• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

farisr

It's easy to figure out? None of us had figured out that the missions category would feature the long races that the demo showed us, especially not you.

You have for a long time harped on and on in countless posts about the campaign being barebones without any evidence of what exactly the events would be other than that we knew they would fit into 3 general categories. It's no surprise that you are now clinging on to the hope that it will not take a substantial amount of time to complete, even though if you played and golded the very limited campaign content of the demo you'd know that it will. That is easy to figure out just by adding up the sheer number of events that we didn't have access to in all 3 categories.
It is indeed EASY to figure out after the demo showed us events from stage 6 already. If it was the case that only Stage 1 & 2 events had been shown off to us from both Driving School and Challenges, that'd be a different story. And ever since the delay last year, I had been hoping this game was going to have significant content added in regards to SP but was being realistic about it, and it mostly turned out exactly how I was saying it would be.

I have been long holding the view that what they'd displayed in regards to campaign structure is not going to change (especially since they were sticking to saying similar things with every update they provided us either via events or new info on the official website). They did showcase examples of what certain missions would entail in the past, I wasn't expecting them realistically to all of a sudden have a full career out of nowhere (like some were insisting could be the case).

I did often refer to the slides they showed off that displayed what certain events/missions were about in the categories, and guess what? Most of the events that were in the demo actually did fall in line with those. The only true surprise was the endurance race at the end. And with that in mind, as I said, even in the best case scenario, that every single event in stage 7 & 8 in challenge turned out to be a tournament, it would not be equal to a past GT game. (but I personally think it'll follow the general pattern for stage 7 & 8. one off races for each mission with a special event as the last one in the row)

And yes I did gold the vast majority of the events in the demo, and those took the same amount of time similar events in past GT games took me. The challenge han't changed, and it stands to reason that if the previous game featured many more events than this one, the older games would take that much longer to complete.

Korezo

Yeah - the trial didn't include any offline functionality at all.

The release game allows for some offline play but according to the game's digital manual you have to be online to save any progress. I don't know whether you can play for several sessions offline and just save it later when online or whether local progress is wiped if you leave the game without saving online.

Here's that article. GTPlanet : GT Sport Requires an Internet Connection for Game Saves

Here's the bit from the online manual and quoted in the article:

Vague as usual with "certain contents" being saved to disk.

I hope that's just for the daily mileage stuff, so that can't get exploited or something. Shit is terrible.

Am I a heretic for thinking that Sport has the best intro out of the GT games, imho?

Also, whole 14 people for car modeling. No pressure guys but there is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of cars that people want to see.

ethomaz

Banned
Looking at these scores and then comparing actual long term experience with GT5 and GT6... The latter was much better than the former

Agreed - GT6 was much improved over GT5.
GT5 was more complete and better game even with more performance issues.

The only good thing over GT5 in GT6 was Seasonal Events... everything else was better in GT5.

GT5 was probably the most complete GT experience ever created.

Edit - IQ was better in GT5 too ;)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah - the trial didn't include any offline functionality at all.

The release game allows for some offline play but according to the game's digital manual you have to be online to save any progress. I don't know whether you can play for several sessions offline and just save it later when online or whether local progress is wiped if you leave the game without saving online.

Here's that article. GTPlanet : GT Sport Requires an Internet Connection for Game Saves

Here's the bit from the online manual and quoted in the article:

Vague as usual with "certain contents" being saved to disk.

hopefully someone can confirm that it's possible to, at the very least, unlock all of the tracks for arcade mode without connecting to the server

hopefully someone can confirm that it's possible to, at the very least, unlock all of the tracks for arcade mode without connecting to the server
Is there any info out there on how those tracks unlock? Mileage, driver level, challenges or something else?

Locked tracks are my biggest bummer with the game so far as the very first thing I'd want to do is to run trials on my favorite tracks including the Nordschleiife. Well thats a bummer along with the almost-always-online. Like what happens when the servers mess up? Are you instantly kicked out of events? Does the game persist any unsaved progress for a while until it can reconnect? And for how long?

And hopefully I never *need* to use the one or two Vision cars without cockpit views. Still boggles my mind that they're in the game at all without a cockpit view.

bombshell

Is there any info out there on how those tracks unlock? Mileage, driver level, challenges or something else?

