• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Fusebox

Banned
I like Duckys montage so I made one of my own, I really need to take better photos of my guitars someday though...

6669766853_328e059ab7_b.jpg

Bugger, the app I used chopped the tops of my headstocks off. :(

I'm envious of the people who have enough money to get the same guitar in two different colors.

Tch, you sound like my grandmother. They sound different
maybe
. Besides, makes it easier to do different tunings and setups. I have two Les Pauls, the black one is for open-E, my sunburst is in standard. Saves me those precious 30s tuning half the strings.

Since all my links got broken.

Are the mics new additions? They look gorgeous. Amazing.

I like Duckys montage so I made one of my own, I really need to take better photos of my guitars someday though...

Nice! I think you posted some of these in the 'Buying my first guitar' thread, right? The lighting and Orange amp are familiar. Are they all current? IIRC Ducky's montage is loves lost as well as what's currently in her ... cave (thanks Nappuccino for that).

It mitigates the severe jealousy a little bit.

I want to build another Telecaster. Think I will attempt a pine-bodied one. I know that good and cheap is such a fool's errand, but anyone know a good line on vintage spec Tele necks with a Fender-like headstock shape and a 1" neck thickness?

Fusebox

Banned
T

Nice! I think you posted some of these in the 'Buying my first guitar' thread, right? The lighting and Orange amp are familiar. Are they all current? IIRC Ducky's montage is loves lost as well as what's currently in her ... cave (thanks Nappuccino for that).

It mitigates the severe jealousy a little bit.

I don't remember exactly but it's highly likely I posted some in that thread, and they're all current except for the John 5 Telecaster, I sold that as it wasn't getting played.

Although hardly any of them are getting played these days since my new baby daughter has been taking up most of my attention instead, but I can't bring myself to sell any of them, I'd rather put them in their case and into storage so I can pull them out in 10 years and go 'oooh I remember this one'.

Puddles

Banned
Slowly but surely I'm getting the ability to shred. It was a matter of not doing the right exercises for years. I'm pretty fluent in playing medium tempo solos in whichever key you want, but those Metallica/Slayer/insert metal guitarist solos were always beyond me. I'm getting there though. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be at the level I want to be on guitar.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
1834953714_f9fbaf0e25.jpg

My travel guitar, the Martin Backpacker.

I'm doing some travelling in the summer and are looking for a nice acoustic, i was going to take my full sized as its light, but are these worth the money? Could you tell me are they nice to play? how loud they are and if they're set up well?

Mistle

Slowly but surely I'm getting the ability to shred. It was a matter of not doing the right exercises for years. I'm pretty fluent in playing medium tempo solos in whichever key you want, but those Metallica/Slayer/insert metal guitarist solos were always beyond me. I'm getting there though. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be at the level I want to be on guitar.
What exercises are you doing?

I consider myself a pretty good guitarist, I've been playing for about 6 years now. But I've never been able to build up that speed to "shred". I don't really listen to that sort of music anyway, but I've always wanted to learn it.

I'm doing some travelling in the summer and are looking for a nice acoustic, i was going to take my full sized as its light, but are these worth the money? Could you tell me are they nice to play? how loud they are and if they're set up well?

You are quoting a post from almost four years ago...

My impression (haven't tried one) is that they're better than nothing. If you could take a parlour guitar you'd get a lot more volume, but if that kind of thing is still too big and heavy then these are great.

make sure you always practice with the metronome, you will get to your goal much better that way :)

flyover

Recorded with it for the first time tonight, using my cheapie-deluxe condenser mic (haven't tried the built-in one, it's purportedly quite good). Really happy with the results...

You should be. It sounds really good, especially for a first recording test! I love those Apogee interfaces (have a Duet, myself).

Since all my links got broken...
I like Duckys montage so I made one of my own...

Damn, you two! (And "Damn you two!")

I've gotten cheap when it comes to new guitars. In fact, I just keep installing new hardware and pickups on the same crappy Squiers I've had for a dozen years. But if I still spent real money on them, this is all the guitar I'd ever need:
fh5h5.jpg

You should be. It sounds really good, especially for a first recording test! I love those Apogee interfaces (have a Duet, myself).

Thanks!

But if I still spent real money on them, this is all the guitar I'd ever need:

I can't imagine just owning/needing only one (especially now that I have 11). Guess it depends on the sorts of music you want to play.

I met a guy who said he's owned over 60 guitars, but only ever owns about three at a time. He just buys and sells for whatever projects he's currently involved in, or simply just because.

I don't really intend to sell any of mine, but if I'm honest, I could see myself swapping my Greco LP for a better guitar, since I bought it on a whim because I had been lusting after a sunburst LP for years. Will probably try some hand wound pickups first, they did wonders for my Gibson.

genjiZERO

Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I didn't see an official guitar thread (why isn't there one?). Anyway:

So I recently picked up a Boss ME-50 (a multi-effects board thing), but unfortunately when I run it through my amp (Vox AC15) it kills the clean tone of the amp - makes it sound slightly too bassy and a little less crisp and full. It even does this when I've got everything turned off on the ME-50. It's the only pedal plugged up too, and I've got a 5 foot cable from my guitar to it and 5 foot cable from it to the amp. Any ideas?

Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I didn't see an official guitar thread (why isn't there one?). Anyway:

So I recently picked up a Boss ME-50 (a multi-effects board thing), but unfortunately when I run it through my amp (Vox AC15) it kills the clean tone of the amp - makes it sound slightly too bassy and a little less crisp and full. It even does this when I've got everything turned off on the ME-50. It's the only pedal plugged up too, and I've got a 5 foot cable from my guitar to it and 5 foot cable from it to the amp. Any ideas?

Get a true bypass loop pedal thingie, like this:
http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

Fusebox

Banned
Fusebox - dig the RG3120. I have one too. It's one of my favorite shredding guitars :D

Niiiice! I love my RG3120, it's my best axe by far! Is yours the same colour?

I scored a Dark Terror today, I wasn't in the market for a new amp but someone wanted to swap me one for my old iPhone so I grabbed it to make a nice buddy for my Tiny Terror:

6719436805_c0d84a2f09_z.jpg
6719435457_c901f752aa_z.jpg

It's a much louder, hairier beast than the TT that's for sure, and the FX loop is a lovely addition to the formula.

Niiiice! I love my RG3120, it's my best axe by far! Is yours the same colour?

I scored a Dark Terror today, I wasn't in the market for a new amp but someone wanted to swap me one for my old iPhone so I grabbed it to make a nice buddy for my Tiny Terror:

6719436805_c0d84a2f09_z.jpg
6719435457_c901f752aa_z.jpg

It's a much louder, hairier beast than the TT that's for sure, and the FX loop is a lovely addition to the formula.

Yeah, mine is the same color...but I changed the color of my pickups to purple and blue, and the neck to an Air Norton. No matter what other guitars I buy, I keep coming back to my trusty 3120. It was the first high-end guitar I ever bought, and is probably my #1.

that Orange setup looks sweet. And I always loved the look of their cabinets.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think they're in a strange place that isn't pleasing. I'd rather use a Martin LX1 or Baby Taylor. If those are still too big, I'd rather just play a Ukelele or Mandolin. You can only stray from the native format of an instrument concept so far before simply moving to a different instrument would be better. It's not that hard to learn something new and you end up getting much better sound.

Grassy

Well I may as well post some more Orange love now I've found this thread.

87158p40lqhf.jpg

Tiny Terror and 1x12 cab. The 1x12 took 6 months to arrive back in 2007, but it was worth it.

dscf0106_4fe054040dd8tjrtl.jpg

L-R: '04 Gibson LP studio, Maton Carlisle(solid blackwood back and sides, very nice), Fender USA std strat.

2w6c7b5dlqzw.jpg

3v2pe8joyg.jpg

Martin SWDGT. I installed some fossil ivory bridge pins and saddle from Bob Colosi, it sounds amazing especially for fingerstyle playing.

Just picked up a Countryman 5-string banjo;

DSC_0408.jpg

Can't play much on it yet, beyond Big Rock Candy Mountain (which I already know for guitar and mandolin) and the intro to Duelling Banjos.

And this is my mandolin, which I've had for a good few months now but am now finally getting to grips with;

DSC_0409.jpg

None of my guitars are worth photographing though, I'm mainly playing a beat up old Jackson Rhodes V.

Grassy

Cheers, nice score on the Dark Terror! I will be picking one up in the not too distant future, how does it sound through the 1x12?

I've no real guitar gear to post, but figured I'd get some advice from other guitar players here. May of last year I got a new job at a technical support---I sit in front of a PC and type 40 hours a week now. When I get home and do some serious guitar practice, my wrist on my left hand starts to hurt/ache after only about 30 minutes of practice and I'm afraid it's because of my job. Anyone have any advice on how I can try and save my guitar playing wrist while keeping my job? I don't want to play through the pain, so I stop when it hurts. However, 30 minutes just doesn't cut it for practice. I looked at some wrist straps at Wal-Mart---I wasn't sure if wearing one at work would help at all. When I absolutely don't have to type at work, I leave my left hand in my lap, relaxed.

Anyone have any advice on how I can try and save my guitar playing wrist while keeping my job?

This happened to me. Make sure your posture is correct and your equipment set up in an ergonomic way for you.

Ultimately, one guitar had a neck that was too thin, no matter what, and I still get pain within 5 minutes, but the others are fine.

Pachimari

Wasn't there another guitar thread a while ago? Google failed me this time. =/

I am looking to finally buy myself a guitar this/next month, which of these 'beginner sets' would you recommend? I am primarily looking for an acuistic, but maybe electric will be better if I got neighboors, as I can they play it with headphones?

DanGuitar.dk

Should it be Spanish or Western?
Can a guitar be both compatible with right and left-handed? I know some are for right, and others for left, but would be great if there's guitars for both hands.

Wasn't there another guitar thread a while ago? Google failed me this time. =/

This thread? Buying my first guitar

Worth a read.

An acoustic guitar is usually fine for reasonable-hour playing no matter what, but if you have paper-thin walls, you may wish an electric guitar with headphones.

As for a western or Spanish acoustic, that depends on the kind of music you want to play. Gypsy jazz? Flamenco? Classical? Spanish. Everything else: western (aka steel string).

For the electric guitar packages, I can't comment, all the gear is store-brand stuff. If they're spec'd right, the guitars could be just fine.

I wouldn't get a package for an acoustic guitar.

Do you have a smart phone/iPod/iPad? There are tuner apps. Get one for a $1 and save $30 on a tuner.

Get a case humidifier if it's dry over the winter.

Get a capo.

Get a small variety of picks if you get a steel string and you think you want to strum it.

Scuderia

Anyone know if it's particularly difficult to change the pickups on a Strat? I know the processes involved, i just want to know the likelihood of cocking it up, and destroying the guitar.

I have a MIM standard, and i want a more Gilmourish tone.

Fusebox

Banned
Cheers, nice score on the Dark Terror! I will be picking one up in the not too distant future, how does it sound through the 1x12?

Fantastic, the effects loop makes my delay pedal sound expensive! I'm liking the Dark Terror so much my Tiny Terror is now sitting on eBay.

Fusebox

Banned
Ibanez DE-7, I usually use it in Echo mode but the difference between having it between the guitar and amp, and having it in the effects loop is way bigger than I expected. It's never sounded so good.

Anyone know if it's particularly difficult to change the pickups on a Strat? I know the processes involved, i just want to know the likelihood of cocking it up, and destroying the guitar.

It's very straight forward. Don't strip any screws/holes putting it back together.

genjiZERO

Radiohead fan?

Shredmasters are kind of expensive now since they were discontinued a few years ago.

haha, exactly... I don't mind spending $100 or so. I can get a Shredmaster for at most $150. The Turbo Rats are a little cheaper, but there are more chip variants so it's harder to tell which one to get. I've actually been looking at Shredmaster clones... it's got true bypass and an LED which is nice. One went on Ebay a couple days ago for $60...

Red Blaster said:
I have a vanilla Rat which I very much like.

yeah, I like the Rats quite a bit.

Antagon

Does anyone here have a Korg Pandora PX5D? Thinking about buying one for my bass and wondering how useful it is at gigs with some pedals plugged in.

It simply looks a case of removing the old pickups and wires, and replacing them with the new ones exactly. Am i right?

Yes. The hardest part is flipping the pick guard over to work on it, there's not always a lot of slack in the output leads (you can desolder these if you want to work on the pickguard away from the guitar).

Top Bottom