• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - review thread [Embargo 3pm BST/7am PST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's been mentioned; it's not in the OP -

Gamecentral - 10/10

A lot of people are going to consider this to be the best video game ever made, and whether or not it’s our personal favourite we can’t say they wouldn’t be right. GTA has always been the best at indulging your criminal instincts but GTA V is the point at which the gameplay finally catches up with the dream.

In Short
: A staggering technical achievement that is matched only by the depth and ambition of its gameplay – this is not only the best-looking GTA ever but by far the most fun to play.

I played GTA games before, loved the game play but found the dialogue to be often obnoxious because of the loathsome characters. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Escapist had a point. I know Rockstar are capable of writing some enjoyable characters like in RDR, so it seems to me a fair thing to criticise GTA V for. I’ve not played it though, so will see.

Jeb

Embrace the ultimate video game. Do it.

But with seriousness, did you get the game early or something?

If you didn't,how do you know every thing will be as good as you hope it is? I mean I was pretty certain I was gonna fall in love with IV and that became my all time worst game, shit can go either way.

If you did, then good to hear...still pretty damn skeptical.

mj1108

I look forward to the GAF thread in 6 months where everyone says it really wasn't that great and it was just overhyped.

Game certainly sounds like it has some off mechanics, but in areas I expected. Inconsistent characterizations might bother me, playing irredeemable scum does not.

jmls1121

Banned
Sessler should be embarassed. Dickens, 200 years? OK, buddy.
I really don't have respect for anyone that takes him seriously.

Fjordson

I think you guys are misinterpreting that Sessler quote. I mean, it's kinda heavy :lol but at the same time I understand what he means. Makes sense.

Codeblue

I don't understand the issue here, he's basically just saying that people will look back at GTA V as a reflection of what is happening currently. Like we look at a lot of past media to see what wasn't put in history books.

Yes, that's exactly why that quote is laughable.

Into

"I can imagine, 200 years from now, like our reading of Dickens, the game will be regarded as a catalog of our contemporary travails, an accelerated reality bearing more truth than just gazing at our own reflection."[/URL] - Adam Sessler on GTAV

I love you Ses', but this is insane. At least he topped the "GTA4 has a oscar worthy story", maybe he did it on purpose.

iNvid02

It's about to hit Half a Million viewers... make the damn thread.

Or upgrade me from Junior so I dont have to spam mods.

Yeah great 10/10 who didnt see that shit coming.

Jesus Christ,

Can one of your fucking MEMBERS please start a thread about how Gabe is having a chat about Linux and Gaming evolution..

It has 450,000 viewers... someone please ffs.

i tried to make it but my linux pc exploded

sorry man

Ridley327

I look forward to the GAF thread in 6 months where everyone says it really wasn't that great and it was just overhyped.

I'm not even sure Bioshock Infinite made it a month before those threads popped up. I doubt GTA5 is going to enjoy any such luxury.

2MF

I get the feeling this game will end up with lower review averages than GTA4.

I also get the feeling that this will be a wrong thing.

Yeah, that's my concern, considering GTAIV got crazily high scores as well at the time. Similarly, I didn't really get on with Red Dead either, although I appreciated that it was very good in most regards.

Still, I'm currently playing Saints Row III which I'm not really enjoying and finding pretty sloppy, so I expect jumping to GTAV will be like playing a PS5 game by comparison.

The 10/10 reviews are in my eyes laughable, that would mean the game is perfect and that is impossible, no game can be perfect.

10/10 would be a masterpiece, not perfect.
And yes, masterpieces can have their flaws. I get where you're coming from though. Look how many people gave GTA IV a 10/10.

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but that IGN review quote is funny. I feel like that paragraph would work for a review of any of the previous games. I'm not saying the reviewer is wrong or something, it's just funny to see the reviews for GTA games, they always sound the same.

Sothpaw

You have a point, and that's not at all what I'm trying to say (and not at all what I believe for that matter). That discussion belongs in another topic.

My point is, and I hope this does not get lost in translation, is that it's a hot button topic now in Video Games and it needs to cool down. This is GTA, it's not that GTA's DNA has suddenly changed. These games have alwyas been very misogynistic. So why yap about it now, and not in the past.

I get what you're saying. But I think the climate has changed in games. I don't think saying that something has always been one way is a fair excuse to keep the status quo. People aren't asking for drastic changes that would ruin games.

I don't think non-degrading storytelling would somehow ruin the GTA seires.

Jeb

It's never better to be a cynic. As Oscar Wilde put it: a cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

;)

I'm gonna go with the Yahtzee table
Ffy17tN.png

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I get the feeling this game will end up with lower review averages than GTA4.

I also get the feeling that this will be a wrong thing.

It's a fool's errand to directly compare review scores across games that came out years apart. Scores are always relative to their time period in addition to being evaluations of a game. And of course some games score so high that it's literally impossible to beat their score, even if the consensus is that a newer game is better in every way.

It's one of those things that you shouldn't worry about.

bitoriginal

Very disappointed that it seems this game doesn't have the nuance and maturity of storytelling that Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Max Payne 3 all had.

Seems odd to be disappointed before even playing it for yourself. Seriously, play the game and form your own opinion, especially regarding where the story stands compared to other games.

2San

What idiotic criticism

The whole "omg we need to use the mini map"

Criticism or Dislike in all these reviews...
It's a good criticism. Just look at sleeping dogs. The GPS projected on the road itself. So you can just look at the visuals and enjoy the game.

whoszed

That 7 from the Escapist has to be ignored when you read the review, it seems like the guy doesn't get GTA and it's vulgar satire.

So is something like that the main reason for the low score? That he didn't like the characters or some such thing? Or did he have problems with gameplay.

I don't really want to read reviews as to avoid any spoilers.

Scrabble

I don't understand some of you sometimes. Every given day it's always "fuck metacritic man, fuck reviews, reviews are awful, etc", but when a game comes out you guys get all giddy about the review thread, spend every second arguing on why someone's opinion is wrong and stupid, constantly are updating metacritic every moment so we know that a game goes from a 99 to *gulp* a 98. And then years from now people will constantly spout "man GTAV got the reviews from hype and paid journalists, reviews are a fucking joke", only for the same process to repeat its self for GTAVI or whatever the next big high profile game is.

whoszed

It's a good criticism. Just look at sleeping dogs. The GPS projected on the road itself. So you can just look at the visuals and enjoy the game.

Maybe that option could be there but it would basically ruin the game and the illusion of it being a real place for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Has there been any mention how the performance are on the ps3-version?

Seems like most people had the 360 version as usual. But on streams in the spoiler thread and from people on here who have it already for PS3 the consensus seems to be that both are great. 360 may look just a tad worse and has a lot more pop in but the PS3 version seems to hit that 25fps mark a bit more often, but it still runs closer to 30 a lot of the time.

Personally I'll take that trade, I can't stand heavy pop in with open world games. I'll take a couple fps hit to eliminate that.

46w500

Banned
I played GTA games before, loved the game play but found the dialogue to be often obnoxious because of the loathsome characters. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Escapist had a point. I know Rockstar are capable of writing some enjoyable characters like in RDR, so it seems to me a fair thing to criticise GTA V for. I’ve not played it though, so will see.
I think Escapist has a very valid point. Not everyone can partake in, let alone enjoy, the levels of excess that Rockstar puts in their game. That's not a bad thing, though some members are jumping on Escapist as if it is, seeking to invalidate a very valid stance and opinion.

szaromir

Banned
Seriously? I know a few people working for some of the UK outlets that praised the game and I can vouch for them. Why do these unproven accusations still exist?
Or, yeah...You know..People have opinions and actually like/dislike a game? Just a thought.

Show me two consecutive movies or books from the same author(s) that's as universally critically acclaimed as GTA4-5 are. Or just show me a movie or a book that is as universally well received as GTA5 is at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom