• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Group wants anti-harassment policy at Comic-Con

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

comic%20con%20ap%20660.jpg

Amid the costumes and fantasy of this weekend's Comic-Con convention, a group of young women drew widespread attention to a very real issue -- allegations of sexual harassment at the annual pop-culture festival.

Geeks for CONsent, founded by three women from Philadelphia, gathered nearly 2,600 signatures on an online petition supporting a formal anti-harassment policy at Comic-Con.

Conventioneers told Geeks for CONsent they had been groped, followed and unwillingly photographed during the four-day confab.

Meanwhile, what Geeks for CONsent and others regarded as blatant objectification continued on the convention floor. Scantily clad women were still used as decoration for some presentations, and costumed women were described as "vaguely slutty" by panel moderator Craig Ferguson. When Dwayne Johnson made a surprise appearance to promote "Hercules," 10 women in belly-baring outfits stood silently in front of the stage for no apparent reason.

Groping, cat-calling and other forms of sexual harassment are a larger social issue, not just a Comic-Con problem. And many comics and movies still portray women as damsels in distress. But Geeks for CONsent says things are amplified at the festival, where fantasy plays such a large role.

"It's a separate, more specific issue within the convention space," said Rochelle Keyhan, 29, director of Geeks for CONsent. "It's very much connected (to the larger problem) and it's the same phenomena, but manifesting a little more sexually vulgar in the comic space."

"Comic-Con has an explicit Code of Conduct that addresses harassing and offensive behavior," said Comic-Con International in a statement on Sunday to The Associated Press. "This Code of Conduct is made available online as well as on page two of the Events Guide that is given to each attendee."

Earlier, Comic-Con spokesman David Glanzer told the Los Angeles Times that "anyone being made to feel uncomfortable at our show is obviously a concern for us." He said additional security was in place this year, including an increased presence by San Diego Police.

Keyhan's focus on Comic-Con began with a movement launched in her hometown called HollabackPhilly, to help end public harassment against women and members of the LGBT community. She and her colleagues developed a comic book on the subject in hopes of engaging middle- and high-school students, which is what brought them to Comic-Con.

Costuming, or cosplay, is a big part of the popular convention, with male and female fans dressing as their favorite characters, regardless of gender. A man might wear a Wonder Woman outfit, and a woman could dress as Wolverine. Keyhan and her colleagues -- all in costume -- carried signs and passed out temporary tattoos during the convention that read, "Cosplay does not equal consent."

In addition to the existing Comic-Con's Code of Conduct, Geeks for CONsent wants the 45-year-old convention to adopt a clearly stated policy and says staff members should to be trained to handle sexual harassment complaints.

"It makes it feel safer for the person being harassed to report it and also for bystanders who witness (inappropriate behavior)," Keyhan said.

Toni Darling, a 24-year-old model who was dressed as Wonder Woman on Saturday, said the issue goes way beyond Comic-Con.

"I don't think it has anything to do with cosplay or anything to do with costumes," she said. "People who are the kind of people who are going to take a photo of you when you're not looking from behind are going to do that regardless, whether you're in costume or not."

Still, she'd like to see an advisory in the Comic-Con program against surreptitious photography, and a clearer statement from Geeks for CONsent. She found some fans were afraid to take photos, even when she was posing at a booth on the showroom floor.

"The kind of behavior that needs to be modified," she said, "is somebody taking a photo of you bent over while you're signing a print."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/28/women-group-wants-anti-harassment-policy-at-comic-con/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fentertainment+(Internal+-+Entertainment+-+Mixed)

I have an idea what if we take all the movies, cosplay, videogames, tv shows, books and general fandoms out of this con and make it about comics.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have an idea what if we take all the movies, cosplay, videogames, tv shows, books and general fandoms out of this con and make it about comics.
A-fucking-men.

No time to sexually harass people when you're digging through crates of comics.

On topic though, this stuff is so hard to weed out. We all know this. It's just going to take awareness for all parties and calling that shit out when you see it. If someone's fucking with your shit, make sure everyone knows who the scum sucker is.

Bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha, good luck with that one

Also that has nothing to do with people being harassed at the con, but ok

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Groping and following sounds criminal, but being photographed in costume regardless of gender or planet, is par for the course. Unless it is like, in the parking lot or obviously creepy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cool, we'll just keep all the comic-book related movies, cosplay, videogames, tv shows, books and general fandom. Relevancy is key!

I dont understand what they're trying to accomplish, as I'm fairly sure nonconsensual groping and such is already against the rules.

Are they just trying to raise awareness?

ultron87

I think that makes a ton of sense.

Right now in their code of conduct they just have a single line that says "Harassing or offensive behavior will not be tolerated." Could probably stand to be a little more called out and descriptive on the page.

Well the rules about conduct are quite general
Code of Conduct Attendees must respect common sense rules for public behavior, personal interaction, common courtesy, and respect for private property. Harassing or offensive behavior will not be tolerated. Comic-Con reserves the right to revoke, without refund, the membership and badge of any attendee not in compliance with this policy. Persons finding themselves in a situation where they feel their safety is at risk or who become aware of an attendee not in compliance with this policy should immediately locate a member of security, or a staff member, so that the matter can be handled in an expeditious manner. -
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/convention-policies

Goliath

Inappropiate touching is not right and should be punished but as for the photography complaints they are saying, I think that's just part of dressing sexually in public.

Nobody should be allowed to touch or harrass you but people come to the con dressed the way they want to to draw attention to themselves. Now I am sure they would rather have people taking pictures of them doing their prepared poses which most do but if your dressed as slave Laya, is it really that surprising that someone might take a picture of you from behind?

I mean creeps exist.

There are like, hundreds of other Comicons like you describe already, though. If anything, they should just change the name of SDCC and let it continue to evolve into what it has become: E3 for everything.

Inappropiate touching is not right and should be punished but as for the photography complaints they are saying, I think that's just part of dressing sexually in public.

Nobody should be allowed to touch or harrass you but people come to the con dressed the way they want to to draw attention to themselves. Now I am sure they would rather have people taking pictures of them doing their prepared poses which most do but if your dressed as slave Laya, is it really that surprising that someone might take a picture of you from behind?

I mean creeps exist.

Pretty much came to post this.

But Slave Leia is best from the front so...

wwm0nkey

Groping and following sounds criminal, but being photographed in costume regardless of gender or planet, is par for the course. Unless it is like, in the parking lot or obviously creepy.
On that one, I would like to be asked before someone takes a picture of me from behind.

There are a few guys who try to get upskirt pictures at cons too. Have seen a lot of people try to do it at local con's.

Halo 2

Banned
if you're in public you shouldn't complain about your picture being taken.

Touching unwilling people is childish and incredibly rude though.

Walshicus

Seems like the article is fudging together two issues really. Actual sexual harassment by way of groping etc. and the use of attractive people (more often women) to sell and promote products.

I don't really have an opinion on the latter, but of course the former shouldn't be tolerated.

That said, if most of the harassment is people oogling cosplayers... then I'm not sure what to think. If you're dressing up as Ivy from Soul Calibur then aren't you intentionally choosing to sexualise yourself? Does that make sense?

Kinyou

What exactly is considered as unwanted photograph? Not that I ever went to one of those cons, but I would have figured that if I see someone in a cool costume I could quickly snap a picture. Or do they mean creepshots where someone just aims for the breasts etc.

P44

Why not bin the cosplay it seems to aggravate this shit tenfold. You'd still get tons of people going, but it'd be easier to manage. Photographing cosplayers regardless of gender happens and I'm sure a fair few people abuse that.

I mean creeps exist.

The SDCC can make whatever rules it wants and if it wants to expel creeps taking surreptitious pics of cosplayers then nobody should shed a tear. The con should feel like a safe place for anybody. You can't just say 'well creeps exist' and give up on addressing the concerns that make people feel paranoid and uncomfortable.

What exactly is considered as unwanted photograph? Not that I ever went to one of those cons, but I would have figured that if I see someone in a cool costume I could quickly snap a picture. Or do they mean creepshots where someone just aims for the breasts etc.

The bolded. There are people at cons who want to photograph breasts and asses, not costumes.

I mean creeps exist.

There are rules about creep shots in many states now. MA being the most recent example.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
If there is already stuff in the code of conduct about this, I see no reason why the people in charge cant alter it a bit to fit with what is being asked and send out a stronger message that harassment wont be tolerated

Abounder

Banned
Semi-related but this just makes me wonder how Google Glass will be enforced for conventions and public places. Anyway more clarification on Comic-Con policies and better enforcement would help the CONsent's group cause, and seems more than reasonable if not expected from a huge event.

studyguy

Semi-related but this just makes me wonder how Google Glass will be enforced for conventions and public places. Anyway more clarification on Comic-Con policies and better enforcement would help their cause.

There are already gopros everywhere recording constantly, I can't imagine it'd be much more of a stretch to add in glass.

Semi-related but this just makes me wonder how Google Glass will be enforced for conventions and public places. Anyway more clarification on Comic-Con policies and better enforcement would help their cause.
Comic-Con says no during the panels, but says noting about outside.
Remember recording of footage on the screens during panels is prohibited (see below: No Video or Audio Recording of Movie and TV Panels). This includes Google Glasses. You cannot wear Google Glasses during footage viewing in any program room. If your Google Glasses are prescription, please bring a different pair of glasses to use during these times.

Also, please turn off your device's (phones, tablets, etc.) screens and put them away during the screening of panel footage. Not doing so interferes with everyone’s viewing quality and causes security to think you’re recording the clip.

wwm0nkey

if you're in public you shouldn't complain about your picture being taken.

Touching unwilling people is childish and incredibly rude though.
Normal picture yeah, I'd just like them to ask first. But if you're running by and doing up skirt shots then it's a problem.

Goliath

The SDCC can make whatever rules it wants and if it wants to expel creeps taking surreptitious pics of cosplayers then nobody should shed a tear. The con should feel like a safe place for anybody. You can't just say 'well creeps exist' and give up on addressing the concerns that make people feel paranoid and uncomfortable.

Yes but the question is how many people feel paranoid and uncomfortable.

Cosplay is only becoming more and more popular with Cosplay Heroes helping it become even more mainstream. SDCC attendence is crazy high with no sign of it stopping or people not coming dressed up.

I get people should not be allowed to take upskirt shots and what not but I wonder how often does this stuff happen. I mean someone taking a shot of Jean Grey from behind is a lot less serious then someone taking an upskirt shot.

Nobody should feel harrassed but in an overly sexualized situation like some Cosplay situations are, is it really a big deal that someone takes a zoomed in pic of Jean Grey's but? All of these photos are going on people facebook anyways and people are walking around in public like that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's really sad that people are complaining about behaviour inside the Con that would be illegal outside of it. Being at a Con does not suspend the rule of law.

Starviper

Seems like the article is fudging together two issues really. Actual sexual harassment by way of groping etc. and the use of attractive people (more often women) to sell and promote products.

I don't really have an opinion on the latter, but of course the former shouldn't be tolerated.

That said, if most of the harassment is people oogling cosplayers... then I'm not sure what to think. If you're dressing up as Ivy from Soul Calibur then aren't you intentionally choosing to sexualise yourself? Does that make sense?

More or less my feelings on the matter. People in scantily clad outfits are likely to be oggled, whether you're male or female. Actual sexual harassment should not be tolerated in any sort of way, but there's a certain degree that the human race as a whole just needs to accept. Some people do get way out of line, and need to be told that their behavior is unacceptable. I can appreciate a really great cosplay and sexy outfit without drooling and going into full nose bleed mode. Some people really like the compliments, but i've had one or two instances where people just blow me off and assume i'm being creepy by saying they have a great outfit/cosplay. That shit is ridiculous, and people need to keep in mind there's two sides to every argument. That being said, if they do blow me off I don't make a big deal out of it; I just go on with my life.

Sexual harassment is bad and happens in a lot of places, but I disagree with that lady at the end of the bit.

Revealing Cosplay just adds to the fuel. I've seen some cosplay that are asking for sexual attention, sometimes even modelling just for it.
Of course, not all woman share the same sentiment as that lady, they'll cosplay what they want, but if they have problem with oversexualized female characters, they shouldn't cosplay those specific characters.

I mean creeps exist.

Creeps exist is a pretty bad reason to let this continue.

Edit:

Quite a few posts in here are coming off pretty bad. People seem to think it's the women's responsibility to dress a certain way and not for the creeps to stop acting the way they do.

Goliath

There are rules about creep shots in many states now. MA being the most recent example.

I consider upskirt shots along the lines of sexual harassment and something I assumed most states had laws against. However what I consider creep shots are zoomed in pictures of breasts, butts, etc. Not illegal but creepy.

Edit:

Quite a few posts in here are coming off pretty bad. People seem to think it's the women's responsibility to dress a certain way and not for the creeps to stop acting the way they do.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I think dressing sexually in a place where it's common and well known for perfect strangers to take pictures of you should not surprise people if some creeps want to take butt shots.

Goliath

Creeps exist is a pretty bad reason to let this continue.

Aside from upskirt shots creepy pictures are not illegal. A stranger can take a pic of you or your SO in a public park and you can't do anything about it. Unless the public place has rules in place about no pics allowed, like some beaches, in public places people are allowed to take whatever pic they want of people.

I wonder how often does this stuff happen.

is it really a big deal that someone takes a zoomed in pic of Jean Grey's but?

The unwanted photographs are just the tip of the iceberg, and it happens a lot and Jesus Christ did you just ask if it's a big deal if a cosplayer isn't okay with having jerks leer over her body with a camera?

Xilium

The bolded. There are people at cons who want to photograph breasts and asses, not costumes.

There are also people at cons that clearly expect that and dress sexually in order to draw attention to themselves. I was at this years and last years SDCC and there are a fair number of barely clothed cosplayers out here (mostly female but a decent number of males too), especially once you get outside of the convention center and start dealing with the people being paid to sell you something or get you to go somewhere.

Mesoian

Cosplay is only becoming more and more popular with Cosplay Heroes helping it become even more mainstream. SDCC attendence is crazy high with no sign of it stopping or people not coming dressed up.

I get people should not be allowed to take upskirt shots and what not but I wonder how often does this stuff happen. I mean someone taking a shot of Jean Grey from behind is a lot less serious then someone taking an upskirt shot.

Nobody should feel harrassed but in an overly sexualized situation like some Cosplay situations are, is it really a big deal that someone takes a zoomed in pic of Jean Grey's but? All of these photos are going on people facebook anyways and people are walking around in public like that.

That fucking show...

Anyway, I bet there is a general harassment clause for comic-con; I can't remember the last time I attended a con that didn't have one. But it's not just delgated towards women or cosplayers, it's a universal rule that harassment by con-goers is not to be tolerated in any way shape or form.

The REAL problem here, with comic-con especially, is that most of the harassment given towards cosplayers, male or female, are coming from people who aren't buying tickets, who are just hanging out around the con center taking pictures and who have no purchasing affiliation with the con itself, and there's nothing the con can do about THOSE people, and the further in SDCC goes into the downtown area, the worse that type of thing is going to get.

Everyone should be able to feel safe and secure at a convention regardless of what they're wearing, but people also need to understand that the arm of con-law only reaches so far and only has so much power. As gross as it is and as much as I hate it, cat calling isn't illegal, and people are free to do it whenever they like. This is why I always tell people I care about who cosplay or are going to conventions for the first time to stay in groups, let people know where you're going, roll deep if you're wearing your more skin revealing outfits. It can be dangerous out there for people, and very few of them are what we would consider in this society as "good".

The stories I have from running the con circuit for years...it's a jungle out there.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Partly.

If you were out on the street in your normal clothes running errands, and someone wanted to take a photo of you for whatever reason, it is generally accepted they should always ask first. And if you are just running errands, it would be awfully presumptuous to approach a stranger for a photo in the first place.

If you're in a costume, you're giving a signal that you'd probably like to be approached and asked to pose for a photo, but to just have people snapping you all the time from all angles is overwhelming.

studyguy

I recall going in cosplay to AX and being surprised as to how grabby women were. Like shit man, my girlfriend is right there watching you, stop trying to take a chunk out of my ass Jesus. It's really odd how differently people interact with you simply due to a costume.

Pimpwerx

The demographic at these events has a lot to do with the behavior. A combination of "costume" becoming a synonym for "revealing garb" and young people will lead to predictable results. This happens during Halloween too, except everyone is fine with it because everyone is drunk. PEACE.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

No one is forcing you (or anyone) to look. Or stare. Or drool. Or linger. Or take any pics.

Appreciate the cosplay and move on with your day.

Mesoian

I recall going in cosplay to AX and being surprised as to how grabby women were. Like shit man, my girlfriend is right there watching you, stop trying to take a chunk out of my ass Jesus.

Social ineptitude goes both ways, it's not restricted to gender.

But man, women it get bad at cons.

It does not. The way you are describing this, a woman shouldn't be allowed to wear a sundress because she is sexualizing herself. Don't go down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom