• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurman: Siri coming to Mac OS X 10.12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I don't get fired for saying this... but I wish we didn't do Annual OS X updates. :/
It makes it easier for Apple to roll out new services across its entire line of devices, but it also means less time to really get a new major OS version number to
be truly rock-solid stable.

ironically I use her almost daily for all of these with well over 90% accuracy. I would feel a little insincere saying "99%", but I honestly can't remember the last time she failed.

The only "come the fuck on siri" that I've hit is since Apple Music... whenever you have something loaded up in background audio (apple music, sound cloud, shazam, etc).. if it's not playing, but still loaded up, and you ask siri "what song is playing?" wanting her to identify a song playing say in a club or the car or something.. she will identify the song still in memory in the background audio app.

but outside of that.. calendars, notes, alarms, timers, and maps on both my phone and watch have been flawless for longer than I care to remember now.

The only times I have a problem with Siri is when trying to activate it with my bathroom speakers when the shower is on and when it's plugged into a car and just left in the cup holder which I guess makes for awkward acoustics. Other than that I use it fairly often, especially for setting timers in the kitchen and whatnot.

The only times I have a problem with Siri is when trying to activate it with my bathroom speakers when the shower is on and when it's plugged into a car and just left in the cup holder which I guess makes for awkward acoustics. Other than that I use it fairly often, especially for setting timers in the kitchen and whatnot.

Siri's great for timers/alarms/reminders (basically for giving simple instructions to some built-in apps) but not so great when it comes to getting information. I definitely think a major problem it's got is that people aren't used to using it, though, and once you develop a habit of not using it (because it was pretty crummy when it launched on the 4S) it's difficult to change that and start using Siri more regularly.

rezuth

Siri's great for timers/alarms/reminders (basically for giving simple instructions to some built-in apps) but not so great when it comes to getting information. I definitely think a major problem it's got is that people aren't used to using it, though, and once you develop a habit of not using it (because it was pretty crummy when it launched on the 4S) it's difficult to change that and start using Siri more regularly.

Telling my charging phone to set an wake alarm while in bed is great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're going to need some way to control which decide recognises it. I already have a problem in our house when my kids iPads are charging and I use 'hey Siri' on my phone they all beep at me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why can't they add an arm chip that handles the security layer?

Bingo. It's exactly what they should do. They already have the touch interface nailed, adding some functionality to iOS is all that's needed.

And the recent 'pro' branding hopefully gives us a peek at that. Expand iCloud Drive into a decent Dropbox/onedrive solution as their file system alternative, give me mouse support alongside the keyboard, and I can probably do most things on iPad. Would still need Remote Desktop until Adobe brings pad though but Remote Desktop with a mouse and keyboard is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom