• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Had to Shut Down a Co-Worker on the Subject of Slavery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't "slavery" in ancient Rome closer to indentured servitude than what we would consider slavery in that it wasn't based on race, you could be freed (and once you were freed, there wasn't much social stigma), and a lot of times it was based on owing a debt?

Varied, as I mentioned previously. A person could willingly submit themselves to 'slavery' under another (the Bible in fact provides guidelines on this under Jewish society) if they were in severe financial difficulty. So you couldn't care for yourself, and offered your body and employment in exchange for being taken care of. But you could also be a slave because your kingdom got taken over and you've been taken as part of the spoils, to be sold to help make up for the cost of the conflict and/or make the victors even richer. Either way though, even as a slave, you often had basic rights, and the status of being a slave was not hereditary - it did not pass to your children.

Neither of those points was true of slavery in the United States.

Zaheer

Oh yeah, that old "indentured servitude = chattel slavery" bullshit. I'm guessing he brought up that article about the "Irish Slaves" that's usually mentioned along with this shit, not knowing it was written by a Holocaust denier. Hell, he probably brought up how black people have BET, Ms. Black America, or black colleges, too. Heard this shit for years living in SC.

Any chance you work at any of the Palmetto Health or Lexington Medical locations? My mom worked at those hospitals for years and usually dealt with shit like this from time to time.

Varied, as I mentioned previously. A person could willingly submit themselves to 'slavery' under another (the Bible in fact provides guidelines on this under Jewish society) if they were in severe financial difficulty. So you couldn't care for yourself, and offered your body and employment in exchange for being taken care of. But you could also be a slave because your kingdom got taken over and you've been taken as part of the spoils, to be sold to help make up for the cost of the conflict and/or make the victors even richer. Either way though, even as a slave, you often had basic rights, and the status of being a slave was not hereditary - it did not pass to your children.

Neither of those points was true of slavery in the United States.

There was no other system in any other culture that I know of that can compare to Western slavery. In most ancient Eastern cultures slavery was a kin to the episode of Seinfeld where they were writing a pilot about a guy being sentenced to be a butler. In Western slavery you weren't even considered to be a human.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't like this narrative of "who had it worse". Evil is evil, both should never have existed in this world.

Wasn't "slavery" in ancient Rome closer to indentured servitude than what we would consider slavery in that it wasn't based on race, you could be freed (and once you were freed, there wasn't much social stigma), and a lot of times it was based on owing a debt?

Yes but were still at the bottom of the totem pole even after freed. Also, IIRC when I took Roman History during undergrad, there was still a social stigma attached to it.

It was either one was born a Roman citizen or had a life of bullshit.

bachikarn

Where the hell is this narrative about indentured servitude being equal to slavery coming from. I mean, the US education system fails in many ways, but that was a difference that was well made when I was a kid. Is it some alt-right YouTube fuckery?

Pretty sure that was the argument the South made during the civil war. Guess some of the bullshit believes resurface every now and then.

That reminds me of what I heard about them trying to breed-out intelligence too. I don't know if it's true or not since I didn't look into the subject more thoroughly, but has anyone else heard about that?

There was no other system in any other culture that I know of that can compare to Western slavery. In most ancient Eastern cultures slavery was a kin to the episode of Seinfeld where they were writing a pilot about a guy being sentenced to be a butler. In Western slavery you weren't even considered to be a human.

Well, part of the difficulty in comparison is the sheer oddity of it. Slavery in most other parts of the world existed as part of a pre-existing culture and society, often millennia old in some fashion, by the time the transatlantic slave trade kicked into high gear. Like, more people were 'slaves' in India for most of the USA's existence (even including colony days), but that was the homeland their forefathers had been born into for ages prior, and some basic treatment was built into the culture. In the Americas, it was a blank slate (thanks cholera) that had a heavy demand for raw labour, with slaves sourced from outside of the society that the slavers came from - not even a close region that was long known to the slavers, in comparison to say, the Arab african slave trade. In the minds of the slavers - and indeed, a point of contention in the late 1700s when the legality of slavery was brought up in England - there were no existing rules, no restrictions, and so they set about creating one of the worst systems ever to exist on the face of the earth, stealing 4-5 million people from their homes over the span of a couple centuries, erasing identities to the point that in the vast majority of cases, we can merely refer to the victims as that which their abusers dubbed them - 'black'.

I feel for you OP. That was a dumb move on his part to spout such a stupid thing at work, especially for a contractor. I'm used to the occasional knucklehead employee, but people have been dismissed from contract positions for less.
By the way, hospital sysadmin high five!

I got stuck in a 20min convo with a couple of trump supporters (in canada) at a tobaccoist. unfortunately one of the supporters was the very nice, quite ignorant, middle aged lady running the shop (so i was unable to make my purchase and leave) and another was a typical overweight white dude in a megadeth band t.

Average white guy talked about how the term african-american was dumb and he was vindecated by his black canadian friend, thought trumps immigration policies were fine because he was vindecated by his iranian step mother, said slavery is not his problem because he is of irish descent (also were canadian as Ive said), said the thing about how it was africans who sold us black ppl, etc.

The conversation itself wasn't heated, and I made sure to keep it calm. Didnt antagonise the guy and told him what I knew of Irans government transistions since the 50s, talked about how african-american is an ethnic term rather than a racial one, and bought my sick ass Don Tomas cigar.

LifEndz

Going forward, I would say nothing more than the topic is inappropriate for the workplace and I am really uncomfortable with it. If it persists, HR is my next stop. I've shut down all types of nonsense with that line.

Yes but were still at the bottom of the totem pole even after freed. Also, IIRC when I took Roman History during undergrad, there was still a social stigma attached to it.

It was either one was born a Roman citizen or had a life of bullshit.

It became less of an issue as time went on. There are at least a few cases of sons of slaves becoming senators and one Emperor who was the son of a slave.

It became less of an issue as time went on. There are at least a few cases of sons of slaves becoming senators and one Emperor who was the son of a slave.

Yep. Diocletian to be a bit more precise - some sources try to disparage him as the son of a freedman, while a few others suggest he was a freedman himself. Slavery was a complex system in Roman society, which is why trying to compare it to American chattel slavery is kinda dumb.

Vice

I don't like this narrative of "who had it worse". Evil is evil, both should never have existed in this world.
There are degrees of evil though. Indentured servitude is not as bad as slavery. The forced expulsion of a race from a country is not as bad as a Holocaust-event. The game of "who had it worse" can seem pointless, but in many cases people did have it work and to compare slavery to indentured servitude is either reducing what slavery is or making indentured servitude appear much worse to deminish the horrors of slavery.

Dali

Holy shit, how did I know based on just the title of the thread they were going to pull some indentured servant or share cropper = slave bullshit?

Holy shit, how did I know based on just the title of the thread they were going to pull some indentured servant or share cropper = slave bullshit?

High probability that the incident took place in an American context, and indentured servitude = chattel slavery is the popular false equivalance of choice in that context, with Irish slaves shortly after.

Freakin history. When I was in school they told us that indentured servants were only Africans "migrants" and later became slaves.

Sounds like he also needed a history lesson on Colonial Virginia and the fallout from Bacon's Rebellion that lead to the ruling class working to create racial divides between poor whites/indentured servants and black slaves.

lmao was the transition to slavery that abrupt? what a nutty conversation. good on you for shutting him down with the facts.

lmao was the transition to slavery that abrupt? what a nutty conversation. good on you for shutting him down with the facts.

Something people tend to not realize about being a minority, especially a visible one.

People take that as carte blanche to just GO on the most hateful, random ass disgusting tangents on a whim because you represent the totality of the "other" to them at that particular instance.

You get to be spokesman a lot.

PKrockin

I don't know where this idea that slaves were bred into "super slaves" came from, but I doubt anything of the sort could have been accomplished in just a few generations.

We're talking about reality, not hypothetical history

Yep. And in reality, one was worse.

Sure, many indentured servants never had the chance to leave their employers/contract holders service. But they had a contract, they had rights, they were still human.

One being bad doesn't preclude the other being worse and doesn't automatically make the implication of this assertion unclear. It's a common tactic to show "see everybody had it bad not just black people".

Something people tend to not realize about being a minority, especially a visible one.

People take that as carte blanche to just GO on the most hateful, random ass disgusting tangents on a whim because you represent the totality of the "other" to them at that particular instance.

You get to be spokesman a lot.

I've gotten it a lot with "terrorist talk" because of my ethnicity. like I somehow know how to fix the middle east or the thoughts and dreams of the Al Qaeda.

its just bizarre to hear it spelled out in a story like this. it never won't be weird as hell how people just immediately feel the need to bring shit like this up just because of your skin color.

akira28

Where the hell is this narrative about indentured servitude being equal to slavery coming from. I mean, the US education system fails in many ways, but that was a difference that was well made when I was a kid. Is it some alt-right YouTube fuckery?

Man I used to stand around arguing historical errata with racist white boys all day. It was called grade school. You think they're learning anything about black people in history class? One died to start the Revolutionary War, one invented peanut butter, some of them helped white men do great things, and one of them fought for Civil Rights. And now thanks to the school book system, slaves are going to be called immigrant workers, and there's nothing stopping that from coming out of the pipe now. So bohica, because the shit is only beginning. They're bold now. And in charge.

I don't know where this idea that slaves were bred into "super slaves" came from, but I doubt anything of the sort could have been accomplished in just a few generations.

there were slave eugenics programs. you can look into it if you care. breeding farms.

I've gotten it a lot with "terrorist talk" because of my ethnicity. like I somehow know how to fix the middle east or the thoughts and dreams of the Al Qaeda.

its just bizarre to hear it spelled out in a story like this. it never won't be weird as hell how people just immediately feel the need to bring shit like this up just because of your skin color.

Oh it's weird as fuck for sure. Like god damn like I know how to defeat ISIS.

It's why I shaved my beard.

Fugu

Y'all should really look at the academics on this instead of going on what you learned in high school. Indentured servitude is a form of slavery and was, in many cases, every bit as bad as chattel slavery. Do some reading into the history of the Caribbean.

im pretty sure the issue is that eugenics programs were attempted by slaveowners in the first place, not whether or not they were successful.

BigDes

Hard to answer this one concisely because Ancient Rome lasted for several centuries and the social mores changed quite often.

I think that people tend to view all slavery as the same and it isn't. The slavery enacted upon the African people and later their American descendants was a particularly brutal and vicious form of it based on ideas of racial superiority, religious ideals and all sorts of other evil bullshit.

I'm not even sure the two systems are worth comparing all that much to be honest.

But to put it simply and leaving out a ton of detail and context

In Ancient Rome you lost a war therefore you have to do what we say.

American/European slavery, God put you on Earth as our inferiors to do our work for us and you aren't even a person anyway so it is ok for us to brutalise and destroy you at our whim.

Cocaloch

Y'all should really look at the academics on this instead of going on what you learned in high school. Indentured servitude is a form of slavery and was, in many cases, every bit as bad as chattel slavery. Do some reading into the history of the Caribbean.

Nah. People go too far in saying they were completly and totally different by taking an ideal type of Indentured servitude. Like this

Indentured servants weren't slaves. They weren't stolen from their homes. They weren't split up from their families, never to see them again. Once they served their time, they're done.

is not true in all cases.

But slavery was certainly far worse. Especially as you get into the late 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Because ideologies of race start mixing with those justifying slavery.

It's an awkward place to be put in as an academic. I understand why people downplay indentured servitude, because a lot of racist people use it to downplay slavery, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the way in which they do it.

The best approach epistemologically is nuance, but this intersects with very real issues today. American slavery and American racism are so intertwined as to be impossible to disentangle today. To nuance the argument runs the risk of hurting real people being oppressed today. As a result this is one of the few issues than I tend to just not speak on.

Hard to answer this one concisely because Ancient Rome lasted for several centuries and the social mores changed quite often.

I think that people tend to view all slavery as the same and it isn't. The slavery enacted upon the African people and later their American descendants was a particularly brutal and vicious form of it based on ideas of racial superiority, religious ideals and all sorts of other evil bullshit.

I'm not even sure the two systems are worth comparing all that much to be honest.

But to put it simply and leaving out a ton of detail and context

In Ancient Rome you lost a war therefore you have to do what we say.

American/European slavery, God put you on Earth as our inferiors to do our work for us and you aren't even a person anyway so it is ok for us to brutalise and destroy you at our whim.

The same case works for this too. Early slavery, say 1630 Virginia, had little to nothing in common with what we think of when we think of slavery in America.

Sounds like he also needed a history lesson on Colonial Virginia and the fallout from Bacon's Rebellion that lead to the ruling class working to create racial divides between poor whites/indentured servants and black slaves.

I like Morgan's thesis, but it's been criticized from the left and the right. And this is ignoring that most of the south's tradition of slavery comes from the Caribbean not Virginia, Maryland being the exception.

Freakin history. When I was in school they told us that indentured servants were only Africans "migrants" and later became slaves.

What? Where did you go to school? I went to really shitty public schools in the deep south and they did a much better job than this.

Pretty sure that was the argument the South made during the civil war. Guess some of the bullshit believes resurface every now and then.

I'm no Americanist, but that seems totally wrong to me. That equivalence wouldn't fit with the racial ideology of the time. It's the argument that a lot of Americans make now.

This does a good job of reducing the world into West and other. British, Spanish, and French systems of slavery in the early modern period differed from each other and over time. We should analyze each system as it was in its particularities. I agree with your point that the early modern British, Spanish, and French systems were probably noticeably worse than all others by the late 18th century. That being said we shouldn't take them to be the same system.

I never liked the idea of indentured servitude and the servants in the images were always African. Always seemed like another lie.

What do you mean you didn't like the "idea of indentured servitude". I mean it existed, we have extremely extensive records of it, because a number of people signed contracts agreeing to be indentured servants. Though the servants were overwhelmingly not African.

People will spin shit any way in order to think that slaves didn't have it that bad and black people are just a bunch of whiners. It's entirely possible to acknowledge the horrible things that happened to indentured servants without turning it into the Oppression Olympics.

This is why I really don't get into it with people. My opinion of some people I thought were cool took a nosedive, even a lot of my well-meaning friends just bury their heads in anime and games and are woefully unprepared to form educated opinions on some of these subjects.

Cocaloch

People will spin shit any way in order to think that slaves didn't have it that bad and black people are just a bunch of whiners. It's entirely possible to acknowledge the horrible things that happened to indentured servants without turning it into the Oppression Olympics.

This is why I really don't get into it with people. My opinion of some people I thought were cool took a nosedive, even a lot of my well-meaning friends just bury their heads in anime and games and are woefully unprepared to form educated opinions on some of these subjects.

I think the argument is supposed to be less slaves didn't have it bad and more slaves could have risen in society just like Irish people. Of course this is incredibly stupid because it completely ignores any existence of racism. It's a mixture of bootstraps and racism doesn't exist anymore.

Cocaloch

They love revisionist history.

Also can we stop using revisionist history as an insult. Revising history is good. Revisionism in history is part of the reason we are able to understand slavery in its horribleness.

Accepting the received narrative without question can be dumb. Disagreeing with historical interpretations that don't mesh with what you were taught in high school is not only dumb, but supports people who claim that the civil war was fought over state's rights and not slavery at all along with other terrible things. Don't forget people were taught this garbage in schools, as this thread shows. We need to teach people to think critically about the past.

Stop denying what happened to the Irish because White Racists in America use it to deny what happened to black people.

Indentured Servitude is slavery. But no it wasn't as bad as what happened to African slaves, little in history was.

But let's remember something else, the british committed two genocides in Ireland in the preceding centuries

Cromwell was responsible for a third of the population disappearing.

And the Potato famine wasn't a famine. A crop failed. The Conditions were put in place by the crown that most Irish could grow little else. During that period Ireland kept exporting other crops to the empire while the people had to eat grass. We had food.

Millions died and millions had to emigrate. Our population is still over 3 million people less than before the famine. Today.

What happened to Ireland doesn't demean or belittle what happened to the African slaves nor should it and anyone who would do that is using it as a cover and couldn't care less about either.

Cocaloch

Stop denying what happened to the Irish because White Racists in America use it to deny what happened to black people.

Indentured Servitude is slavery. But no it wasn't as bad as what happened to African slaves, little in history was.

But let's remember something else, the british committed two genocides in Ireland in the preceding centuries

Cromwell was responsible for a third of the population disappearing.

And the Potato famine wasn't a famine. A crop failed. The Conditions were put in place by the crown that most Irish could grow little else. During that period Ireland kept exporting other crops to the empire while the people had to eat grass. We had food.

Millions died and millions had to emigrate. Our population is still over 3 million people less than before the famine. Today.

What happened to Ireland doesn't demean or belittle what happened to the African slaves nor should it and anyone who would do that is using it as a cover and couldn't care less about either.

Let me just preface this by saying I am an Irish historian.

This is neither the time nor the place to take a hard stance like this. Portraying indentured servitude as a monolith is factually wrong, has the potential to erase the suffering of many people, and should probably be avoided.

Yet, not only was American slavery in the 18th and 19th centuries far worse, but narratives surrounding it play into discourse today on race in the United States. It is being used as a tool against people living and breathing now. Diffusing that must come first.

Just to be clear I 100% agree that the use of a piece of history distorted or otherwise to lessen the impact of a hideous murderous oppression is a terrible act.

And that is what the guy in the OP was trying to do. No doubt.

Cocaloch

Just to be clear I 100% agree that the use of a piece of history distorted or otherwise to lessen the impact of a hideous murderous oppression is a terrible act.

And that is what the guy in the OP was trying to do. No doubt.

Okay, then you should still take this into account though.

The famine was not a genocide, though it belongs somewhere on a spectrum with genocide. Cromwell was horrible, but the events of the civil war and the war between the Catholic Confederacy and the Commonwealth were also not a genocide. Besides the Vatican and especially the papal nuncio probably deserve around as much blame as the English for how that turned out. These events were horrible, but we run the risk of erasing them as actual events by turning them into partisan issues instead of trying to actually understand them as they were.

This isn't a pressing matter for the Irish people. We have the rest of our existence to deal with constructing a historiography that properly addresses the harm done to the Irishmen and women of the past. But black Americans are being impacted by these arguments here and now. That must be more important.

I think there's an argument to be made in that indentured servitude was itself a form of slavery, but you can't make the argument that the indentured servants had conditions similar to black slaves in the south.

CrazyDude

Roman slavery was brutal early on(if you were a physical labor slave and not a white collar slave(accountants, doctor, ect), but by the time of Nero, slaves could take complaints against their masters to court. S

Cocaloch

I think there's an argument to be made in that indentured servitude was itself a form of slavery, but you can't make the argument that the indentured servants had conditions similar to black slaves in the south.

This is all an issue of nuance if we are trying to be totally accurate. The idea that all the things we called indentured servitude are the same is incorrect. There is clearly a spectrum here. Your normal Englishman that signed a contract to work for 7 years in exchange for transport and was not cheated at any step of the process is on one end, those who were kidnapped and forced into it on another. The Irish prisoners from the Commenwealth's war with the Catholic Confederacy that were force into it for life are the extreme part of that end. And yet that experience was also qualitatively and quantitatively less terrible than the slavery of Black Americans in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Again though, the issue here is not only wie es eigentlicht gewessen. This discourse has real implications for people living and breathing today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom