• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Jury charges Rivello in Eichenwald gif assault case

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Damn he was so proud of himself he actually took a screenshot of the tweet the wife sent him saying he caused the husband a seizure. Dude thought he was untouchable using a burner phone and fake emails.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So many people here editorializing the headline and then getting angry about their own interpretation of a factual statement. The most noteworthy part of this story is that an animated gif was considered a deadly weapon by a grand jury.

Somnid

When I went to jury duty, the case I would have been selected for was some guy who beat up his girlfriend by punching her and they wanted to charge him with "assault with a deadly weapon." I think part of the reason I was dismissed is that I argued that the term was essentially meaningless because it encompassed any and all kinds of assualt.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people. They make a job out of trolling.

There's not much to do in Salisbury, I guess. But enough bashing my old stomping grounds.

This guy is a weapon's grade jerk for doing this, and I hope he's ashamed of himself and doesn't walk away from this with a slap on the wrist.

Mesoian

Good.

So many people here editorializing the headline and then getting angry about their own interpretation of a factual statement. The most noteworthy part of this story is that an animated gif was considered a deadly weapon by a grand jury.

It's a brave new world out there. But honestly, it's not that outlandish, it's just the first of it's kind. It's no different than someone using peanut dust in a recipe when trying to kill someone they actively know has a severe peanut allergy.

rjinaz

I hope this case actually scares away some internet trolls. A reminder that the dude received 40 more messages like this, but he stopped opening after the seizure so I assume his wife checked. You try to harm somebody online there should be consequences.

Surfinn

Damn how fucked to do you have to be to try to murder someone with a gif? I didn't see anything about a clear motive. Did he just hate him?

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people. They make a job out of trolling.

The article makes it sound he's not the only one going through this just to harass people.

They are sociopaths, no doubt about it. The internet has made it very easy for sociopaths to get organised in ways that are unprecedented and it's the failure of the people in charge of all the social media networks that are to blame.

I am glad that this time an actual conviction has been made but I find it strange that this is where the line is drawn when swatting has been around for years now. Both are intents to harm.

Murkas

What's (not so) funny is that I'm willing to bet money that these people see this as "trolling".

"Lol I trolled this guy by sending him a seizure inducing gif. Lol I'm such a troll."

NYR

I love how close he got to getting with away with it and then when he fucked up, he fucked up so hard that he literally took a picture of himself with the license, the evidence and the screenshot of the interaction with the wife, lol.

f33vu65.gif

Fuck this guy. My brother-in-law has epilepsy (though, thankfully, not of the photosensitive variety), I've seen the deleterious toll in takes, and anybody who thinks it's "funny" to make someone have one can rot in the slammer for all I care.

dankir

HAHahah he used his own iCloud account that had a selfie of him holding his drivers license?

Idiot, enjoy jail.

Fucking A right. Need to see more cases like this. The internet isn't some magical realm. It is real people connecting with real consequences. The intermediary of a few routers and switches doesn't remove the accountability of your actions.

Surfinn

Fucking A right. Need to see more cases like this. The internet isn't some magical realm. It is real people connecting with real consequences. The intermediary of a few routers and switches doesn't remove the accountability of your actions.
Yup. Hopefully this doesn't open the door for similar types of assault/attempted murder (the fact that the attacker was successful). But maybe him being brought to justice with deter others.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Prosecutors say he was using his personal iCloud account on what appeared to be his burner iPhone, an account that included a selfie with his driver’s license (pictured above). The iCloud account also allegedly included the exact seizure-inducing GIF sent to Eichenwald, as well as a screenshot of the response apparently sent by his wife:

Don't trust anyone, not even yourself.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sounds about right. That's pretty much attempted murder, but assault with a deadly weapon works too, and it's probably easier to make it stick.

Fuck this asshole.

Pleased with the charge, screw this guy.

I am glad that the justice system is finally realizing that the internet is a real place full of real people. I hope that this comes as a shock to the "trolls" online, this is the real world and there are real consequences.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Be worth watching this case carefully. Grand Juries have been known to be technophobes or illiterati when it comes to this stuff.

He has shown:

Malice
Planning
Intent
Lack of remorse

AND a form of complete confession -

But I'd still be nervous they decide it was just keks/lulz* and he never thought it would "work."

* Obscure latin legal terms.

Bsigg12

Isn't there talk about them going after everyone else that sent the image or similar images as well after Rivello?

Dalek

I kind of love reading the investigative trail

It's pretty impressive.

It's amazing that he went through all that effort to hide his identity, then used an iCloud account that had a picture of his fucking driver's license.

I wonder how this slipped his mind considering how many hoops he jumped through to conceal his identity. Maybe he used it to download the twitter app from the App Store?

Good.

And why are people on this board so uppity about thread titles? Like shit, get over it

That's all most people read.

It's kind of amazing to think that an animated gif could be used as a murder weapon. I hope this guy rots; the attitude of "lol its just trolling the internet" needs to go away. The internet is as "real life" as face to face communication and there need to be serious consequences for internet assault.

rjinaz

Isn't there talk about them going after everyone else that sent the image or similar images as well after Rivello?

I don't think that's been confirmed one way or another. The Rivello people just said that the FBI has that information. I guess it's up to the FBI at this point.

marrec

Banned
What's (not so) funny is that I'm willing to bet money that these people see this as "trolling".

"Lol I trolled this guy by sending him a seizure inducing gif. Lol I'm such a troll."

I watched it unfold after Kurt's wife took over his account to let everyone know what happened and assure he was okay, but hurt.

They (meaning, alt-right gamergate types) just sent the image over and over, laughing at the possibility of causing a life ending seizure in a man. A lot of anti-semitic language as well, as you can imagine. The guy who sent it originally was not shy about what he'd done (at least on Twitter) but did seem to believe that Kurt was faking it based on his stream in the hours after it happened.

The absolute fucked up thing about it is that the guy wasn't banned from Twitter afterwards and was left to resend the image over and over again.

Twitter is 100% culpable in this if you ask me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's no different than someone using peanut dust in a recipe when trying to kill someone they actively know has a severe peanut allergy.
This is a good comparison. How you do it doesn't matter. The point is that this guy deliberately carried out an attempt to kill someone.

Be worth watching this case carefully. Grand Juries have been known to be technophobes or illiterati when it comes to this stuff.

He has shown:

Malice
Planning
Intent
Lack of remorse

AND a form of complete confession -

But I'd still be nervous they decide it was just keks/lulz* and he never thought it would "work."

* Obscure latin legal terms.

The grand jury returned an indictment already on Assault with a Deadly Weapon (he was already arrested on Federal cyber stalking charges last week)... did you mean regular juries?

Because yeah the grand jury already did its job.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The grand jury returned an indictment already on Assault with a Deadly Weapon (he was already arrested on Federal cyber stalking charges last week)... did you mean regular juries?

Because yeah the grand jury already did its job.

I was really talking baout potential Verdicts.

Ceres

Banned
Damn he was so proud of himself he actually took a screenshot of the tweet the wife sent him saying he caused the husband a seizure. Dude thought he was untouchable using a burner phone and fake emails.
I don't think he understands the purpose of a burner phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom