• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV on PS5 Store Is a Mess

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Holy shit. I’ve never been so confused on wtf am I actually buying. The poor labeling and blatant misdirection is insane.

Currently on the PS Store there is a listing showing GTAV for PS5 for $9.99!!! I was like ok for that price I’m down to try to play this thing at long last. Click it and it’s actually just GTA online for ps5 that’s $9.99.

Then to make things even more confusing there’s a PS4&PS5 version of GTAV including online for $19.99, BUT there’s a GTAV for just PS5 for $39.99.

So now I’m scratching my head wondering wtf is written incorrectly. I assume this ps4&5 version is the PS4 version but it can be played on ps5. While the PS5 only version is exactly that , the PS5 version with all the bells and whistles.

Did I interpret all this horseshit correctly ? Someone at Sony or at Rockstar should be fired immediately.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel you, I can't tell whether the one for $19.99 that says both PS4 and PS5 is actually the new-gen enhanced version or just means it's the last gen version and it'll also work on PS5.

ya68kU7.jpg

Arsic

I feel you, I can't tell whether the one for $19.99 that says both PS4 and PS5 is actually the new-gen enhanced version or just means it's the last gen version and it'll also work on PS5.

ya68kU7.jpg

Exactly. For $20 I’d bite on the new gen, but if it isn’t then they need to start better labeling this stuff.

I imagine a LOT of people were duped this holiday season into getting that.

JaksGhost

ya68kU7.jpg
Well if you scroll down you will see this:

This product entitles you to download both the digital PS4™ version and the digital PS5™ version of Grand Theft Auto V (including Grand Theft Auto Online).

That’s present on PSN, PS app, and web store.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The PS4 and PS5 bundle is not the next gen edition. The next gen edition is the one up for 39.99 and doesnt have a PS4 version.

Btw I got the next gen version for like $15 on disc lol

Last edited:

Antwix

It's like that on xbox too. To make things more confusing, I don't like how they sell "GTA Online" separately and GTA5 Story Mode" separately. I know you can buy the both in one bundle like a normal game, but the story mode purchase requires you to have GTA Online purchased to play. So you can buy GTA Online and play that fine by itself, but for Story Mode, you need GTA Online. Really whack.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Edition & Great White Shark Card Bundle is a PS5 only version of GTA V and GTA Online for $19.79. It also comes with some online money and the online criminal enterprise starter pack.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

ya68kU7.jpg

Reminds me of when I try to find a game on Amazon. There's like 10 listings for the same fucking game, but from different regions and third party sellers.

I miss when shit was simple, and there was one goddamn listing, and that was it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reminds me of when I try to find a game on Amazon. There's like 10 listings for the same fucking game, but from different regions and third party sellers.

I miss when shit was simple, and there was one goddamn listing, and that was it.

The picture I posted is just the top row. The next rows have even more 6, 7 different GTA V bundles with different DLCs in them lol.

There's way too many GTA V packages online.

I expect people will be talking about GTA VI like this in 2035.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

If it says PS4 and 5 then it has the next gen version. Backwards compatible titles don't say PS5.

If you just look at the sale pricing, you can clearly see that the PS4+5 bundle usually costs more but is on sale, whereas the PS5 standalone is not, which is why it is more expensive.

No really annoyance here, what is annoying is that they should make the standalone PS5 version unavailable to purchase whilst the PS4+5 bundle is cheaper.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

ya68kU7.jpg
Yeah I've seen that and it made me smile. Wtf is that... like their "unavailable" mention on games that are like "GOTYs" editions of games of which you already own the base game, so in fact if you want the GOTY edition you need to get the season pass/dlc alone, you cannot upgrade to the GOTY edition... When I first seen this "unavailable" mention I was very confused...

I believe i got the ps5 version for 4.99 or 9.99 a while back. PS store somehow thinks i dont own GTAV PS5 though its in my library and i can download it from there no problem

Aenima

ya68kU7.jpg
If it says PS5 it is the next gen version. The bundle is in Promo, while the PS5 version alone is not, so thats why the PS4 + PS5 bundle version is cheaper.

Aenima

Exactly. For $20 I’d bite on the new gen, but if it isn’t then they need to start better labeling this stuff.

I imagine a LOT of people were duped this holiday season into getting that.
It is a bundle with both the PS4 version, and the PS5 next gen version. Its in promo and thats why its cheaper than the PS5 version alone that is not included in the promo.

Its pretty simple, if a game has the PS5 tag it is the native PS5 version of the game.

Arsic

It is a bundle with both the PS4 version, and the PS5 next gen version. Its in promo and thats why its cheaper than the PS5 version alone that is not included in the promo.

Its pretty simple, if a game has the PS5 tag it is the native PS5 version of the game.
Glad I made this thread then. Spent the $20 for ps5 version bundle thanks to this.

Curious if this games story mode will hold up in 2023. I loved red dead 1&2 to death but have never gotten into a single GTA game. Hope this one hooks me.

N30RYU

ya68kU7.jpg
What? Ps4 means it's the PS4 version... PS4 PS5 means you get both versions.

You can play any PS4 game on a PS5 so they don't need to label that or every PS4 game would have the PS4 PS5 label

A lot of times in the store the "premium" version of a game is discounted and being cheaper than the game itself 'cause they don't want to discount the base game

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Holy shit. I’ve never been so confused on wtf am I actually buying. The poor labeling and blatant misdirection is insane.

Currently on the PS Store there is a listing showing GTAV for PS5 for $9.99!!! I was like ok for that price I’m down to try to play this thing at long last. Click it and it’s actually just GTA online for ps5 that’s $9.99.

Then to make things even more confusing there’s a PS4&PS5 version of GTAV including online for $19.99, BUT there’s a GTAV for just PS5 for $39.99.

So now I’m scratching my head wondering wtf is written incorrectly. I assume this ps4&5 version is the PS4 version but it can be played on ps5. While the PS5 only version is exactly that , the PS5 version with all the bells and whistles.

Did I interpret all this horseshit correctly ? Someone at Sony or at Rockstar should be fired immediately.
You fell into the trap unfortunately.

I saw it too but I suspected something, especially because of the price, I saw the description and it was the multiplayer... So I discarded it immediately.

You have to read deeply before buying friend.

Spyxos

Gold Member
That's nothing yet, try playing Gta Online. You get spammed with in-game calls/texts every few minutes telling you to buy this and that addon. And the whole navigation ingame is hell.

Ronin_7

Banned
My lord just checked there's A LOT of editions plus some shark shit 😂

Just buy what says Ps5 but yeah what a mess.

Mr Moose

ya68kU7.jpg
If it says PS4 and PS5 it's both versions. That's the one I got a few weeks back.
It doesn't make sense that there's so many versions. Why did they have to separate the online?

dotnotbot

ya68kU7.jpg

They only use PS5 label for games with native PS5 version.

Famipan

Buy the PS4 + PS5 bundle. You should get both vanilla PS4 30fps version and PS5 60fps version.
Often the regular version of a game is more expensive than Deluxe edition.
ALWAYS check the ”…” and select other versions and compare the prices. However, if there’s a bundle where the game name is not included in the title, it might not even appear among other versions. Such as the HAZELIGHT BUNDLE (It Take Two + that prison escape game). PSN is such a drag.

Last edited:

jm89

The whole crossgen handling form sony in some areas has been terrible.

I still get this problem with some physical ps4 games, where if i install the ps5 upgrade and i insert the disc, the ps4 version starts automaticlaly installing....... ugh. Had this issue with scarlett nexus for example, and sony and bandai namco both blame eachother when i contacted support.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Sounds like a mess indeed. It gets even better when a game has been on PS plus at some point or you've downloaded the free trial from premium and you get lost in the interface trying to understand if you already own it or not. I was lucky enough with GTAV I guess and just grabbed the upgrade for 10 euros before release.

The whole crossgen handling form sony in some areas has been terrible.

I still get this problem with some physical ps4 games, where if i install the ps5 upgrade and i insert the disc, the ps4 version starts automaticlaly installing....... ugh. Had this issue with scarlett nexus for example, and sony and bandai namco both blame eachother when i contacted support.

That's definitely a Sorny thing. I don't think there is any way of preventing an inserted disc from installing the PS4 version. Other than not having enough space, heh.

Last edited:

Fake

Strange how PS4 used to be good in this departament. Ever since the re-design, everything fall apart.

vkbest

The PS4 and PS5 bundle is not the next gen edition. The next gen edition is the one up for 39.99 and doesnt have a PS4 version.

Btw I got the next gen version for like $15 on disc lol
That is fucking wrong. All labeled as PS5 is a native version, and GTA V only have one PS5 version

Last edited:

Arsic

I fired it up earlier and the Ray tracing is quite nice. Game does look a good chunk better than on my PC.

Also, I have no clue wtf to do in GTA online. I picked gun runner , had to do the tutorial 3 times due to a bug , and then I got bombarded by 900 in game phone calls about shit all while the ps5 controller had voice chat of 2 black dudes calling me their little white boy.

Idk wtf I’m supposed to do. YouTube beginner guides all just say how to make $. wtf do I want $ for ? I thought I could do fun activities with people like bank robberies or see fun story based missions and shit. I tried a team death match and no one readied up so it kicked everyone out.

Guess I’ll just stick to the SP. No clue wtf the fun is for the online but it’s buried under a mountain of shit.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

ya68kU7.jpg
You have exactly right the ps4/ps5 version is backward compatibility without all the upgraded graphics.

I agree with you that they need to fix the wording i think it’s there to fool people into purchasing g stuff than upgrade. But it should say ps4 version / playable on ps5 as a backward compatibility title. Or some kinda symbol which represents that.

Synless

I recommended this to a friend of mine who hasn’t gamed since ps2 on Thursday. you fucking know what? I sent him the multiplayer thinking it was the base game. This thread helped me realize it.

Top Bottom