• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 | Review Thread

Raonak

Banned
Wow, reviewing really nicely!

Hyped as fuck. Demo was awesome and I love that Tekken is leaning more into it's batshit insane story.

nikos

Haven't played Tekken in a really long time but I'm 100% in.

Seems like there's a lot to learn but I'm going to just have fun and see where it goes. Don't want to get overwhelmed with data and mechanics right away.

The PC demo seems like a big step above other fighting games I've played. It even supports ultrawide. Very nice presentation overall.

FeralEcho

Japan has always been saving gaming since the inception. I’d argue the west is the one trying to burn it to the ground like the music and films industry.

Granted Japan sold its soul to mobile and gacha, but at least kept the heart thanks to specific companies never backing down. (Capcom, From Soft, etc)
Exactly,if there were no japanese devs I probably wouldn't be the hardcore gamer I am today.Most of my fav franchises are japanese....Resident Evil,Final Fantasy,Bloodborne,Dark Souls,Devil May Cry,Metal Gear,Yakuza etc.They've been saving gaming since its inception and seems they are out to school the west yet again...

nikos

Not being able to spectate in private lobbies is a really odd omission. Hopefully that's added soon.

Griffon

Without Online I don't trust those review scores.

The last online beta test had dogshit netcode, I'm very worried.

Klosshufvud

My Tekken collection needs to grow.

qIUAkdA.jpg

Here’s a short clip I took a while back playing with Nina:

That poor Lei player was absolutely demoralized in that last round lol. It always sucks losing to Rage Arts. Just very infuriating for some reason.

By the way, that Tekken Tag Tournament poster is absolute SEX. So clean. It's like the cover of an 80's Japanese Yakuza mobster film.

I'll ask again is this full cross play ? I can invite people from other platforms and play with them ? Or it's random fighting online on all platforms combined only

Darsxx82

I'll ask again is this full cross play ? I can invite people from other platforms and play with them ? Or it's random fighting online on all platforms combined only
Yes, It Is full Cross play.

I saw your question before but I didn't answer you before because I'm not 100% sure.
But I think that through the Arcade Quest mode there was an option to connect games with friends?

I hope someone can confirm it to you 100%.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I ain't played Tekken since 5, which I consider one of the goat fighting games

Might have to change that

How is the online multiplayer for mediocre players?

Full crossplay confirmed.

Does Tekken 8 Support Crossplay?​

Tekken 8 supports crossplay across all available platforms.

Last edited:

Edmund

T

There'll be plenty of us who'll just be mashing buttons and having fun. And with crossplay from day one, you'll have plenty of casuals who just wanna have fun to play with. =)

Klosshufvud

Personally can't see how this dethrones Tekken 5 as the goat. Tekken 5 had that perfect balance between simplicity and complexity that made it wonderful. Not to mention just how beautiful it was in every aspect. In a way that the Tekkens that followed didn't. I personally think the series has gone overboard with all these aggressive/comeback additions such as Rage Arts and Heat moves. It's not Tekken for me. I would prefer if they hadn't gone down this route. It becomes very overwhelming for new players and removes that intuitive simplicity and logic that Tekken used to have. It's ironic that these additions that are supposed to make it easier for beginners are just turn-offs.

There was nothing intuitive about high crushes and many mids hitting grounded opponents in Tekken 5. If you had said Tekken Tag Tournament I may have agreed with you.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Not sure if I'll get this I am holding out for the next Virtua Fighter....or may get the last Soul Calibur instead

Crayon

I've been brushing up. I'm going to teach a kid at work who needs a hobby but idk if he can afford a PS5 so I might end up spending more time on t7, ironically.

Im in!

Just need a platform breakdown to decide which version to get.
How do Xbox players cope with that d-pad? I use Xbox controllers on PC and the PS5 d-pad is much nicer to use, especially since it is in the primary position.

Do people use the analog stick for fighting games? Seems insane.

Oh yeah baby, the King of Iron Fist tournament returns! I said months ago this and Infinite Wealth were day 1, bought the fantastic Prince of Persia last week, 2024 already delivering like whoa and I'm tossing $$$ all over the place 👌

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How do Xbox players cope with that d-pad? I use Xbox controllers on PC and the PS5 d-pad is much nicer to use, especially since it is in the primary position.

I use arcade sticks.

I should probably get it on pc but I just want to make sure it's worth it.

If rhe xbox version is working well and is solid performance wise i may get it there.

bender

What time is it?
No I don't think so. It was a dlc addition in T7 but had no online component and I assume didn't sell well. There seems to be some sort of force mode incorporated into the story mode though.

Thanks. I thought bowling in T7 was part of one of the Season Passes but I didn't purchase that game until later in its' lifecycle.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't care that everyone will main Reina. That kimono fit with the mask, and toes out is just too good. Harada you just helped bury MK some more. Good, that franchise needs a whole overhaul!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My Tekken collection needs to grow.

qIUAkdA.jpg

Here’s a short clip I took a while back playing with Nina:

Bro you're slacking, Platinum editions and missing games.
I even have Tekken Hybrid

I kid, your collection is great 💪

nikos

I use arcade sticks.

I should probably get it on pc but I just want to make sure it's worth it.

If rhe xbox version is working well and is solid performance wise i may get it there.

There's a demo for each platform. PC version is great in my experience.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Full crossplay confirmed.

Does Tekken 8 Support Crossplay?​

Tekken 8 supports crossplay across all available platforms.
That's not what he asked though, you can have cross play through matchmaking but not invites, but CBT and CNT players have confirmed it has a friends list for invites.

The Xbox d pad works fine for fg's ....it's the sound of that thing that I can't tolerate. It's the loudest most annoying d pad ever

I played the game for a few days, its good. But why in 2024 they still have these low bitrate cutscenes is beyond me. We used to have cutscenes look way better than actual gameplay to now totally opposite, its quite jarring. As if they are still having that arcade mentality, it feels weird and very noticable especially when they put so much effort in other fields. All I can say im enjoying T8 way more than MK1 and thats coming from an MK fan.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Did any of the reviews mention anything about the PS5 image quality being sharper/cleaner in the final game? The demo looked good but it was a bit washed out and bright IMO no matter how much i played with the settings.....

Top Bottom