have had two issues though. First with The Tower game not working and second with the HBO GO app freaking out when I try and log in with Verizon, but I tried some of the other provider's login screens and they're fine.

That's it so far. I haven't had any issues with slowdown, stuttering, flickering or any other kind of performance issue so far.

L-gon

Nope. No issues there. I have had two issues though. First with The Tower game not working and second with the HBO GO app freaking out when I try and log in with Verizon, but I tried some of the other provider's login screens and they're fine.

That's it so far. I haven't had any issues with slowdown, stuttering, flickering or any other kind of performance issue so far.

Would you say the build quality is on par with or better than the Nexus 5? I'm perfectly happy with the N5 while many finicky folks on the internet bashed its fit and finish.

Your impressions have been appreciated and I look forward to getting my hands on this tomorrow to confirm what I suspected - that the middling reviews and impressions are coming from the overly-anal tech crowd.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Would you say the build quality is on par with or better than the Nexus 5? I'm perfectly happy with the N5 while many finicky folks on the internet bashed its fit and finish.

Your impressions have been appreciated and I look forward to getting my hands on this tomorrow to confirm what I suspected - that the middling reviews and impressions are coming from the overly-anal tech crowd.

I don't have much hands on experience with the Nexus 5, but I'm in no way upset about the build quality. It feels pretty sturdy and the whole loose backing thing is not even remotely noticeable unless you're inspecting the device and looking for it. The metal frame is nice and sturdy. Overall it feels quite nice in the hand. My hands are also just big enough to one hand it if I want. I'm actually liking the 4:3 aspect ratio. All the apps I've used so far have been great int it and it definitely is a better experience both in landscape and portrait mode for web browsing and most other tasks.

The specs on this guy remind me of an ipad air. Please correct me if i'm wrong tabletGAF. For the price I would rather get an ipad. I just got an yahoo email with an headline that says
"Google's Nexus 9: Ultimate iPad Killer"

As of now, I say no. The Galaxy tabs are hot fire.

L-gon

It feels pretty sturdy and the whole loose backing thing is not even remotely noticeable unless you're inspecting the device and looking for it. The metal frame is nice and sturdy. Overall it feels quite nice in the hand.

Thanks. This was my suspicion but it's nice to hear nonetheless.

The specs on this guy remind me of an ipad air. Please correct me if i'm wrong tabletGAF. For the price I would rather get an ipad.

The specs and performance seem to put the N9 a bit above the original iPad Air and mostly behind the Air 2 with the exception of single core operations and some graphics applications. That said, any decent tablet produced in the past two years has plenty of horsepower.

I enjoy the build quality of iPads but can't go back to iOS and its wall of icons.

I ended up taking mine back to bestbuy. the screen was nowhere near as good as my tab pro 8.4 and most of my games i play on it ran really bad or didn't start at all. really disappointed with the build quality of this tablet when i paid 250$ brand new for my tab pro and it is much nicer.

ashylarry

I bought the Nexus 9 yesterday. Today I came home and the battery was around ~94%. Been surfing for 1.5 hours and the battery went down to 64% only from surfing the web.
Is this normal or is something wrong with the battery?

I had the same problem with chrome draining the device more than the display as the poster above mentioned.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'll have to test tonight how my usage is on Chrome. Didn't really see any dramatic drop during the time I was using it last night, but then again I only really used it a total of like an hour at most though, majority of my time was spent playing Blackwell.

So far standby is doing pretty great. Been off charge since 7:30am and with some super light usage, mostly checking a few emails and what not at 1/3 brightness, I'm still at 95% charge at 2:22pm.

Toki767

I bought the Nexus 9 yesterday. Today I came home and the battery was around ~94%. Been surfing for 1.5 hours and the battery went down to 64% only from surfing the web.
Is this normal or is something wrong with the battery?

I had the same problem with chrome draining the device more than the display as the poster above mentioned.

Maybe you should try Firefox. Chrome seems to be a big battery hog in this for some reason.

ukas

Looks like my sensors are hosed. I have a new one on the way.

kinn

No issues with auto rotate here.

HGStormy

Banned
Why people want 16:9 tablets is beyond me
4:3 is the superior ratio for productivity and media consumption

16:9 is only good for Media

I've been trying to tell people this for years.
4:3 makes it way easier to hold and carry around. 16:9 tablets are awkward above 7"

Stasis

Getting mine tomorrow. Gonna accept delivery and give it a chance.

First sign of mediocrity and back it goes. I'm not messing around with this one.

L-gon

Getting mine tomorrow. Gonna accept delivery and give it a chance.

First sign of mediocrity and back it goes. I'm not messing around with this one.

Probably just decline the shipment. A comment like this leaves little doubt that you will be disappointed.

I'm sure you've read some reviews so you already know there are some quirks to put up with.

kinn

Well I'm now at 4% remaining and looks like I will just about reach 5 hours again. Wasn't using chrome but dolphin browser this time. But again it looks like the browser is sucking more juice than the screen. 49% dolphin and 20% screen.

KeRaSh

What a sexy device. I still don't understand why Google won't let HTC make another Nexus phone... (I actually have no idea how the Nexus process works. Maybe HTC refused? Loved my HTC Desire)

Apparently I'm the only one left who thinks an aspect ratio of 4:3 on a tablet is the worst thing ever. Yes, it's great for browsing the internet but it completely ruins watching Youtube, Twitch or any other kind of video content.
I'd rather have a slightly worse browsing experience and a great video watching experience than a great browsing experience and a crappy video watching experience.

If this was 16:10 (or 16:9) I'd buy this on top of my Nexus 10 and iPad mini retina in an instant. I only suffer through the iPad situation for Apple TV.

What a sexy device. I still don't understand why Google won't let HTC make another Nexus phone... (I actually have no idea how the Nexus process works. Maybe HTC refused? Loved my HTC Desire)

Apparently I'm the only one left who thinks an aspect ratio of 4:3 on a tablet is the worst thing ever. Yes, it's great for browsing the internet but it completely ruins watching Youtube, Twitch or any other kind of video content.
I'd rather have a slightly worse browsing experience and a great video watching experience than a great browsing experience and a crappy video watching experience.

If this was 16:10 (or 16:9) I'd buy this on top of my Nexus 10 and iPad mini retina in an instant. I only suffer through the iPad situation for Apple TV.

I agree with 4:3 being not very good. On top of video, I prefer 16:10 for ebook and comic reading.

kehs

Banned

They ask OEMs to submit platforms for Nexus devices with a few specs. So either no one wanted to step up to a 4:3 tablet with 64 bit, or the rest were trash (which is no surprise when it comes to android tablets).

The other part of that is that creating a Nexus devices has you open up alot of your proprietary tech underneath, or HTC doesn't want to compete with itself in the phone forefront.

JordanKZ

My battery life also seems to be completely awful. 4 1/2 hours SoT and I'm down to 19%.

Lollipop has some huge battery bugs at the moment. If you use the tablet and only use local storage rather than WiFi, there's huge battery improvements. This is probably why it was delayed a week.

I'm not worried. They'll get fixed, there's never been a x.0 a android release without massive bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom