• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

You know what's cool in games?

Choices.

Yup.

FFXIV still the only console game to get this right.

D4UbGE.jpg

You want higher framerate or better graphics? One simple toggle.

Gurish

lol instead of games being upgraded after being patched they are downgraded, i still remember Far Cry 4 on PS4 lost its god ray effect after a patch (they fixed it afterward).

This is ridiculous.

Head.spawn

This is their trick to make you guys triple dip and pick up the PC version.

Of course the PC version will be bugged to fuck too, but the re-remastered GOTY version coming next year... that's the best version.

Genio88

Fortunately i've already beaten it on Xbone and i wasn't planning on playing it again, too many other new games to play...but that sucks, i didn't notice any frame rate big issue during my playthrough so i don't understand the motivations of this downgrade after all these months...it could be an error due to heist update maybe

Console optimizations at work :D. Seriously though, if this is deliberate and not a glitch I support it. A stable framerate is much more important than a few graphical effects.

Theoris

Neo Member
Well I've certainly felt a frame rate improvement and I'm very much enjoying it. If they can't optimise fidelity and frame rate but still want to respond to this I hope they introduce a toggle. #teamframerate

Pandy

I think we were reasonably hoping they'd work on under the hood optimizations like many games do. I'd take the original performance over these changes. It was a great improvement over last gen as it was, most of the time at 30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z6ONWZ7etA
I do much of my gaming on the WiiU, and 'most of the time at 30' doesn't count for shit.
They've legitimately improved the experience of playing the game, the only problem is that they didn't have it running like this at launch.

EDIT: For reference I now play GTAV exclusively in GTA Online, so maybe the performance boost is more obvious there than in the single-player.

_woLf

Has Rockstar commented on this at all? I recall the tree sway issue being a bug...I wonder if this is too. Something that accidently made it to the PS4/Xbone versions of the game from the PS3/360 versions.

I can dream, atleast. The framerate wasn't really that bad, not enough to warrant completely ditching parallax mapping. If that's the case, then I'd like a discount on the PC version of the game as I effectively traded in my PS3 version for the PS4 version for better graphics.

RyudBoy

Already 100% it on XB1. Sucks for people who are just playing through the campaign now.

I'm ready for the PC version.

Honestly, it doesn't even look at bad.

DOWN

Banned
I do much of my gaming on the WiiU, and 'most of the time at 30' doesn't count for shit.
They've legitimately improved the experience of playing the game, the only problem is that they didn't have it running like this at launch.

Your experience, not mine. It was rightfully enjoyed as it was and bought because of graphical improvements they showed in detail, and clearly not everyone wanted these effects taken out to remove relatively small fluctuations.

Losing all parallax and scaling down AF is over the top for the change this brought in framerate.

Framerate was bad during day driving, but I doubt it was a factor of POM. Draw Distance, I get it, but something that was present on select parts of the game? Doubt it.

Except for the fact that this is completely false.

Final Fantasy 14 PS4 'Full HD Quality' vs 'HD Quality' Modes Comparison

Haha wow. What's the point then?

Though it does seem like the 1080 version drops more frequently than the 720. Still...the parts where 720 FPS drops lower than the same scene in 1080...just...how....

HooYaH

Haha wow. What's the point then?

Though it does seem like the 1080 version drops more frequently than the 720. Still...the parts where 720 FPS drops lower than the same scene in 1080...just...how....

I do wonder if FFXIV PS4 version will get the DX11 effects from Heavensward.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They had to get stable 30fps somehow LOL. But no seriously, i wonder what the issue is..

If it really was a matter of dialing back some subtle things to get a stable framerate(which i noticed was almost locked on PS4 now while driving through cities), then i support it. Slight things like that versus a much more stable experience is good, that's apart of the optimization effort

c0de

Can't watch the video as on mobile. Are both versions downgraded? That puts an interesting light on the current discussion that framerate problems on some ps4 games can be patched.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Has Rockstar commented on this at all? I recall the tree sway issue being a bug...I wonder if this is too. Something that accidently made it to the PS4/Xbone versions of the game from the PS3/360 versions.

It's probably like that tree bug. It seems like everytime they update the game something gets broken. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets fixed in the next update.

Seanspeed

Banned
You know what's cool in games?

Choices.
Agree, but one of the common criticisms about PC gaming I hear in PC vs console discussions is that many don't want to tinker with a game's graphics settings. It is inconvenient and they just want to load a game up and play without worrying if they're getting the most out of the experience. Apparently, not having these options is considered a good thing for them.

On one hand, I think this is ridiculous. On the other, I suppose there is an argument for just accepting what you're given since you have no choice. Some people may not want to be reminded that there are compromises that need to get made with fixed hardware games. If they play with a priority on performance, they are going to feel like they're missing out on graphics and vice versa. This happens in PC gaming and I imagine its a big motivation for many people's GPU upgrades. ;)

Ignorance is bliss, basically.

Still, I do think options would be ideal. Treat us like adults and let us make choices, although I think Rockstar made the right choice improving performance here if that's not an option. Its just now people know what they're missing out on.

Of course, this may just be a bug or mistake, but I think if many are reporting improved performance, its probably not.

Nanashrew

Banned
Framerate was bad during day driving, but I doubt it was a factor of POM. Draw Distance, I get it, but something that was present on select parts of the game? Doubt it.

Except for the fact that this is completely false.

Final Fantasy 14 PS4 'Full HD Quality' vs 'HD Quality' Modes Comparison

This makes me wish DF would do some retrospective analysis of the games on the N64 that had resolution options when you had the expansion pak. IIRC Rayman 2 on the N64 had the most options to adjust resolution high or low and sharpness high or low which gave you a good combination for graphical or frame rate options. I dunno how big of a difference they made but that kind of analysis would be neat.

Definitely, I noticed it too.

Thank god, it's not just me. It's actually been quite bad. I'm more sensitive and distracted by pop-in and bad draw distance/LOD than I am over a few dropped frames. It really breaks the immersion for me.

I was really enjoying the benefit of better LOD and less pop-in with the PS4 version. Suddenly I'm seeing shit loads of pop-in and I'm all like "WTF!?" and my first reaction was "Maybe it's me? Maybe it's my hard drive crapping out?"

Do they really not catch this shit when testing their massive 4+gb update? Or was it intentional?

AmyS

Feels like this is the generation of games where development is never finished.

Last-gen too, but to a lesser extent.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If it introduced more issues like LOD and pop in, then that should definitely be made aware to Rockstar. they fixed the swaying trees only when people made a stink

Henrar

Well, this is what optimization in 3D graphics is about - cuts. There's no coding magic - something needs to be cut in order for a game to work smoothly.

Tainted

Yes.

But when I want to play online, I have the option to update. And then go back and forth, if I choose.

I'm not sure how convenient that 'back and forth' will be for you .... the disc install took forever

You may as just well stay current and if Rockstar get enough flak about it, they will patch it

This isnt really a big deal for me, I was playing it the other day and had a great time. Seems to me that GAF just love their downgrade threads...

Seanspeed

Banned
If it introduced more issues like LOD and pop in, then that should definitely be made aware to Rockstar. they fixed the swaying trees only when people made a stink
Swaying trees was likely an oversight. LoD and pop-in could well be part of the performance optimization.

AmyS

I'm not sure how convenient that 'back and forth' will be for you .... the disc install took forever

You may as just well stay current and if Rockstar get enough flak about it, they will patch it

This isnt really a big deal for me, I was playing it the other day and had a great time. Seems to me that GAF just love their downgrade threads...

It sure as heck won't be convenient but I rarely play online yet anyway. I just want to enjoy single player since I haven't had the chance to even scratch the surface of story mode.

And normally framerate means more to me, but it wasn't bad to begin with (on PS4 anyway). I just tried smashing into traffic and could not believe how much the damage has been reduced. I wouldn't care if was only textures but damn, this isn't cool.

Just shows you how limited these consoles are.
Considering the consoles had all these things before, and the game supposedly ran fine, how does it show this ? Not to mention that the engine is probably only partially optimised for the new consoles since its a remaster of a last gen game.

Ot. I have this on disc and haven't started yet. I hope its a mistake so I won't have to keep the game from updating when I finally get around to playing it.

Top Bottom