• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedele

I'm going to pick it up during the day while I'm at work, then play it later that night when I get home.

What? Not extreme enough for you guys?

As hyped as I am and even being my favorite videogame series so far, I'll have to do the same.

Grown up life sucks, I want my free afternoons/nights back.

dandoolan

Regarding cheats...

I wish the cheats were done through the phone again. I liked being able to save and reuse them with minimum effort.

Falt

the thing I don't understand is, why would Michael's kids hate him, if he is rich and has this wholemansion

That's a deep question. Do they know how their Dad made his money? Was he around when they were growing up? If he was, were they privy to some of his activities, did they see things they didn't like?

I haven't read into the characters, I'm going only on what Rockstar has shown us. So you might know more than I do.

DeadlyVirus said:
Spoiled brats
Yeah, the Sopranos comes to mind.

SgtCobra

Chit-chat about cheats:
I don't think this is the complete list of cheats. I'm sure there will be a good bunch of cheats hidden in the game. For SA even 4-5 years after it's initial release new cheats were found.
I'm a PC gamer and on PC the cheats in the III-era games were actual words you typed in with the keyboard and that was really fun because the cheats had funny names like ROCKETMAN, JUMPJET, NUTTERTOOLS, GUNSGUNSGUNS, CHITTYCHITTYBB, BANGBANGBANG, FANNYMAGNET only to name a few I still remember from III, VC and SA. So I really welcome the return to the classic cheat system.

Heh, I remember doing that too, fun stuff!. Although I find typing words a lot easier than button inputs.
I really hope there are more cheats, this seems rather empty for such a big game, heck I wouldn't mind some cheats-DLC.

Yuripaw

Banned
Everyone has a dark side, it really depends on the person if they are willing to accept that. I consider myself a good person, but embrace the fact I find looking at the physcology of someone who is bad interesting. That doesn't make you a bad person. I love characters like Walter White.

In short I say all that to say buy the game, it doesn't make you a bad person.

I don't think it'd make me a bad person, but there are aspects of these kind of characters that really don't appeal to me. I don't always hate characters doing bad things...killing for the right reasons in stories is fine with me. As an example, I saw the new Riddick movie, and Riddick is a tough bad guy type character, but he also has a set of values and morals. He doesn't kill someone for no reason, and he doesn't prey on the weak. When he killed a bounty hunter in that movie with a machete, it was brutal as hell, but that guy deserved it.

I've seen some stuff on the streams for GTA5 where the characters are just doing bad things, because they're bad people...I can't get behind that nearly as much.

Gangxxter

Regarding cheats...

I wish the cheats were done through the phone again. I liked being able to save and reuse them with minimum effort.

IMHO it made cheating too easy. Cheating should require some effort because let's face it, cheating is lame :p (especially the lose wanted level and health cheats)

kev25b

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it panned out.

ueodCG1.gif

dreamfall

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it panned out.

Baha- that quote change!

I love Sleepy Dawgs, but nothing really compares to GTA. The melee system was awesome, the city was really well designed, the missions all felt really wonderful. But the driving was awful. The shooting felt so tacked on! And those dating missions... oh no!

dandoolan

IMHO it made cheating too easy. Cheating should require some effort because let's face it, cheating is lame :p (especially the lose wanted level and health cheats)

Cheat discussion...

But that's kind of my point. It appreciate it's not like this for everyone, but by the time I'm using cheats, it's because I've done everything remotely challenging and I'm just looking for some chaotic fun. So easy access is essential for that.

Madness

Only 1 day left... Does anyone else feel like you're hyping it up so much, you can't help feel a bit deflated while playing? And I LOVED GTA IV, and can't wait for GTA V.

But I have this feeling like it can't be as good as I'm hoping.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Only 1 day left... Does anyone else feel like you're hyping it up so much, you can't help feel a bit deflated while playing? And I LOVED GTA IV, and can't wait for GTA V.

Nope. I'm just expecting it to be fun and awesome, which it sounds like it will be.

AHA-Lambda

I'm looking forward to it, but my hype levels are still in check, I expect a really good game. I haven't been stupidly overly excited for a game in a long time though; last one may have been Deus Ex 3 as Deus Ex 1 is my favourite game ever.

Alienous

Probably. But being not quite as good as the hype that surrounds it, would still make it the greatest game of all time.

But it is just a game.

dreamfall

Have no worries! I loved IV, and I'll be going through some major withdrawal leaving Liberty City. But every trailer we've seen, every screenshot, everything just looks so different. We're going West! And character switching sounds so promising.

The vastness of Los Santos is going to be so rad. We'll be lost for days!

MJLord

I don't think it'd make me a bad person, but there are aspects of these kind of characters that really don't appeal to me. I don't always hate characters doing bad things...killing for the right reasons in stories is fine with me. As an example, I saw the new Riddick movie, and Riddick is a tough bad guy type character, but he also has a set of values and morals. He doesn't kill someone for no reason, and he doesn't prey on the weak. When he killed a bounty hunter in that movie with a machete, it was brutal as hell, but that guy deserved it.

I've seen some stuff on the streams for GTA5 where the characters are just doing bad things, because they're bad people...I can't get behind that nearly as much.

I don't get what's stopping you...

You enjoyed SR but this looks too real? I don't understand the objection.

Gurrry

Ive actually managed my hype well. Im going in with an open mind ready to be blown away by what ever I see. Ive even stayed away from most spoilers too.. which is uncommon now a days considering how streams and youtube videos are these days.

I got one day and about 20 hours left. Thankfully around 16 of that will be taken up by sleep, hopefully.

I think we need a new thread for the non story gifs and videos.

I wanted to see some gameplay and I think I've just read story spoilers because someone posted without tags. This binary approach to threads for big games like this isn't enough.

Not all of us go on media blackouts, we want to see gameplay without getting a game's narrative revealed

Really irritated now.

hwy_61

Banned

I wanted to see some gameplay and I think I've just read story spoilers because someone posted without tags. This binary approach to threads for big games like this isn't enough.

Not all of us go on media blackouts, we want to see gameplay without getting a game's narrative revealed

Really irritated now.

Go forth and start the thread!

That's why I don't hype myself up for games too much. Instead I keep thinking of GTA IV and how it bored the piss out of me despite the review scores telling me how amazing it all was. So I just figure it'll be a decent game and I'll have some fun with it and that'll be that. Anything more and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Really irritated now.
If you're referring to that Trevor thing someone posted in the other thread. It was fake, completely fabricated information by the poster to be "funny." I'm super glad he was just joking.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't get what's stopping you...

You enjoyed SR but this looks too real? I don't understand the objection.

I think I already addressed that... SR is just absurb. It's not something I can take seriously, because it's just friggin nonsense, where the story is so unlikely that it's not really relatable in a real world sense. It's funny, because it's like a farce of the GTA series. It's the Naked Gun of the open world video game genre (not nearly as funny, but you get the point).

Delt31

does anyone see a way to map out your route without pressing start and going into the menu? Not sure if that was the case for GTA IV but it seems to chop up the gameplay. Looking for a way to do it while still in game.

dreamfall

I hear that entirely. I think a lot of times, it's the game's writers' preferences that choose how these characters evolve, and what types of activities we'll engage in. And some of those actions will be pretty despicable- it reminds me of pieces of Red Dead, where the player sometimes couldn't identify with Marston's motivations.

That being said, I'm okay with this. I want my complex psychopathic gangsters. Reckless disregard for everything around them, intermixed with some crazy narrative development. I think part of me kind of desires this violent, sadistic criminal behavior to make me question my character's actions.

Hell, most of the game when I'm not partaking in the story, I'll just be joyriding/listening to music and enjoying the sights. It's all player preference how we choose to interact with the world- kill everything in sight, peacefully stroll downtown or a little of both when not engaged in a Story mission. The beauty of it!

Gurrry

This will sound odd and pretty childish of me... But I really hope that when GTAV comes out that it knocks Hearthstone off of Twitch's top played games.

The way the beta has been handled has really rubbed me the wrong way and I have alot of salt built up towards it.

I hope all the streamers that keep giving that game coverage move on to GTAV and stop giving it so much love.

Wow just put my radio on in work. Lazlow is on ! Wtf ! Absolute radio in the uk. Should be able to find it online for the rest of the planet. Just played run to you by Brian Adams was that in vice city ? So might be playing a few gta tunes. COOL.

Gaz_RB

This will sound odd and pretty childish of me... But I really hope that when GTAV comes out that it knocks Hearthstone off of Twitch's top played games.

The way the beta has been handled has really rubbed me the wrong way and I have alot of salt built up towards it.

I hope all the streamers that keep giving that game coverage move on to GTAV and stop giving it so much love.

Wow I don't even know what Hearthstone is... Can you elaborate?

Jaguar

Wow just put my radio on in work. Lazlow is on ! Wtf ! Absolute radio in the uk. Should be able to find it online for the rest of the planet. Just played run to you by Brian Adams was that in vice city ? So might be playing a few gta tunes. COOL.

Run to You was in Vice City, yes.

MJLord

I think I already addressed that... SR is just absurb. It's not something I can take seriously, because it's just friggin nonsense, where the story is so unlikely that it's not really relatable in a real world sense. It's funny, because it's like a farce of the GTA series. It's the Naked Gun of the open world video game genre (not nearly as funny, but you get the point).

But the humor and absurdity is there in GTA too it's just not as slapstick as SR. Almost everyone is a cartoon of american culture in some way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom