• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
perfectly calibrated
(Vivid mode baby)

Wait What GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lmao

I promise if you sat in my living room and see how games look with my calibration settings youd change your mind.

Game mode on TV looks like fucking trash. Dulls all the colors, softens the image. Trash.

Motion blur and film grain give the game a cinematic look.

30fps on all games
Motion blur max
Film grain max
Lights off
Customized vivid mode (I don’t play with out of the box TV settings)
For certain games, with a darker tone (RE4, AW2) I use a customly calibrated FilmMaker mode (again not out of the box tv setting)

Shit looks SPLENDID
You just like vivid colors, i like natural colors and no fucking blur or grain.

GymWolf

Gold Member
hes right. turn off game mode and your games will look next gen. I am saying this with a straight face.

Especially games like horizon fw and cyberpunk which feature hyperrealistic colorful worlds. games like TLOU2 with muted color palettes dont benefit as much.
If only oleds had panasonic os that let you move game mode input lag benefits into any mode...

I have no fucking idea why lg and the others can't do that...

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
hes right. turn off game mode and your games will look next gen. I am saying this with a straight face.

Especially games like horizon fw and cyberpunk which feature hyperrealistic colorful worlds. games like TLOU2 with muted color palettes dont benefit as much.

The hell's wrong with ya'll

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

The hell's wrong with ya'll
Bruh. Stop listening to guys like DF and TV manufacturers and just try it for yourself

Do this test right now.

Go turn on Horizon burning shores in 30fps mode. First try it in game mode. Then, switch to vivid mode.

Tell me it doesn’t look SIGNIFICANTLY better in vivid mode.

This goes for LG OLED tvs. I have no say on other tvs

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bruh. Stop listening to guys like DF and TV manufacturers and just try it for yourself

Do this test right now.

Go turn on Horizon burning shores in 30fps mode. First try it in game mode. Then, switch to vivid mode.

Tell me it doesn’t look SIGNIFICANTLY better in vivid mode.

This goes for LG OLED tvs. I have no say on other tvs
Only problem i have with this is that the input lag is very noticable in horizon.

that said, in zelda totk i played in standard mode (not vivid) with motion plus enabled and it was surprisingly smooth, and responsive. I think everyone needs to try this because input lag in some games is lower than other games so you wont even notice in something like spiderman or zelda where there is no quick aiming or camera movement required.

P.S Its just think its like when GamingTech and other HDR nerds tell us to use HGIG when it looks fucking dark literally defeating the purpose of HDR. It makes no sense. I always use DTM on. Fuck accurate picture. I spent $2k on a fucking OLED tv, dont give me muted HDR and colors.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Lmao “input lag” the most overblown complaint in history

Anyhow. This is a thread about graphical fidelity. Go make the “input lag settings I expect next gen” thread somewhere
None of my games look better with game mode off btw .. but my game mode is calibrated perfectly!

miklonus

Lmao “input lag” the most overblown complaint in history

Anyhow. This is a thread about graphical fidelity. Go make the “input lag settings I expect next gen” thread somewhere
Laughing is sometimes/often times seen as a detriment on here, as a sign of laughing AT a user. I am agreeing with you but you gotme to laugh with you doing it.

Don't put it past this forum to make that thread either.

alloush

Lmao

I promise if you sat in my living room and see how games look with my calibration settings youd change your mind.

Game mode on TV looks like fucking trash. Dulls all the colors, softens the image. Trash.

Motion blur and film grain give the game a cinematic look.

30fps on all games
Motion blur max
Film grain max
Lights off
Customized vivid mode (I don’t play with out of the box TV settings)
For certain games, with a darker tone (RE4, AW2) I use a customly calibrated FilmMaker mode (again not out of the box tv setting)

Shit looks SPLENDID
This. I hate game mode with a passion never turned it on and never will even on sports games. I just hate it, I am willing to sacrifice some smoothness for graphics unless I am playing online which happens once every solar eclipse.
If only oleds had panasonic os that let you move game mode input lag benefits into any mode...

I have no fucking idea why lg and the others can't do that...
Wait there is such a thing? Shit this is something I have always, always thought about thinking “why cant they let us use any other mode but let us use the input lag of game mode?”. Shit, turned out to be a real thing. God damn why arent the others doing this?
Is the second gif in-game? I legit thought it was real at first. That’s impressive, I wish the entire game looked like that!
I should calibrate my tv but sicily is basically third world for tech and i would not trust a tv calibrator from my city...
Sicily? Don Corleone spotted. Explains the aggressiveness:messenger_winking_tongue:!

Is gunn the dude who make the rather unfunny guardian of the galaxy movies?

Yeah i know the feeling, by the end of gotg2 intro with the shitty teenager tree dancing i was already thinking about a double suicide for me and my balls...
LMAOOOOOO yes that’s him. That’s exactly him.

And you go to Reddit or Twitter or rotten tomatoes and he is a hierarchy of comedy and also a gifted story teller who can weave in raw human emotion and themes into his humorous stories.

Like give me a fucking break. He makes drivel for children. In the same way Spider-Man 2 is kind of for a younger audience. I’d feel mean calling SP2 drivel but the “best superhero game of all time” praise it’s getting has me rolling my eyes

GymWolf

Gold Member
The worst are people puzzled by how Insomniac produces games so quickly. I mean if you reuse the same fucking map for 3 games, that kind of shortens your development time. How is that a secret?
Lol are you fucking me?

I'm tired of explaining people that it's easy to churn out 7\10 games when they haven't made an original gameplay\world in ages...

-Sunset was infamous with ratchet weapons, barely any original idea and absolute shit plot\writing and enemy variety
-Spiderman is an already existent ip, you don't have to create original characters, powers etc, and they fucking borrowed the stealth and the free flow scourge from arkham series, so not even an original combat\stealth system
-Morales, an 8 hours dlc
-New ratchet same exact gameplay as old ones and arguably the worst in the series plot wise (also very short)
-and now spidey 2

Geee, how do they make game so fast i wonder...

Last edited:
Lol are you fucking me?

I'm tired of explaining people that is easy to churn out 7\10 games when they haven't made a ìn original gameplay\world in a decade or more...

-Sunset was infamous with ratchet weapons
-Spiderman is an already existent ip, you don't have to create original characters, powers etc, and they fucking borrowed the free flow scourge from arkham series
-Morales, an 8 hours dlc
-New ratchet same exact gameplay as old ones and arguably the worst in the series plot wise (also very short)
-and now spidey 2

Geeed, how do they make game so fast i wonder...
“The best studio working today”

“So efficient”

“Nobody can do it like insomniac”

“Masters of their craft”

“Never doubt insomniac”

“Insomniac out here making GOTY level games so fast how do they do it”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol are you fucking me?

I'm tired of explaining people that is easy to churn out 7\10 games when they haven't made an original gameplay\world in ages...

-Sunset was infamous with ratchet weapons, barely any original idea and absolute shit plot\writing and enemy variety
-Spiderman is an already existent ip, you don't have to create original characters, powers etc, and they fucking borrowed the stealth and the free flow scourge from arkham series, so not even an original combat\stealth system
-Morales, an 8 hours dlc
-and now spidey 2

What would you rather have though? Look at HFW and GOW Ragnorak. 5 and 4.5 years of dev time respectively. Its not like either dev reinvented the genre or the franchise. HFW had a massive leap in fidelity, but spiderman and ratchet are no slouch either.

I understand your point about the level of praise insomniac gets, but I find that reducing scope of your game is probably not a bad idea in an age where everything is taking an entire gen to make. Forza is a pretty decent leap over Forza 7 but it took 6 whole years. Insomniac did a similar leap in 2.5 years. Look at the leap ND made in 2 years with TLOU remake. insomniac does deserve some praise. maybe not as much as they are getting, but maybe this is what we need going forward.

We live in bizzarro world my dude, but if you say that in the rewiew topic a mod is gonna erase the post to not "derail" the tread...
When I go against insomniac or anything popular on this board, I feel like chuck in better call Saul in that famous episode chicanery.

Where he goes on that rant in court and looks like a crazy psycho despite being exactly right on everything

GymWolf

Gold Member
What would you rather have though? Look at HFW and GOW Ragnorak. 5 and 4.5 years of dev time respectively. Its not like either dev reinvented the genre or the franchise. HFW had a massive leap in fidelity, but spiderman and ratchet are no slouch either.

I understand your point about the level of praise insomniac gets, but I find that reducing scope of your game is probably not a bad idea in an age where everything is taking an entire gen to make. Forza is a pretty decent leap over Forza 7 but it took 6 whole years. Insomniac did a similar leap in 2.5 years. Look at the leap ND made in 2 years with TLOU remake. insomniac does deserve some praise. maybe not as much as they are getting, but maybe this is what we need going forward.
They are both crossgen, i expected nothing the moment they announced that.

And that has nothing to do with praising insomniac for churning out games when they haven't made an original one in a decade or so.

Let's make them do big ass game like horizon or gow from scratch and let's see if they can do it in 2 years.

geary

Lol are you fucking me?

I'm tired of explaining people that is easy to churn out 7\10 games when they haven't made an original gameplay\world in ages...

-Morales, an 8 hours dlc
-and now spidey 2

Cyberpunk DLC Phantom liberty is the size of Spiderman and MM combined and they did it in 3 years while also fixing the game…

See I dont agree that you need a complete engine overhaul like going from UE4 to UE5 to get better lighting. There are plenty of UE4 demos that have better lighting than the kite demo and the other video you posted. UE4 Rebirth demo and the Australia demo have far better lighting than anything we have seen in UE5 titles.

y3zmgFK.jpg

I think what UE5 brings is dynamic GI. Stuff that they took out of UE4 back in the day. However, baked lighting in UE4 can produce some stunning results. And its not just UE4, you can look at TLOU2, Cyberpunk, AC Unity, and HFW to see just how much better they can look compared to spiderman 2 and other UE5 games released so far.

what you need is some different shaders, a different art style, some different color tones or whatever the cinematographer orders, and you can make the same engine produce two wildly different looking games.

yGTPnrJ.jpg

I highly doubt these guys threw away everything and started from scratch. they just put in more work upgrading their tech and look of the game than Insomniac has done. Insomniac did that once before with Sunset. Sunset to Spiderman is a massive leap within the same generation, same engine. Kojima and GG were making games using the same engine at the same time making changes to the code base simultaneously and both games have entirely different look. One was aiming for photorealism while the other is a bit more colorful, almost cartoony and hyperrealistic. kojima made DS in just 3 years. Doubt he did an entire engine overhaul in 3 years while making the full game with just 85 people. He just made some changes to the colors, cinematography, contrast, and was able to get a completely different looking game.

Another good example is Batman Arkham Knight. Its running on UE3 and looks better than most UE5 games lol. Baked lighting using literally PS3 era tech. Just pushed to the max to get the best results possible. Just look at the screenshot of the Infiltrator demo. No UE5 game has come close so far let alone UE4. Tech isnt everything. you need artists to make full use of them.

With all that said, I agree that spiderman 2 isnt a complete graphics/lighting overhaul. I said its a noticeable difference from previous games and well, it is. Not generational, but noticeable. If they werent targeting native 4k with RT or 60 fps at a high resolution like 1440p with RT on top, it wouldve definitely looked more like the rebirth demo or the infiltrator demo.
I've always said this in this thread, It’s the results that really matter, not the tech…

Last edited:
ChiefDada was right all along. Damn.
Ehhhhh yes and no

The game looks better than that god awful embarrassing PS showcase gameplay reveal

It goes up to native 4k in fidelity mode, and the damn thing runs up to like 70FPS on PS5 in VRR. Not unlike Ragnarok. The most cross gen game to ever cross gen. And basically demonstrably proves it’s not pushing the hardware in any way besides leveraging the SSD for some cool stuff. It looks *fine* and probably can flirt with demon souls (launch title) at times as far as raw visual fidelity goes.

But it still might as well be goddamn Super Mario 64 compared to the matrix demo. Or the UE5 reveal demo from 2020. (Running real time on PS5 1440p locked 30fps)

Last edited:

miklonus

LMAOOOOOO yes that’s him. That’s exactly him.

And you go to Reddit or Twitter or rotten tomatoes and he is a hierarchy of comedy and also a gifted story teller who can weave in raw human emotion and themes into his humorous stories.

Like give me a fucking break. He makes drivel for children. In the same way Spider-Man 2 is kind of for a younger audience. I’d feel mean calling SP2 drivel but the “best superhero game of all time” praise it’s getting has me rolling my eyes
I'm with you on the James Gunn criticism, and Marvel Studios indirect criticism, but please look at the state of comic book video games. Spider-Man 2 2023 IS the best comic book video game of all time, and I haven't even seen or played it yet.

That's an indictment of the video game industry. I couldn't fairly praise this game if I wanted to, because there are so few comic book games, good or bad, to compare them to. Half the fucking comic book games are Spider-Man games themselves! Spider-Man or Batman make up a wild majority of the comic book games ever made, be it from guest appearances, or solo appearances.

Even if you wanna go to war with modern PlayStation, modern gaming, modern whatever, that is simply not a big sampling size to choose from to compare these games to one another.

Schmendrick

Schmendrick Schmendrick keep it flowing I want ALL of your tears

everyone GIF
You very much overestimate how much I care. Sorry to disappoint you. Another "meh" in the long list of "mehs" we've had so far doesn't eally have an impact anymore. I've accepted that there most like won't be any big wow effects this gen on consoles. Spiderman destroyed any expectations I've had with the first real in-game material.

Last edited:

setoman

Before we continue.
Everyone need to watch this and remember that THIS is what the Matrix Awaken looked like.
And this is the build BEFORE the recent huge upgrades to Lumen GI, shadows, translucency and reflections.

MANDOTORY: Watch all 100 seconds please!

Top Bottom