• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR Review Thread

Game Over - 92/100

Overall, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is a fine follow-up to Xrd. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but does offer up new content alongside a whole bunch of storyline progression. If you don’t already have Xrd, then this is a great way to get back into the series – although you will miss out on the storyline from that game. Those who already have Xrd may want to wait for a price drop since there isn’t a ton of new content, but if you’re jonesing for more Guilty Gear, then this is an outstanding entry in the series and well-worth your time.

Cubed3 - 9/10

With an excellent roster and polished mechanics, this is a straight improvement over the last instalment of Guilty Gear. The problems with the series are problems common to the genre, and although they can't be ignored, they are lessened by the introduction of beginner-friendly mechanics and a cast that's easy to love. Full of gorgeous visuals and absolutely gushing style, all while retaining incredibly tight controls and mechanics, this latest entry is definitely one worth looking into, whether a genre vet or someone completely new to fighting games.

Push Square - 9/10

Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- offers up a wonderfully entertaining, complex game, and the addition of stylish mode makes it the perfect starting point for those looking get into Guilty Gear. It's addictive, frenetic, and varied, not to mention absolutely stunning. If you already own Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-, you may have to take a harder look at this improved package, but for everyone else, this is one of the very best fighters on the market.

Multiplayer.It - 88/100

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
fgs are in a funny place where reviews don't have that much pull, and it's really uncommon for a contemporary fg to be reviewed poorly anyway. i wonder how many times the phrase "easy to learn hard to master" will pop up here.

Dio

Banned
fgs are in a funny place where reviews don't have that much pull, and it's really uncommon for a contemporary fg to be reviewed poorly anyway. i wonder how many times the phrase "easy to learn hard to master" will pop up here.

Well, speaking of 'easy to learn,' Xrd Sign and Xrd Revelator both have extensive, well constructed tutorials that teach you how to play the game in a detailed and easy to understand fashion, which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for SF5.

Eolz

Not surprised by the reviews so far. Xrd is excellent and not hard to get into, and Revelator is an even more complete package :)

Now if only players were willing to try it and not jump just on big fighting games...

Kumubou

I'm really surprised the reviews are coming in as high as they are. The package itself seems decent enough, but I figured ArcSys demanding $60 for an update that doesn't add much on top of Xrd while not updating the atrocious netcode the original game (and every ArcSys release since the beginning of time) has.

Pompadour

Well, speaking of 'easy to learn,' Xrd Sign and Xrd Revelator both have extensive, well constructed tutorials that teach you how to play the game in a detailed and easy to understand fashion, which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for SF5.

The tutorials are great but I don't know if attaching a giant, interactive owner's manual to the game constitutes "easy to learn."

Mupod

Xrd's tutorial was information overload and taught me pretty much nothing useful. SFV was easy and intuitive to pick up just with screwing around in training mode. I had tons of great matches in SFV whereas online in Xrd was a huge waste of time.

Considering I never learn my lesson and have already bought Revelator I'm hoping it does something about the barrier of entry. People sure are talking it up though.

I'm really surprised the reviews are coming in as high as they are. The package itself seems decent enough, but I figured ArcSys demanding $60 for an update that doesn't add much on top of Xrd while not updating the atrocious netcode the original game (and every ArcSys release since the beginning of time) has.

For me this is a real sequel. New stages, new graphic effects, 6 new characters, new modes, new story... and the netcode in sign was more than ok for me.

Pompadour

For me this is a real sequel. New stages, new graphic effects, 6 new characters, new modes, new story... and the netcode in sign was more than ok for me.

I haven't got a chance to go online yet but they patched Sign's netcode to make it better but somehow Revelation's netcode is worse than the patched Sign's netcode? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

NotLiquid

SFVs lack of content could have made the ripple effect more pronounced since this is a game with comparatively boatloads of content (including a great deal of new for returning players), but there's also the question whether Sign even left much of an equal impact on people. Despite it's legacy it felt a little bit low-key in a way. I imagine Guilty Gear's public profile went up a lot after that SportsCenter segment.

Who knows, maybe the easy answer is reviews just don't factor in the price.

Eolz

Xrd's tutorial was information overload and taught me pretty much nothing useful. SFV was easy and intuitive to pick up just with screwing around in training mode. I had tons of great matches in SFV whereas online in Xrd was a huge waste of time.

Considering I never learn my lesson and have already bought Revelator I'm hoping it does something about the barrier of entry. People sure are talking it up though.

The problem with that is different though.
This is mostly due to the userbase being small, and mostly made of fans of the genre/IP.

The tutorial explains really well all you should have to deal with, and should you be against someone of a similar level, not have any problems. The DOA5 tutorial is even longer (and well made too), but that doesn't make it more complicated than GG or SFV.

SFVs lack of content could have made the ripple effect more pronounced since this is a game with comparatively boatloads of content (including a great deal of new for returning players), but there's also the question whether Sign even left much of an equal impact on people. Despite it's legacy it felt a little bit low-key in a way. I imagine Guilty Gear's public profile went up a lot after that SportsCenter segment.

they might not assume you own the previous release either

I hope Revelator being awesome + SF V being [insert opinion here] means GG Xrd will get the breakthrough success it deserves.

At the very least, it deserves a lot more tournament attention/competitors/audience.

vg260

It's a shame Capcom bungled implementation of their service model so far, because on paper it's much friendlier than this. The SFV example on the surface helps validate the model used here, even though $60 new iteration model that wipes out the old player base doesn't do their potential audience growth any favors.

Pompadour

I hope Revelator being awesome + SF V being [insert opinion here] means GG Xrd will get the breakthrough success it deserves.

At the very least, it deserves a lot more tournament attention/competitors/audience.

It won't. And tournament wise, it's fine. The Guilty Gear series isn't having problems finding a competitive playerbase. Expecting it to replace Street Fighter as a multimillion seller with a casual fanbase is unrealistic. If anything, the throne will just be abdicated.

All I need from it is enough people to find matches quickly and a decent net code.

It won't. And tournament wise, it's fine. The Guilty Gear series isn't having problems finding a competitive playerbase. Expecting it to replace Street Fighter as a multimillion seller with a casual fanbase is unrealistic. If anything, the throne will just be abdicated.

All I need from it is enough people to find matches quickly and a decent net code.

Tournament-wise it's fine, but not great. I'm not expecting anything, I'm hoping.

I think the game has growth potential beyond the current audience. Not a casual, multi-million audience, but I think it has room to grow.

Sign has an absolutely god awful tutorial for beginners.

vg260

You think? I thought it was pretty straight forward. I guess it's up to opinion.

I didn't think it was that beginner friendly, either. Maybe because by nature, there's so much more to cover, but even for someone who has played a ton of fighting games, it was kind of a chore. More so then some others like KI were I went in feeling equally clueless.

I really wonder how much patience beginners have for tutorials in general though. I don't think it's much. It feels like there's a fine line between too little tutorial and information overload.

Kumubou

they might not assume you own the previous release either
I think assuming that one way or the other would be a mistake, as it definitely changes the value proposition. It's a lot easier for a more casual player to justify paying for the game if they never bought the previous release. It's a non-question for the core audience as they will easily get more than $60 worth out of the updates (and I presume that's why ArcSys releases their updates this way). The issues with the netcode are also not immediately obvious until you try to do things like combos and setups with tight timing requirements, or if you are trying to react to situations that are hard to react to under normal circumstances.

FSLink

Banned
I didn't think it was that beginner friendly, either. Maybe because by nature, there's so much more to cover, but even for someone who has played a ton of fighting games, it was kind of a chore. More so then some others like KI were I went in feeling equally clueless.

I really wonder how much patience beginners have for tutorials in general though. I don't think it's much. It feels like there's a fine line between too little tutorial and information overload.

Definitely felt like information overload, and I'm not new at fighting games at all and play a few of them competitively. I plan on picking this up, but I wouldn't recommend GG for beginners even with it having a semi competent tutorial.

Skilletor

I think assuming that one way or the other would be a mistake, as it definitely changes the value proposition. It's a lot easier for a more casual player to justify paying for the game if they never bought the previous release. It's a non-question for the core audience as they will easily get more than $60 worth out of the updates (and I presume that's why ArcSys releases their updates this way). The issues with the netcode are also not immediately obvious until you try to do things like combos and setups with tight timing requirements, or if you are trying to react to situations that are hard to react to under normal circumstances.

It is impossible for me to play Chipp in this game online.

Makes me sad. Part of the reason I use so much Leo.

You think? I thought it was pretty straight forward. I guess it's up to opinion.

As a relatively new player, I was not remotely motivated to continue playing.

It was information overload and I barely learnt anything by the end as a result.

Top Bottom