Locked tracks are my biggest bummer with the game so far as the very first thing I'd want to do is to run trials on my favorite tracks including the Nordschleiife. Well thats a bummer along with the almost-always-online. Like what happens when the servers mess up? Are you instantly kicked out of events? Does the game persist any unsaved progress for a while until it can reconnect? And for how long?

And hopefully I never *need* to use the one or two Vision cars without cockpit views. Still boggles my mind that they're in the game at all without a cockpit view.

It's driver level.

Can ffb on wheels be changed? I feel like it's too strong on my T300...

Yeah, in advanced driver options when in an event. I think it's at 5 out 10 by default.

Audioboxer

Damn, you guys are going relatively decent on MC. I'm still thinking 70~75. I feel some reviewers are going to hit it hard. As in 5's and 6's.

Damn, you guys are going relatively decent on MC. I'm still thinking 70~75. I feel some reviewers are going to hit it hard. As in 5's and 6's.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few outlets with those scores. Lack of content will be a big gripe.

It's driver level.
Thanks. I hope I'm not looking at a giant hill to climb before I'll be able to simply run my favorite tracks in Arcade mode.

Audioboxer

I'm expecting it to be in the 78-83 range.

It might hit 80, but I just can't see it beating GT5/6.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few outlets with those scores. Lack of content will be a big gripe.

If any of the reviewers who praised Forza for having lots of content are chosen to review Sport, then yeah, I expect it to take a hit coming so shortly off of the back of that experience.

While Eurogamer doesn't give review scores, their review in progress perfectly summed up what I expect to happen. Sport has made strides in some areas but at the cost of other areas being completely stripped back if not outright nuked. Weather seems to be the latest casualty that went from no dynamic to no weather at all (for now). That'll be reflected in reviews even if after launch support is great (like Driveclub). Add to this the 4 years since GT6 and cut backs won't simply be brushed off.

The good news is the hardcore fans seem to find the racing and online component better than its ever been. Plus a visual showcase as usual.

I actually jumped on an Amazon order for a T300 Wheel last night when it was listed at $300. I then cancelled it a couple hours later because even though I’ve always wanted a racing wheel, that’s still too much money (and space) to cough up for some extra fun time. Maybe down the road a little when I have a bigger place and a different desk. I don’t think the clamps would even fit on the weird desk I’m currently using.

I’m sad I passed it up in the end, but I feel good that I curved my impulse buy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I actually jumped on an Amazon order for a T300 Wheel last night when it was listed at $300. I then cancelled it a couple hours later because even though I’ve always wanted a racing wheel, that’s still too much money (and space) to cough up for some extra fun time. Maybe down the road a little when I have a bigger place and a different desk. I don’t think the clamps would even fit on the weird desk I’m currently using.

I’m sad I passed it up in the end, but I feel good that I curved my impulse buy.

I expect it goes down in price next month during Black Friday if you still are interested then.

Like what happens when the servers mess up? Are you instantly kicked out of events? Does the game persist any unsaved progress for a while until it can reconnect? And for how long?

My guess it'll be somewhat like the demo -- if you're in an online race, you get instantly dropped, and no offline progress will be saved for upload later. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

ghibli99

I loved GT 2 and 6, but is 4 worth tracking down for PS2?
3 is where it's at IMO. Not sure how others feel, but I loved the post-processing effects during replays in this one.

Edit: That being said, if you liked the content of 2 and 6, 4 is excellent. Also the first to have Tsukuba, which has always been a favorite track of mine (and not in GTS AFAIK, sadly).

IISANDERII

Looking at these scores and then comparing actual long term experience with GT5 and GT6... The latter was much better than the former
Especially considering the state GT5 was in at release.

Most review sites are a complete joke. How anybody can still have confidence in them is a mystery.

My guess it'll be somewhat like the demo -- if you're in an online race, you get instantly dropped, and no offline progress will be saved for upload later. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
Totally expected to kick you out of online races (but sucks having to wait for another Sport event to kick off), but what about career events and challenges and arcade mode races?

Guess we'll find out after midnight.

farisr

It might hit 80, but I just can't see it beating GT5/6.
While I think reviewers are much more tough this gen than last, there are a couple factors why an 80 or above is a possibility.

The first part being that this game excels at presentation. It's a lot more consistent and polished at a glance than GT5 & 6.

The second, with the modern landscape in regards to expansions/updates via DLC, I have a feeling the content issue may not be as big a point in many reviews despite a competing game offering tons of it up front. Especially if an announcement gets made about updates being free.

I've seen a couple of informal previews already not wanting to compare this game to its predecessors simply due to the title being Sport instead of 7.

And games like Overwatch despite being extremely content light when compared to a game like COD (while being sold at the same pricepoint on consoles), still manage to get terrific reviews on accounts of good gameplay and online. So anything can happen really.

It doesn't deserve 70~75. It's worthy of 85 or higher. But I know what you're saying. We've had 2 years of scepticism and mild taunting over incomplete builds and some outlets might think it's okay to continue that trend without ever giving the final game a fair appraisal.

Agreed. The graphics, sound, car handling / physics, campaign, online, VR, awesome photo mode, slick menus, good music, presentation and polish that GT Sport has, easily worth an 85 or more.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, if anything, being detached from the numbered branding gives this title at least the illusion of a more objective critical eye among reviewers which can lead to a beneficial score bump. Expectations and fatigue is put aside as focus is pushed towards the new vision and underlying concept of the design.

If online works as well as intended, it alongside the friendlier framework could be enough for some deadline runners to make some proclamations about it being "a fresh new beginning!" or "an exciting twist!" that delivers some high grades. This is presumptuous obviously, but the Sport moniker alone could inject some interest where a 7 couldn't.

Meanwhile, really it will be this thread alone that is most important. I trust the teardown of the GAF collective after a solid week of play than I do anyone on Metacritic.

tusken77

Yea, if anything, being detached from the numbered branding gives this title at least the illusion of a more objective critical eye among reviewers which can lead to a beneficial score bump. Expectations and fatigue is put aside as focus is pushed towards the new vision and underlying concept of the design.

If online works as well as intended, it alongside the friendlier framework could be enough for some deadline runners to make some proclamations about it being "a fresh new beginning!" or "an exciting twist!" that delivers some high grades. This is presumptuous obviously, but the Sport moniker alone could inject some interest where a 7 couldn't.

Meanwhile, really it will be this thread alone that is most important. I trust the teardown of the GAF collective after a solid week of play than I do anyone on Metacritic.

Spot on. My feelings exactly.

spwolf

While I think reviewers are much more tough this gen than last, there are a couple factors why an 80 or above is a possibility.

The first part being that this game excels at presentation. It's a lot more consistent and polished at a glance than GT5 & 6.

The second, with the modern landscape in regards to expansions/updates via DLC, I have a feeling the content issue may not be as big a point in many reviews despite a competing game offering tons of it up front. Especially if an announcement gets made about updates being free.

I've seen a couple of informal previews already not wanting to compare this game to its predecessors simply due to the title being Sport instead of 7.

And games like Overwatch despite being extremely content light when compared to a game like COD (while being sold at the same pricepoint on consoles), still manage to get terrific reviews on accounts of good gameplay and online. So anything can happen really.

Most important part is once users try Online, they will find how easy, how effortless is... if someone tried GT6 online and now GTS online, it is as if they came from completely different worlds.

BSpot

Do we know what the breakdown of tracks vs Rally tracks is? I am a rally fan but I was pretty off-put by the rally driving here. I want to get this, though, if there is enough meat left once you slice away the rally.

Anyone know?

[edit] Oh and I never got around to trying the Drift Mode. Is that good? Bad?

While the game is low on content, relatively speaking, I'd be surprised if it got that many low scores. They did well by not calling it Gran Turismo 7. With Sport it's a different premise and it sets different expectations. Mid-80s should be entirely possible.

Amazon Canada mailed me the game early. I updated it to 1.02 and when I go to play it, it says cannot establish connection to server and that nothing will be saved.

I assume the servers are off until tomorrow ???

Edit - it was updated to 1.01, my mistake. Guess North America still doesn't have 1.02

Top Bottom