• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally tried Forspoken (bought for 9.99€ couple of months ago). Visually the first impression is VERY bad, I mean Bayonetta 3 on Switch bad, but with terrible art direction. Finished the prologue, it gets better. Anyway, the worst thing I've noticed by now is the input lag, that is simply insane for an action game. In 60fps mode is better tho, but visually is even worst obv.

Quality and Ray tracing mode looks basically the same to me, didn't noticed any difference switching between these two.

Luckily, gameplay after the first big fight starts to click in and I guess I'll have some fun. But I was expecting something "close" to FFXVI graphically, instead this looks bad even for a PS4 game (considering I'm coming from TLOU2 that looks a generation ahead).
It looks atrocious. Downgrade hit this one pretty hard., the game was downgraded way too many times.

Game is fun though.

to be fair fallen order looked much much worse than god of war in terms of texture work

fallen order is a game that is actually designed to run well on 2 gb gpus so its texture work is probably worse than uncharted 4 / horizon zero dawn etc. i know this because it was the last game i played with my 2 gb r7 265. and it performed decently within that buffer. it just had early ps4 era textures where games were still tailored for 2-3 GB GPUs on PC (yep)

not to knock fallen order though. it had fantastic set pieces and clever world design that somewhat hide those deficits

Very interesting. I wonder why they did that. I played it on my RTX 2080 at native 4k 60 fps and had no issues all the other PC users were having because at the time it was the 2nd best card on the market lol. But this explains why.

That said, the texture budget on the GOW games is probably 3.0 GB just like it was for KZSF so its not like a huge jump. SSM didnt even try.

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-6-2048.jpg

Some more very cool slides here that show just how much of the vram is wasted on the CPU and how the GPU vram budget is split between various different tasks and instructions.

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-7-2048.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-8-2048.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-demo-postmortem-9-2048.jpg

SlimySnake

This is very f***ing impressive for a GAAS/multiplayer game. Will pick up once busy period at work is over.

That is literally the only part of the game thats impressed me with its visuals. The blue night light lighting up the volumetric fog, and the red neon lights create a very visually pleasing game. I am surprised no on here has giffed it yet.

But thats pretty much it. Other lighting conditions dont look nearly as good.

Lethal01

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Gaming has felt rocky these days in general
I wouldn't be surprised if more start going the Nintendo route and spend less on graphics to get bigger return on investment
If the numbers from the Insomniac leak are even remotely correct it will be the only choice for most of the industry anyways. Those development costs are absolutely unsustainable in a market with near stagnant growth. Either that or games will suddenly cost 100+€/$ again.

SlimySnake

Gaming has felt rocky these days in general
I wouldn't be surprised if more start going the Nintendo route and spend less on graphics to get bigger return on investment
nah, sony is more profitable than ever and their revenues are 2x-2.5 higher than they were in the PS4 era.

the profits are down these last couple of years because they are paying off the $3.6 billion bungie acquisition. they had made $3.2 billion in profits in 2020, so that should tell you just how expensive that purchase was. they still posted profit despite the massive investment in bungie which will pay off in the next few years. But the business itself is very solid if you remove the bungie investment and just look at the revenues they generated from the PS business.

their ceo is a chump who threw playstation under the bus for some reason. he probably doesnt like it. it sounds like office politics to me. they couldve easily spun this but he acted like the business is in disarray and the leadership has no idea what its doing. even though they sold 22 million units last year more than ps4 ever did and topped only twice by the legendary PS2.

I do think they need to get their games out faster, but this is on the CEO being a complete tool. Their profits are going to go up next year when their first party games start coming out back to back to back. Marathon, ND's new IP, Ghost of Tushima 2, SSM's new IP, death stranding, Horizon 3, Bluepoint's new IP, and Bends new IP will help them post record profits from 2025-2027.

Last edited:
nah, sony is more profitable than ever and their revenues are 2x-2.5 higher than they were in the PS4 era.

the profits are down these last couple of years because they are paying off the $3.6 billion bungie acquisition. they had made $3.2 billion in profits in 2020, so that should tell you just how expensive that purchase was. they still posted profit despite the massive investment in bungie which will pay off in the next few years. But the business itself is very solid if you remove the bungie investment and just look at the revenues they generated from the PS business.

their ceo is a chump who threw playstation under the bus for some reason. he probably doesnt like it. it sounds like office politics to me. they couldve easily spun this but he acted like the business is in disarray and the leadership has no idea what its doing. even though they sold 22 million units last year more than ps4 ever did and topped only twice by the legendary PS2.

I do think they need to get their games out faster, but this is on the CEO being a complete tool. Their profits are going to go up next year when their first party games start coming out back to back to back. Marathon, ND's new IP, Ghost of Tushima 2, SSM's new IP, death stranding, Horizon 3, Bluepoint's new IP, and Bends new IP will help them post record profits from 2025-2027.

Sony report 100% of 3rd party game sales and MTX as revenue instead of just their 30% cut. This boosts their revenue amount but makes their profit margin worse. If they followed Nintendo and just reported their 30% cut as revenue things would look better.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Sony report 100% of 3rd party game sales and MTX as revenue instead of just their 30% cut. This boosts their revenue amount but makes their profit margin worse. If they followed Nintendo and just reported their 30% cut as revenue things would look better.

Lol no it wouldn't. Profit margin is profit margin no matter how you present it.

ckstine

This thread has been boring for the last couple of weeks. Anyone want to bet or predict who wins Graphics of the year this year?

Hellblade 2?
Star Wars Outlaws?
the next Assassins Creed?

lets face it FF7, Indiana Jones and Avowed are no lookers.
i'd bet hb2 and outlaws are in the top 3. outlaws is using the same engine as avatar iirc, which was gorgeous. i doubt it with the next ac unless they go even more linear. ff7 is shite, Indiana jones makes me depressed, and idek what avowed is.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This thread has been boring for the last couple of weeks. Anyone want to bet or predict who wins Graphics of the year this year?

Hellblade 2?
Star Wars Outlaws?

My bet is Star Wars Outlaws. HB2 is simply too limited in scope to win GraphicsOTY

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Hellblade 2?
Star Wars Outlaws?

Space Marine 2 and HellBlade 2 will duke it out imo for pure visual fidelity

overall, I think the next Ass Creed will be most impressive

Last edited:

Flabagast

Hellblade 2?
Star Wars Outlaws?

It would be Ass Creed I think.

Ubisoft first next gen only projects have often been spectacular in the past, and they must be betting the bank on this one.

SlimySnake

The new ff7 demo level looks was better than the first. Lighting is beautiful and textures/asset quality is very high. The rocks look very detailed and the detail level on the ground is extremely impressive.

The character models are still the same but the game no longer has that dated look.

Color me surprised. I have no idea what happened with the flashback but this is a significant upgrade from the first game. Gorgeous stuff.

Lethal01

The new ff7 demo level looks was better than the first. Lighting is beautiful and textures/asset quality is very high. The rocks look very detailed and the detail level on the ground is extremely impressive.

The character models are still the same but the game no longer has that dated look.

Color me surprised. I have no idea what happened with the flashback but this is a significant upgrade from the first game. Gorgeous stuff.

Yawn, call me when its got raytraced shadows atleast

18dcbeaf50523-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:

Geometric density is much better as well - there's a fluff piece which they published today with a lot of interesting nuggets in there.

"To create a sense of density within the world map, rather than simply polishing how it looked within a single screenshot, we focused on increasing the actual “quantity” of assets to enhance the feeling of a well-populated map. PS5 has implemented the new Primitive Shader as its own geometry pipeline, and in combination with the Compute Shader, the rendering pipeline was designed to be able to render a large quantity of assets. This approach also matched well with the SSD, which could load a large number of assets instantly. Through this, players can expect a beautiful, diverse, and expansive world to explore in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth."

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Geometric density is much better as well - there's a fluff piece which they published today with a lot of interesting nuggets in there.

Once again PS5 SSD I/O and visuals are much more linked than people give credit for. This is basically what Epic was discussing with the first UE5 demo. For people who don't understand how i/o directly impacts fidelity, here is your answer (again).

Hunnybun

Don't think the Bungie acquisition would have any effect on their profits, it's capital expenditure. Part of the balance sheet.

Although of course it could have an effect if Bungie made big losses in that period...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Don't think the Bungie acquisition would have any effect on their profits, it's capital expenditure. Part of the balance sheet.

It affects both balance sheet and p&l. A portion of the sale will be amortized /recognized from the balance sheet to the p&l over time as dictated by the agreement. Sony has already recognized some expenses related to the acquisition in previous earnings reports.

Lethal01

Once again PS5 SSD I/O and visuals are much more linked than people give credit for.
and file size

"From the beginning, we were conscious of the disc size for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and we made it an absolute requirement for the disc size to be within 150G"
Guess thats another reason the assets are meh.

"The characters in Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, including Cloud, were created based on the PS4 generation of consoles. This time, the models have been changed to meet the specifications of the PS5, and the main characters have been completely redesigned, from their hair to their outfits. In addition to the renewed character’s expressions during close-up shots, I’d love for people to take a close look at their detailed hair and skin as well. I believe you’ll be able to palpably feel the enhancement in physical textures and details. "

hate to say I told ya so, some of us just got eyes for this stuff

Something I have wanted to mention though, is that the characters pretty much all got upgrades and redesigns to their character models.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

and file size

"From the beginning, we were conscious of the disc size for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and we made it an absolute requirement for the disc size to be within 150G"
Guess thats another reason the assets are meh.

"The characters in Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, including Cloud, were created based on the PS4 generation of consoles. This time, the models have been changed to meet the specifications of the PS5, and the main characters have been completely redesigned, from their hair to their outfits. In addition to the renewed character’s expressions during close-up shots, I’d love for people to take a close look at their detailed hair and skin as well. I believe you’ll be able to palpably feel the enhancement in physical textures and details. "

hate to say I told ya so, some of us just got eyes for this stuff
not seeing it in gameplay. there were several comparisons posted in other threads. character models look worse.

Lethal01

not seeing it in gameplay. there were several comparisons posted in other threads. character models look worse.

not at all.
Most likely whatever pic you saw was bad lighting which is totally transformative to how they look, which is why they look great in cutscenes. Not really related to the quality of the models at all and also things that happened just as much in Remake.

Which is why you gotta be able to analyse beyond just, looks good and looks bad.

JRxYNOC.jpg

its easy to peick the worst of one game and compare it to the best or another, but it was always clear the models themselves were improved

final-fantasy-vii-remake-environment-graphics.large.jpg

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It affects both balance sheet and p&l. A portion of the sale will be amortized /recognized from the balance sheet to the p&l over time as dictated by the agreement. Sony has already recognized some expenses related to the acquisition in previous earnings reports.

Some of the goodwill might end up in the accounts, but you're talking a small fraction of the total cost on an annual basis. Almost certainly under 10%.

SlimySnake

not at all.
Most likely whatever pic you saw was bad lighting which is totally transformative to how they look, which is why they look great in cutscenes. Not really related to the quality of the models at all and also things that happened just as much in Remake.

JRxYNOC.jpg
nah, i took several screenshots myself. character models looked really bad in the first demo. they look better in the second demo looks better but im still not seeing the designed from the ground up character models. Other stuff like lighting, textures and the density of objects they outlined in the PS blog are much more easier to spot in the second demo than the character models which still look pretty much identical to the last game.

xZMf3Dy.jpg

zOxDMBS.jpg

SlimySnake

Anyway, I am really impressed by the draw distance, lighting, rock textures/modeling and just the sheer density of ground level detail. I even like the water.

It's by no means a next gen showcase, but it's a generational leap over the first demo, and a very significant leap over the PS4 game.

JnxR2FS.gif

Lethal01

models which still look pretty much identical to the last game.
xZMf3Dy.jpg

zOxDMBS.jpg

I can clearyy see they don't, Clouds pants alone have faaar more geometric density than they every did in Remake, Again, you are simple confused by the lighting, the models are objectively higher polycount and higher resolution, seems to have a better cloth shader too. more detailed skin/hair is obvious to, etc etc etc

ddwwvh6-ea6c1c69-02c3-41d4-a1f6-0d0c820ea834.png

These improvement were all obvious in the first demo. look ath the model, not its lighting.
Its honestly strange that you had missed the leap in quality until now, You bring shame to graphics whores everywhere!

ff7remake__2022_01_07_20_13_28_340.jpg

For future proof here is a good looking shot from the first game,, even in this shot ints painfully clear that the model has worse geo and resolution than the Rebirth one.

Again, what is making you think it looks better is nothing but the lighting.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Some of the goodwill might end up in the accounts, but you're talking a small fraction of the total cost on an annual basis. Almost certainly under 10%.

1/3 of the deal's value is attributable to incentive based compensation. If/when Bungie key employees meet whatever target is necessary for those incentives to vest then they will be expensed on the P&L at that time. I love discussing this stuff considering the line of work I'm in but I realize this is the graphics thread so I will pivot.....

I might have missed the discussion on Sony legacy 1st party franchises not releasing any installments before March 2025 and that pisses me off to no end. While this gen hasn't been the level of doom and gloom many are saying, I will say Slimy was pretty much on the mark as it relates to Sony first party. I wrote him off as being dramatic, yet here we are. I'm starting to get somewhat impatient with the wait for the next visual showcase. Surely Sony has to have a new franchise ready to show off with the PS5 Pro.

setoman

Once again PS5 SSD I/O and visuals are much more linked than people give credit for. This is basically what Epic was discussing with the first UE5 demo. For people who don't understand how i/o directly impacts fidelity, here is your answer (again).
huh? That game looks worse than all 3 three Unreal Engine demos that are on PC and worse than other games like AW2 and Avatar.

The Electric Dream
Valley of the Ancient
Matrix Awaken

We are in year 4, Why are people still desperate in pushing the god-tier SSD/IO none-sense?
Its quite clear that SSD/IO has had ZERO or very minimal impact on visuals so far this gen.

Hellblade 2?
Star Wars Outlaws?

Your first mistake is thinking that Outlaws is actually planned on releasing this year. Its an obvious PR lie.
HB2 has it locked basically.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
huh? That game looks worse than all 3 three Unreal Engine demos that are on PC and worse than other games like AW2 and Avatar.

The Electric Dream
Valley of the Ancient
Matrix Awaken

We are in year 4, Why are people still desperate in pushing the god-tier SSD/IO none-sense?
Its quite clear that SSD/IO has had ZERO or very minimal impact on visuals so far this gen.

Desperate? A developer is telling you, in detail, how their engine's graphics pipeline is directly influenced by the SSD. Whether you appreciate it or not is irrelevant.

One of the challenges we found with Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade was that, in most cases after loading, the CPU processing time required to expand memory for additional space was too time-consuming, due to the high speed of SSDs. For this title, the CPU load for memory expansion is set to be as close to zero as much as possible, and the file format is designed to be a memory-allocated layout to take advantage of the high loading speed of SSDs. In particular, the pipelines for rendering and streaming background models were newly designed. The performance of PS5’s high-speed SSDs was incredibly helpful in loading assets in much finer increments, enabling us to render objects in a highly detailed manner when they’re up close, and more roughly when they’re in the distance.

Zelduh

Ocarina of Time was 240p and less than 20 FPS and is still one of the greatest games of all time. That's all the graphical fidelity I needed then, that's all the graphical fidelity I need now. What, you need more?

Lethal01

Elden Ring graphically is such an underwhelming game. Like how is this getting so much hype? That trailer was atrocious from visual standpoint. Bad textures, choppy(unfinished) animations, shitty particle effects, unimpressive cinematography.

I like good graphics in realistic games, but thats loke priority number 6 when it comes to being hype for a game, its a nice little bonus not a deciding factor and if its the deciding factor then the game isnt good enough in the first place.

Visually the game looks far better than lots of games with superior graphics dui to its great art direction

its fine if you dont see it that way, but best to understand you are in the minority now raher than keeep wondering why 90% of people barely give a shit about the things you mention

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Elden Ring graphically is such an underwhelming game. Like how is this getting so much hype? That trailer was atrocious from visual standpoint. Bad textures, choppy(unfinished) animations, shitty particle effects, unimpressive cinematography.
From fans are fucking delusional. Thats all I can come up with.

Even the enemy design looked weak in the trailer.

These Japanese studios are putting out abysmal graphics all throughout the industry and I just don’t get it. They used to be cutting edge

So many of them are just phoning in graphics and production value. Their games look like shit.

Everyone from team ninja to From, inexcusable visuals

Only good ones are Koji pro, but they use guerrillas engine, and capcoms resident evil team,

Last edited:

UchihaMadara

Neo Member

These Japanese studios are putting out abysmal graphics all throughout the industry and I just don’t get it. They used to be cutting edge

So many of them are just phoning in graphics and production value. Their games look like shit.

Only good ones are Koji pro, but they use guerrillas engine, and capcoms resident evil team,
I agree. Like I'm all for Japanese devs to show some really fucking visually impressive games. Aside from Kojima and Capcom there are none that stand out.
Most of their games are outdated when it comes to graphics but gameplaywise(especially melee combat) they are ahead of western devs.

Another thing that dissapointing in Japanese opens world games that they are empty. It's inexcusable that they have never produced Open World City game that could rival any Ubisoft titles(Let's not mention Rockstar). How lazy can you get? You can't design city with lots of npcs and traffic around it? Why can't they do it?

Bro, I came in here to say how disgusted I am with Team Ninja and Rise of the Ronin. The graphics in that game are fucking pathetic! The worst looking aaa ps5 game I think ive seen all gen and that's a shame because the actual game will be good.

A list of things wrong, all clearly on display in trailers: 1. Ugly image quality 2. Visible artifacting (let me guess they're using FSR)
3. Terrible LODs, pop in etc
4. This ones THE WORST- npc's and enemies past a certain distance animating at half framerate (probably half res as well)
5. Such poor texture work that you can see all the repeating tiles- like a ps2 game

This is a joke man. We're in 2024 on ps5 which isn't an amazing piece of hardware relative to PC, but it's not a piece of shit either! We shouldn't be getting AAA games that look and run like they were developed truly for ps4 being sold for $70! It's insulting, it's lazy, it's cheap ..fuck team Ninja

Japanese games kick ass but this is the one potential downfall of every good Japanese game ...I dont get this angry though unless they've made zero effort to update their engine to take advantage of the more powerful consoles (compared to ps4). This game looks so much worse than ghost of tsushima for instance and that game is starting to really show it's age.

Ocarina of Time was 240p and less than 20 FPS and is still one of the greatest games of all time. That's all the graphical fidelity I needed then, that's all the graphical fidelity I need now. What, you need more?

Go to a different thread then, you are just trolling. I don't "need" great graphics. I enjoy plenty of games that get by on their great artstyle. I love pixel art games. However, when a developer in 2024 is AAA charging AAA prices is doing the least effort possible to deliver a baseline level of quality (and in Froms case they can't even deliver a steady 60 fps in Elden Ring on ps5- havn't even fixed it despite having 2 years post launch), that's where I draw the line. You should have some standards too. It's fine if you don't but don't come to a graphical fidelity thread talking about how all u need is Ocarina of Time graphics at 20 fps in 2024 in your PS5 games...you are a troll and I call BS on your comment anyway.

hinch7

Anyway, I am really impressed by the draw distance, lighting, rock textures/modeling and just the sheer density of ground level detail. I even like the water.

It's by no means a next gen showcase, but it's a generational leap over the first demo, and a very significant leap over the PS4 game.

JnxR2FS.gif
Enviromental detail is way, way up. Which was already quite decent in Remake. Considering the hardware and this being UE4, its a good showing. I think.

not at all.

Which is why you gotta be able to analyse beyond just, looks good and looks bad.

JRxYNOC.jpg

its easy to peick the worst of one game and compare it to the best or another, but it was always clear the models themselves were improved

final-fantasy-vii-remake-environment-graphics.large.jpg

Not in the first demo it wasn't! The lighting being bad doesn't account for cloud and sephiroths faces that I was starting at in horror on my tv

GymWolf

Gold Member
I stopped having faith in japanese devs when it comes to graphic many years ago, and that also include the big like capcom and square.

Ronin look like absolute shit and the disgusting remilk part 2 is not gonna fall off too far from the shit tree aswell.

Koreans are our new hope.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Not in the first demo it wasn't! The lighting being bad doesn't account for cloud and sephiroths faces that I was starting at in horror on my tv

Is this the kind of horror you are talking about?

image.png

If so this is definitely an example of a failure of lighting rather than a bad model.
This isnt making excuses for the game, it needs better lighting, just pointing out where the actual flaws are

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is this the kind of horror you are talking about?

image.png

If so this is definitely an example of a failure of lighting rather than a bad model.
This isnt making excuses for the game, it needs better lighting, just pointing out where the actual flaws are
They have the same face i had when i discovered that it wasn't an actual remake but a turd kh rendition.

Top Bottom