• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Jury charges Rivello in Eichenwald gif assault case

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Can someone explain the license thing? Why would you need to have a picture like that on your phone?

To prove your identity if someone questions it based on the license picture. I mean, only incredibly stupid people do this, because you can just say "I grew a beard" so....

Buckle

This jerk would have never done this if he didn't think using twitter anonymity was a free pass to harrass people like this with fucked up intent.

Hopefully he serves as an example to others that its not.

Brakke

Banned
I'm curious if anyone's seen the gif rehosted anywhere? I'm interested to see it. Found one news story linking it a Google cache of the tweet but it seems to have been removed. I suppose news don't want to help it proliferate out of fear that some other ass hole would carry on using it as a weapon.

marrec

Banned
I'm curious if anyone's seen the gif rehosted anywhere? I'd be curious to see it. Found one news story linking it a Google cache of the tweet but it seems to have been removed. I suppose news don't want to help it proliferate out of fear that some other ass hole would carry on using it as a weapon.

EDIT:

It's basically just the image in the OP but flashing inverted colors.

BADMAN

Off topic but I'd like to point out that we now live in a world where we can send weaponized information digitally to physically harm someone. Seems kinda scifi to me.

Back on topic yeah fuck that guy. What a piece of shit.

Brakke

Banned
Assault with a deadly weapon? Not just attempted murder? Would feeding nuts to an allergic person get the same treatment?

Assault with a deadly weapon is not an unserious charge. And it'll be easier to win than an attempted murder charge. Meanwhile, the dude is also facing federal charges on cyberstalking. Once it's all said and done he'll be locked up for years. The Twitter angle is going to make it kind of a weird case anyway, DA might want the easier win rather than a murder charge that falls apart on some technicality.

EDIT:

It's basically just the image in the OP but flashing inverted colors.

Wow really? Just that could be enough to trigger an epileptic seizure?

marrec

Banned
Wow really? Just that could be enough to trigger an epileptic seizure?

Yea, specifically inverted colors as well, not just any old flashing.

The combination of geometric shapes and inverted color flashing has been known for years to easily trigger seizures in highly certain susceptible subjects. The gif was engineered with more than a lay person's knowledge on the subject.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For now, good. People need to realize the Internet isn't a free for all and has consequences.

It'd help if more social media companies treated it as such. The level of shit people have been allowed to get away with in the last year or so has been shocking. If they don't want to get regulated by various governments, they need to be much stricter with their moderation policies.

rpmurphy

A small point to note here that it's not just the one tweet (that Kurt's wife responded to). The guy spammed the hell out of that gif on to Kurt on Twitter, and he eventually saw one.

Breads

Banned
According to prosecutors, 29-year-old John Rivello allegedly messaged another Twitter user saying ”I hope this sends him into a seizure" and ”let's see if he dies" after sending Eichenwald the GIF. Another message sent by Rivello allegedly said ”I know he has epilepsy" and authorities say a search of his iCloud account found a photoshopped version of Eichenwald's Wikipedia page with his date of death edited to be December 16, about when the GIF was sent.

Off to prison with you.

Can someone explain the license thing? Why would you need to have a picture like that on your phone?

Twitter verification (part of expediting the check mark process iirc), stripe payment processing if setting something up to receive payments, crowdfunding sites... there are many reasons why someone would use a photo with ids in lieu of other options like faxing or submitting information over the mail when registering on certain sites/ networks.

Lifeline

Is this the first time a court has ruled a gif to be a deadly weapon? This would be a nifty bit of triva in a couple years from now.

If they do have Spencer on record saying "we" and talking about being part of the planning, he should at least face something, right?

Yeah, those tweets are something else. I hadn't heard about the case so I when I was first reading I was all THIS HAS TO BE BULLSHIT, RIGHT? HE HAS LOST HIS DAMN MIND? but nope. It's not. I hope this nails Spencer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So Kurt just unleashed a Tweetstorm about this mentioning that Richard Spencer is connected to the case.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald
I saw a couple of those tweets and read the specific quote from the article, but thought it was just Spencer being an ass and hopping to claim some credit and troll, but he was truly involved in plotting to assault Eichenwald? Crazy shit. If he can be taken down by this too, that'd be something.

Shaneus

That article so far is quite interesting and not at all unsurprising. His mother is a cotton farm heiress? As an Australian who isn't 100% up on his American history (particularly that of slavery), that's a pretty telling thing, isn't it?

That article so far is quite interesting and not at all unsurprising. His mother is a cotton farm heiress? As an Australian who isn't 100% up on his American history (particularly that of slavery), that's a pretty telling thing, isn't it?

It can be, yeah. Old money in the South is 100% blood money.

Shaneus

This is pretty great, too:
(Spencer's assistant) “Do you have edgy political beliefs?” he asked, looking at me askance. (Yet another bland code word: edgy, discussion club, policy institute, even alt-right itself.)

“No,” I said, “but I’m here to meet someone who does.”

It can be, yeah. Old money in the South is 100% blood money.
Figured as much. Cheers!

TarNaru33

Banned
This dumbass should just be lucky he didn't get hit with attempted murder since he was so adamant on the guy dying so far as to Photoshop something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom