• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 2 Update 06/25/04

Sai

... Describing the new weapons is fun too, since it means I know pretty much every weapon, vehicle and device that's going to be in the game, how they work, which ones boost, which have secondary fire, what the zoom levels are and what it is exactly that shoots out of them. This doesn’t necessarily mean I know how to use them…

mistersquid.jpg

The rest can be found here.

Secondary fire! HMMMM!

Arrrgh. Disappointing update compared to last week's... The new build they talk about sounds like it might be the X04 NY event version.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
X04 is in september though isnt it? You'd expect them to be showing something other than Zanzibar by then.

Whats so shocking about him saying secondary fire?

The update mentioned that they only have 24 hours left to finish the beta. Is that the online multiplayer beta mentioned earlier? Oh gee golly I hope so! Getting in on that would be swell.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
morbidaza said:
A more powerful version of a slightly charged shot when you don't hold.

key difference being that a charged plasma shot can take down shields with 1 hit, and also has limited homing ability.

but yeah, secondary fire will be cool. i presume you can't use secondary fire for dual-wielded weapons?

----

http://chespace.ogamo.com

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The charged shot was a secondary fire, just like single shots, bursts and full auto with the assault rifle, all alternate firing modes. You arent gonna get two triggers for one gun in halo as the second trigger is for grenades or the second weapon.

chespace

Ghost said:
The charged shot was a secondary fire, just like single shots, bursts and full auto with the assault rifle, all alternate firing modes. You arent gonna get two triggers for one gun in halo as the second trigger is for grenades or the second weapon.

When I played Zanzibar at E3, I don't recall the new assault rifle having a fully automatic fire mode. When you're in scope mode, it works like a sniper rifle (albeit more like a zoomed in pistol from halo), and when you're using it close-quarters, it fires 3 round bursts. For fully automatic fire, you'll want to wield dual-SMGs. Pretty wicked stuff. I also love how they balance dual-weapons... if you're holding two weapons, you can't throw grenades. Pretty good trade-off. (also note: not every weapon can be held in dual mode).

----

chespace said:
When I played Zanzibar at E3, I don't recall the new assault rifle having a fully automatic fire mode. When you're in scope mode, it works like a sniper rifle (albeit more like a zoomed in pistol from halo), and when you're using it close-quarters, it fires 3 round bursts. For fully automatic fire, you'll want to wield dual-SMGs. Pretty wicked stuff. I also love how they balance dual-weapons... if you're holding two weapons, you can't throw grenades. Pretty good trade-off. (also note: not every weapon can be held in dual mode).

Even the rocket launcher? Doesn't that require two hands to fire?

Also, 3 round burst is good news to hear. I love that, it's so much more accurate and ammo conservative than full auto.

chespace

StrikerObi said:
Even the rocket launcher? Doesn't that require two hands to fire?

Also, 3 round burst is good news to hear. I love that, it's so much more accurate and ammo conservative than full auto.

I said -not- every weapon can be dual-wielded. AFAIK, in the demo we played, only needlers and SMGs could be dual-wielded. (i could be wrong.) of course, you could have a combination of a needler in one hand, and a SMG in the other. the rocket launcher, shotgun, and the assault rifle could not be dual-wielded. the pistol is gone, and your default weapon is a SMG (which is really like an uzi. awesome rate of fire).

actually, i think you can also dual-wield the plasma rifle.

----

Sai

You could dual-weild the Plasma Rifle too. But the Needler/SMG combinations were more common/popular.

Seems like a lot of people didn't bother with it. Did you mess around with it, che? Any changes?

chespace

Sai said:
You could dual-weild the Plasma Rifle too. But the Needler/SMG combinations were more common/popular.

Seems like a lot of people didn't bother with it. Did you mess around with it, che? Any changes?

unfortunately, no. i mostly stuck to the needler/SMG (which was an extremely versatile combo). i did try it, a couple times, but found it to be kind of redundant (although at its rate of fire, a simultaneous plasma rifle volley could tear through someone's shield in a jiffy.

my question is, did anybody try dual-wielding plasma pistols? i can imagine skilled players getting clever with that. now that i think of it, having a plasma pistol on hand to take down someone's shield, then go nuts with the plasma rifle could be a devastating combo.

----

Hero

I heard that they completely changed grenade physics for the game. Is this true? And if so, can anyone explain how they act now?

I remember there being a plasma sword at E3, will there be a plasma shield to go with this?

Joe

i remember reading that they will bounce a lot more. im thinking it'll be like the grenades in couner-strike, maybe a little bit less "bouncy".

chespace

Joe said:
i remember reading that they will bounce a lot more. im thinking it'll be like the grenades in couner-strike, maybe a little bit less "bouncy".

Counter-Strike has the least bouncy grenades ever.

Yeah, the energy blade is still in the game, it just wasn't playable at E3.

----

Joe

you can bounce a grenade off a wall in CS pretty far, and in halo they go almost nowhere in comparison.

Sai

Hero said:
...will there be a plasma shield to go with this?
The Jackal's Energy Shield? Not confirmed, and very doubtful, honestly. Master Chief already has an energy shield that's based around the the Energy Shield technology. And plus, a SPARTAN with a Energy Sword/Energy Shield/Overshield combo would be all but invincible. :p

chespace said:
Yeah, the energy blade is still in the game, it just wasn't playable at E3.
Yes it was. :)

Unless, by "wasn't playable" you meant "impossible to get to".

[EDIT] - And about the grenades: I'm guessing they bounce less. Physics for everything seem a little heavier and grounded in HALO 2.

shpankey

not an idiot
The grenades in Quake II were pretty bouncy if I recall. Especially from the grenade launcher thingy. I still remember the distinct sound they made when they bounced around.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
The Jackal's Energy Shield? Not confirmed, and very doubtful, honestly. Master Chief already has an energy shield that's based around the the Energy Shield technology. And plus, a SPARTAN with a Energy Sword/Energy Shield/Overshield combo would be all but invincible. :p

Yes it was. :)

Unless, by "wasn't playable" you meant "impossible to get to".

[EDIT] - And about the grenades: I'm guessing they bounce less. Physics for everything seem a little heavier and grounded in HALO 2.

Except for the jumps, which looked higher and longer.

Top Bottom