• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 was ahead of its time

Smokey

With the bolded, You are butchering my argument. The H5 BR in BTB is the antithesis of what I'm saying, because instead of a weapon that requires skill to use at range (H5 magnum), we get you a weapon that is too easy to use at range.

there is a difference between "effective at range" and being "suitable at range."

To your point, The H5 magnum is obviously not a long range weapon. It's effectively a close-mid ranged weapon. But if you are skilled, you can outplay a DMR user at long range. There is no randomness incorporated into the magnum to limit its range, they simply turn the assists off outside of RRR, and let skill take over. I'm H3, With two evenly skilled BR users the winner of a ranged 1v1 was whoever was luckiest.

The H3BRs effective range was already limited by the
  • lack of aim assist outside of RRR
  • lack of magnetism outside of RRR
  • the existence of spread
  • the need to lead your target.

Those things already keep the BR from dominating at range. Adding random spread on top of that just turned what should have been a reward for being skilled enough to overcome the weapons limitations, into a matter of pure luck.

What is RRR?

Halo 3 is my favorite halo title to this day, not only because i love the capaign but also because of how much fun me and my friends had creating different types of games and stipulations in multiplayer

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Weren't a lot of these features basically just implementing what PC games did in a console space?

Blueblur1

I joined GAF because of 1up news posts sourcing it for news, Stinkles being on here, and because of the hype building around Halo 3 on GAF! (My tenth anniversary is coming up too!) Halo 3 was rough in the multiplayer department (balancing, crappy achievements like Two for One!, and crap playlist management that was made worse by Microsoft's meddling) but I have many many great memories from it and a million Halo 3 OT posts!!

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm playing Halo 3 right now and it's still one of the most well crafted shooters ever conceived. Every single aspect of Halo 3's design is polished to a shimmering gleam, each segment of the campaign constantly tops the last until it ends in an explosive finale.

The multiplayer balances map memorisation with weapon balance expertly, it's something 343 have struggled to quite understand about Halo.

In fact 343's issue with Halo is that they focus on Spartans. Throughtout the duration of Halo 3, Chief is almost always leading a pack of UNSC soldiers. He isn't a super hero, he's a leading member of the army. Neither the story nor gameplay revolves around being a Spartan, it's just an excuse for why Chief's health regenerates and why his melees are so powerful. It's not about being able to hover or glide or cause a mini earthquake, it's about a man who's good with guns.

Nothing showcases this more than Halo 3 ODST, a game that people love because you feel vulnerable. It isn't about being a super hero, much like Halo 1-3. It's about surviving, finding guns, finding ammo and being good with a gun. Halo 3 ODST is so good because it isn't actually that different to the orginal trilogy at all, you're just playing as a weaker guy.

In Halo 5 even the ODST's are super heroes, it's all about spartans and "playing like a spartan" where as that was never the case with Halo 1-3. Halo 3 was ahead of its time and it is still ahead of 343's efforts. Doom showed us that we don't need to follow modern genre refinements to be good, Halo doomed itself when it tried to play catch up with the industry. Combat Evolved and Halo 2 changed the industry, Halo 4 and 5 tried to play catch up and they failed.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Still really bummed how Bungie innovated and lead console multiplayer design, then forgot it all for Destiny.

Hoping D2 launches with a more extensive MP suite, but I doubt it. :(

Their community engagement remains good in other ways, though. They constantly feature players in their weekly posts, and focus on lots of community activities and achievements.

The Destiny Companion App is similar to the Bungie website for Halo, but other than that... yeah.. what made Destiny exciting initially was Bungie's multiplayer expertise and vision and then the extensive campaign/co-op promises on top of that. It was set to become one of the greatest games of all time instead of a disappointing (albeit still good, but just good) game.

Destiny 2 will hopefully remedy this. I hope. :/

KageMaru

Still really bummed how Bungie innovated and lead console multiplayer design, then forgot it all for Destiny.

Hoping D2 launches with a more extensive MP suite, but I doubt it. :(

Their community engagement remains good in other ways, though. They constantly feature players in their weekly posts, and focus on lots of community activities and achievements.

This, this, so very this. You got so much value in Hal 3 and Reach. Then Destiny comes around and it's as if getting in bed with the devil changed all that.

Sulik2

Griff ball becoming an official playlist was the best thing about Halo 3. The Halo party system starting with halo two still works better then the party system in most games today.

I can't possibly explain how much theatre and forge mode changed my expectations for games going forward. I expected at least theatre mode out of pretty much every shooter from then on and was so upset that it didn't become a standard feature.

Theater and Forge should be in way more games. I get that devs smoke and mirrors to hide stuff and it won't work with every engine..... doesn't stop me from wanting it. Reach is IMO the most technically impressive 360 game(Horizon/Crysis2/3 is up there as well) for being able to do all it does and still have it all viewable in theater mode.

Raptomex

Yeah. I spent tons of time in the theater mode and took hundreds of screen shots. The stat tracking was awesome, too. Very detailed.

Fantastic game. Easily the best halo. Playing 5 now and neither the single player or multiplayer come close.

343 are in a weird place where they fundamentally don't understand what made halo interesting but aren't confident enough to fully break convention and do their own thing.

It's very frustrating because you can see the talent at the studio but they just seem like their wasting their abilities on poor foundations.

Fantastic game. Easily the best halo. Playing 5 now and neither the single player or multiplayer come close.

343 are in a weird place where they fundamentally don't understand what made halo interesting but aren't confident enough to fully break convention and do their own thing.

It's very frustrating because you can see the talent at the studio but they just seem like their wasting their abilities on poor foundations.

Halo 5 feels like a mishmash of ideas, the advertising for instance seems to be for an entirely different plot. 343's main issue is focusing on Spartans. In the original trilogy Master Chief was just a guy in a big suit of armor, he wasn't a super hero.

Kill3r7

Halo 5 feels like a mishmash of ideas, the advertising for instance seems to be for an entirely different plot. 343's main issue is focusing on Spartans. In the original trilogy Master Chief was just a guy in a big suit of armor, he wasn't a super hero.

MC was always a superhero, he is after all a super soldier. The difference is that we happened to experience the epic journey first hand. The story arch concluded with Halo 3. To this day, I still don't get the point of Halo 4&5. They do nothing to enrich the character or add to the mythos.

Tawpgun

I think Halo 2 was even more ahead of its time but Halo 3 sure was as well.

I don't know what happened with game development since then. It's not a 343 problem because other studios are doing this more and more but every since Reach, every single Halo game has launched with less features and content than Halo 3.

Izayoi

Banned
MC was always a superhero, he is after all a super soldier. The difference is that we happened to experience the epic journey first hand. The story arch concluded with Halo 3. To this day, I still don't get the point of Halo 4&5. They do nothing to enrich the character or add to the mythos.
$$$$
Daddy Microsoft gotta milk that cow.

It's hard to blame 343 for the games being completely soulless when literally the only reason they exist is to drain existing fans for as much as they can before the franchise dies forever.

They are empty and devoid of passion. Designed by a committee of executives, outsourced, and assembly - lined. It's a shame.

Top Bottom