• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurman: Siri coming to Mac OS X 10.12

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/24/apple-siri-osx-10-12-2016/

Apple had been testing versions of OS X internally with Siri integration since at least 2012, but sources now say that Apple has a clear vision for Siri on the Mac along with a polished user-interface and is nearly ready to launch the feature publicly. Apple is expected to introduce OS X 10.12 in June at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Instead of integrating Siri as a swipe menu akin to the Mac’s Notification Center or as a full screen view like on the iPhone and even the iPad Pro, Siri for the Mac will live in the Mac’s Menu Bar. Similar to the Spotlight magnifying glass icon for search and notifications icon for Notification Center, a Siri icon in the top right corner of the menu bar will activate the voice control feature.
If the Mac running the new OS X version is plugged into power, a “Hey Siri” command will work much like with recent iPhone and iPad models.

This has been a long time coming. I wonder if we're also gonna get Control Center with this update (since that was in testing for El Capitan but didn't make the cut).

Also, here's hoping this comes with a host of improvements to Siri in general.

imagine it'll build on the spotlight 'natural language" spotlight search — “show me presentation I made on Friday.” etc.

Would like to see timers/alarms sync with iOS/watchos

Siri and Touch ID on my MacBook, please.

Give it to me.

I can't see TouchID coming until Apple eventually switches over to their own ARM processors in Macs, and that's not gonna happen yet. The secure enclave on the SoC is a crucial part of making TouchID genuinely secure.

Amory

Are they going to make Siri....not terrible?

It's crazy to me how much better Google Now is than Siri.

One thing i'd like to se in 10.12 is apple watch style complications as menu bar items. Create a standard for 3rd party devs + have some built in ones, weather, calendar, activity etc.

Almost exactly like Cortana on Windows 10.

I'll probably shut it off the same way I do Cortana and Siri on my iPad. Google Now is the only voice search that doesn't make me nuts.

One thing i'd like to se in 10.12 is apple watch style complications as menu bar items. Create a standard for 3rd party devs + have some built in ones, weather, calendar, activity etc.

If anything I'd prefer to see it get a standardized 'lock screen' instead of a screensaver (and put complications on there). iOS's lockscreen really needs complications too.

But yeah, beyond fairly obvious iOS-port-overs like Siri and Control Center (and making Siri a lot better than it is now), I'm really hoping 10.12 gets a full-fledged Photos framework (so, basically, a pane in the open/save dialog [if relevant] that'd let apps load and save directly to/from the Photos library).

Also *beats drum* unbundling iTunes into several different apps

Actually, using Siri to launch Automator scripts and AppleScript stuff in general will be potentially really amazing. Here's hoping Apple doesn't do anything terrible like segregate it to launching Mac App Store apps only, lol.

mf.luder

Unless Siri is going to get a massive overhaul, I don't see how this is going to be that beneficial. I hate using it in Canada because it's so slow and why would I want a machine doing a task that I can do much more efficiently.

I know this is still way ahead of WWDC but I need to click a button to activate Siri? WTF. It should always be on (make me download a database or something to prevent the data being sent somewhere) and never need a button to be pressed. Why would I click the siri button, when I could easily hit command space bar and type my search and get it?

It'll be interesting to see how Apple cope with the transition to touch-based UI on their future Mac OS considering how damaging the process was to Microsoft.

Unless Siri is going to get a massive overhaul, I don't see how this is going to be that beneficial. I hate using it in Canada because it's so slow and why would I want a machine doing a task that I can do much more efficiently.

I know this is still way ahead of WWDC but I need to click a button to activate Siri? WTF. It should always be on (make me download a database or something to prevent the data being sent somewhere) and never need a button to be pressed. Why would I click the siri button, when I could easily hit command space bar and type my search and get it?

As the OP says, 'hey siri' will be usable if your device is connected to power.

It'll be interesting to see how Apple cope with the transition to touch-based UI on their future Mac OS considering how damaging the process was to Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure they're much more likely to expand iOS's capabilities and gradually deprecate Mac OS X than they are to add touch interaction to OS X or to combine the two into a single OS.

subrock

As long as I can type to it, I'm okay with this. Although, using spotlight to quickly do common activities is already pretty fast.

I really hope they work on a way for Siri on all of your devices to work together or at least know to not pay attention when you're using a different device. I don't want to say "Hey Siri" on my computer and have my phone start listening.

Siri is totally useless though.

Siri has been garbage tier lately. Honestly I was trying to use it just to create an appointment yesterday and it took 3 tries.

Its so frustrating. I Have a job where My hands are occupied so I try to use siri for calenders, alarms and notes and it always fucks it up

I'm curious to see if my old macbook pro will still get this update. Siri on Mac's is a long time coming for sure.

Yeah, the current feature cutoff for OS X is with the machines that are capable of AirDrop and those that aren't. I wonder if Siri might be only available on *really* new Macs.

Isn't it "Tayne"?

So what the two of you are saying is that there are an abundant number of scenarios in which this could be used.

Glad we solved that dilemma.

I'm not against the feature, just don't think it will be used much, even in the privacy of my apartment I'm not using Siri to dictate texts or open programs on my other Apple devices

Neat. I'm always shooting off texts while I'm on my MBP so this will be a nice addition. Hopefully they make it so that Siri's dictation doesn't take away focus from whatever app you're in. It will make shooting off text replies so damn quick.

Tobor

I can't see TouchID coming until Apple eventually switches over to their own ARM processors in Macs, and that's not gonna happen yet. The secure enclave on the SoC is a crucial part of making TouchID genuinely secure.

Why can't they add an arm chip that handles the security layer?

I'm pretty sure they're much more likely to expand iOS's capabilities and gradually deprecate Mac OS X than they are to add touch interaction to OS X or to combine the two into a single OS.

Bingo. It's exactly what they should do. They already have the touch interface nailed, adding some functionality to iOS is all that's needed.

Fuchsdh

I really hope they work on a way for Siri on all of your devices to work together or at least know to not pay attention when you're using a different device. I don't want to say "Hey Siri" on my computer and have my phone start listening.

Yeah this is my only concern.

As is, though, only my computer would be listening for "Hey Siri" so my phone wouldn't be an issue. People with more iOS and Macs running concurrently could have a harder problem.

But if it worked well this would be enough of Amazon's Alexa to satisfy me.

Wasn't 10.11 supposed to be the stability update? Been running a lot better than Yosemite for me at least.

Yeah, but there are still some big spots for improvement. Certainly 10.11 is far better from a performance standpoint.

mf.luder

As the OP says, 'hey siri' will be usable if your device is connected to power.

haha, my bad. I read the article on my own earlier and must've stopped just after reading clicking the button part because I see where it talks about the power in the next paragraph.

I still hope they make it much quicker.

Carlisle

Can't wait to say "Hey Siri" and have three devices go off at once

It should definitely be a keyboard key you hold down to speak like the Apple TV remote. No taking up taskbar space. Just hold fn or some key you never use for a second to get the prompt up.

OS X needs less features added and more stability focus for the next update. Hopefully this is the only major feature they add.
There's a degree to which new features can *help* with Apple's ability to make stable software (see: tearing down iPhoto and replacing it with Photos). Like, I think that killing the iTunes/QTPlayer/Mac App Store apps and replacing them with Music/Video/App Store apps would be brilliant from a feature standpoint AND improve Apple's ability to keep developing them and get rid of crufty old code.

Part of me would even want a fully separate Media Store app for music/books/tv/movies, to be honest. I kinda wish most of Apple Music on iOS had been folded into the iTunes Store app instead of into the Music app.

Too many iOS and OS X apps are riddled with shitty WebKit views.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Its so frustrating. I Have a job where My hands are occupied so I try to use siri for calenders, alarms and notes and it always fucks it up

ironically I use her almost daily for all of these with well over 90% accuracy. I would feel a little insincere saying "99%", but I honestly can't remember the last time she failed.

The only "come the fuck on siri" that I've hit is since Apple Music... whenever you have something loaded up in background audio (apple music, sound cloud, shazam, etc).. if it's not playing, but still loaded up, and you ask siri "what song is playing?" wanting her to identify a song playing say in a club or the car or something.. she will identify the song still in memory in the background audio app.

but outside of that.. calendars, notes, alarms, timers, and maps on both my phone and watch have been flawless for longer than I care to remember now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom